Become a Patron!

Next Generation MTL tanks Part 2

BrewBear

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I would have never pegged you as a carpenter/cabinet maker.
LOL. No. I'm not a cabinet maker, just a hobby gone wild. My formal education is in biochemistry and biology. My wife and I bought a new house and I decided to remodel the kitchen! Two years later, I'm almost done but I had to learn cabinetry and some carpentry . Needless to say, once I started, things evolved. The closets were re-done to look like built-in 40's farmhouse 3 door armoire dressers......

ToolmanTexas

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
LOL. No. I'm not a cabinet maker, just a hobby gone wild. My formal education is in biochemistry and biology. My wife and I bought a new house and I decided to remodel the kitchen! Two years later, I'm almost done but I had to learn cabinetry and some carpentry . Needless to say, once I started, things evolved. The closets were re-done to look like built-in 40's farmhouse 3 door armoire dressers......
Pics or never happened

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Oh nice! I agree with Toolman. Pics!

ToolmanTexas

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Thank you for the vote of confidence. I would love to post pics now but the giftees are around.... To top it off, I just got a Pit Barrel Cooker and I've been smoking all kind of meats. My wife's diet got blown out of the water!
Just got a new smoker to replace my other that finally bit the dust... Gonna break it in tonight w chicken. Pulled pork on family Christmas day. Pics to come :)

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Night shift is brutal eh
I've been doing it almost a year now
I work 2nd shift, and that's tough, sometimes, but overnight shift is OUCH. As is, I feel like I'll sleep the day away, so try to get up at a reasonable hour, but then, when I get home from work, I want to feel like I've been home for a minute, so end up staying up too late. Tough world we live in, LOL!

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Pulled pork
rizkikhaizir101.gif

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
View attachment 69678 OK, this is one of the modified closets. This one is done in birch and has aromatic cedar paneling.
Those are beautiful! My dad had a cedar home, it smelled wonderful, especially this time of year. You could sand just a tiny bit and refresh that scent. Just so nice! He had a few small scraps that he held onto, I got a bag of them to keep in closets, lol.

Nailz

FUCK the FDA
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I work 2nd shift, and that's tough, sometimes, but overnight shift is OUCH. As is, I feel like I'll sleep the day away, so try to get up at a reasonable hour, but then, when I get home from work, I want to feel like I've been home for a minute, so end up staying up too late. Tough world we live in, LOL!

Personally I think 2nd shift is the worse shift, I did it for 5 years and missed my kids growing up and hardly saw my wife, they ate dinner every night without me, only saw me at weekends, then switched to 3rd shift for 2 years, but thought I would love 1st shift best, so when got the chance to move to 1st, I jumped on it, but damn them early mornings really suck and bosses always watching over your shoulder, so I was very wrong about liking 1st the best.

I just switched back to 3rd shift a month ago by my own choice, no early mornings, I get to sleep all day while the kids at school, but then up in the evenings with them, yes the sleeping can suck, but you do get use to it, oh and also I get a extra dollar a hour for working 3rd :)

CDroverNL

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I know. It's tough. I get off at 430 am. I get home around 530. Then I want to go to bed but cant. Same thing, I end up sleeping late. I've got it pretty good tho cause I work for 14 straight and get 7 off. The 14 I'm working I hardly see my wife and kids though.

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
I know. It's tough. I get off at 430 am. I get home around 530. Then I want to go to bed but cant. Same thing, I end up sleeping late. I've got it pretty good tho cause I work for 14 straight and get 7 off. The 14 I'm working I hardly see my wife and kids though.
Oh man, that's a real battle, I bet. 14 straight is TOUGH to do, but those 7 must be wonderful.... after you've spent at least one full day of those recuperating. As I get older, it takes a lot out of me to work my little 5 days with OT, LOL.

CDroverNL

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Oh man, that's a real battle, I bet. 14 straight is TOUGH to do, but those 7 must be wonderful.... after you've spent at least one full day of those recuperating. As I get older, it takes a lot out of me to work my little 5 days with OT, LOL.
I do 14 10 hour shifts, sometimes 12 hours. Those 7 are amazing. I wouldn't be able to go back to a regular Monday to Friday now

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
I do 14 10 hour shifts, sometimes 12 hours. Those 7 are amazing. I wouldn't be able to go back to a regular Monday to Friday now
Probably better off, really. Those 2 days, just fly by, with having to catch up on running errands, home type things, social stuff, and resting. Goes by far too fast.

BrewBear

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Thank you @snake94115 , that is very nice of you. I love tinkering and learning so my hobbies keep my synapses firing. They do misfire on occasion, but that's what makes it fun.

BrewBear

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
You are very talented, I need a new kitchen myself, not I would try to do it myself though.
One of the reasons I decided to do it myself is I didn't really know how much work it would be. The $60+ k price tag, and when I asked if he would use maple, the price went up another 15k. was what pushed me over the edge. Our new kitchen cabinets are made with maple and birch and curly maple for the drawer faces at a cost of roughly 6k, including the stitches/broken finger/2 month disability I had from getting my finger caught in the table router blade. I learned a lot, love doing it and accumulated a bunch of great tools in the process.

BrewBear

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I went to the site on and off just reading about smokers and stuff. Now that I have the PBC, I need to sign up for the news letter.

VU Sponsors