Become a Patron!

Post a Picture Any Picture (that you took)

Synphul

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Pic of a sunrise the other morning. Not sure what it is about photos or maybe digital photos that shift the intensity so much. I think there's a sensor or something that intervenes. I noticed as the camera panned across the sky trying to get a good view of it that the colors and brightness, intensity were almost lifelike in the screen, but just while the camera was moving. Soon as I stopped to snap the pic everything dimmed down. It really doesn't do it justice, as soon as I opened the door and looked out I initially thought it was a fire on the hillside. Everything was an intense orange.

1638263960171.png

VapeOn1960

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Pic of a sunrise the other morning.
Wow... that is still an amazing photo! Software and auto camera stuff does strange things (but often in good ways) I learned on a totally manual camera (forced me to learn so many things) Anyway... what a wonderful way to start the day. Where was it?

Smigo

Gold Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Not a picture but pictures.
Strange day here. Was thunderstorm warnings, hot temps and strong winds.
But lived where we are long enough to know those winds were not going to happen seeing the early conditions.
So we went fishing.
Was perfect fishing in my opinion. Coming change from a High pressure to a low.
Got there, was 33c. But nice cloud cover. Wind was supposed to be 35kph, was just 10 easy.
Saw fish rising everywhere. 20 minutes in and a screamer hit and run on my ultra light setup using soft plastics.
Few minutes in it tangled me in weeds, oh no, waited for easy 2 to 3 minutes, then bang it got itself out and screamed the line again. Couple of minutes later and a few more good runs, landed a beautiful Redfin. 3 1/2 lb. During the tussle we heard some serious thunder! Not a fan of that when holding a graphite composite fishing rod (lightening conductor). Bangs got closer so we left 5 minutes later. Good move as the storms rolled in with heavy lightening and thunder. Not a lot of rain but some decent hail stones when we were home. Glad we were not driving in it as they were hitting pretty hard.
Great day though. 👍
Even now we are hearing some huge bangs. Doing the thunderstorms countdown and are maybe 10 ks away. But still big bangs and flashes.
Today's Pics..
IMG_20211201_133239_726~2.jpg
Perfect. Worked on my reel here over 2 days. Sanding the rocker arm area, drag, and repositioning by bends the bail arm to get smoooth.... everything. Got it right, perfect.
IMG_20211201_140409_529~2.jpg
These this size are amazing eating. Not native to Oz, came from the UK many many yrs ago.
But a great sport fish this size and an awesome table fish. Guess why we call them Redfin!
Home and hail. Im gonna say twice pea size. Glad we left and were home.
This is on our neighbours roof, wasn't game to go out further.
IMG_20211201_154207_232.jpg
This is at 33 c and hours later
IMG_20211201_153428_591~2.jpg
Still falling the same now 3 hrs later.

Synphul

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Wow... that is still an amazing photo! Software and auto camera stuff does strange things (but often in good ways) I learned on a totally manual camera (forced me to learn so many things) Anyway... what a wonderful way to start the day. Where was it?
Off my porch, looking out the door in southeastern Mo. And yea I kind of miss the older cameras. Never had a fancy one, had one of the pentax 35mm like everyone and their brother had. My mom had one like that with nicer lenses she used for shooting sporting events and stuff. Buddy of mine had some extremely nice lenses, massive probably 18-24" long and 5-6" diameter lens telephoto he used for snapping pics at the race track (auto/dirt races). Of course with digital there's no waiting to develop, finding out half the roll is bum shots or worrying about accidental light exposure.

I noticed the oddity of digital lenses while trying to take photos on vacation at a tech museum. Pieces behind plexi were a bear with the light reflection. And noticed they handle angles really weird. Like as you tilt the camera (talking ph or tablet) things remain clear but become really distorted. Rectangular placards shift and turn into trapezoid shapes with odd perspective almost like a fishbowl.

My mom had a number of filters for hers too, would do cool things to the sky/clouds and stuff. With various colors and effects like photoshop filters before photoshop was a thing. lol. I'll tell ya what I don't miss. Events like Christmas morning as a kid and waking up to parents all juiced up on coffee with the 8mm ready to go and the big light bar throwing so much light you could feel the heat radiating off your face.

Smigo

Gold Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Off my porch, looking out the door in southeastern Mo. And yea I kind of miss the older cameras. Never had a fancy one, had one of the pentax 35mm like everyone and their brother had. My mom had one like that with nicer lenses she used for shooting sporting events and stuff. Buddy of mine had some extremely nice lenses, massive probably 18-24" long and 5-6" diameter lens telephoto he used for snapping pics at the race track (auto/dirt races). Of course with digital there's no waiting to develop, finding out half the roll is bum shots or worrying about accidental light exposure.

I noticed the oddity of digital lenses while trying to take photos on vacation at a tech museum. Pieces behind plexi were a bear with the light reflection. And noticed they handle angles really weird. Like as you tilt the camera (talking ph or tablet) things remain clear but become really distorted. Rectangular placards shift and turn into trapezoid shapes with odd perspective almost like a fishbowl.

My mom had a number of filters for hers too, would do cool things to the sky/clouds and stuff. With various colors and effects like photoshop filters before photoshop was a thing. lol. I'll tell ya what I don't miss. Events like Christmas morning as a kid and waking up to parents all juiced up on coffee with the 8mm ready to go and the big light bar throwing so much light you could feel the heat radiating off your face.
Yeah, its very different isn't it. I still have my old Nikon F80 with a 300m zoom lens and a number of filters, about 10. Polarised, close ups etc. I used to write and take pictures for a magazine. No biggy or brag, I fell into it really.
No, I was nothing great or anything near great photo wise. But I loved doing it. Numerous were used, my pics, for cover shots with the Magazine. Was just before and into the very start of digital. I was done though writing by the time digital took over. I just use my cheapo phone and a Sony Cybercrap now :giggle: oops... old Cybershot.
Still love taking pictures for fun though.
I do like with digital being able to see straight up a failure or goody. Id like better than I have now but cant be bothered, not that I say anyone shouldn't, just me, im done bothering.
As long as now its ok then im ok with a happy snap. But don't get me wrong, I absolutely love still seeing well done photos. Even though "photos" is a long gone term.
I used to really take my time with light conditions and angles etc with film trying to get a good picture for the Mag. Today anyone can do with an iPhone what took me and others hours to wait for or set up.
Much of the old skill, again, I wasn't great but I got the skill needed at least in my mind and appreciated what I saw from better, way better than I was, is now a thing of the past.
So yeah, it's way different now mate. I know where you are coming from.
My old gear......well....way retired....but here they are. Just cupboard sitters now.
IMG_20211201_215458_411~3.jpg

VapeOn1960

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Actually, the manual camera I used was a Pentax K1000 (classic) I even replaced the foam seals. I had a cable "shutter lock" for long exposures (very proud of my night stuff... had a natural skill for guessing how long to do them) I was a very serious photographer (not a pro but could have been) My mistake was not sending my film to a pro lab to be processed (some really good photos got messed up by the stupid people at the local drug store) Some of my really good slide film I did send to a pro lab and what a difference. Yes, it's so nice to see instant feedback with digital. I would "bracket" exposure times so out of three, one would be spot on. We would go hiking in the mountains and and everyone would ask my wife "where's Jay?" She would say "oh he's still taking a picture... might take 20 minutes" (I had to get just the right composition, light and wait for the wind to calm down) Like I said, even though I wasn't a pro, I should have been.
I have more pics... just trying to post one a day (seems to be working... getting others to post on this thread)

VapeOn1960

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Years ago, I was very active on a forum... I think it was called photo net. Do any of you remember that?
I can't recall what my user name was...

Synphul

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I guess we take for granted how far things have come. The clarity in general of smartphone pics, autolevel adjustments made giving us better images straight off. Never got deep into it like dark room and home developing or anything. Definitely less crap to lug around now just slipping a phone into a pocket and the ability to take hundreds or thousands of pics. Not limited to 24-36 per roll. Back then fast processing was '1hr photo' booths. lol. Not to mention the price of film which added up on top of processing fees. Not having to walk around looking like a news anchor.

I'm kind of a dinosaur when it comes to digital, trying to keep the damn phone still and press the screen. Still takes me 10-20min to get a pic. lol. My ex gf on the other hand was fond of selfies and had it down to an art. Instead of using the rear facing camera so she could see the screen she'd use the better front facing lens. Pulled some sort of jedi yoda trick where she could hold the camera out blind and still get herself or anyone else centered in the shot without seeing the screen. I find it awkward just trying to hold something small/flat, there's nowhere to grip it. I guess another perk to digital is lack of noise. No more loud 'snap' and then the whine of the auto advance or whistle of the flash cubes to spook stuff off in nature. You had one chance to get the shot before spooking something.

Smigo

Gold Contributor
Member For 2 Years
I guess we take for granted how far things have come. The clarity in general of smartphone pics, autolevel adjustments made giving us better images straight off. Never got deep into it like dark room and home developing or anything. Definitely less crap to lug around now just slipping a phone into a pocket and the ability to take hundreds or thousands of pics. Not limited to 24-36 per roll. Back then fast processing was '1hr photo' booths. lol. Not to mention the price of film which added up on top of processing fees. Not having to walk around looking like a news anchor.

I'm kind of a dinosaur when it comes to digital, trying to keep the damn phone still and press the screen. Still takes me 10-20min to get a pic. lol. My ex gf on the other hand was fond of selfies and had it down to an art. Instead of using the rear facing camera so she could see the screen she'd use the better front facing lens. Pulled some sort of jedi yoda trick where she could hold the camera out blind and still get herself or anyone else centered in the shot without seeing the screen. I find it awkward just trying to hold something small/flat, there's nowhere to grip it. I guess another perk to digital is lack of noise. No more loud 'snap' and then the whine of the auto advance or whistle of the flash cubes to spook stuff off in nature. You had one chance to get the shot before spooking something.
Now there's some memories, flashes in a packet.
Yeah, buying film, waiting for the pictures not knowing how many would be good. That I dont miss at all.
As a teen I got a Polaroid instant camera. Big bulky clumsy thing but it was pretty amazing at the time. Picture quality was pretty low grade as the focus was never quite right. You'd take the picture, carefully pull out the card thing, put it between a metal plate sandwich and then place that between your arm and torso waiting for I think it was 60 seconds or so for it to process! Cutting edge stuff :D
I later upgraded to a 110 pocket slide camera, you could press a button and it would slide in to half its legth. I felt like 007 with a spy camera :giggle:

Lady Sarah

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Now there's some memories, flashes in a packet.
Yeah, buying film, waiting for the pictures not knowing how many would be good. That I dont miss at all.
As a teen I got a Polaroid instant camera. Big bulky clumsy thing but it was pretty amazing at the time. Picture quality was pretty low grade as the focus was never quite right. You'd take the picture, carefully pull out the card thing, put it between a metal plate sandwich and then place that between your arm and torso waiting for I think it was 60 seconds or so for it to process! Cutting edge stuff :D
I later upgraded to a 110 pocket slide camera, you could press a button and it would slide in to half its legth. I felt like 007 with a spy camera :giggle:
I remember taking pictures of my fiance at the time (now he is my ex) and then having to take the film in to get developed. I never got those photos back. Suddenly, Al Gore's head was on his body posted all over the place. Whoever did it did not even bother to edit out the necklace he wore when I snapped the photos.

It could have been worse. They could have put Bill Clinton's head on him.

Smigo

Gold Contributor
Member For 2 Years
I remember taking pictures of my fiance at the time (now he is my ex) and then having to take the film in to get developed. I never got those photos back. Suddenly, Al Gore's head was on his body posted all over the place. Whoever did it did not even bother to edit out the necklace he wore when I snapped the photos.

It could have been worse. They could have put Bill Clinton's head on him.
How bizarre. Someone stole the photos at the lab then used them with Al Gores head in place of your ex's!?
Thats a classic :giggle:

Lady Sarah

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
After much hard work, hubby and I have completed the main section of my mother's old bedroom. We still have the add-on which includes the bathroom to renovate.

20211202_183155.jpg

The wall behind the bed was striped to the studs. New double paned windows have been installed. New insulation where there was none, and you are looking at 3/8" thick ply paneling that I stained and clear coated.
The pony wall next to the gun safe was just an idea that popped into my head, since I put in a 4x4 post to help support the original roof edge where the wall had been removed and left unsupported.

Yes, we certainly left the hardest part for last in fixing up the house.

Smigo

Gold Contributor
Member For 2 Years
After much hard work, hubby and I have completed the main section of my mother's old bedroom. We still have the add-on which includes the bathroom to renovate.

View attachment 188310

The wall behind the bed was striped to the studs. New double paned windows have been installed. New insulation where there was none, and you are looking at 3/8" thick ply paneling that I stained and clear coated.
The pony wall next to the gun safe was just an idea that popped into my head, since I put in a 4x4 post to help support the original roof edge where the wall had been removed and left unsupported.

Yes, we certainly left the hardest part for last in fixing up the house.
Well done. 👍

Smigo

Gold Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Nice day here today. Went to another favourite lake. No fish but was a beautiful day.
IMG_20211203_152315_188.jpg
IMG_20211203_140841_334~2.jpg
IMG_20211203_144548_070~2.jpg
Chinaberry trees were in flower. They smell amazing, and dont give me any allergies either.
IMG_20211203_151001_197~3.jpg
IMG_20211203_153152_668~2.jpg
Gumnut flowers. Look great but dont park under them. The resin from the nectar is like glue on your paintwork and can ruin it. They stupidly planted some of them all along the front of an old folks village near us. Was so many complaints the dug them all out.
IMG_20211203_143130_507~2.jpg
Lot of nice old pines where we went. Love the smell and the sound of the wind going through them.
IMG_20211203_143445_780~2.jpg
IMG_20211203_143637_950.jpg

Just Frank

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I took this a few weeks ago when we first got snow.
h3ucwKI.jpg

It's an "Iced out" Saga 😁.

Smigo

Gold Contributor
Member For 2 Years
A large kangaroo camp. Minus the roos. Left before I got to it.
They're pretty clever. You can see each bare spot is where each one lays. They lay in a line sort of on the hillside and typically the head biggest male is up top looking down on them. That way he sees them all and sees what's coming from a distance. Him being up top if anything comes over the hill, they deal with him first. Is a big mob, I counted 35 laying spots.
This is looking uphill.
roo3.jpg
roo2.jpg
The boss's spot.
roo1.jpg

2WhiteWolves

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Use to do masonry work. A few jobs we did.
7513e766b56de650e0d734acca06f7c2.jpg

Behind the flue it curves, so it is free standing, no wall ties. But, on both sides of the flue it does have wall ties.
ee4a5564198e36a40b1a95c3ccb90c3a.jpg

0cf0e3bc039f3a235a4e4939fe472d93.jpg

Fake stone was the easiest to do. This fireplace is the one I like the most for being fake stone.
b3c4b4cb232b5530cbc6f895e2b02d75.jpg

Grand prize in the Parade of Homes
5e096cfa715ab2fbb228f4a8faf2055b.jpg

First runner up
52f8a450b15b01812fc21550235a6b1f.jpg

It was really hot during this job. We would start working as the sun was coming up. One on each side of the drive way.
7323c68c9512cbfcf835f444d34c3b9d.jpg

681b6df1a6227c7a4e9c3803d289ae96.jpg

This one is of me and Emma taking a break :)
077579ec9bb5157eccb9b0855c8c8639.jpg

Really miss doing masonry work.

! WAKE UP ! from the MEDIA SPELL !

Smigo

Gold Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Use to do masonry work. A few jobs we did.
7513e766b56de650e0d734acca06f7c2.jpg

Behind the flue it curves, so it is free standing, no wall ties. But, on both sides of the flue it does have wall ties.
ee4a5564198e36a40b1a95c3ccb90c3a.jpg

0cf0e3bc039f3a235a4e4939fe472d93.jpg

Fake stone was the easiest to do. This fireplace is the one I like the most for being fake stone.
b3c4b4cb232b5530cbc6f895e2b02d75.jpg

Grand prize in the Parade of Homes
5e096cfa715ab2fbb228f4a8faf2055b.jpg

First runner up
52f8a450b15b01812fc21550235a6b1f.jpg

It was really hot during this job. We would start working as the sun was coming up. One on each side of the drive way.
7323c68c9512cbfcf835f444d34c3b9d.jpg

681b6df1a6227c7a4e9c3803d289ae96.jpg

This one is of me and Emma taking a break :)
077579ec9bb5157eccb9b0855c8c8639.jpg

Really miss doing masonry work.

! WAKE UP ! from the MEDIA SPELL !
That's some serious skills your showing there MrsWolves!

VapeOn1960

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I used to walk around at night (was experimenting with long exposure night stuff) This was the local Amtrak... just a few blocks from my house (the fog made for some cool pics) I actually got harassed by the cops later... taking similar pics by the county building (right across the street from the cop shop) LOL
Anyway, I really like this one:
1639357399191.jpeg

VapeOn1960

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I found this out of curiosity from your question. It's an interesting read. https://www.rediscoveringthegoldenstate.com/geologic-history-in-sierra-nevada-gold-country/
I am so into geology... thank you for that (will read it later) and I grew up with all this (even got to go on college field trip with my mother as a kid and dig up fossils) CA gold country is such a big part of my life... I could write an entire page about that (but this is about pictures) Anyway, I bookmarked that.

VapeOn1960

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
This guy!

The neighborhood crow killer
emoji1787.png

Viewed a few crow carcasses torn to bits around this part of the Condos I live at and I believe this is the culprit.
Good pic. That looks a lot like the hawks we have here (marsh hawks?) Just out of the city in the foothills we have lots of red tail hawks. Love them (and falcons, eagles, ect) We have a big tree out back and I sit on the porch and see feathers dropping everywhere... a hawk devouring a dove (might sound sad but it's just nature... predator birds need to eat too)

~Don~

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Good pic. That looks a lot like the hawks we have here (marsh hawks?) Just out of the city in the foothills we have lots of red tail hawks. Love them (and falcons, eagles, ect) We have a big tree out back and I sit on the porch and see feathers dropping everywhere... a hawk devouring a dove (might sound sad but it's just nature... predator birds need to eat too)

Yeah not sure of the hawk breed… red shoulder or what not maybe?

I took it at max zoom from about 120ft away, then it flew into a tree another 60ft

0d52e3b58a7019c78c21223dfe19beb5.dng

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Smigo

Gold Contributor
Member For 2 Years
I found this out of curiosity from your question. It's an interesting read. https://www.rediscoveringthegoldenstate.com/geologic-history-in-sierra-nevada-gold-country/
Missed this post.
Great stuff, some amazing photos in that. Thanks.
Read there in it about the Table Top. I came across something like that once when prospecting on one of our ranges. On the very top of the mountain was a dead flat area with an elevated river wash deposit. I looked at it thinking how interesting to prospect it that will be.
The side I drove up though was real hairy, dirt and rock, and I didn't like it at all so im thinking the other side, way up and down will be better and kept exploring. The track on the other side of the mountain looked ok so I committed to it. Third of the way down it deteriorated bad, no turning back, no reversing and no stopping. Put the brakes on and the car kept sliding.
My misses was frozen in fear and for the first time in her life never said a word through the whole decent. It was terrifying snaking the way down, sheer drops of hundreds of meters just feet away from the track edge. (See there what I mean about our confusion with metric and imperial! :giggle: )
At the bottom, phew, the brakes were cooked, you could smell them, had to feather them all the way. Too slow you kept sliding, too fast you'd lose control.
Broke an engine mount too. Never been back there and have no intention of ever doing so. I don't care whats in that gravel on the table top.

Mowed yesterday, hate mowing. We have a number of big skinks in the rock wall, 6 to 8 inches long max!? One seems to have got used to me and lets me get pretty close. After id mowed and stood there it came out and grabbed some bug right in front of me.
Let me take some photos, just on my cheapo phone.
That's just as it was swallowing whatever it had got.
IMG_20211216_122221_798~3.jpg
Doing some sunbaking as I cleaned the mower.
IMG_20211216_123417_135~4.jpg
IMG_20211216_123442_322~2.jpg
And a ladybird on the nectarine tree. For yrs they were scarce here. This year im seeing them everywhere.
IMG_20211213_175350_073~3.jpg

hawkwind5usa

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Missed this post.
Great stuff, some amazing photos in that. Thanks.
Read there in it about the Table Top. I came across something like that once when prospecting on one of our ranges. On the very top of the mountain was a dead flat area with an elevated river wash deposit. I looked at it thinking how interesting to prospect it that will be.
The side I drove up though was real hairy, dirt and rock, and I didn't like it at all so im thinking the other side, way up and down will be better and kept exploring. The track on the other side of the mountain looked ok so I committed to it. Third of the way down it deteriorated bad, no turning back, no reversing and no stopping. Put the brakes on and the car kept sliding.
My misses was frozen in fear and for the first time in her life never said a word through the whole decent. It was terrifying snaking the way down, sheer drops of hundreds of meters just feet away from the track edge. (See there what I mean about our confusion with metric and imperial! :giggle: )
At the bottom, phew, the brakes were cooked, you could smell them, had to feather them all the way. Too slow you kept sliding, too fast you'd lose control.
Broke an engine mount too. Never been back there and have no intention of ever doing so. I don't care whats in that gravel on the table top.

Mowed yesterday, hate mowing. We have a number of big skinks in the rock wall, 6 to 8 inches long max!? One seems to have got used to me and lets me get pretty close. After id mowed and stood there it came out and grabbed some bug right in front of me.
Let me take some photos, just on my cheapo phone.
That's just as it was swallowing whatever it had got.
View attachment 188785
Doing some sunbaking as I cleaned the mower.
View attachment 188786
View attachment 188787
And a ladybird on the nectarine tree. For yrs they were scarce here. This year im seeing them everywhere.
View attachment 188788
Boy if I grew up there as a kid there would be no skinks for miles. I'd catch them all for pets.

VU Sponsors