Become a Patron!

Old Pharts Club

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
You are to be applauded for not doing that - it poisons everything, including you
I have a slightly different view than many people... legally, I own this property and can do with it what I choose, but I only see it as that I have been granted custodianship of a small plot of Mother Earth's body, for which I must care for it and the animals who choose to abide with me here. The only harm I will do is to those who would harm others, so yes, I will whack a fox now and then, but chemicals kill plants and all animals who eat those plants and, in some cases, even breath the air around them. I choose not to be a part of the destruction of this planet.
P.S.
Don't get me entirely wrong on that point because I am not an unreasonable tree hugging terrorist either. I am responsible only for my piece of this game, not for what happens on the other side of the world, whether I like it or not. (and quite often, what is reported is a lie anyway)

Last edited:

Lady Sarah

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
About the only time you'll see me hugging a tree is on my way up to a deer stand.
Don't get me wrong. I like trees. I planted several on the piece of land I take care of.

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I have all that stuff, so I'll try a jar and see how I like 'em, thanks! :D They don't get moldy, do they? Cuz I don't eat anything that had mold on or in it. Which is why I don't make pickles the old fashioned way. I do ferment my sauerkraut, though. Just shred the cabbage, layer with salt, pack into jars and put the lids on loosely, sitting on the counter until they start to bubble over. No mold forms, though, maybe because it only takes 3 or 4 days. Then I clean off the jars and lids, and water bath can them so they'll be shelf-stable. I could put them straight in the fridge and they'd keep that way, but even though we have an obscene amount of fridges, they're all used for something, and I don't have room for a bunch of extra jars. I imagine water bath canning the green tomatoes would make them kinda mushy. I guess that would be OK as long as they tasted good, and it sounds like they do. I just hope they don't give me a belly-ache. :)

No moldy veggies, Lannie...just delicious.....Salt is a preservative...it's all you really need, although don't forget the garlic too....:wave:

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Evening phartz....hope everyone had a fantastic Sunday....I worked, I'd guess Rich did too?.....:vino:

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I have a slightly different view than many people... legally, I own this property and can do with it what I choose, but I only see it as that I have been granted custodianship of a small plot of Mother Earth's body, for which I must care for it and the animals who choose to abide with me here. The only harm I will do is to those who would harm others, so yes, I will whack a fox now and then, but chemicals kill plants and all animals who eat those plants and, in some cases, even breath the air around them. I choose not to be a part of the destruction of this planet.
P.S.
Don't get me entirely wrong on that point because I am not an unreasonable tree hugging terrorist either. I am responsible for my piece of this game, not for what happens on the other side of the world, whether I like it or not. (and quite often, what is reported is a lie anyway)
I applaud your attitude Mr Rich....:cheers:

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Evening phartz....hope everyone had a fantastic Sunday....I worked, I'd guess Rich did too?.....:vino:
Well, I worked yesterday (and didn't get on here to report it). Finished forking out the calf stall, then brought a couple wheelbarrows of dirt in the fill in the hole and level things out for the new babies due here in just over another month, then went out of the old TroyBilt and mowed a bunch of seedy grass in the cow corral, etc., etc. Today, I was planning to crank up the Bobcat and move several tons of cow shit, but this huge thunderstorm snuck up on us early afternoon, along with heavy rain and some really cold downrush winds (temperature dropped to 55 -- Brrrrr), so maybe that will happen tomorrow.

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Well, I worked yesterday (and didn't get on here to report it). Finished forking out the calf stall, then brought a couple wheelbarrows of dirt in the fill in the hole and level things out for the new babies due here in just over another month, then went out of the old TroyBilt and mowed a bunch of seedy grass in the cow corral, etc., etc. Today, I was planning to crank up the Bobcat and move several tons of cow shit, but this huge thunderstorm snuck up on us early afternoon, along with heavy rain and some really cold downrush winds (temperature dropped to 55 -- Brrrrr), so maybe that will happen tomorrow.
Talk about WILD weather!....:)

Wish it would drop 30 degrees here....not a chance for another month +.....:gaah:

Lady Sarah

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
And all I did today was 4 loads of laundry and putting up the crown molding in the bathroom. My hips were no help. I fell 4 times today due to bursitis and sciatica.

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Had the light show in the sky last night, it was black toward the south before sunset...where the storms usually originate, nadda...not a drop, piffled out....:(

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
What is "bind weed"? It appears that some folks in some parts of the country have different ideas of what this "bind weed" crap actually is that I was talking about several days ago. Therefore, it seems only reasonable to me to share couple pictures so that you can see it for yourself.

View attachment 116805
See all those adorably cute little flowers, both in the lawn and up the fence? They are the blooms of bind weed. Note that on the fence, which is standard field fencing, every single vertical wire in the fence has several of these weeds growing up it. You see, the damn weeds do not know that the fence is not alive, and it seems to have a purpose of choking everything it can get in its grasp.

Here's a close up:
View attachment 116806
See how this crap winds around and around the wire? It does this to all the plants it can get at too, and whacking this crap off at ground level, while it will indeed kill that particular vine, will not cause that vine to loosen or fall off. It seems to maintain its death grip even after it is, itself, dead. You can, of course, pull it off, and that would cause no harm whatsoever to this field fencing, but to do the same action on your tomato vine or cucumber vine likely will rip that plant's vine off as well as the bind weed. Slow, cautious removal by unwinding is the only viable action.
Missed this post....I've never seen that weed...!

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
You think the preacher is still having a long conversation with Crom?......:giggle:

Thinking about it, I guess I doubt it.....:teehee:

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I've never seen that weed...!
Maybe it only grows in fertile soils with adequate rainfall. We have had more weeds this year than normal because we have had significantly more rainfall than normal. So maybe it just doesn't grow in the desert. ?

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
You think the preacher is still having a long conversation with Crom?......:giggle:

Thinking about it, I guess I doubt it.....:teehee:
Cromwell has this very evil recliner at his house. Seems that when he has had a long tiring day and sits down in that beast, it wraps around him and puts him to sleep. He'll probably wake up after we have all logged off.

Speaking of which, I need to do that now. Bedtime for Bonzo... or whatever.

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Cromwell has this very evil recliner at his house. Seems that when he has had a long tiring day and sits down in that beast, it wraps around him and puts him to sleep. He'll probably wake up after we have all logged off.

Speaking of which, I need to do that now. Bedtime for Bonzo... or whatever.
Have a great Monday, Rich...!

Lannie

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Missed this post....I've never seen that weed...!
Me either, but it seems aptly named

One of its other names is wild morning glory, which is prolly what people who don't have to do battle with it all the time call it. Everyone around here calls it bindweed. ;) If I had a pergola, there wouldn't be anything that could cover it better or faster, that's fer shur.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Had to take the SIL shopping today but aside from that really did not do much of anything.
A good day overall.
Storms moving in and for all day tommorrow I think.

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Had to take the SIL shopping today but aside from that really did not do much of anything.
A good day overall.
Storms moving in and for all day tomorrow I think.
Well at least you didn't say you had to hit the bottle for a few hrs after that excursion ......:teehee:....:devil:

The preacher man must of straightened you out yesterday.....:giggle:

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
aside from that really did not do much of anything.
I tried to do something today, but the Bobcat did not want to comply. Oh, I got it started and out to the cow corral. Moved shit for about 20 minutes and the damn thing died. The sound/feel of it croaking felt exactly like high temperature vapor lock, which it has done in the past when I tried to use it at anything over 90 °F, but it was only 73 °F at the time (leftover coolness from yesterday's thunderstorm). Went back in the house, then just under an hour (figured it would be cool by then), went back out and it started right up, so I moved shit for another 25 minutes before Bob died again. Heysoose Kristos, ya mutha fukah!!! Back in the house and wait an hour, then back to the corral and that piece of shit fired right up, so I just drove it back to the garage and parked it. I have no clue what I need to do with it, but I bet I didn't move more than 20% of the past year's worth of cow shit, and I sure can't do the rest by wheelbarrow without ending up in a wheelchair.

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I tried to do something today, but the Bobcat did not want to comply. Oh, I got it started and out to the cow corral. Moved shit for about 20 minutes and the damn thing died. The sound/feel of it croaking felt exactly like high temperature vapor lock, which it has done in the past when I tried to use it at anything over 90 °F, but it was only 73 °F at the time (leftover coolness from yesterday's thunderstorm). Went back in the house, then just under an hour (figured it would be cool by then), went back out and it started right up, so I moved shit for another 25 minutes before Bob died again. Heysoose Kristos, ya mutha fukah!!! Back in the house and wait an hour, then back to the corral and that piece of shit fired right up, so I just drove it back to the garage and parked it. I have no clue what I need to do with it, but I bet I didn't move more than 20% of the past year's worth of cow shit, and I sure can't do the rest by wheelbarrow without ending up in a wheelchair.
You have any traveling heavy equipment mechanics in your area?

Lady Sarah

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I finally got Phillip to enjoy eating liver. With some home made red eye gravy and a big batch of real mashed potatoes. Good thing, too. We have 10 more packages of calf liver in the freezer.

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I finally got Phillip to enjoy eating liver. With some home made red eye gravy and a big batch of real mashed potatoes. Good thing, too. We have 10 more packages of calf liver in the freezer.
That is one thing I can't take......nasty stuff.

Some say lots of caramelized onions help....they certainly don't help me.....:blech:

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
It's dificult to make a junk food addict enjoy real food.
True that ;)
Mainly a junk food junkie myself.

Just do not like strong tasting foods esp meats.
Which is why I do not care much for wild meat.

I do like seared decaying bovine flesh though. No liver or entrails though.
Swine flesh is tasty too.

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
No, and I don't have a trailer big enough to get that POS to town. The mechanic will come get it, but his pick-up fee is $100 to come 27 miles and I wouldn't even rate the guy as a very good mechanic.
That's not good. Sorry to hear all these machinery issues.

VU Sponsors