Become a Patron!

ORCHID MODIFICATION THREAD

M5amhan

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
New Silverplay pre-order on FT.

View attachment 17257

Obviously no samples yet, because they are using photos of the authentic. I would like see photos of the actual clone before adding this to my Orchid/Taifun/Kayfun parts bin.

Remember, Silverplay designers put as much compatibility into this as they could. You could use just the base/deck and build up from there with compatible pieces. That would give you external AFC with airflow and juice channel improvements over the stock Orchid. Most importantly to compatibility is the M20 x .5 tank threading on the base. Secondly, I believe the chamber threading to the base is also Orchid compatible at M14 x .5, though I have not confirmed this yet. The threading of the chamber to the chimney is Kayfun compatible at M12 x .5. This means the tank size can be increased in all the ways we have been using, except with the addition of new screw-on Kayfun chimney choices. Top caps choices will be equally open and familiar to us. The Silverplay chimney to top cap threading is not compatible however.

As I've said before, I prefer full time wide open airflow, so the external AFC doesn't mean much to me. The JFC on my recent Orchids allows me to dial in the taste without compromising the airflow. However, those of you who want the ability to adjust the vape to taste might appreciate the external AFC feature. It's the traditional way to accomplish that.
man cant wait to play around with this :D

DoctorIdiot

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
New Silverplay pre-order on FT.

View attachment 17257

Obviously no samples yet, because they are using photos of the authentic. I would like see photos of the actual clone before adding this to my Orchid/Taifun/Kayfun parts bin.

Remember, Silverplay designers put as much compatibility into this as they could. You could use just the base/deck and build up from there with compatible pieces. That would give you external AFC with airflow and juice channel improvements over the stock Orchid. Most importantly to compatibility is the M20 x .5 tank threading on the base. Secondly, I believe the chamber threading to the base is also Orchid compatible at M14 x .5, though I have not confirmed this yet. The threading of the chamber to the chimney is Kayfun compatible at M12 x .5. This means the tank size can be increased in all the ways we have been using, except with the addition of new screw-on Kayfun chimney choices. Top caps choices will be equally open and familiar to us. The Silverplay chimney to top cap threading is not compatible however.

As I've said before, I prefer full time wide open airflow, so the external AFC doesn't mean much to me. The JFC on my recent Orchids allows me to dial in the taste without compromising the airflow. However, those of you who want the ability to adjust the vape to taste might appreciate the external AFC feature. It's the traditional way to accomplish that.

i'm actually pretty excited by this, for one major reason.

i still plan on doing a full side-by-side review of the goblin, but here's a spoiler about my absolute favorite feature: the staggered height of the posts on the build deck. it seems silly, but when i first saw a picture of the goblin and silverplay build deck (which appear to be extremely similar) something clicked in my head and wouldn't turn off until i finally ordered my goblin v2. every single time i do one of my twisted builds on an orchid, i end up having to do some pretty dexterous cutting to get my inner leads clipped. with the staggered posts, this is 100% fixed. it's such a simple thing too, but it has made a world of difference for me on the goblin.

it's not that building on the orchid is hard, obviously. as long as you aren't using that crappy "authentic" deck, building is pretty easy. but clipping the inner leads on a twisted build is awkward and annoying, and the staggered posts makes it utterly trivial, just like it should be. in practice, all it really means is that i'm more willing to experiment with coils on the goblin than i am on any single orchid. I've experimented plenty on orchids, but only because i own so many of them :)

with the goblin, i've been changing out coils every time i change wicks, not because i have to, but because i CAN and it's so dang FAST.

again though, this is obviously not the whole story with the goblin. I just wanted to note that i'm excited about the silverplay for exactly the same reason. if they start selling that deck a la carte and it fits with all my orchid parts, i may very well replace some or all of my orchid decks... provided the quality is there of course.

TheWestPole

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'm just curious if you leave anything you buy stock o_O

Hey, IMI. Lemmie think. :rolleyes: I've never touched my SMPL mechs. They've been perfect.

But I don't think I've ever left an atty untouched. They can all be improved, especially clones. It's not just a idiosyncrasy. I have been pursuing my ideal RTA for months and am finally getting there with the stock Orchid as a starting point. :)

TheWestPole

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
i'm actually pretty excited by this, for one major reason.

i still plan on doing a full side-by-side review of the goblin, but here's a spoiler about my absolute favorite feature: the staggered height of the posts on the build deck. it seems silly, but when i first saw a picture of the goblin and silverplay build deck (which appear to be extremely similar) something clicked in my head and wouldn't turn off until i finally ordered my goblin v2. every single time i do one of my twisted builds on an orchid, i end up having to do some pretty dexterous cutting to get my inner leads clipped. with the staggered posts, this is 100% fixed. it's such a simple thing too, but it has made a world of difference for me on the goblin.

it's not that building on the orchid is hard, obviously. as long as you aren't using that crappy "authentic" deck, building is pretty easy. but clipping the inner leads on a twisted build is awkward and annoying, and the staggered posts makes it utterly trivial, just like it should be. in practice, all it really means is that i'm more willing to experiment with coils on the goblin than i am on any single orchid. I've experimented plenty on orchids, but only because i own so many of them :)

with the goblin, i've been changing out coils every time i change wicks, not because i have to, but because i CAN and it's so dang FAST.

again though, this is obviously not the whole story with the goblin. I just wanted to note that i'm excited about the silverplay for exactly the same reason. if they start selling that deck a la carte and it fits with all my orchid parts, i may very well replace some or all of my orchid decks... provided the quality is there of course.

I hear ya. It can be a bitch. I've resorted to clipping those inner leads to finished length before final positioning and tightening, since it's so hard to reach them once they're in place.

Goblin's deck and chamber threading is a bit smaller than Orchid or Silverplay. That would give the compatibility advantage to the Silverplay base. So, yeah, should be a nice addition to the "parts department." :)

Last edited:

heateris

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I ordered the silverplay from FT today. I've been watching vaporDNA.com for a few days, but out of stock. Too bad, $13 clone FTW. So I got the silverplay clone and UD Goliath on order. Maybe they'll be here by May.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sohkis

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
New: Silverplay clone pre-order on FT.
Secondly, I believe the chamber threading to the base is also Orchid compatible at M14 x .5, though I have not confirmed this yet. The threading of the chamber to the chimney is Kayfun compatible at M12 x .5. This means the tank size can be increased in all the ways we have been using, except with the addition of new screw-on Kayfun chimney choices. Top caps choices will be equally open and familiar to us. The Silverplay chimney to top cap threading is not compatible however.

i can confirm the deck to chimney threading is compatible w/the orchid chimney on the official silverplay, as well as the deck to the tank.

i'm currently using an orchid chimney & kayfun pmma tank on mine.

TheWestPole

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
i can confirm the deck to chimney threading is compatible w/the orchid chimney on the official silverplay, as well as the deck to the tank.

i'm currently using an orchid chimney & kayfun pmma tank on mine.

Thanks, @sohkis. Thought so. Got a favorite top cap for that rig?

sohkis

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Thanks, @sohkis. Thought so. Got a favorite top cap for that rig?

as i tend to switch between flavors frequently i haven't seen a need for the larger tanks, i'm using my short pmma kf tank & 2 piece avid vaper chimney mostly. i've built it up a few times since this build, but it doesn't look any different. i prefer this top to the bellcap & often don't even use a drip tip w/it, just vape on it as it sits in the pic
sp_kfpmma.jpg

TheWestPole

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
as i tend to switch between flavors frequently i haven't seen a need for the larger tanks, i'm using my short pmma kf tank & 2 piece avid vaper chimney mostly. i've built it up a few times since this build, but it doesn't look any different. i prefer this top to the bellcap & often don't even use a drip tip w/it, just vape on it as it sits in the pic
View attachment 17312

:) My favorite top caps are also plastic. Why should a top cap weigh anything?

InMyImage

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Hey, IMI. Lemmie think. :rolleyes: I've never touched my SMPL mechs. They've been perfect.

But I don't think I've ever left an atty untouched. They can all be improved, especially clones. It's not just a idiosyncrasy. I have been pursuing my ideal RTA for months and am finally getting there with the stock Orchid as a starting point. :)
Here... let me introduce your SMPL to forced patina... LOL

Eric DeCastro

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Not my thing, thank you. :p
i can't stand patina look. it just looks bad to me.
C371E92F-2AFF-43B8-961A-D3936E7ADD6F_zpsgcqvtur3.jpg

DoctorIdiot

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years

ehhh.... i'd buy the clone silverplay over that one. that's clearly a clone of the v1 goblin, which has post screw issues and a VERRRYYYY tiny capacity. like, 15 minutes of chaining at 50 watts.

the v2 goblin is awesome, and i heartily recommend it. i bought an "authentic" at the FULL PRICE of *gasp* like 33 bucks on ebay from some guy in jersey. quite decent capacity, perfect screws, and an absolute joy to build on.

I'm going to order a few of the clone silverplays, but if they clone the v2 gobbo i might try those as well, just to compare to the "authentic" version.

but honestly, i'm far more interested in the silverplay clone anyway, due to parts compatibility. the major selling point of the goblin is those posts, the major handicap is it's COMPLETE lack of accessible orchid-style modding. the silverplay might just be a combination of the two best sides, but we'll see. i'm most likely to just pull the build decks from the silverplays and slot em right into my orchid setups, so long as that all works together...

EDIT: scratch that, one of the pictures didn't load the first time. that is clearly at least SORT of like the v2, in that it has the larger tank. not sure about the screws, and probably wont be able to tell until it gets here, but.... into the cart it goes..

M5amhan

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
ehhh.... i'd buy the clone silverplay over that one. that's clearly a clone of the v1 goblin, which has post screw issues and a VERRRYYYY tiny capacity. like, 15 minutes of chaining at 50 watts.

the v2 goblin is awesome, and i heartily recommend it. i bought an "authentic" at the FULL PRICE of *gasp* like 33 bucks on ebay from some guy in jersey. quite decent capacity, perfect screws, and an absolute joy to build on.

I'm going to order a few of the clone silverplays, but if they clone the v2 gobbo i might try those as well, just to compare to the "authentic" version.

but honestly, i'm far more interested in the silverplay clone anyway, due to parts compatibility. the major selling point of the goblin is those posts, the major handicap is it's COMPLETE lack of accessible orchid-style modding. the silverplay might just be a combination of the two best sides, but we'll see. i'm most likely to just pull the build decks from the silverplays and slot em right into my orchid setups, so long as that all works together...

EDIT: scratch that, one of the pictures didn't load the first time. that is clearly at least SORT of like the v2, in that it has the larger tank. not sure about the screws, and probably wont be able to tell until it gets here, but.... into the cart it goes..
yea i havent decided on the goblin but the silverplay is coming home for sure

goblin looks like it was so close to being compatible wit orchid parts looking at this pic

2202700-2.jpg

DoctorIdiot

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years

goblin looks like it was so close to being compatible wit orchid parts looking at this pic

View attachment 17342

ya know, to be fair, i've never actually TRIED to make it work on the bottom. with the chimney being threaded to the topcap and the topcap being non-threaded, it just didn't seem like it was worth the effort to try unless there was another chimney that could be made to work. and i AM pretty sure that other chimneys do not work... but again, i never tried :p

perhaps i'll try on the next rewick

TheWestPole

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Was just in jest. By now I bet @TheWestPole already has ideas for making his own "authentic" mod :)

Me too. Just not my thing project-wise. I've seen so many incredible looking patinas and I'm impressed by the patience and technique that goes into them. Functional modifications crowd the top of to do my list and I just never get down to the decorative ideas. :(

TheWestPole

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years

View attachment 17342
ya know, to be fair, i've never actually TRIED to make it work on the bottom. with the chimney being threaded to the topcap and the topcap being non-threaded, it just didn't seem like it was worth the effort to try unless there was another chimney that could be made to work. and i AM pretty sure that other chimneys do not work... but again, i never tried :p

perhaps i'll try on the next rewick

The deck on the Goblin is smaller in diameter than Orchid and Silverplay so the chamber threading is not compatible. One point against it. I checked into that when Goblin first came out, just can't recall now the source and I never got the exact threading spec. Perhaps @DoctorIdiot could put a caliper on it and give us a number. My guess is it's something like M13 x .5, which would be halfway between Kayfun and Orchid.

TheWestPole

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Change of plan. Ordered 1/2" OD tubing and will do that first. I realized with that size I could fit a 3/32" thick o-ring without having to drill a gland for it. The area inside the thread ring of the top cap should be just the right diameter and depth. Hope it works. Will be easier and cheaper to adapt the top cap that way.

Came in today (far right). :)

View attachment 17148

First of the 1/2" chimneys with external JFC. Chimney seals fine using the 3/32" thick o-ring sitting inside the thread ring of the top cap. No need to drill a gland for it. This size tubing makes it easier to construct the chimney too. I will break the steps down with pictures later. Just going to enjoy this for awhile.

Tank and top cap are Taifun GT. Capacity is 4 ml measured.

IMAG0358_picmonkeyed.jpgIMAG0357_picmonkeyed (1).jpg
Screenshot 2015-03-23 at 6.32.36 PM.png

www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004XN9OXO/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

TheWestPole

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ok @TheWestPole where do I pay for the topcap and chimney? Good work hope it vapes as good as it looks.

It vapes great, though not as dramatic an improvement as the 8mm was over the 4mm stock chimney. I need to do a side by side comparison between this 11mm and 8mm ID chimneys, using the same lengths, fresh builds and juice.

Not decided yet on offering an upgrade kit. The juice channels are non-standard machining and time consuming. o_O

InMyImage

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
It vapes great, though not as dramatic an improvement as the 8mm was over the 4mm stock chimney. I need to do a side by side comparison between this 11mm and 8mm ID chimneys, using the same lengths, fresh builds and juice.

Not decided yet on offering an upgrade kit. The juice channels are non-standard machining and time consuming. o_O
Are you using/do you have a lathe and mill? If so which ones?

heateris

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
My orchid had been a moody bitch lately. Floods one minute, dry hits the next. I just drained it and gave it a good cleaning. I'm gonna swap out the o-rings and rebuild it. Hopefully that gets it out of its funk.

Citizen

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Yeah, I wish I had the money get a small mill and metal lathe. A wood lathe would be nice too :)

The wife would probably kick me in the balls if I did though :eek:
The worst part is I have access to all this stuff at work, just zero time to play! I've got so many idea and drawings mocked up and just haven't had a chance to work on them.

pwnby

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
It's funny, y'all talk about mills and lathes and I think to myself, man if I had a good machine shop at my disposal I would pump out the mods and atomizers... But then reality strikes and I realize I don't really find enough time to epoxy a few tubes together, let alone run a machine shop I don't have lol

TheWestPole

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
It's funny, y'all talk about mills and lathes and I think to myself, man if I had a good machine shop at my disposal I would pump out the mods and atomizers... But then reality strikes and I realize I don't really find enough time to epoxy a few tubes together, let alone run a machine shop I don't have lol

Yeah, time is a real bitch, and expensive. When I find the time to spend on this stuff, I have to force myself to put $$$ out of my mind. :eek:

Last edited:

Eric DeCastro

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Hey @Eric DeCastro , what would you say are the positives about the Kayfun V4 chamber on an Orchid?
can access the coils and wick without emptying the tank. tool less fill. I vaped it and found the resistance wasn't to my liking so tomorrow, I'm going to rebuild it without emptying the tank. oh I can put cotton tails in the juice channels so it won't leak even on it's side and won't get a dry hit. I can see cutting the top off and modifying the chimney part to your liking as well.

M5amhan

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
something about using that k4 chimney gives me the best vape ive had. i got that orchid chimney coming just to see if its just my imagination or actually something going on

speaking of that chimney

Capture.PNG

damn you customs!!!

TheWestPole

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
can access the coils and wick without emptying the tank. tool less fill. I vaped it and found the resistance wasn't to my liking so tomorrow, I'm going to rebuild it without emptying the tank. oh I can put cotton tails in the juice channels so it won't leak even on it's side and won't get a dry hit. I can see cutting the top off and modifying the chimney part to your liking as well.

Hmmm. Question now is am I too cheap to buy a K4 just to try the chamber? :rolleyes:

Last edited:

TheWestPole

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
just the regular v4.. the v3 i have sucks i think bc of the extra room they put in it for "more vapor"

I'm not following, but that's okay. All Orchid chambers are basically the same size: 15.5mm OD x 16.5mm length, except for the two-part which is ~1mm longer. Are you you saying you'll get a V4 and shorten the chamber? If so, good idea IMO.

M5amhan

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I'm not following, but that's okay. All Orchid chambers are basically the same size: 15.5mm OD x 16.5mm length, except for the two-part which is ~1mm longer. Are you you saying you'll get a V4 and shorten the chamber? If so, good idea IMO.
i could be mistaken but i thought the only difference in v2 and v3 orchids was they shortened the chimney stem and raised the height of the actual chamber? and the difference in v2 v4 chimneys is just the height of the stem? plz correct if im wrong https://www.fasttech.com/products/3028/10009514/1905903 < thats what FT sent me a while back

either way i need the v4 chimney but if you are right ill end up shaving it down like you said

TheWestPole

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
i could be mistaken but i thought the only difference in v2 and v3 orchids was they shortened the chimney stem and raised the height of the actual chamber? and the difference in v2 v4 chimneys is just the height of the stem? plz correct if im wrong https://www.fasttech.com/products/3028/10009514/1905903 < thats what FT sent me a while back

either way i need the v4 chimney but if you are right ill end up shaving it down like you said

I don't have that exact model, but as far as I know the chambers are all the same. The chimneys on V1-2 were ~4mm longer. They were shortened when the shorter ribbed V3 top cap was introduced.

I think you were trying to get more capacity out of your small tank, rather than going to a longer tank. Shortening a V4 chamber is a good way to go for that. If you keep your builds low, under the top of the post screws, you can shorten it quite a bit. Just measure carefully. ;)

TheWestPole

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'm not using this set-up, but I'm interested. After reading Eric's post on the FT decision, I think more KF parts are needed.

I'm on the fence. Don't particularly want to add the length and weight. o_O

Eric DeCastro

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
yeah it does add to the length which defeats the purpose of 18350 mode but not horribly long.

on a side note, I don't use the brass mod at all. it's just a polished show piece. I have another one in SS which I'm still polishing and I'm afraid that that one won't get any use either.

VU Sponsors