Become a Patron!

My new Griffin RTA (vs Crius)

84Harley

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I'm still waiting for a mod from EFun I ordered 3 months ago, 2 came within a month but they said this 3rd one I received, uhhmm, no I didn't! Guess I can count that as a loss, $35 for a Evic Mini :-( China has awesome prices at times but at times it's a gamble, thankfully that's the only time I've been ripped off, I suppose it balances out

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
I almost always order from Ebay US Sellers...it may cost more but I get them in 3 days and returns and refunds are much easier to get done..

84Harley

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
yeah me too, but sometimes the China prices are too good to pass up, don't mind the wait and FT are dependable, slow but dependable. VapeNW are fast as hell and often the cheapest, awesome vendor!!!

JERUS

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I haven't had issues but I hear paypal is the way to go and good about getting your money back when they screw you.

84Harley

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Yup, I always use Paypal if I can, got me 80 bucks back from Gearbest....said they shipped my stuff but never got it!!

Hello everybody, I'm new here been lurking this thread a few days decided to make an account swing by say hey and join the convo.

Anyways, I have a black RX200 I'm running my black griffin on with dual fused claptons (26x2/34 kanthal) rocking at .23 ohms at 70 watts and this thing kicks ass!
Coming from a sigelei fuchai and tfv4 my new setup blows the old one out of the water!

So what has been yalls favorite build on the Griffin so far?

Cheers and vape on

JERUS

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Just like Raymo, I have some of @CrazyChef 's coils in mine, just regular aliens, but man it's nice, certainly a step up from the fused claptons I had in there. I'll have to learn to make them at some point.

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Man those are sexy.
I just got into " fancy" coils and just got the hang of fused claptons but aliens are next on my list, just waiting on my order of kanthal to come in and try these bad boys out! Do you have any tips for building them for a newbie?
Youtube and Swivels my friend, youtube is the biggest help...

Got my order of wire in and made some fused claptons (26x2/36 kanthal)

http://i.imgur.com/OiVzb0Z
8 wraps around 3mm jig fits with room to spare

http://i.imgur.com/pwSnbhF
This is how I wick and I've never had a dry hit and it wicks perfectly

http://i.imgur.com/4f7bmMu
Probably could of got another wrap or two in there

http://i.imgur.com/LGrCSWA
Quick shot of my setup after I filled it up. Came out to .28 ohms I'm vaping it on my RX200 between 70-80 watts and the flavor is insane, pretty great vapor production as well!

To anybody on the fence about getting a Griffin, I highly recommend pulling the trigger.
It's the performance of a RDA with the convenience of a tank. Can't go wrong!

Last edited:

formernuke

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Ok for some reason I'm having leaking problems again, when tilted or sometimes just sitting there. I love the flavor and quality of this tank but can't figure out what I'm doing wrong that it leaks so much.

I know it me because I had an issue with my crown for a little while until someone showed me a quirk. So what are the quirks that I might be missing.

smacksy

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Ok for some reason I'm having leaking problems again, when tilted or sometimes just sitting there. I love the flavor and quality of this tank but can't figure out what I'm doing wrong that it leaks so much.

I know it me because I had an issue with my crown for a little while until someone showed me a quirk. So what are the quirks that I might be missing.
Can you post a pic of your build?

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor

Make sure that your wick is covering the entire juice port areas, I like to tuck all the cotton into them but make sure its not packed in. A good way to do it is use a flat head driver and tuck it all in and even if its tight thats fine for now. Then when your all done lightly pull up on the wicks and it will loosen them. This will make it so it absobs fast and very well and it wont let it leak since it will be a sealed area.

Like this:
Tightly tucked in
Wicking tut 2.jpg Wicking tut 3.jpg

Pulled up lightly and fluff, then juiced.
Alien Wicked .jpgWicking tut 6.jpg

CrazyChef

Custom Hand Crafted Coils - PureCoils.com
VU Vendor
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
You can't really see it in raymo2u's post, but I place the ends of my wicks just to the bottom of the ring that goes around the top of the juice channels. No leaky, me happy.

smacksy

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
You can't really see it in raymo2u's post, but I place the ends of my wicks just to the bottom of the ring that goes around the top of the juice channels. No leaky, me happy.
Can you post a pic maybe? I'm still learning new tricks to wicking, thx!

Sent from my QTAQZ3 using Tapatalk

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
I like to leave about a millimeter of space from the end of the cotton tips to above the ledge in the port....but most people dont vape as hot or as often as I do...
As long as your not walling off the juice port then you wont dryhit...make sure all your areas of the port are covered....If you use juice thats thinner then 80/20 then close the juice control when filling...

Like this Chef?
Wicking tut 5.jpg

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
O Here we go...Ill buy it just because...Griffin...
http://vapingunderground.com/thread...ting-airflow-both-from-top-and-bottom.201018/

e9eeec69f54624cbd153e0b43c1a9a5c.jpg

Can the Gemini switch if you decide you dont like the top Airflow? The best part is the Chamber area stays the same size...so the added airflow actually will be ADDED AIRFLOW...not airflow to compensate for loss of room due to added material.

Last edited:

CrazyChef

VU Vendor
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Can you post a pic maybe?
How about a BUNCH of pics? :D
The first 4 are of each of the 4 channels, and the other 3 show the wick from different angles (kinda).

2016-02-22 23.16.26.jpg 2016-02-22 23.16.10.jpg 2016-02-22 23.16.36.jpg 2016-02-22 23.16.53.jpg

2016-02-22 23.18.26.jpg 2016-02-22 23.18.48.jpg 2016-02-22 23.19.07.jpg

JERUS

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I think I use even less than Raymo and have no problems :D I've choked it a bit but I haven't really had leaking problems, I filled it the first time without closing the juice flow and it was an issue, but as long as I close the juice flow on the first fill of a new wick I'm good. After that it doesn't matter.

CrazyChef

VU Vendor
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I added a hint of FA Lemon Sicily and a hint of FA Coconut to give it a little character.

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
I added a hint of FA Lemon Sicily and a hint of FA Coconut to give it a little character.
Did you ever try the Pebbles Donut Recipe I posted a while ago?

If you got the flavors try it!
Iced Donut Sprinkled with Fruity Pebbles:
3.5% Frosted Donut (TPA)
1.5% Bavarian Cream (TPA)
3.5% Vanilla Swirl (TPA)
2% Vienna Cream (FA)
3% Cheesecake Graham Crust (TPA)
3.5% Strawberry Ripe (TPA)
3.5% Sweet Strawberry (CAP)

CrazyChef

VU Vendor
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Too sweet for my tastebuds.

blakemorder

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Day two with the Griffin, I'm still getting dry hits if I chain vape but that's any tank I've tried, it must be the way I Vape. it hasn't leaked a drop and I've been torture testing it since I got it, no spit back either and this is my first rta, its so Easy. I love this thing.

Sent from my XT1095 using Tapatalk

JERUS

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Try even less wick next time you're ready to rewick. Takes me liek 4 hits in rapid succession on alien coils to get a dry hit. I get lightheaded before I get a dry hit basically :D Barely enough wick to tuck inside the cuff. To where you sit there rotating the thing tucking and tucking and as you turn it keeps falling out till you prime it some and tuck it in carefully. That's how I do it. if it's primed right and I keep the juice flow closed on the first fill it's fine from there.

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Day two with the Griffin, I'm still getting dry hits if I chain vape but that's any tank I've tried, it must be the way I Vape. it hasn't leaked a drop and I've been torture testing it since I got it, no spit back either and this is my first rta, its so Easy. I love this thing.

I rewicked for you...its not the best pics as I was rushed...Coils look familiar Chef?:p

20160223_221540.jpg
20160223_221924.jpg20160223_221810.jpg
20160223_222014.jpg20160223_222051.jpg

I like going over it grooming the cotton wick a flathead to ensure a straight path of flow...If you bunch it to tight or to far down then grab the bend by the coil and lift it very lightly. You want barely any wick under the ring and want the cotton loose everywhere.

Last edited:

blakemorder

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I rewicked for you...its not the best pics as I was rushed...Coils look familiar Chef?:p

View attachment 41915
View attachment 41916 View attachment 41914
View attachment 41912 View attachment 41913

I like going over it grooming the cotton wick a flathead to ensure a straight path of flow...If you bunch it to tight or to far down then grab the bend by the coil and lift it very lightly. You want barely any wick under the ring and want the cotton loose everywhere.
my wicks look exactly like that, maybe my tail is a little too fat and getting a little stuffed in the ring. It doesn't bother me too much, taking 5-6 back to back hits at 70w with 90 vg is alot to ask lol.
Thanks for all the trouble, I'll be fiddling with it for a week or two yet I'm sure. I'm just happy it doesn't leak right now.

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
my wicks look exactly like that, maybe my tail is a little too fat and getting a little stuffed in the ring. It doesn't bother me too much, taking 5-6 back to back hits at 70w with 90 vg is alot to ask lol.
Thanks for all the trouble, I'll be fiddling with it for a week or two yet I'm sure. I'm just happy it doesn't leak right now.

Try cutting the very end of your wicks into a wide "V" and only the very tip should be under the ring and the rest barely in the ring.You may be using too much cotton through your coils also...there are tons of variables...but once you got it down you wont dryhit...no mater what...

I actually throw a SS Square Wire build into the VCMT and its been great with TC...Cuboid TC sucks compared to the Ohm Wreckers....The Hohm Wreckers TC is like how I would normally vape and then it starts cutting down and then shutting completely down as it gets dry...Its warm to hot the whole time until the Cotton is bone dry then it cuts it...no burn hits or taste and there isnt any singing on the cotton...
I wish everyone lived by me so I could get you guys to atleast try it once..

blakemorder

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'll try cutting a v next time and tucking it that way. I do have it much looser through the coil than I would an rda already.

JERUS

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I do it a little different than raymo. I cut at an angle, so coming from the top it's longer than on the inside, less distance to travel on the inside more on the outside/top. Then I tuck it in, if It's staying in place easily I'll either trim it or if it's just barely too much I'll tuck then pull it out a little (we're talking a fraction of a mm "too long"). Just giving another option if you can't get raymo's style to work.

smacksy

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I just did a re-wick style similar to yours Jerus using Japanese cotton..I left the ends a little longer this time and fluffed it up before tucking it in behind the ring...It's a little thicker going thru the coil too, not tight but not real loose either.. I'm enjoying a thick, flavorful vape, and no dry hits or leaks...this is only my third time wicking it but I think I'm getting the hang of it, lol

JERUS

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Nice, yeah I use the same thickness on most everything I use. I use Koh Gen Do (just so easy to work with those pads) but it's a nice firm but not tweaking/streching pull through the coil so it's well packed but then it's just barely enough to tuck into that ring. I can't make it dry hit because I get dizzy and out of breath before it trying to chain vape as fast as I can just to attempt a dry hit :D.

The only time I don't use that much cotton is on my Avocado I do it thinner so I can easily pull the wick out for refilling and tuck it back in.

God I'm so conflicted lately, I take a few seconds considering which vape to grab, the Haze with its' pure flavor, the Griffin with its' robust vapor production and ease of use, or the Avocado with a nice in between. They're all so great!

Ravendark

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Hi, new here just discovered the forum, great stuff!
I too am a fan of the Griffin, I read the whole post, I actually found 2 or 3 posts mentioning disassembly of the base but I guess nobody has tried it.

Does anybody know how to break the base apart? Mine probably needs an oring replacement, as there is a tiny leak between the airflow ring and that wavy shaped part above it

cheers

smacksy

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Far as I know the base is a press fit...really no way to take it apart...

Ravendark

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
hmmm... this means I might have to get a new one... or the Gemini RTA if it's as good as the griffin

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Hi, new here just discovered the forum, great stuff!
I too am a fan of the Griffin, I read the whole post, I actually found 2 or 3 posts mentioning disassembly of the base but I guess nobody has tried it.

Does anybody know how to break the base apart? Mine probably needs an oring replacement, as there is a tiny leak between the airflow ring and that wavy shaped part above it

cheers
I may try it myself as I noticed my black base is loose and the piece that is supposed to secure the chamber cap can spin freely with the airflow, this isnt supposed to happen. I will try and fix it myself and make a tut if I can actually get it apart. This makes my Griffin leak a drop or 2 every few hours, its not bad but its annoying for thew same reasoning as the Crius's weeping issue...Will report back when I start on it.

Ravendark

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I may try it myself as I noticed my black base is loose and the piece that is supposed to secure the chamber cap can spin freely with the airflow, this isnt supposed to happen. I will try and fix it myself and make a tut if I can actually get it apart. This makes my Griffin leak a drop or 2 every few hours, its not bad but its annoying for thew same reasoning as the Crius's weeping issue...Will report back when I start on it.

well there is a temporary remedy for that weeping, at least in my case, if you tighten the base to the mod a little bit, it also tightens the juice control (the glass spins with greater resistance) and the weeping almost stops... but if you do that, the air control ring does not spin and if you try to remove the tank from the mod, you have to use some thing like a thin screwdriver, pass it through the 2 airholes and use that to unscrew it because if you just use your fingers, the air control ring goes over that locking point and continues to spin until it meets the other locking point and so on...

I don't know if you make any sense from my writing as english is not my primary language and sorry about that.

cheers

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
well there is a temporary remedy for that weeping, at least in my case, if you tighten the base to the mod a little bit, it also tightens the juice control (the glass spins with greater resistance) and the weeping almost stops... but if you do that, the air control ring does not spin and if you try to remove the tank from the mod, you have to use some thing like a thin screwdriver, pass it through the 2 airholes and use that to unscrew it because if you just use your fingers, the air control ring goes over that locking point and continues to spin until it meets the other locking point and so on...

I don't know if you make any sense from my writing as english is not my primary language and sorry about that.

cheers
For it not being your first language I applaud you, you type better then people who only speak in English...l could write out a pretty long list of the people that only speak English and you seem to surpass their skills in typing it out, you should feel proud.

blakemorder

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Wicked again, same deal with dry hits only this time I took pics. Remember I am using juice that's about as thick as syrup though.
039ae8980decfb80b09fc4e2fd063ef1.jpg

a66c2dae65fe30c508c299931eb43ef4.jpg

My wick retention ring is stuck so I can't mess with that but I did tuck the edge of the cotton down in a touch.

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Wicked again, same deal with dry hits only this time I took pics. Remember I am using juice that's about as thick as syrup though.
039ae8980decfb80b09fc4e2fd063ef1.jpg

a66c2dae65fe30c508c299931eb43ef4.jpg

My wick retention ring is stuck so I can't mess with that but I did tuck the edge of the cotton down in a touch.

Is that staging wire I see??

VU Sponsors