Become a Patron!

Old Pharts Club

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I really need to find time for some seriously major weeding -- it looks more like a jungle than a garden. (imagine all the sound you get on the soundtrack of George of the Jungle and overlay our garden with it) After mowing it yesterday, I did locate a few of the plants we intended to be in there and they all appear to be making veggies and fruits. Few things are ripe yet, but they're getting there. Lannie posed a question, the answer to which I have not yet figured out (short of lying in the weeds with a pair of tweezers), but the bind weed has attacked the cucumber plants. Being extremely viney themselves, the cukes have, in turn, attacked the bind weed vines, so they are mutually wound around each other, so how do we get them apart?
Hah.....:wave:

Only thing I have is sweet potatoes going nuts, half the garden is sweet potato leaves-vines sort of.....never thought they could take the intense sun. AND, the Quail don't like the leaves.

But, I don't believe they'll do well, my raised bed has rock down about 16 inches. Never know though, haven't planted um in the past. Just had some old sweet potatoes going to rot, so I cut um and planted um, and they are growing like a wildfire, one the surface of the soil...not sure below....:idea:

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I guess... if you can tell the difference between the vines, cut the bindweed at the base, and let it die. A good snips should do the trick.
Only problem with that is the dead bind weed vine will stay on the cuke vine and inhibit its growth. I have cut some at the base with a weed whacker that were growing up a small Elm tree. A month later, the vine is still tightly wrapped around the tree. So in order that the cukes be able to stretch out as far as they normally would and fatten up as they should, the attacker must be completely removed. So far, I can only think that snipping and spending the time to unwind the damn things is the only way to give the cukes full freedom.

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Hah.....:wave:Only thing I have is sweet potatoes going nuts,..... they are growing like a wildfire, one the surface of the soil...not sure below....:idea:
I do not believe I have ever tried growing sweet taters, so I have no experience from which to advise. Just harvest and be happy with whatever you get.

Lady Sarah

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Only problem with that is the dead bind weed vine will stay on the cuke vine and inhibit its growth. I have cut some at the base with a weed whacker that were growing up a small Elm tree. A month later, the vine is still tightly wrapped around the tree. So in order that the cukes be able to stretch out as far as they normally would and fatten up as they should, the attacker must be completely removed. So far, I can only think that snipping and spending the time to unwind the damn things is the only way to give the cukes full freedom.
I had the same problem with kudzu back in NC. All I could do was chop out the weeds as far below the ground as I could, and let it rot. That shit attacked trees, shrubs, and my rose bushes.

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
If my tired old memory is working at all, I seem to recall one of the neighbors telling us a dozen or so years back that the roots to this bind weed go down "as far as 30 feet" so all you can do is rip it out as it breaks the surface and keep doing that until the weather changes and it stops growing (until next spring). ....or was that the Purslane? Dang, I am getting too old for this shit...

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
If my tired old memory is working at all, I seem to recall one of the neighbors telling us a dozen or so years back that the roots to this bind weed go down "as far as 30 feet" so all you can do is rip it out as it breaks the surface and keep doing that until the weather changes and it stops growing (until next spring). ....or was that the Purslane? Dang, I am getting too old for this shit...
Yup...endless battle.....................

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I dunno. Them growers use pretty intense lamps to grow it indoors.
Yeah, but their on Timers, with the proper humidity etc....I inspected a HUGH growhouse in northern Arizona for a weed distribution company, after they made it legal here. They had state of the art equipment, prolly a million bucks invested in climate control, I was really impressed.

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
H'yuk yuk yuk... mah chicken coop light is on a timer, and they gots all the temperature and humidity they needs un they plays in da weeds all day long... an... an... wrong story, huh?

Lannie

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
To clear up Rich's confusion... ;) The bindweed roots go down a few feet, but not 30 feet (that's the alfalfa). Bindweed's modus operandi is to send out runners under the surface, which are impossible to pull up because they're brittle, and they'll snap if you try to pull on them. And every broken end sends up a new top, which you then have to pull again. So basically, the way I heard it is to just keep ripping out the tops and SUPPOSEDLY the runners will eventually die off due to lack of nutrients from the leaves. However, pulling out every single top is not possible, there's just too much. I saw something on a gardening show the other day that said you could kill them by pouring straight white vinegar on the aerial parts, which will in turn kill off the roots and runners. I can't do that in the middle of the garden, but I'm definitely going to try it after the harvest is finished, and again first thing in the spring. Maybe it will help... then again, maybe not. But I'll give it a try.

And the purslane is actually a good weed, although very prolific. The seeds will lie dormant for 40 to 50 years if they don't get wet, but once they do, and it's warm enough, they sprout. They're actually quite good to eat. They have one of the highest omega-3 contents besides fish (which comes in handy for us land-locked people), and they're succulent and have a slight lemony taste, so they're good fresh or lightly sauteed in a stir-fry. A lot of people will pickle them, so they can have them year-round. In the garden, I've learned to just leave them alone in the planting beds, because they provide shade to the soil and help conserve moisture. They stay pretty short when they're not crowded by a bunch of other weeds and stuff, so it's like living mulch. And you can eat it if you want to, AND it's good for you. Win-win!

Lady Sarah

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Phillip saw something I was working on, and said I should change my avatar pic to that.
9d301a04fe469bd935c4b586c73c0e96.jpg

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
@Lannie said Purslane weeds are GOOD?... I need to find this weed, I'm into dandelions, etc etc....I've read and studied there are more nutrients in various weeds than most plants purposely grown for profit.

Not being profitable - the weed industry, kinda like other vegetables big pharma can't patent, are not sold to us deplorables.

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Purslane weeds are GOOD?... I need to find this weed
I remember a discussion about purslane on another forum a few years back. A lot of people wanted to grow it and couldn't... wrong soil type or wrong temps, etc., etc. and here, we couldn't make it go away if we wanted. I believe you can get seeds from ... ummm... Victory Seed if you want to try. And yes, it is good for you and it tastes good too.

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
There's a few weeds around here I'll eat. And there is the ones I spray.
Bout the only thing I know of which thrives in heat - no water are dandelions, lots of um. Kinda bitter, but I eat a miracle berry first, before the bitter greens, which are so nutritious

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I remember a discussion about purslane on another forum a few years back. A lot of people wanted to grow it and couldn't... wrong soil type or wrong temps, etc., etc. and here, we couldn't make it go away if we wanted. I believe you can get seeds from ... ummm... Victory Seed if you want to try. And yes, it is good for you and it tastes good too.
Are they a weed you can control? or do they flourish a little too much?

Lady Sarah

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Bout the only thing I know of which thrives in heat - no water are dandelions, lots of um. Kinda bitter, but I eat a miracle berry first, before the bitter greens, which are so nutritious
There is also Sheppard's Purse. The little heart shaped beans on them are edible. It just takes alot to do anything with.

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Teddy told him it was time to go to bed.
Pretty tired and sore myself. Cut up and moved a bunch of tree debris and went an mowed a friend of the wifes yard. About 1.5 hours of mowing and 2 hours of setup and travel time...
Yep....I'm not far behind you two, the heat did a number on me again today.

Lady Sarah

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I worked the strain out of my gluteous maximus. Did half the remaining bathroom wall, which meant removing the sink. Took almost all day, and it got to 103 outside where I cut the wood.
I wasn't trying to work my ass off, but at least the pain is gone.

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Teddy told him it was time to go to bed.
Not far off on that. Teddy is sleeping right next to me and I am almost falling over.
Are they a weed you can control? or do they flourish a little too much?
I have not been able to control them, but I'm not sure we want to. It's the damn bind weed I want gone and I think Lannie said something about white vinegar after we harvest the veggies.

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Not far off on that. Teddy is sleeping right next to me and I am almost falling over.

I have not been able to control them, but I'm not sure we want to. It's the damn bind weed I want gone and I think Lannie said something about white vinegar after we harvest the veggies.
I believe Lannie is correct, white vin kills weeds.

Lady Sarah

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
The though of puffball flavored juice crossed my mind. But, trying to get just the right amount of mint flavor into it could be a challenge.

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
The lil yellow flowers are not much sweeter than the greens.....:cry:
Remember that there numerous different uses for the 1) dandelion flower, 2) the leaf, and 3) the roots. And they are all good for you (for one purpose or another). This is one of the most prolific "weeds" on this planet, one that Big Pharma and Big Ag both want you to hate and make lots of commercials trying to sell you products to eradicate it. Doesn't that tell you something? I believe Gawd put it here for a purpose, so maybe we should all do a little research and pay attention.

VU Sponsors