Become a Patron!

Post a Picture Any Picture (that you took)

Smigo

Gold Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Bush is starting to come alive with colour now as springs on the doorstep.
Taken on our 2 hour exercise time walking across the road from our place.
20210824_150358_HDR_(1).jpg
20210824_143708_HDR_(1).jpg
20210824_143636_(1).jpg
20210824_143808_(1).jpg
20210824_143859_(1).jpg

The pollen and nectar insects are showing up in our garden too.
BEE.jpg
2STRIPER.jpg
1STRIPER.jpg
BLUE.jpg

Last edited:

~Don~

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
6fe37c9874f02635f62e1fc49c4b6c57.jpg

First time in 5 years really need to clay and polish it one day, and get it ceramic coated.

Old girl doesn’t get a ton of miles put on her (‘08 535i)

When we moved to San Diego 6 years ago, it had 73k miles

Just sits on trickle mostly minus weekly warm up and short drive.

5 oil changes and only 3500 miles

Sent from my iPhone 12 Pro Max using Tapatalk

Lady Sarah

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Last week, I got an old armoir that was scratched up real bad, and nearly falling apart. I decided to turn it into my new kitchen hutch. It was easy to turn the beveled mirror into window glass for it. Screwing the joints together took a while. I had no idea the armoir was put together so shoddy.

Polish_20210924_194306735.jpg

You can see the different colors of the wood shelves I had put in. It's OK. I painted them too.

Lady Sarah

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I was just sitting in my recliner when I noticed a rainbow of sorts on my ceiling, caused by sunlight refracting off water on the sidewalk. The dream catcher chime silhouette is of a dream catcher chime I made that hangs in the window.

20211002_171531.jpg

The speckled appearance is caused by a light breeze blowing on the water that sits on the sidewalk with no place to go after all the rain we got from the past 3 days and nights.

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
9334bf97532d23e246e92ddecba8bb5a.jpg

So tiny...almost stepped on it.

! WAKE UP ! from the MEDIA SPELL !

Hubbs and I saw a frog at Umstead Park in Raleigh once that was smaller than my thumbnail. I looked down and it looked like a pebble moved, and he said, that's a frog! I had to get down on my knees to look at it closer. It was the tiniest little thing.

Love your pic. That is so cool. I like frogs as long as they don't get in the house. My sis used to call them "hoppy toads" when she was little and we were living in Central Florida. When it rained outside, which was damn near every day, if you opened the front door they would scoot inside and then disappear. At night when we were trying to sleep, then they'd start croaking. I can't tell you how many hoppy toads my mother had to fish out of the bottoms of closets, from under the couch, behind the piano, anywhere they could get where they felt secluded.

Bliss Doubt

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Last week, I got an old armoir that was scratched up real bad, and nearly falling apart. I decided to turn it into my new kitchen hutch. It was easy to turn the beveled mirror into window glass for it. Screwing the joints together took a while. I had no idea the armoir was put together so shoddy.

View attachment 186548

You can see the different colors of the wood shelves I had put in. It's OK. I painted them too.
Nice job.

gadget!

"The Trader"
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU SWAT
VU Patreon

View attachment 186548

That really did come out nice.

Here's a re-purpose idea that I thought would be cool.
f09979967aea052cfb82d349edd7e652.jpg

Sent from a Galaxy far far away

Smigo

Gold Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Out bush and got some more nice wildflower pictures. Some are minute but look awesome.
First the purple one and then the mauve one.
Both the same size. But you'll see what I mean by minute with the mauve one. Thats the tip of my index finger.
BLUE.jpg
MAUVE.jpg
These were blanketing the area. Bigger than the last two, size of I guess a thumb nail.
MIX.jpg
These grow in clumps of flowers with the plant itself just 10 inches or so high. Many of our bush wildflowers are pretty small but stunning. The ground is on the goldfields and highly mineralised, so anything growing does it tough as the ground is very hard and compact and just an inch or so deep after rain bone dry. They may at times not flower for a season or two depending on conditions.
PINKS.jpg
PINKS2.jpg
These also only flower or show up when conditions are right, first time in years id seen them in this spot.
YELLOWS.jpg
A close up.
YELLOWS2.jpg
This is a Honey Myrtle. This bush is about 8 foot high. They can take years to grow to this size. The smaller ones you will see but not flower until they grow to over a few feet high, even then they dont flower profusely. Its the older ones like this that put on the show.
HONEY MYRTLE.jpgHONEY2.jpg
HONEY3.jpg

Bliss Doubt

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Out bush and got some more nice wildflower pictures. Some are minute but look awesome.
First the purple one and then the mauve one.
Both the same size. But you'll see what I mean by minute with the mauve one. Thats the tip of my index finger.
View attachment 187168
View attachment 187169
These were blanketing the area. Bigger than the last two, size of I guess a thumb nail.
View attachment 187170
These grow in clumps of flowers with the plant itself just 10 inches or so high. Many of our bush wildflowers are pretty small but stunning. The ground is on the goldfields and highly mineralised, so anything growing does it tough as the ground is very hard and compact and just an inch or so deep after rain bone dry. They may at times not flower for a season or two depending on conditions.
View attachment 187171
View attachment 187172
These also only flower or show up when conditions are right, first time in years id seen them in this spot.
View attachment 187173
A close up.
View attachment 187177
This is a Honey Myrtle. This bush is about 8 foot high. They can take years to grow to this size. The smaller ones you will see but not flower until they grow to over a few feet high, even then they dont flower profusely. Its the older ones like this that put on the show.
View attachment 187174View attachment 187175
View attachment 187176
You're back!!!

:D:bliss::hug::bingo::confetti::stars2:

I was so worried.

Beautiful pics.

Smigo

Gold Contributor
Member For 2 Years
You're back!!!

:D:bliss::hug::bingo::confetti::stars2:

I was so worried.

Beautiful pics.
Thanks, much appreciated.
Was out today again. Was great and at another place id not been to for easy 12 months since lockdowns. Was fantastic to go there. Saw some great things to take pictures of as I detected, but alas the weather changed dramatically after a few hours, stated to feel it in my breathing, I get athsma, on the range near by which was crystal clear when I got there it was very hazy then. I had heard that a thunder storm athsma warning was on the radar so packed up and headed for home. Very humid and ominous clouds above. Driving home I saw rain falling over where I was headed to home. But didn't drive through any. It was evaporating before hitting ground. One of those weird weather events coming our way. Think I timed it well. Looking from home now I can't see the mount that I was right near then. Usually can see it easy. Great day though there. 👍

Smigo

Gold Contributor
Member For 2 Years
@Lady Sarah
You like lizards.
Saw this one when out today. Going by the size of its stomach id guess a female ready to give birth. These dont lay eggs, they give birth to live young.
A very docile lizard that will just sit there looking at you. This was about a foot long.
Shingle Back or commonly called a Stumpy Tail.
You can feed them too. There used to be a couple at my parents place that they'd feed peaches to. They love peaches.
IMG_20211101_151154_381~2.jpg
IMG_20211101_151314_795~2.jpg

DogMan

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
@Lady Sarah
You like lizards.
Saw this one when out today. Going by the size of its stomach id guess a female ready to give birth. These dont lay eggs, they give birth to live young.
A very docile lizard that will just sit there looking at you. This was about a foot long.
You can feed them too. There used to be a couple at my parents place that they'd feed peaches to. They love peaches.
View attachment 187495
View attachment 187496
I think that they are skinks. Which probably matters to Sarah

They also like ham

Lady Sarah

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
@Lady Sarah
You like lizards.
View attachment 187495
View attachment 187496
That looks kinda cute.

Our beardie is another matter altogether. When I feed her, our Yorkie gets jealous, so I pick him up where he can watch her eat. Then, the Yorkie starts shaking nervously and looks away. I haven't seen anything scare him as much as that beardie does.

Smigo

Gold Contributor
Member For 2 Years
@dubya314
My misses has some plants in pots that utterly stooge me. The other day inside I was sneezing and blamed some flowers in a vase I hadn't seen before. She laughed and said take a closer look. Id did, it wasn't until I grabbed a stem and bent it that I could honestly tell they were fake.
The worst though was detecting. Someone had made and planted a fake nugget I found. Would have been worth thousands if real. I quickly put it in the car and kept looking for more. Wasn't till at home I saw some of the gold paint missing from an edge of it. :confused:

dubya314

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
@dubya314
My misses has some plants in pots that utterly stooge me. The other day inside I was sneezing and blamed some flowers in a vase I hadn't seen before. She laughed and said take a closer look. Id did, it wasn't until I grabbed a stem and bent it that I could honestly tell they were fake.
The worst though was detecting. Someone had made and planted a fake nugget I found. Would have been worth thousands if real. I quickly put it in the car and kept looking for more. Wasn't till at home I saw some of the gold paint missing from an edge of it. :confused:
Now that's just downright wrong :xD:

Smigo

Gold Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Now that's just downright wrong :xD:
What's more wrong is about 20yrs ago I was told about some guys who were doing it that were working an area I knew well. They were detecting around a specific reef line. I thought "ill get you mongrels".
So I went there and got a lump of lead and hammered it into a crack in a large bit of quartz. It would have given a huge signal.
Several yrs later I forgot about it and went detecting there. Got a signal, thought "yes!"
But I had nothing to break it open with so put it into my pack.
Later smashed it open then the penny dropped when I saw the lead. :facepalm:
I never did it again.
:giggle:

Smigo

Gold Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Hey, gross out time.
I thought I'd show you guys what our infamous Bulldog Ants can do.
They are recorded even in the Guiness Book of Records as the Worlds most dangerous and Toxic ant. And most Toxic insect. They grow up to 5 cm in length. They say 3 to 4 but I've seen bigger so say 5cm to 6cm on rare occasions. They are not just aggressive, they are insane. When they see you they look up at you and come at you. They are so aggressive that I have even had them drop from tree's onto me to attack me when Iv been detecting near their nests. (They were feeding in the trees on gumtree flower nectar, the nest was in the ground beneath) Drop bears are a joke, Drop Ants are real.
They range from the colour of the one shown in the below picture to brown, rusty and black to full black. The huge ones that I spoke of have all been fully black and I once got stung by one and couldn't walk for a week.
They grab a hold with those evil mandibles then sting you with the stinger in their abdomen injecting venom.
I was stung on Monday when out, after about an hour I felt nauseous for roughly an hour, later that night my heart was racing a bit, yesterday the day after the toxin had kicked in to the surrounding tissue. You feel like getting a cheese grater to scratch it with. But to touch it hurts, and after sitting then the first few steps it throbs with pain.
Truly an insect to be very wary of and avoid.
This is the type that stung me.
__data.jpg
This is the result from 1 Bulldog ant.
IMG_20211103_100032_648~4.jpg

VapeOn1960

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Stayed up all night at Glacier Point Yosemite Nat Park for the meteors on a clear August night. First saw Half Dome by moonlight, then the moon set and later saw lots of meteors... around 3:00 AM saw my first Aurora (northern lights) Never did get a pic of a meteor but got these:

1636089685125.jpeg

1636089730632.jpeg

Bliss Doubt

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Stayed up all night at Glacier Point Yosemite Nat Park for the meteors on a clear August night. First saw Half Dome by moonlight, then the moon set and later saw lots of meteors... around 3:00 AM saw my first Aurora (northern lights) Never did get a pic of a meteor but got these:

View attachment 187610

View attachment 187611
The first one brings to mind a Van Gogh painting.

Smigo

Gold Contributor
Member For 2 Years

View attachment 187610

View attachment 187611
Seeing those radiation curtains are awesome. I lived on our OZ surf coast yrs ago.
I was mesmerised when I first saw the Southern Lights! Green and Pinkish curtains hanging down from the sky. Was on the Barwon Heads bluff, high ground looking out at the ocean at the time doing a security night job. Never forget. I was dumbstruck and frozen in awe.
👍👍👍

VapeOn1960

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
This is another special pic from Glacier Point area (Yosemite Nat Park) it was such a special dark sky night (you could actually see without a flashlight, no moonlight, if your eyes adjusted to the darkness, you could see just from the light from the stars (the milkyway galaxy) we even closed our eyes while lighting a cig (I know... wish I vaped back then) We did three years in a row every August at Glacier Point... nothing but coffee, hot chocolate and Malibu rum:
1636424753608.jpeg
That's half dome in the background.

VapeOn1960

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
@DogMan , I miss the ocean so much (and I live in CA... long story... lived in the mountains for 12 years... loved that but too far from the coast) Nice pics.

~Don~

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
67d0d256ecd006f24434e08780422298.dng

0400 walk with my 13yo Golden.

Not sure what those dots are, but three of them are symmetrical

No idea what the 6 horizontal ones or the 9 are overall lint maybe on the lens from taking my phone out of my pocket

Sent from my iPhone 12 Pro Max using Tapatalk

~Don~

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
6ef3afddaa6524c39bb22aefe35a5140.png

South San Diego (literally 1.5m from border) looking at San Diego bay and Point Loma.

Uncharacteristically warm weather the past few days, hazing the skies, allergies etc.

Today was 86* and in some places in the county near 97*

Wednesday back to our regularly scheduled high 60’s til early February and 95* for a week then 70’s til 4th of July.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VU Sponsors