Become a Patron!

Hohm Slice

Mazam

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Was tempted to pull the trigger on the Vaporbeast sale, but I saw Hohm Tech mention yesterday in the comments of Vapingwithtwisted420's review that they were:

"We are addressing battery door topic, as well as updating FSK chip to latest firmware, and we're now installing taller fire buttons to ensure the low profile button better flows with the other buttons. It won't be a v2 however, it'll retain the Slice name, and it'll be here in next week"

Was curious about the chip until i saw a lot of people complaining about build quality. That is worth an extra $10 and wait time to me if they are actually improving on that, which is what that comment seemed to imply imo.

skt239

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Was tempted to pull the trigger on the Vaporbeast sale, but I saw Hohm Tech mention yesterday in the comments of Vapingwithtwisted420's review that they were:

"We are addressing battery door topic, as well as updating FSK chip to latest firmware, and we're now installing taller fire buttons to ensure the low profile button better flows with the other buttons. It won't be a v2 however, it'll retain the Slice name, and it'll be here in next week"

Was curious about the chip until i saw a lot of people complaining about build quality. That is worth an extra $10 and wait time to me if they are actually improving on that, which is what that comment seemed to imply imo.

I had one for about a week. The chip works great but like others I found the build quality to be sub-par. I don't understand how these companies let flawed mods out the door like that. Mine had the wonkey battery door and the fucked up firing switch. The over all feeling of the mod was cheap. However, considering what the mod is capable of, I can see how those flaws are easily brushed aside for a lot of people.

Deucesjack

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I understand how some people may feel about the qc and those feelings are definitely legitimate. I went into purchasing this mod with the intent on getting G2 performance in a better looking, more compact, ergonomic package. Since that was my expectation I feel HT fulfilled that. Yes the battery door is a little shaky but mine seemed to settle in after a week or so of use. Yes, my firing button stuck at first but HT was extremely supportive and fixed the issue. I do feel like the paint quality could definitely be better and I do not like the 2 sharp corners on the bottom of the mod. Other than that though this lil guy has quickly become one of my favorite mods. I tend to give companies like HT a little more leeway because they are American and they are doing innovative things. I like companies that blaze their own trail. I also think the Slice is a real good value at the price point they have set. All of those things definitely go into my thought process when I'm thinking about buying a new mod. Now if someone would just do a silicone sleeve I would be one happy camper.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N915A using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Deucesjack

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Hold off for version two would be my best advice unless you get a rocking deal on version one. They changed the mold on the mod. Going to have a different firing button and I believe the battery door is going to be fixed as well.

Foggz

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Iknowiknowiknow.. but am a suck3r for a sale ;p - probably best to wait tho.. like a week no.. hell they have to beat the aug dline anywayz.. jeez you suk at enabling.. lol prob will .. just see the codes and gotta click ;p

Deucesjack

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
If you wait they may fire sale the v1. If they do that I'm picking another 2 up. If you do buy now I would definitely take a red over the black. My red paint seems to be much more durable.

Foggz

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
hmmm good point.. I think you should get at least 2 <-- see that's how you ENABLE ;p

not too familiar with so will be happy to get one for now.. the 'any wire' tech is very intriguing - plus 'merican made is nice for a change. Org price on them wasn't bad either .. so 'win'

Deucesjack

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
hmmm good point.. I think you should get at least 2 <-- see that's how you ENABLE ;p

not too familiar with so will be happy to get one for now.. the 'any wire' tech is very intriguing - plus 'merican made is nice for a change. Org price on them wasn't bad either .. so 'win'
I always do. I don't know why but I pretty much buy 2 of every mod I own. I guess when I really like a mod I like to always have a backup. Lol. OCD at its best.

Foggz

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I always do. I don't know why but I pretty much buy 2 of every mod I own. I guess when I really like a mod I like to always have a backup. Lol. OCD at its best.

I can totally understand, don't always do so but do like to 'back em up', too often when you need to get again, it's no longer available.. plus the hassle of being without in the mean time.

Deucesjack

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Ok just spoke to HT and heres the skinny on the v2 thing. HT is not calling it a v2. They are experimenting with a new mold to try to cure what they call the Zinc flex but they have not come to a final decision on the new mold. They might keep the old mold, they have not decided yet. All fire buttons have been replaced and none of them stick anymore. They have adjusted their machining and they are now working on tighter tolerances. The new firing button will protrude more and will not be concave it will match the other 3 buttons style wise. They are currently working with Jwraps and they will have wraps available for the mod sometime after this Monday.

f831c518227df81a6a815fe28d346899.jpg

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

MercuryVaper

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Ok just spoke to HT and heres the skinny on the v2 thing. HT is not calling it a v2. They are experimenting with a new mold to try to cure what they call the Zinc flex but they have not come to a final decision on the new mold. They might keep the old mold, they have not decided yet. All fire buttons have been replaced and none of them stick anymore. They have adjusted their machining and they are now working on tighter tolerances. The new firing button will protrude more and will not be concave it will match the other 3 buttons style wise. They are currently working with Jwraps and they will have wraps available for the mod sometime after this Monday.

f831c518227df81a6a815fe28d346899.jpg

That's great news about the Jwraps, But WTF, I just emailed Jwraps and they told me not gonna happen. I even mentioned that to HT and they said oh well...Anywho, just picked up a Beastly silver old crappy crickety one:D. Glad I held off on just one. Maybe I'll get a new run later on. One can not have to many Slices.

Deucesjack

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
That's great news about the Jwraps, But WTF, I just emailed Jwraps and they told me not gonna happen. I even mentioned that to HT and they said oh well...Anywho, just picked up a Beastly silver old crappy crickety one:D. Glad I held off on just one. Maybe I'll get a new run later on. One can not have to many Slices.
That's so weird because I literally got that information a few hours ago. Jacob from HT actually sent me the photo I uploaded. Lmfao.

Deucesjack

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
It's official. I AM the Rodney Dangerfield of vaping. I get NO respect.
No disrespect intended. Hope you didn't take it that way. Jacob told me the Jwraps will be up and running on this as early as this coming Monday.

MercuryVaper

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
No disrespect intended. Hope you didn't take it that way. Jacob told me the Jwraps will be up and running on this as early as this coming Monday.

Naw Man, didn't take it that way at all...Just tells me Jwraps and to an extent HT, haven't a clue what goes on within.

mjag

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I got a couple of new firing buttons on the way. Will update with pics once I have the first one installed.

They may have stumbled out of the gate but at least there making good.

I have to admit, instead of 2 china made Slice I would have rather paid double the amount for an American made Slice of better quality. I have not had much problems though but recognize that others do.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

Deucesjack

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I got a couple of new firing buttons on the way. Will update with pics once I have the first one installed.

They may have stumbled out of the gate but at least there making good.

I have to admit, instead of 2 china made Slice I would have rather paid double the amount for an American made Slice of better quality. I have not had much problems though but recognize that others do.

Yep I would have paid another $20 to it have made here.

MercuryVaper

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
The biggest complaint from me would be the squishy feel I get when I fire it, or press any buttons for that matter. The board needs a better mounting. I can feel it flex.

Deucesjack

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
The biggest complaint from me would be the squishy feel I get when I fire it, or press any buttons for that matter. The board needs a better mounting. I can feel it flex.
Pretty sure that's the flex they're trying to fix. Suprisingly I like the concave firing button on the G2 but not the Slice. I would rather have a clickier button on the Slice.

MercuryVaper

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Pretty sure that's the flex they're trying to fix. Suprisingly I like the concave firing button on the G2 but not the Slice. I would rather have a clickier button on the Slice.

I wouldn't mind crackin one of these open to take a look. But...it's got to break first. And warranty stuff.
Has anybody opened one up? Pics? @mjag when you get your buttons maybe post pics of the opened carcass.

mjag

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I wouldn't mind crackin one of these open to take a look. But...it's got to break first. And warranty stuff.
Has anybody opened one up? Pics? @mjag when you get your buttons maybe post pics of the opened carcass.
Dayum, i hope i remember, usually when i get vape mail i am too excited like a kid at Christmas to remember to take pics

Deucesjack

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Hey Mjag, how is that new button? What's holding the physical board in place, anything?

mjag

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The new button works great. I still have the old button on my LE, it has never given me problems but they sent me 2 buttons if i ever want to change it out in the future.

The board has a standoff on it and it is held in place by the panel i removed. I got a little bit of rattle if i treat it like a maraca but in normal use it is held in place pretty well.

Deucesjack

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Kool bro, thx. Yeah I never understood all those youtube reviewers shaking the shit out of the mods and then complaining about button rattle. They all do it. Lmfao.

MercuryVaper

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Thanks for the pics @mjag ...I just fixed mine after seeing the pics. I just stacked umm black electrical tape to the back side of the button. Put it back together and the button sits nice, and the squishy feel is not nearly as bad. I'm happy.

Foggz

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Kool bro, thx. Yeah I never understood all those youtube reviewers shaking the shit out of the mods and then complaining about button rattle. They all do it. Lmfao.

Thanks for the pics @mjag ...I just fixed mine after seeing the pics. I just stacked umm black electrical tape to the back side of the button. Put it back together and the button sits nice, and the squishy feel is not nearly as bad. I'm happy.

nice - yeah was reminded of seeing a tear down where there was just a small piece of thin foam under the button.. was thinking to myself 'have to remember that' didn't even think of electrical tape - won't pick up moisture either.

MercuryVaper

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
nice - yeah was reminded of seeing a tear down where there was just a small piece of thin foam under the button.. was thinking to myself 'have to remember that' didn't even think of electrical tape - won't pick up moisture either.
Yeah, I'm the Macgyver of vaping. I have tape on the door also to keep it from clicking. I'd say a bit of tape here and there, this is becoming quite a nice mod lol.

Foggz

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yeah, I'm the Macgyver of vaping. I have tape on the door also to keep it from clicking. I'd say a bit of tape here and there, this is becoming quite a nice mod lol.

nice! one thought for the door tho - throw a drop of silicone there ..
i find the tape ( any tape - duct / electrical / those are the only two that matter ;p ) has one downfall.. as it wears you get that damn 'stickyness' to it.

Damn.. whatever happened to MacGyver ? loved that concept ..

edit: gorilla tape .. gorilla tape matters too ;p

Last edited:

Wingsfan0310

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
nice! one thought for the door tho - throw a drop of silicone there ..
i find the tape ( any tape - duct / electrical / those are the only two that matter ;p ) has one downfall.. as it wears you get that damn 'stickyness' to it. haha

Damn.. whatever happened to MacGyver ? loved that concept ..

edit: gorilla tape .. gorilla tape matters too ;p
Heck Duct Tape is what's keeping my old Focus on the road :giggle::giggle::giggle:

Cheers,
Steve

skt239

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I ordered a pair of hohm slice 26650 batteries on Friday to use in my stout. I'm hoping they work better than the two purple efest I'm currently running. According to mooch they are over spec'd but he still gave them a thumbs up.

mjag

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
That reminded me, a local vape shop has a guy that can wrap any mod in real carbon fiber for $25. I am planning on passing by there in the next week or so and find out of the Hohm Slice is a possibility.

Mazam

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Got my hands on one to use for the day, since my friend who buys everything has already started obsessing over a new toy or 3.

I wasn't impressed with the build quality at all. The device just felt......cheap in the hand. This one didn't have a button issue, but a few hours in the play on the door really started to irk me. Maybe i subconsciously played with it more then i should because i knew it was there, but yeah. Enough that i still turned down an PIF offer to buy it for half of what he paid.

Curious to see the actual accuracy/performance #'s when somebody like Daniel gives this the thorough review as well. The kanthal TC is step up from the Asolo's attempt at doing it, but still not venturing into the "i'll actually use it" territory. I'm by no means an established TC options expert either but side by side with a DNA 75/200, and on the same exact SS coil, the difference in overall vape quality seemed rather noticeable in my very untrained opinion. Regardless how much tinkering around we did with the settings.

Last edited:

mjag

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Daniel would need to spend a few weeks with a FSK device and realistically come on this thread to see how to actually use it, it doesn't work like anything else on the market. Using a DNA200 as a benchmark for a FSK device would be like using a Bugatti as a benchmark for a Hummer, there both vehicles but work a lot differently.

I love both my DNA200 and FSK devices, there different in there operation but both very satisfying and better than anything else on the market for me.

Deucesjack

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Wow new Stainless option or is that the grey one? Either way, great price.

VU Sponsors