Become a Patron!

Post a Picture Any Picture (that you took)

Smigo

Gold Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Me too... and salamanders (I have a good photo of one I'll try to post soon)
We dont have those where I am. I loved a doco on them I saw a while ago, they showed them from various places in the world. One, can't recall where it was from, on a fishing show called River Monsters which I used to really like watching. I think it was, I could be wrong with the one I saw, Japan where there is a legend of them. He debunked it but was great to watch regardless.
Amazing creatures! Yep, post the picture I love that type of thing. 👍

Lady Sarah

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Growing up, we had frogs around, and the little black salanders with yellow spots. Here, we have geckos all around. They are normally quite elusive, tho I'll sometime find hatchling stuck in the sink that I'll catch and release. The biggest gecko I've seen was about 9 inches long, and that was when tearing out a section of wall to replace windows, insulate, and put up new wall.

The beardie we have came from a pet store. She was brought back before we got her, so she was already an 11" juvenile. Whoever had her before treated her badly. She barely trusts me, and I'm the one that feeds her. She is a full grown brat now.

20211215_191401.jpg

Smigo

Gold Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Growing up, we had frogs around, and the little black salanders with yellow spots. Here, we have geckos all around. They are normally quite elusive, tho I'll sometime find hatchling stuck in the sink that I'll catch and release. The biggest gecko I've seen was about 9 inches long, and that was when tearing out a section of wall to replace windows, insulate, and put up new wall.

The beardie we have came from a pet store. She was brought back before we got her, so she was already an 11" juvenile. Whoever had her before treated her badly. She barely trusts me, and I'm the one that feeds her. She is a full grown brat now.

View attachment 188797
We have gecko's here in Vic. They are small, around 5 to 8 cm max. When we were in Queensland we had bigger, but they were not native, they were Asian variety. But we liked them as they ate everything bug wise, no need for sprays :)
Ours here further south, the asian ones cant live, so ours are Aussie native ones. Biggest iv seen 5 to 7 cm. Very different in appearance. But they still hunt bugs. The major dif is the Asian ones dont care, they come into the house and hunt right in front of you. Our native ones are shy. Never seen one inside ever, edit .... recall 1 once behind a picture frame. Plenty outside, none inside like the Asian ones.
Great insect eaters though! 👍

View attachment 188797
Going by that smug look on her lizard face, im guessing she's a very happy beardie.
Knows who runs the show but pretends otherwise.
Did a DuckDuckGo lizard facial translate (thats a thing you know)...."yeah im happy as here, just dont tell Sarah or my covers blown!" :giggle:
True....would I lie!?.......dont answer....

Last edited:

Lady Sarah

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
We have gecko's here in Vic. They are small, around 5 to 8 cm max. When we were in Queensland we had bigger, but they were not native, they were Asian variety. But we liked them as they ate everything bug wise, no need for sprays :)
Ours here further south, the asian ones cant live, so ours are Aussie native ones. Biggest iv seen 5 to 7 cm. Very different in appearance. But they still hunt bugs. The major dif is the Asian ones dont care, they come into the house and hunt right in front of you. Our native ones are shy. Never seen one inside ever, edit .... recall 1 once behind a picture frame. Plenty outside, none inside like the Asian ones.
Great insect eaters though! 👍

Going by that smug look on her lizard face, im guessing she's a very happy beardie.
Knows who runs the show but pretends otherwise.
Did a DuckDuckGo lizard facial translate (thats a thing you know)...."yeah im happy as here, just dont tell Sarah or my covers blown!" :giggle:
True....would I lie!?.......dont answer....

Oh, and she is picky as all heck when it comes to food. I'll give her the big ol super worms. Sometimes she will eat them. Sometimes she will ignore them, like "they ain't my bloody damned crickets". Well, it ain't cricket season, and the store bought crickets die within 2 days no matter what I do.

In the summer, I'll give her cut up pieces of spineless prickly pear cactus. She loves the stuff. I have it growing in the yard. When it starts getting all fibrous and tough, she can't eat it. It's the only vegetation she will consume.

Smigo

Gold Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Oh, and she is picky as all heck when it comes to food. I'll give her the big ol super worms. Sometimes she will eat them. Sometimes she will ignore them, like "they ain't my bloody damned crickets". Well, it ain't cricket season, and the store bought crickets die within 2 days no matter what I do.

In the summer, I'll give her cut up pieces of spineless prickly pear cactus. She loves the stuff. I have it growing in the yard. When it starts getting all fibrous and tough, she can't eat it. It's the only vegetation she will consume.
Fussy lizard.
The shingle back, stumpy tail lizards iv taken pictures of and shown here a few times love to eat peaches. Even if they have never eaten them before you can put a piece of one in front of them and they'll eat it. There was a couple at my parents place that they used feed canned peaches to when they saw them. Very very docile they are. Like our wallabies.
Stumpies and Wallabies are the stoners of our wildlife. :giggle:

~Don~

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Wife is in Los Angeles visiting her family and old friends and she sends me this picture.

217acd6633e962eda72693ec3dcfad62.png

Me on the left, Richard below, Kurt and Ed.

Her girlfriends are reenacting photos from the mid 90’s they have together

0d40a247aa95db6180ad97635ecd5314.jpg

One from 1999

Joy, Kat, wife, Marianne, Leshel

All of us used to get together for Christmas over the years…

Then Leshel moved to San Francisco

Kat and Richard separated

We moved to San Diego

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DogMan

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Stupidly bought canvas which I can't afford

But considering this rough design, as 4 panels. As tall as standard ceiling. That can just nestle in behind furniture and not lose much

Panelled for ease of shipping

f5ef9c7a810fda4f9d961dd70697b8b8.jpg

b596a680d46ef953c6b10bf97ceceda8.jpg

DogMan

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Not bad at all. It's amazing at what a phone camera can do (such a small lens but the software is so good)
i agree

since dslr flagship releases are every 2 or 4 years, and phones from samsung etc every 6 or 12 months. The tech moves so much quicker than dedicated cameras

i love my periscope lens

VapeOn1960

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Don (can't find the key to bring up your name)
Wow... had really big ravens up in the mountains, and lots of crows down here in the city, but have never seen anything like that! They call that a "murder" (have no idea why) Have never seen that many at once.
the big ravens in the mountains were really smart... and even (I swear by this) would "talk to us" (I read about how smart they are and even have a special language between themselves) They can be scary (in large numbers) but are one of my favorite birds. I know it sounds crazy, but one of our close friends (in the mountains) loved those birds. He passed away (odd heart valve thing... they said he had it all his life but nobody knew... could have died any time... lived to be over 50) Anyway... we all swear there is a large raven in the mountains that is him (serious... sounds crazy but true) He talks to us (OK... at this point you are all thinking WTF?) His name was Dave... at least 10 of us said "that's Dave". OK, I'll move on... a large number of these birds is freaky but they are special and super smart. I have never seen one attack a person so no reason to fear them.

gopher_byrd

Cranky Old Fart
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
31c3f929c0ddd8369434ace2e8ab0df2.dng

Dropped the wife off at the mall to make a simple return…

These are crows, 1000’s of them

Never seen that many; googled it… been an issue at this mall for at least a decade

@~Don~ That's a lot crows, we have crows in my town, but nothing like that. I would not like to park my car there or walk without an umbrella.:poop:

DogMan

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Don (can't find the key to bring up your name)
Wow... had really big ravens up in the mountains, and lots of crows down here in the city, but have never seen anything like that! They call that a "murder" (have no idea why) Have never seen that many at once.
the big ravens in the mountains were really smart... and even (I swear by this) would "talk to us" (I read about how smart they are and even have a special language between themselves) They can be scary (in large numbers) but are one of my favorite birds. I know it sounds crazy, but one of our close friends (in the mountains) loved those birds. He passed away (odd heart valve thing... they said he had it all his life but nobody knew... could have died any time... lived to be over 50) Anyway... we all swear there is a large raven in the mountains that is him (serious... sounds crazy but true) He talks to us (OK... at this point you are all thinking WTF?) His name was Dave... at least 10 of us said "that's Dave". OK, I'll move on... a large number of these birds is freaky but they are special and super smart. I have never seen one attack a person so no reason to fear them.
Crows hold funerals for the dead. Gather in masses

So the belief used to be that big group of crows meant impending death

VapeOn1960

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
That's very interesting. I do know that Ravens (had lots of big ones in the mountains) mate for life... they are very smart and very social.

gadget!

"The Trader"
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU SWAT
VU Patreon
The calif D.O.T found over 200 dead crows on on Calif hwys recently, and there was concern that they may have died from Avian Flu. A Pathologist examined the remains of all the crows, and, to everyone's relief, confirmed the problem was NOT Avian Flu. The cause of death appeared to be from vehicular impacts. However, during analysis it was noted that varying colours of paints appeared on the ...bird's beaks and claws. By analysing these paint residues it was found that 98% of the crows had been killed by impact with motorbikes, while only 2% were killed by cars.

The Agency then hired an Ornithological Behaviourist to determine if there was a cause for the disproportionate percentages of motorbike kills versus car kills. The Ornithological Behaviourist quickly concluded that when crows eat road kill, they always have a look-out crow to warn of danger. They discovered that while all the lookout crows could shout "Cah", not a single one could shout "bike"

Sent from a Galaxy far far away

~Don~

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Not my pics, but ones the wife or my baby sis took from two different places the same day.

09e4fcc04b8c23c4c215a55d84d58f97.jpg

Wife and her bestie Joyce at Arches National

67cb34349c26b7d613005775f9eb3f8f.jpg

My nieces at Dumbo

From left to right, #2, #3, #1, #4

And yes when I see them I call them by number lol

The youngest asked once why numbers, I said, “Age girly, oldest is #1, it’s not who is favorite” ( lies lol #1 is favorite)

VU Sponsors