Become a Patron!

Post your builds

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Soooo everything was going good for the first few wraps and then, once again, the wires "triangled" up on me again. Maybe I'm not stretching the alien exo enough? Any help would be fantastic....

ce2bd28b2e95ee6e763d3db4bbf95605.jpg

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
Yea its still not stretched enough, you should hold slight tension on the wire as its being laid and go slow so you see them lay flat, after you understand how far they need to stretch then let her rip.
Your pic seems they are stretched plenty but you said your getting the alien mohawk?

This isnt the Exo Alien, just an Alien Outer Wrap, just FYI

Last edited:

Schmucko

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Soooo everything was going good for the first few wraps and then, once again, the wires "triangled" up on me again. Maybe I'm not stretching the alien exo enough? Any help would be fantastic....

Did you back the wire off? It looks way over stretched if you didnt. Keep plenty of tension on the core wires and work as slow as possible. Maintain consistent tension on your wrap wire as you feed it until it starts to lay properly and pay close attention to see if its still stretching as it wraps. If you have your spacing correct you only need slight tension to maintain control of the feed and let it slide through your fingers. Once you get the feel down you can gradually increase your speed

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk

AnthonyLouis

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
@raymo2u That wire in the above pic was bad wire that I pulled back off the core after the core bunched up. This is what the rest looks like

f508ef69b3c7be37916451915186a5e8.jpg

Needs more streching huh? So that's why the wires bunched? That was the only thing I could think of

Poppa (K)

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Dude. Wtf is that top build? Btw they are beautiful builds man!

sent from a dumb operated smartphone
thnx :)

Double Caged Fused Claptons (i think that what it's called. i have no idea what half these builds are called anymore, lol)
2x36N80/36K(top)36K(bottom)//24Kcage

i have to come up with TWO perfect builds for different comps before the 14. one is for a Goon RDA and a boat load of juice and shit. the other is for a place on the Coil Conspiracy team (and sponsors out the ass).

i'm going to build the two most sets of kick ass coils that i can. i don't have a hope in hell in winning either. the team spot is WAYYYYY above my paygrade, and my lowpro camera setup isn't going to cut it for the Goon comp. but hey, you only live once; and everyone likes high follower numbers :p

i'm hoping to have DSLR of some sort some time next month. it really sucks not being able to really capture what i see.

CrazyChef

Custom Hand Crafted Coils - PureCoils.com
VU Vendor
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Any help would be fantastic....
That is DEFINITELY overstretched. If you understretch it, you'll get something similar to a Prometheus coil - basically a triangular Alien, but with the core wires still aligned correctly. Stretching Alien wire is like using salt - you can always add more, but you can't take it out. Always understretch until you get a little more experience, then you'll be able to judge it with more precision.

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
That is DEFINITELY overstretched. If you understretch it, you'll get something similar to a Prometheus coil - basically a triangular Alien, but with the core wires still aligned correctly. Stretching Alien wire is like using salt - you can always add more, but you can't take it out. Always understretch until you get a little more experience, then you'll be able to judge it with more precision.
He said he was getting the triangle tips...but his wire shows them over stretched, maybe hes under stretching and then his second try over stretching?

CrazyChef

VU Vendor
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Yeah, the description is a little muddy. Let me see if I can find an "in progress" pic in my stash for him.

CrazyChef

VU Vendor
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Crap. I can't find any.

AnthonyLouis

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Ok, let me try to explain this better. The first few Initial wraps (12 or so) seemed to be good. Then the 3 core wires scrunched up like a triangle (2 wires parallel, 1 on top of them).

@CrazyChef @raymo2 this is the what the wire looks like . The 1 in the first pic was backed off/unwrapped wire.

c8749f6b19b0a082e2c03136bbfdc018.jpg

This is what your saying is overstretched?

CrazyChef

VU Vendor
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Yeah, you're overstretched. But only by a little.

AnthonyLouis

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
He said he was getting the triangle tips...but his wire shows them over stretched, maybe hes under stretching and then his second try over stretching?
I only stretched it once

CrazyChef

VU Vendor
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
So that's what would be causing the core wires to "triangle"?
Yup. The decored Clapton needs a certain amount of space to rewrap itself correctly. If it's overstretched, it'll bind up the cores. If it's understretched, it'll create it's own triangulation outside of the core.

MR.G.

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
If you also pull on the wire that you are wrapping onto the mains to hard you will get triangle, thats why its important to get the stretch right, only trial and error can truly help you as to how far you need to stretch, when you get it right you wont need to give any tension, as you are wrapping it on and you will feel it clicking into place.
When i would make aliens i would always wrap the same amount of clapton wire everytime! and then stretch out the decored clapton to a length and using something near by like the length or width of a table to judge how far ive stretched and then atleast next time you can always go back and adjust the the amount of stretch untill you get it right.

CrazyChef

VU Vendor
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Anyone want any????????
Sure, I could experiment with it! Maybe make a polished TC build out of it or something.
I haven't really ventured out into the TC world, as of yet. Can I use 430SS in the RX200 or Cuboid in TC mode?

Dawn0810

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
You'd need like 4 ounces of juice to fill that thing at least

Sent from the lab in my basement of vapement

Dawn0810

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Sure, I could experiment with it! Maybe make a polished TC build out of it or something.
I haven't really ventured out into the TC world, as of yet. Can I use 430SS in the RX200 or Cuboid in TC mode?
Does the update in the RX have the tcr? I'm not home to look

Dawn0810

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
430 SS is .00138 I know that

Dawn0810

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
i'll take what ever you'd want to send North.
Canada is where the 1lb rolls of wire came from 14$ for one pound of SS wire I got 37g which equals a little over 18,000ft but to ship it to me it was 14$ but I'm sure it'd be cheaper to send it to you. They're centralwire.com but if you want some of the 18g just PM your address

Dawn0810

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I'm sure it'll work but they're both setup for 316 so you might have to play around with the temp. But I've used SS in Ti mode and went 80 degrees cooler than my normal vape temp and it works every time except for my xcube but I've always had an issue with that mod

scarecrowjenkins

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor

That outer wire is certainly stretched too far. You still want it to remain circular, have a curl to it. You want the space between the waves to be just a hair smaller than the width of the 3 cores. Like Chef says, its better to understretch it than over stretch it. You don't want that outer wire to straighten out and lose its curl

BrattVapes

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
@anthonyluis

First you're not the only one to struggle getting aliens off the ground. I sent buildbuddy on IG a bunch of photos that seemed to help him out a lot..

I'd recommend watching the video M.Terk and OhmBoyOC did together on the "stitched alien" because M.Terk explains not only his swivel technique but his alien techniques.

Everyone who has an alien tutorial always describes the amount you want to stretch out your wrap as "a feeling" but that answer doesn't work for me. I'm not a "feel" person. I'm a binary or linear person, yes or no, that's right or that's wrong..

Because of that one thing that helped me I think Ray said here was you want to envision your decored clapton is being stretched enough so that each "flat" part is going to fit well over three strands of whatever your core wires are. (26g for me)

I stretch mine about this far.
fb89564afcd72d1824bbf7a0769f12f7.jpg

e7c937f984cc42bf79c193ee036e8aff.jpg

build buddy couldn't quite figure out the swivel set up, and if you're having trouble there I have photos for that as well...

Aliens are just hard to get done in the beginning. Now to me they're just as simple as a Fused Clapton.

Matt

BrattVapes

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I haven't really touched TC mode either... I know my IPV has a firmware upgrade that allows me to use Ti as well... I don't even know where to begin with the whole Temp Control deal.

There's nickel and SS and Ti and they seem to have weird ways of wrapping coils to get them working... Seems like a mess...

Matt

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Got another Double Vision RDA and Freakshow RDA....up to 4 DV's now and I think one more coming in..I love that RDA!
Griffin Glass came also today, had to put a quick build in it, now its back in service. I didnt make the Fused Clapton like I normally do...
I will take pics of it shortly but its a 2 x 24N80/40N80 but I spaced the Clapton wraps out (.3mm maybe in between each wrap) I was almost out of 40g and I think it may also wick well as more juice will be held between the clapton wraps rather then a sleeve of clapton. We will see I guess.

I also took the AFC off the "Silver" Griffin and its alot like the Herakles with the AFC removed, its even more airy but theres no whistle and its a smooth draw now, it doesnt have that restrictive feeling or that air noise any more...
20160307_121924.jpg

I notice the Clone is different then the Authentic by quite a bit, Top Cap width and height, Drip Tip, AFC size, Post Hole placements and Posts are all different...
20160307_112949.jpg

20160307_112925.jpg

AnthonyLouis

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
@raymo2u you weren't kidding about the noisy cricket.... I threw my Succubus on it, .35 I believe it was, and it's hitting harder then anything I've put on my regulated device at .15.... I think I'm going to have to build a bit higher, at least .5, cause I got like a massive nicotine rush when I took the first few tokes off the cricket

BrattVapes

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Speaking of noisy cricket... Does anyone have a recommendation on how to go about cleaning the threads on the NC?

Matt

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
@raymo2u you weren't kidding about the noisy cricket.... I threw my Succubus on it, .35 I believe it was, and it's hitting harder then anything I've put on my regulated device at .15.... I think I'm going to have to build a bit higher, at least .5, cause I got like a massive nicotine rush when I took the first few tokes off the cricket

I hope you didnt use a .15 build on the Cricket, that is extremely dangerous...The batteries are in stacked form acting as one single battery

AnthonyLouis

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
So my double vision clone I bought Still isn't here thanks to the good folks at usps who haven't updated the status since it was shipped out.

I was really looking forward to using it on the noisy cricket.. @raymo2u you have both the clone and authentic, correct? You think it's worth me going to the local b&m and getting the authentic for $69.99 or should I just wait for the clone to come whenever it's going to come?

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
So my double vision clone I bought Still isn't here thanks to the good folks at usps who haven't updated the status since it was shipped out.

I was really looking forward to using it on the noisy cricket.. @raymo2u you have both the clone and authentic, correct? You think it's worth me going to the local b&m and getting the authentic for $69.99 or should I just wait for the clone to come whenever it's going to come?

Depends on how bad you want it...the quality on both are great but the clone doesnt come with a second deck...can build a parallel box build and a series build, one for each deck

AnthonyLouis

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
I really do rather get the Goon rda since the clone is coming....eventually. I'm terrible though, I have no patience lol

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Does the authentic deck fit in the clone ?

Depends on the clone, there are 2 different versions...You can tell buy the post holes, if they are perfectly symmetrical then it fits, if one hole is higher then the other it wont fit as it is slightly smaller

AnthonyLouis

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Depends on the clone, there are 2 different versions...You can tell buy the post holes, if they are perfectly symmetrical then it fits, if one hole is higher then the other it wont fit as it is slightly smaller
It'd be pretty cool if they sold TM/13H/DV top caps somewhere.....wait, do they?

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
@raymo2u what setup do you have for your double vision/noisy cricket?

Framed Staples on the DV, the other 2 have no builds on them yet...
I used the Velocity on the Noisy Cricket and its rocking some 2 x 28K/40N80 Fused Claptons (9 Wraps/3mm ID @ .43 Ohms?)
DV Build:
20160227_190822.jpg20160229_140101.jpg

Velocity Build:
20160221_132414.jpg 20160221_132319.jpg

VU Sponsors