Become a Patron!

My new Griffin RTA (vs Crius)

smacksy

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I already bought one.
Hi Ray
When do you recommend changing the cotton in the Griffin?
3d6e0515d424cb46099b67c6c71c7940.jpg
This build is 5 days old and still hitting good..but I did notice it was leaking a bit from the air control vents an hour ago or so...Plz advise, thx

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Hi Ray
This build is 5 days old and still hitting good..but I did notice it was leaking a bit from the air control vents an hour ago or so...Plz advise, thx

When your coils are GUNK'D and Cotton is Dark Brown...well thats how mine get after a day or 2...If everything still looks clean then you dont really need to change it out, if your leaking take the tank off and see how its getting past the Cotton in the ports, pull the strands over it and you should be good to go!
They get much worse then this before I change them out:
Griffin Build Old.jpg

smacksy

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
When your coils are GUNK'D and Cotton is Dark Brown...well thats how mine get after a day or 2...If everything still looks clean then you dont really need to change it out, if your leaking take the tank off and see how its getting past the Cotton in the ports, pull the strands over it and you should be good to go!
They get much worse then this before I change them out:
View attachment 40268
Thanks! I don't like sweet juice and don't vape dark juice either, they always gunked up my drippers.... Johnny Milkman is clear as well as Tocaun Killer I have in the stainless Griffin..just installed new cotton and waiting to take that first hit...really liking these RTA's !

Ive heard that the stock allan/hex thingy is crap. If i were to buy a new one, what size should it be? 1.27mm or 1.5mm?

Sent from my D6653 using Tapatalk

smacksy

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Ive heard that the stock allan/hex thingy is crap. If i were to buy a new one, what size should it be? 1.27mm or 1.5mm?

I think that "thingy" is .05 mm..not sure..it's tiny, and the stock Allen has been working just fine in my two Griffin RTA's..

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
The "Perfect Allen Key" is a 1.27mm
You can buy them on Ebay or Tool online stores...I would also recommend anyone with the Crius, Aromamizer, Griffin, Diablo, and most other RTA's buy a pack of 304 SS M2 Grub Screws. They arent as cheap as the ones on Fast Tech but they are atleast 10 times the strength and I have yet to strip one out. Here is the link of where I bought mine: LINK

JERUS

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Hi Ray

I think there's a time concern as well as use. Leaving the cotton soaking eventually it'll leak, or so my experience on other tanks has been. I'd either say clear the tank every night, or just replace every 2-4 days

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Mine has never leaked, unless I overfill and it pushes it out the AFC holes. I let mine sit overnight with JC open and AFC open and I wake up throughout the night and usually take a few pulls and go back to sleep...Ive never had a tank full sit more then a few hours in it either...

Last edited:

JERUS

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Mine has never leaked, unless I overfill and it pushes it out the AFC holes. I let mine sit overnight with JC open and AFC open and I wake up throughout the night and usually take a few pulls and go back to sleep...Ive never had a tank full sit more then a few hours in it either...
Yeah I may have just been lucky with bad wicking where it works for a couple days then starts to go bad, just threw it out there as something I've experienced.

The "Perfect Allen Key" is a 1.27mm
You can buy them on Ebay or Tool online stores...I would also recommend anyone with the Crius, Aromamizer, Griffin, Diablo, and most other RTA's buy a pack of 304 SS M2 Grub Screws. They arent as cheap as the ones on Fast Tech but they are atleast 10 times the strength and I have yet to strip one out. Here is the link of where I bought mine: LINK
The length, it should be 4 in the options?

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
The length, it should be 4 in the options?

Thats what I used, 3-mm should be plenty long enough, with most RTA's with 5mm+ set screws will stick out after tightening on the wire and touch the cap. So get 3-4mm to be safe.

WARCHOP37

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Rebuilt my Griffin 3mm dual nichrome/kanthal Claptons ohming at .4. So far I haven't noticed any leaks, possibly a little weeping, but so far so good. Will see how it vapes tomorrow.

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

ej1024

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I highly suggest to use a syringe when refilling top refill TANKS.

Vape On

Thats what I used, 3-mm should be plenty long enough, with most RTA's with 5mm+ set screws will stick out after tightening on the wire and touch the cap. So get 3-4mm to be safe.
Ohh by the way, will this screw also fit in the tobeco velocity mini rda if you tried it before?

Ill get the 1.27mm hex driver and the ebay link for the screws. Now my griffin will have spares, thanks alot!

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Ohh by the way, will this screw also fit in the tobeco velocity mini rda if you tried it before?

Ill get the 1.27mm hex driver and the ebay link for the screws. Now my griffin will have spares, thanks alot!

Yes it will fit most Velocity RDA's (clones and Authentic).
The Screws that it the Twisted Messes and other RDA's with the fatter Grub Screws are M3. Just incase anyone needed to know

Grego

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Reddit Exile
Fast tech has replacement glass for the Griffith in numerous colors FYI

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
For everyone viewing this thread I am still waiting for one more RTA to arrive (Diablo) and then I will have every RTA with Velocity Style Posts to compare, I did not include Gennys like the Avocado or Ivogo, these are not the same thing. I will post a new thread and will include the links here when I finished the thread.

WARCHOP37

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I don't know that youll like the diablo due to the small build deck. Beside that though it's outshined all of my other RTAs in terms of flavor and consistency.

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
I don't know that youll like the diablo due to the small build deck. Beside that though it's outshined all of my other RTAs in terms of flavor and consistency.
Yea its just for the comparison, same with the Griffin clone I ordered....I may not like them but others might think to try them so I gotta get them just in case...I think I got the larger one with bigger deck and the bigger other features...it may not be as bad.

Trying Clapception coils. Fit and look amazing in the griffin. Incredible flavour!

Attachments

• _20160206_145920.JPG
    _20160206_145920.JPG
    319.8 KB · Views: 47
  • _20160206_150017.JPG
    _20160206_150017.JPG
    301.3 KB · Views: 50

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Griffin vs VCMT 25mm...Which do you think has a Bigger Deck ad Build Room?
20160206_110847.jpg 20160206_110953.jpg 20160206_110921.jpg
VCMT 25mm Chamber fits in the Griffins, like the MT Tanks (Not a perfect pic for now)...
20160206_112054.jpg

Last edited:

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Exactly why I wish I could post pics on youtube comments....so when people claim things I can shut their dreams down.

Remember people....This is a 22mm RTA...The Bellus, Aromamizer, Crius, Chuthulu V2, Goblin Mini, and many other RTA's are also 22mm RTA's and are the competitors to the Griffin. Think of how their deck sizes are and thats what we've had for most of the last year. RDA's were the Go-To building decks as they were spacious and some can hold thicker wires with ease.
This RTA is the same size as those RDA's and still can fit bigger builds and thick wires, and it holds and wicks juice with ease. The closest thing that does compete is a RTA thats "Box Mod Size Status" and still doesnt have as much build room!
The Griffins design is one of the best things I have ever seen, the craftsmanship and fitment of everything is a perfect storm and I dont think it could have the same or better specs if done any differently. GeekVape did their homework and everyone else's.

So far almost every RTA doesnt even have the ease of use or other features implemented well, this RTA has everything, even the bag of chips, onion dip, and the beer.

Last edited:

africamonk

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Exactly why I wish I could post pics on youtube comments....so when people claim things I can shut their dreams down.

Remember people....This is a 22mm RTA...The Bellus, Aromamizer, Crius, Chuthulu V2, Goblin Mini, and many other RTA's are also 22mm RTA's and are the competitors to the Griffin. Think of how their deck sizes are and thats what we've had for most of the last year. RDA's were the Go-To building decks as they were spacious and some can hold thicker wires with ease.
This RTA is the same size as those RDA's and still can fit bigger builds and thick wires, and it holds and wicks juice with ease. The closest thing that does compete is a RTA thats "Box Mod Size Status" and still doesnt have as much build room!
The Griffins design is one of the best things I have ever seen, the craftsmanship and fitment of everything is a perfect storm and I dont think it could have the same or better specs if done any differently. GeekVape did their homework and everyone else's.

So far almost every RTA doesnt even have the ease of use or other features implemented well, this RTA has everything, even the bag of chips, onion dip, and the beer.
@raymo2u
Griffin spokesman. :p:D

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
VCMT Fused Clapton and Griffin Alien Build (Roughly the same sizes)....
The Griffin seems to have more room everywhere and the VCMT hold it but only just. It does perform well though. The VCMT is a great tank overall and if you would rather dish out $70 for a RTA with slightly lower specs then one that costs half that with better specs then go for it.
20160206_115837.jpg 20160206_115926.jpg
20160206_120039.jpg

Cuboid is still Garbage on my list....Fucking 75w??? Really?

Wicked up and ready to rock, yes I am amazing working with wicking I know :D
20160206_122545.jpg

Last edited:

VaporCarp

#BlackRiflesMatter
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Looks like the VCMT can handle a wider build. Seems like the threaded area on the base is wider?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VaporCarp

#BlackRiflesMatter
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Have you tried the BMF?

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Meant BFT lol. The tank. Just noticed it was 30 mm. Too big for me

Yea if I had something to use 30mm I would of just got the Alpha Ohmega and 30mm VCMT.

There is one thing that the VCMT does better then the Griffin, the Griffin seems to be more leaky when used like this but the VCMT does it like a Champ. Using it like a Kennedy RDA...
20160206_130234.jpg 20160206_130257.jpg

smacksy

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yea if I had something to use 30mm I would of just got the Alpha Ohmega and 30mm VCMT.

There is one thing that the VCMT does better then the Griffin, the Griffin seem to be more leaky when used like this but the VCMT does it like a Champ. Using it like a Kennedy RDA...
View attachment 40527 View attachment 40526
Is that chimney glass or plastic??
I had a clear poly chimney that shattered into pieces on a R91 once..

VaporCarp

#BlackRiflesMatter
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years

There is one thing that the VCMT does better then the Griffin, the Griffin seems to be more leaky when used like this but the VCMT does it like a Champ. Using it like a Kennedy RDA...
View attachment 40527 View attachment 40526
Never thought about that

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Is that chimney glass or plastic??
I had a clear poly chimney that shattered into pieces on a R91 once..

Its SS like the Griffins

Never thought about that

Its something that Vaper Cloudz mentioned in the Features but I dont see many people trying it...it still hold 2.5ml's when used like this and its more of a RDA experience....and you can see your builds in action!

Trying Clapception coils. Fit and look amazing in the griffin. Incredible flavour!
Holy, thats fits?!

I tried a 6 wrap spaced ss 24/28g clapton id 3mm. I can feel the coil scraping the chamber when putting it on. Maybe contact coils? Would tc work as well on contact coils?

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Holy, thats fits?!

I tried a 6 wrap spaced ss 24/28g clapton id 3mm. I can feel the coil scraping the chamber when putting it on. Maybe contact coils? Would tc work as well on contact coils?

They should do well, there are many threads of people using SS Claptons and more with tC and power and they said its working well.

Those coils fit and Im sure there is still atleast 4mm all the way around the coils...:D

JERUS

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
For everyone viewing this thread I am still waiting for one more RTA to arrive (Diablo) and then I will have every RTA with Velocity Style Posts to compare, I did not include Gennys like the Avocado or Ivogo, these are not the same thing. I will post a new thread and will include the links here when I finished the thread.
Having the Avocado, I'm a little disappointed, I should have known better, but my Haze simply lulled me into a false sense of optimism. My Haze I built as big as I could and never a single issue with wicking/dry hits. Avocado I can't say the same thing, I can build much bigger and I basically have to keep it upside down to keep up with the power. Fused 26g Claptons works, more intense than that and it becomes an issue (staged/24g fused claptons/big twisted/chain builds), dual 26g fused claptons I did get to work though. So basically while you have more potential with the avocado you don't have the same carefree building that the haze allows, at least from what I've found so far.

Just a heads up to anyone interested. Griffin on the way for me :)

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Having the Avocado, I'm a little disappointed, I should have known better, but my Haze simply lulled me into a false sense of optimism. My Haze I built as big as I could and never a single issue with wicking/dry hits. Avocado I can't say the same thing, I can build much bigger and I basically have to keep it upside down to keep up with the power. Fused 26g Claptons works, more intense than that and it becomes an issue (staged/24g fused claptons/big twisted/chain builds), dual 26g fused claptons I did get to work though. So basically while you have more potential with the avocado you don't have the same carefree building that the haze allows, at least from what I've found so far.

Just a heads up to anyone interested. Griffin on the way for me :)
Ill take your Avacado:D

Jolly

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Been lurking in this thread a couple days. I just ordered a Black Griffin last week, mainly because I ordered a Vaporflask Classic and the Griffin is 22mm and will look better on the Vaporflask than my 23mm Aromamizer. I have to say after reading this thread I'm really glad I ordered it. Now just to wait for it and the Vaporflask to get here.

VU Sponsors