inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
True that ;)
Mainly a junk food junkie myself.

Just do not like strong tasting foods esp meats.
Which is why I do not care much for wild meat.

I do like seared decaying bovine flesh though. No liver or entrails though.
Swine flesh is tasty too.
Ditto...not nuts about pork or anything wild either.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
No, and I don't have a trailer big enough to get that POS to town. The mechanic will come get it, but his pick-up fee is $100 to come 27 miles and I wouldn't even rate the guy as a very good mechanic.
After it dies does it kind of do an out of balance cranking when trying to start?
If so may well be a valve sticking open. Had one on a 16 HP Kohler doing that to me. Changed to oil to full synthetic 10w30 and it fixed the problem.

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Yeah. I forgot the onions. But, it's better than truck stop food any day.

We have one truck stop in town. They screwed up one pizza order 3 times. I kid you not.
Sounds like the problem, Sarah..."Truck Stop Pizza"...truckers prolly don't give a damn if it wrong..

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
After it dies does it kind of do an out of balance cranking when trying to start?
If so may well be a valve sticking open. Had one on a 16 HP Kohler doing that to me. Changed to oil to full synthetic 10w30 and it fixed the problem.
I heard putting synthetic oil in a machine not accustomed to it could screw the engine up....any truth to that?...personally I've never tried it.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I heard putting synthetic oil is a machine not accustomed to it could screw the engine up....any truth to that?...personally I've never tried it.
It can cause the engine to start leaking more oil, maybe but should not hurt the engine if it is not pretty much worn out and needs the higher viscosity of thicker dino oil.
As long as the viscosity is in the range for the engine you should be ok.
NEVER use any 0W oil in a small engine.

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
It can cause the engine to start leaking more oil, maybe but should not hurt the engine if it is not pretty much worn out and needs the higher viscosity of thicker dino oil.
As long as the viscosity is in the range for the engine you should be ok.
NEVER use any 0W oil in a small engine.
Gotcha....I never knew the correct answer.

Now I do....learn sometin nu everyday....!

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Burbles a bit during the dying process, but when restarting an hour later, it acts like there never was a problem. This 1984 Bobcat has a 2-cylinder Kohler 20 HP horizontal output engine (if it was vertical, I could just swap it out with the 24 HP version on my older CubCadet riding mower). Anyway, I was seriously considering an oil swap and I also bought 5-gallons of brand new hydraulic fluid, but am now not sure if I want to waste all that new fluid on this antique POS.

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Burbles a bit during the dying process, but when restarting an hour later, it acts like there never was a problem. This 1984 Bobcat has a 2-cylinder Kohler 20 HP horizontal output engine (if it was vertical, I could just swap it out with the 24 HP version on my older CubCadet riding mower). Anyway, I was seriously considering an oil swap and I also bought 5-gallons of brand new hydraulic fluid, but am now not sure if I want to waste all that new fluid on this antique POS.
Can you still buy a Kohler engine for it?...or they long gone?

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Can you still buy a Kohler engine for it?...or they long gone?
Don't know. It is 34 years old, so I guess I should be thankful it still works at all. I mean, look at what happens with riding mowers around here (1-2 years max). I'm sure the "official" Bobcat dealer (100 miles from here) might be able to come up with something, but to have a dealer do the work... well, I suspect I could buy a brand new skid steer for their repair fees.

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Don't know. It is 34 years old, so I guess I should be thankful it still works at all. I mean, look at what happens with riding mowers around here (1-2 years max). I'm sure the "official" Bobcat dealer (100 miles from here) might be able to come up with something, but to have a dealer do the work... well, I suspect I could buy a brand new skid steer for their repair fees.
I have no idea what new skid steers sell for. How much are they?

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I have no idea what new skid steers sell for. How much are they?
Ranges from about $12,000 on up to $40,000 or more depending on size, power, weight capability, operator comfort levels (enclosed cab with A/C and stereo), and accessory options.

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Damn, you really think it would cost more than 4-5K to put a new motor in the ole girl?
Actually, that is right about what I would expect, but $5k is what I paid for the whole damn Bobcat 10 years ago. I am wondering if I can find another used one in that price range or whether I'd just be buying someone else's headache with no warranty.

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Actually, that is right about what I would expect, but $5k is what I paid for the whole damn Bobcat 10 years ago. I am wondering if I can find another used one in that price range or whether I'd just be buying someone else's headache with no warranty.
I hear that....personally I'd have a new engine installed....or find someone besides a dealer to install it....save money there I assume...."IF" you could find a good mechanic....which seem to be hard to find these days.

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Rich, does Kohler still make that engine?
Unknown. I thought about searching for it, but then realized I could not replace it myself because half the damn Bobcat has to come apart to access all the parts. I have neither the facilities, equipment, or personal mechanical skills (or physical stamina) to do that.
personally I'd have a new engine installed....or find someone besides a dealer to install it....save money there I assume...."IF" you could find a good mechanic....which seem to be hard to find these days.
And the problem with this is that the mechanic wants cash. Buying another skid steer can be financed. I can handle a small monthly payment, but I am scrooging us to death already trying to save enough cash to have the roof fixed and the generator switch installed, so buying $4-5k in mechanic cost right at the moment just ain't gonna happen. Zero down and $100/month is livable, but $4,000 cash is not.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
You might try a crankcase oil change with synthetic. should not hurt anything and might fix your problem. The burbling could be a valve stuck open.

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
How's it going Rich............

Have any luck with duh bobby-cat?

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Well, I pondered what *I* am capable of doing (very little), so I stared at it awhile, then topped off the oil, the hydraulic fluid, filled the gas... figured a couple new spark plugs wouldn't hurt... but given that it was 90 °F today, there was no point in even starting it because it always vapor locks at that temperature (or above), and given that it did so at almost 20 degrees less yesterday, I figured it would be a lost cause to even try today. Hot and clear all day, but 11 PM now and it is raining again (even though Mars is still visible to the south). :crazy:

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Rebooked my flight to SA today, leave in two weeks. Only about a month and a half late. Better late than never I guess, it's been a really busy last few weeks tho.

I'm trying to find a Cat D8 dozer to level some land. Not many choices available. Need to rent one from a Cat dealer which are far and few between. Found a contractor who rents the dozer by the hour with an operator....don't want an operator, I'm an operator, and know exactly what I want done.

Guess I'll have to splurge, hit a Cat dealer.

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Well, I pondered what *I* am capable of doing (very little), so I stared at it awhile, then topped off the oil, the hydraulic fluid, filled the gas... figured a couple new spark plugs wouldn't hurt... but given that it was 90 °F today, there was no point in even starting it because it always vapor locks at that temperature (or above), and given that it did so at almost 20 degrees less yesterday, I figured it would be a lost cause to even try today. Hot and clear all day, but 11 PM now and it is raining again (even though Mars is still visible to the south). :crazy:
Heat is usually the number one cause of vapor lock. Anyway to cool the engine down more?

Better fan, different angle pitch on the blades?

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Heat is usually the number one cause of vapor lock. Anyway to cool the engine down more?

Better fan, different angle pitch on the blades?
I wouldn't have a clue what would make an air-cooled engine cooler when the air is hot. I suppose I could hang a bag of ice cubes in there, but how long would that last? :rolleyes:

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I had an old lil car years and years ago, don't remember if it was a fiat of mg, some foreign job...didn't have it long due to vapor lock....sold it to a friend. He changed the pitch of the fan and it solved the problem, guess the gas was just getting to hot. I remember him tell me anyway.

I'd say one method is to find a way to keep the gas cooler.

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Have you always had this problem with the skid steer?

I'm leveling land in Ecuador.
They have CAT dealers in EC that are within any kind of reasonable distance from you?

Yeah, I have only had this 34 year old Bobcat for, ummm... 10-11 years? And it has always vapor locked in the hot of summer since I have owned it. I do not know whether or not it did for the previous owner.
Does it still vapor lock when out and about...not in a hot confined space?
What confined space? I mean, like I don't try to use it in the house :) so I am always out in the corral or pasture when this happens.

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
They have CAT dealers in EC that are within any kind of reasonable distance from you?

Yeah, I have only had this 34 year old Bobcat for, ummm... 10-11 years? And it has always vapor locked in the hot of summer since I have owned it. I do not know whether or not it did for the previous owner.

What confined space? I mean, like I don't try to use it in the house :) so I am always out in the corral or pasture when this happens.
I thought you were in the barn cleaning stalls or something. Guess I had a different picture in my head.

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I had an old lil car years and years ago, don't remember if it was a fiat of mg, some foreign job...didn't have it long due to vapor lock....sold it to a friend. He changed the pitch of the fan and it solved the problem, guess the gas was just getting to hot. I remember him tell me anyway..
Had an old Jeep Grand Cherokee when I lived in Montana that would vapor lock in the hot at altitudes above 7,000 feet. Drove me nuts. A mechanic found a pin hole in a vacuum tube, replaced that, and it never happened again.

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I can get a D9 for about $10K a week...plus another 5K to get it there and back. But, I can move a shit load of earth in a week.

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Had an old Jeep Grand Cherokee when I lived in Montana that would vapor lock in the hot at altitudes above 7,000 feet. Drove me nuts. A mechanic found a pin hole in a vacuum tube, replaced that, and it never happened again.
Altitude seems to be one culprit, and vacuum the other. I suppose you already replaced the vacuum hoses.

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I thought you were in the barn cleaning stalls or something. Guess I had a different picture in my head.
No, we throw all the shit outside the cow barn, which makes lots of piles at one edge of the cow corral, and I usually move all those to one big pile on the horse side of the cross fence to become compost.

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Altitude seems to be one culprit, and vacuum the other. I suppose you already replaced the vacuum hoses.
Haven't replaced them (yet) because the portions I can see do not appear to be faulty. Bear in mind, the engine is in an extremely tight little cubby hole and it is very hard to work on any portion of the engine without removing it from the enclosure. Damn thing won't keep the battery charged because it is magneto style, and some of the magnets on the flywheel are missing, and, of course, the flywheel is on the front of the engine, which cannot even be touched from the enclosure doorway. You MUST remove the entire engine in order to access the flywheel. I had no idea when I bought this thing that I would not be able to work on it without having access to a full service shop.

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I thought you were in the barn cleaning stalls or something. Guess I had a different picture in my head
The confusion here is probably because a few days ago I was in the barn cleaning stalls... with a pitchfork and wheelbarrow. But the Bobcat can't get in there.

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Haven't replaced them (yet) because the portions I can see do not appear to be faulty. Bear in mind, the engine is in an extremely tight little cubby hole and it is very hard to work on any portion of the engine without removing it from the enclosure. Damn thing won't keep the battery charged because it is magneto style, and some of the magnets on the flywheel are missing, and, of course, the flywheel is on the front of the engine, which cannot even be touched from the enclosure doorway. You MUST remove the entire engine in order to access the flywheel. I had no idea when I bought this thing that I would not be able to work on it without having access to a full service shop.
I'm getting the full picture now. Like I said yesterday, sounds like the engine is prolly shot. If the remainder is in decent shape, can't you find a rebuilt engine?...or are they so uncommon nowadays, impossible to find?

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
The confusion here is probably because a few days ago I was in the barn cleaning stalls... with a pitchfork and wheelbarrow. But the Bobcat can't get in there.
That's where the confusion began, for me anyway. I was under the impression you said fuck the fork, use the skid steer.

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
If you could tell me the exact engine model, I could try to find one here....there are a LOT of machine shops, old farmers, ranches...et al in the area.

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I'm getting the full picture now. Like I said yesterday, sounds like the engine is prolly shot. If the remainder is in decent shape, can't you find a rebuilt engine?...or are they so uncommon nowadays, impossible to find?
Which leads us to yesterday's conversation about cost. Assuming that there is a replacement engine available (I'm sure they could come up with something), then the nearest place that is capable of doing this is 100 miles away. #1, I have no way to get it there, and #2, they will want cash of several thousand dollars, which I do not have. So do I just park it out back and finance another used POS?

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Let me look around here for one, probably a hell of a lot cheaper than in your area. If I could find one here, not a problem getting it to SD. I bet I could find someone with a decent machine at a good price. Most of the farmers are selling their ranches to builders, not many ranches left, until you head out way past the greater Phx area.

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
What is the model number of the one you have? so I have an idea of what to look for.

VU Sponsors