Become a Patron!

Old Pharts Club

phil68

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yeah, a thin passing line of instability this morning dumped on us, but it was OK the rest of the day, and MUCH cooler, so I spent my day forking the cow barn (back hurts, shoulder hurts, wrist hurts, ankle hurts -- ah, so what's different about today? Get on with it!) o_O
Sounds like me after work but on Saturday Sarah gives me a back rub. Good news in off on Monday

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Yeah, a thin passing line of instability this morning dumped on us, but it was OK the rest of the day, and MUCH cooler, so I spent my day forking the cow barn (back hurts, shoulder hurts, wrist hurts, ankle hurts -- ah, so what's different about today? Get on with it!) o_O
Have you tried epsom salt in hot water...supposed to help with chronic pain.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Are they shaped like a women, or taste like one?
Ohh they are hot looking humanoid women. Bright red skin and hair with emerald green fingeranils and teeth.
Terrible temper though....

On second thought...
I remember now why I never went back there.

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Power is going on and off. Will bust the phone out, although it's a pain in the ass. Better than buying another laptop tho.

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Well time to hit the sack....have work all weekend.....:zombie:..........:devil:
Silly question coming: No matter where it is made (the UPS), if you don't trust it, why do you use it?
Better than nothing....only logical answer I have tonight. Didn't even remember it's plugged in...you reminded me

Lannie

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Pickled Green Tomatoes, Lannie......oh my are they delis....!!

How do you make those? I absolutely cannot stomach an unripe tomato - too much acid, which means I can only eat store tomatoes sparingly. The only ones I can eat with no discomfort are my own tomatoes that ripen on the vine. I've never even heard of pickled green tomatoes. I'd like to try it, though, because we always have a ton of green ones still out there at first frost, and I end up bringing them in and letting them redden in a paper bag, then giving them to the chickens. I'd like to actually EAT all the tomatoes we work so hard for every year. I tried fried green tomatoes once, but I didn't care for them, and it still gave me an upset stomach (maybe that colored my perception of "like" a little bit...)

Rich did SUCH a good job on the cow barn yesterday! The cow stall is all cleaned out and has fresh shavings on the floor, and he even started digging out the icky part in the center of the calf stall, too. There's a bit more to be dug out there, and then filled in with some dirt, but it's looking good. Today, if he can get the Bobcat started, we'll start moving all of last years' outside poop piles to the "compost area" over on the horse side of the fence. I have to man the gate to make sure cows and horses don't cross over into forbidden territory ;) and Rich scoops up all the old poop and bedding and puts it in one big pile so it can start turning into black gold.

Then we have to start on the fence repairs... My nifty new loading chute is currently part of the cross-fence that SOMEBODY knocked down late last winter. We need to get that part of the fence re-done, and the hotwire re-run and hooked up to the juice, before I can put my loading chute back where it belongs. We won't need it for about four more months, but I hate to wait till the last minute. ;)

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
A bit of explanation on the dog grooming graduation thing.
The graduate is a daughter of a niece of the wife by her first marriage.
To them this is a big deal since I do not think they have a high school graduate among the lot of them.
And the poor girls mother and grandmother are in and out of rehab all the time...
Hope she makes something of herself.

Me? I am just supporting the wife unit.
Ahh the bliss of marriage.

And it is this afternoon instead of this morning. got up early for nuthin...

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
W A Y. . B A C K . . in 1967, when I graduated from high school, my mom told me that I was the first person in the family to graduate. Seems most of the dogs in the family just got pregnant and dropped out of school, and I doubt any of them had any grooming... :devil:

Lady Sarah

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
A bit of explanation on the dog grooming graduation thing.
The graduate is a daughter of a niece of the wife by her first marriage.
To them this is a big deal since I do not think they have a high school graduate among the lot of them.
And the poor girls mother and grandmother are in and out of rehab all the time...
Hope she makes something of herself.

Me? I am just supporting the wife unit.
Ahh the bliss of marriage.

And it is this afternoon instead of this morning. got up early for nuthin...
Rule #1: Happy wife, happy life.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
W A Y. . B A C K . . in 1967, when I graduated from high school, my mom told me that I was the first person in the family to graduate. Seems most of the dogs in the family just got pregnant and dropped out of school, and I doubt any of them had any grooming... :devil:
5 of 6 graduated HS in my family and 2 teach at universities.
And we were working poor.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
So how was dog grooming school graduation?

Was not so bad. The wifes exes family were somewhat entetrtaining.
Finally met the wife Units EX.
He is my age but looks LOTS older. Because of being an alkie I suppose.

Was glad for the girl graduating she seems to be the only one in that group with her head on pretty straight.
They gave her a job teaching at the Dog Grooming school.
And a paying internship for 90 days at $500/week.

Last edited:

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Evening phartz...hope someone did something besides work....I read Bob did (almost) that....:vino:

Although driving can be considered work, trying to avoid idiots on the road, then you have to make the mind work to fix the machine....guess it's not all guts and glory....:wave:

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
How do you make those? I absolutely cannot stomach an unripe tomato - too much acid, which means I can only eat store tomatoes sparingly. The only ones I can eat with no discomfort are my own tomatoes that ripen on the vine. I've never even heard of pickled green tomatoes. I'd like to try it, though, because we always have a ton of green ones still out there at first frost, and I end up bringing them in and letting them redden in a paper bag, then giving them to the chickens. I'd like to actually EAT all the tomatoes we work so hard for every year. I tried fried green tomatoes once, but I didn't care for them, and it still gave me an upset stomach (maybe that colored my perception of "like" a little bit...)

Fairly simple Lannie....altho I should have said fermented, not pickled.

Himalayan salt, lots of fresh dill weed, coriander and mustard seeds, with some bay leaves (or oak leaves) to keep um crunchie, cover with water. Let um ferment for about a week at a temperature of about 70+

Bingo, fermented green tomatoes, delis....better than any Jewish deli dill pickles, although made the same exact way.

Lannie

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Fairly simple Lannie....altho I should have said fermented, not pickled.

Himalayan salt, lots of fresh dill weed, coriander and mustard seeds, with some bay leaves (or oak leaves) to keep um crunchie, cover with water. Let um ferment for about a week at a temperature of about 70+

Bingo, fermented green tomatoes, delis....better than any Jewish deli dill pickles, although made the same exact way.

I have all that stuff, so I'll try a jar and see how I like 'em, thanks! :D They don't get moldy, do they? Cuz I don't eat anything that had mold on or in it. Which is why I don't make pickles the old fashioned way. I do ferment my sauerkraut, though. Just shred the cabbage, layer with salt, pack into jars and put the lids on loosely, sitting on the counter until they start to bubble over. No mold forms, though, maybe because it only takes 3 or 4 days. Then I clean off the jars and lids, and water bath can them so they'll be shelf-stable. I could put them straight in the fridge and they'd keep that way, but even though we have an obscene amount of fridges, they're all used for something, and I don't have room for a bunch of extra jars. I imagine water bath canning the green tomatoes would make them kinda mushy. I guess that would be OK as long as they tasted good, and it sounds like they do. I just hope they don't give me a belly-ache. :)

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
What is "bind weed"? It appears that some folks in some parts of the country have different ideas of what this "bind weed" crap actually is that I was talking about several days ago. Therefore, it seems only reasonable to me to share couple pictures so that you can see it for yourself.

100_0662.jpg
See all those adorably cute little flowers, both in the lawn and up the fence? They are the blooms of bind weed. Note that on the fence, which is standard field fencing, every single vertical wire in the fence has several of these weeds growing up it. You see, the damn weeds do not know that the fence is not alive, and it seems to have a purpose of choking everything it can get in its grasp.

Here's a close up:
100_0663.jpg
See how this crap winds around and around the wire? It does this to all the plants it can get at too, and whacking this crap off at ground level, while it will indeed kill that particular vine, will not cause that vine to loosen or fall off. It seems to maintain its death grip even after it is, itself, dead. You can, of course, pull it off, and that would cause no harm whatsoever to this field fencing, but to do the same action on your tomato vine or cucumber vine likely will rip that plant's vine off as well as the bind weed. Slow, cautious removal by unwinding is the only viable action.

Lady Sarah

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
What is "bind weed"? It appears that some folks in some parts of the country have different ideas of what this "bind weed" crap actually is that I was talking about several days ago. Therefore, it seems only reasonable to me to share couple pictures so that you can see it for yourself.

View attachment 116805
See all those adorably cute little flowers, both in the lawn and up the fence? They are the blooms of bind weed. Note that on the fence, which is standard field fencing, every single vertical wire in the fence has several of these weeds growing up it. You see, the damn weeds do not know that the fence is not alive, and it seems to have a purpose of choking everything it can get in its grasp.

Here's a close up:
View attachment 116806
See how this crap winds around and around the wire? It does this to all the plants it can get at too, and whacking this crap off at ground level, while it will indeed kill that particular vine, will not cause that vine to loosen or fall off. It seems to maintain its death grip even after it is, itself, dead. You can, of course, pull it off, and that would cause no harm whatsoever to this field fencing, but to do the same action on your tomato vine or cucumber vine likely will rip that plant's vine off as well as the bind weed. Slow, cautious removal by unwinding is the only viable action.
We're used to having something similar, but with bluish purple flowers. Since I clear the fence line with brush killer, it has a hard time coming back every year, but it never goes away. I've been fighting it here for 7 years.

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
We're used to having something similar, but with bluish purple flowers. Since I clear the fence line with brush killer, it has a hard time coming back every year, but it never goes away. I've been fighting it here for 7 years.
These appear very white in these pictures, but there is a pinkish-purple cast to them as well. Because I refuse to spray poison chemicals on anything here, I just have to fight them with the weed whacker, lawn mower, or by ripping them out by hand. I typically do not fight them on the fences because they are not hurting anything there and, let's face it, the flowers are kind of pretty.

VU Sponsors