Become a Patron!

Post your builds

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Im uploading a video of the single coil on the Brass Diablo Box just to show its output and response time...I find it pretty impressive for a single coil, I cannot wait until I can dual it out!
HOG V2 Im not entirellyt sure if I want to build under .3 as I did with the Freakshow yesterday and about blew my face off from the heat and vapor output lol
Here's that 4 Core Single Coil in Action: LINK

robot zombie

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
2.5mm 28KA1/38KD. Tried some different lighting angles this time. The hard light sure made them real shiny, but it killed the detail in the 38g. These are some of the prettier fused claptons I've made lately and I can't get a good shot of them. Shitty camera is shitty always. Still came out kinda neat... ...I think.
IMG_20160309_015430.jpg
IMG_20160309_015731.jpg

IMG_20160309_015349.jpg

Not quite enough oomf for the Troll. The airflow is weakening it a good bit. I was being overly cautious with them thinking they needed the troll's airflow. Just thought they'd be hotter. Might have to drop them in the Snubnose after all. I'm torn between that and my Mutation X v3 for this build's permanent residence. I feel like it could do well in either.

@raymo2u I think you were talking about a similar build the other day. I agree, not enough warmth, though it's pretty snappy. I'm thinking about dropping the outer down to 42g nichrome. That's really all it's missing. Flavor and vapor aren't too shabby.

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
2.5mm 28KA1/38KD. Tried some different lighting angles this time. The hard light sure made them real shiny, but it killed the detail in the 38g. These are some of the prettier fused claptons I've made lately and I can't get a good shot of them. Shitty camera is shitty always. Still came out kinda neat... ...I think.
IMG_20160309_015430.jpg
IMG_20160309_015731.jpg

IMG_20160309_015349.jpg

Not quite enough oomf for the Troll. The airflow is weakening it a good bit. I was being overly cautious with them thinking they needed the troll's airflow. Just thought they'd be hotter. Might have to drop them in the Snubnose after all. I'm torn between that and my Mutation X v3 for this build's permanent residence. I feel like it could do well in either.

@raymo2u I think you were talking about a similar build the other day. I agree, not enough warmth, though it's pretty snappy. I'm thinking about dropping the outer down to 42g nichrome. That's really all it's missing. Flavor and vapor aren't too shabby.
Yes I went down to 2 x 26K/38N80 and it got much better...Try that when you have time, shoot for around .45

robot zombie

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yes I went down to 2 x 26K/38N80 and it got much better...Try that when you have time, shoot for around .45
Thanks, I'll probably give it a shot tomorrow night if I'm not dead tired and too cracked out on energy drinks by the time I have the chance. Who knows, maybe that'll be the thing to do after working a 12 hour shift :p

That reminds me... ...anybody ever randomly get nervous builder's hands? Or is there just something wrong with me that sometimes makes my hands want to randomly spaz-out in the middle of making wire? It's not like I'm shaky/twitchy normally. It's just something that occasionally happens when I break out the drill. Dexterity is there, but steadiness just isn't lol. It's almost like I gotta let it happen... ...sorta like an itch - I can resist but it has to happen eventually or I'm gonna be distracted. Sorta like wire-making-exclusive Tourette syndrome.

It's probably very fun to watch but it's really aggravating to go through. I'm normally very calm and steady in my movements, but every now and again, the stability isn't there when I sit down in front of a drill, though the dexterity and precision is. I can go and wrap/mount clean triple parallels just fine, but god forbid I try to make a foot of standard clapton.

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Thanks, I'll probably give it a shot tomorrow night if I'm not dead tired and too cracked out on energy drinks by the time I have the chance. Who knows, maybe that'll be the thing to do after working a 12 hour shift :p

That reminds me... ...anybody ever randomly get nervous builder's hands? Or is there just something wrong with me that sometimes makes my hands want to randomly spaz-out in the middle of making wire? It's not like I'm shaky/twitchy normally. It's just something that occasionally happens when I break out the drill. Dexterity is there, but steadiness just isn't lol. It's almost like I gotta let it happen... ...sorta like an itch - I can resist but it has to happen eventually or I'm gonna be distracted. Sorta like wire-making-exclusive Tourette syndrome.

It's probably very fun to watch but it's really aggravating to go through. I'm normally very calm and steady in my movements, but every now and again, the stability isn't there when I sit down in front of a drill, though the dexterity and precision is. I can go and wrap/mount clean triple parallels just fine, but god forbid I try to make a foot of standard clapton.
No but I have early stages of tendonitis or CP in my wrist and thumb on my right hand and while holding the spool when making wire my thumb gets to such a painful point I almost feel the need to chop it off...It makes making intricate builds very demanding on my hands and it sucks ass....

AnthonyLouis

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Im uploading a video of the single coil on the Brass Diablo Box just to show its output and response time...I find it pretty impressive for a single coil, I cannot wait until I can dual it out!
HOG V2 Im not entirellyt sure if I want to build under .3 as I did with the Freakshow yesterday and about blew my face off from the heat and vapor output lol
Here's that 4 Core Single Coil in Action: LINK
Beast

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

AnthonyLouis

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
I know this is a bit off topic but I gotta let it out. I can't stand USPS. Bunch a fukin slack offs...
I'm seriously about to just paying the extra money at the B&M just so I don't have to wait 10 days for a package ....

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
I know this is a bit off topic but I gotta let it out. I can't stand USPS. Bunch a fukin slack offs...
I'm seriously about to just paying the extra money at the B&M just so I don't have to wait 10 days for a package ....

It depends on your area, USPS here is the best shipping method for me, I always get my shit anywhere in the US in less then 3 business days once its picked up. UPS and FED Ex always take almost a week before anything pops up saying it accepted and then its over 5 days even when its a state or 2 away...

AnthonyLouis

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
It depends on your area, USPS here is the best shipping method for me, I always get my shit anywhere in the US in less then 3 business days once its picked up. UPS and FED Ex always take almost a week before anything pops up saying it accepted and then its over 5 days even when its a state or 2 away...
I used to have ZERO quarrels with USPS. They did me right for years.... But these past few months have been ridiculous. As of right now, I have a Griffin that was supposed to be here Monday, but tracking says it departed California FOUR (edit: 6days) days ago. I ordered a Double Vision on eBay from a seller who lives in Atlantic city, New Jersey... I live in Queens NY. That's about 2.5 hour travel with traffic. The Double vision tracking says Preshipment Info received (March 3rd). Today it actually changed to "enroute". Any idea what this means within the USPS?

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
I used to have ZERO quarrels with USPS. They did me right for years.... But these past few months have been ridiculous. As of right now, I have a Griffin that was supposed to be here Monday, but tracking says it departed California FOUR (edit: 6days) days ago. I ordered a Double Vision on eBay from a seller who lives in Atlantic city, New Jersey... I live in Queens NY. That's about 2.5 hour travel with traffic. The Double vision tracking says Preshipment Info received (March 3rd). Today it actually changed to "enroute". Any idea what this means within the USPS?

6 days is some time but it may have skipped being scanned at the last 1 or 2 sorting facilities and may be closer then you would expect by now. Preshipment is when a seller has paid for tracking/shipment but it hasn't been picked up or dropped off yet to the post office, USPS has no control over how long it stays like this the seller does. If its en-route a mail agent may have picked it up or it was dropped off, expect another update soon.

Poppa (K)

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
IMG_20160309_015430.jpg
IMG_20160309_015731.jpg

IMG_20160309_015349.jpg

clean build for sure.

are you using a light box to soften the lighting?

AnthonyLouis

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
6 days is some time but it may have skipped being scanned at the last 1 or 2 sorting facilities and may be closer then you would expect by now. Preshipment is when a seller has paid for tracking/shipment but it hasn't been picked up or dropped off yet to the post office, USPS has no control over how long it stays like this the seller does. If its en-route a mail agent may have picked it up or it was dropped off, expect another update soon.
I'm pretty sure the guy dropped the double vision off the same day that went up. He actually refunded my account 2 nights ago because he figured it was lost

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
I'm pretty sure the guy dropped the double vision off the same day that went up. He actually refunded my account 2 nights ago because he figured it was lost

Maybe a sorting issue when it first was dropped off then

Poppa (K)

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year

USPS doing the hand-off to Canada Post for me. i'll pass on buying something if it means having to use a courier company.

AnthonyLouis

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Maybe a sorting issue when it first was dropped off then
2 weeks ago they lost my kanthal d. Poor guy had to send another 1000' for their mistake. Hate stuff like that

JERUS

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year

If a package is misplaced (very easy with their load to accidentally put it on the wrong car/truck) it'll add at least a day. I order from a place about 2 hours away from here just like you did with the New Jersey thing (I'm in Cali) and it's typically a single day trip in the mail, order one day, ships out the next, gets to me the following day. One time it went out about 2 hours east instead of 2 hours south, that cost me a day :(.

Like Raymo said, preshippment means they printed the label, many of these companies will print the label before the product is ready to ship, I've had preshipment for almost a week before, just figure they're waiting for more stock to come in or something. Then they'll package it up and slap that label on it.

It should say where it's scanned this can give you an idea of what's going on, like I said I saw a scan out in Riverside I think it was rather than what should have been Anaheim, right then I knew it was going to cost a day at least, luckily they did the right thing and got it on the truck to Anaheim rather than retrace the route.

But yeah, USPS does have a lot of issues, but just think, they process thousands and thousands of items every day, a few things happening really should be expected. CA to NY IIRC is a 4 day ship, I wouldn't get too worried till you hit the 10 day mark, and since USPS delivers saturdays count those as business days too.

AnthonyLouis

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
If a package is misplaced (very easy with their load to accidentally put it on the wrong car/truck) it'll add at least a day. I order from a place about 2 hours away from here just like you did with the New Jersey thing (I'm in Cali) and it's typically a single day trip in the mail, order one day, ships out the next, gets to me the following day. One time it went out about 2 hours east instead of 2 hours south, that cost me a day :(.

Like Raymo said, preshippment means they printed the label, many of these companies will print the label before the product is ready to ship, I've had preshipment for almost a week before, just figure they're waiting for more stock to come in or something. Then they'll package it up and slap that label on it.

It should say where it's scanned this can give you an idea of what's going on, like I said I saw a scan out in Riverside I think it was rather than what should have been Anaheim, right then I knew it was going to cost a day at least, luckily they did the right thing and got it on the truck to Anaheim rather than retrace the route.

But yeah, USPS does have a lot of issues, but just think, they process thousands and thousands of items every day, a few things happening really should be expected. CA to NY IIRC is a 4 day ship, I wouldn't get too worried till you hit the 10 day mark, and since USPS delivers saturdays count those as business days too.
It never takes 4 days from California to me... Usually 2 day transit 1-2 days bouncing around new York

AnthonyLouis

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor

And I doubt he made the label and waited to send it out...why would he refund the money if he truly knew it wasn't lost or what not

JERUS

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
And I doubt he made the label and waited to send it out...why would he refund the money if he truly knew it wasn't lost or what not

If it went to "enroute" it means it got dropped off, so naw, I'm just saying as a thing to know that if it's preshipment they didn't drop it off yet and a lot of companies that's a few day process sometimes.

And doh, yeah USPS is 2 day to New York, UPS/Fedex is 4 day standard, my bad. USPS is seriously stupidly cheap for what they do.

ups.jpg usps.jpg

And that ups price jumps to $70 at 10lbs where the flat rates on USPS don't change at all! Point being, cut them some slack, it's far better than paying the UPS prices on everything ;)

AnthonyLouis

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
anyone have the phenotype-l? I want to grab one but wanna know how building on it is :)

robot zombie

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
No but I have early stages of tendonitis or CP in my wrist and thumb on my right hand and while holding the spool when making wire my thumb gets to such a painful point I almost feel the need to chop it off...It makes making intricate builds very demanding on my hands and it sucks ass....
Damn, that sucks! Can't imagine having to deal with that pain. I might one day, though. I'm a guitarist of 13 years and my technique is actually really bad for my hands. I've been told by my doctor that I can expect it within the next several decades.

You do extremely well for someone with tendonitis, man! I'm kinda surprised to learn that about you.

I also forget that I had a major injury in my right hand as a child. I broke nearly every bone in my right hand on the lip of a half pipe... ...just barely missed the growth plate. I often forget because it doesn't often bother me in Florida's warm subtropical weather, but I will probably never live anywhere too cold because of it. When it gets down into the 50's, I loose half of the strength in my right hand to dull, irradiating pains. I've broken fingers, toes, my left elbow, my right forearm... ....and none of them fuck with me quite like the hand does.

I guess that might explain it for me. Strain and past injuries. The specific movements. I suppose I still do pretty well with it most of the time. I'm good with my hands, for now... ...the problem is that because of this, I work with my hands and have many hands-on hobbies. It's only a matter of time before it takes its toll.

One can't help but wonder how many coilers today will have hand/wrist problems 10 years down the line.
clean build for sure.

are you using a light box to soften the lighting?
Thank you! I'm not using any fancy lighting. I've got 3 'natural' fluorescent bulbs about 2 feet back and 3.5 feet up away from the coils. Just the bathroom counter lights, actually. I've been thinking about making things more legit by getting a couple of lamps for direct lighting and setting up a light box for diffused. I just don't see a point to using proper lighting until I get a DSLR. This shitty phone cam has its limitations.

You know what my biggest gripe with phone cams actually is? Autofocus. Why do they not have manual focus? The side buttons are always digital zoom, which is worthless. You can easily accomplish the same thing by cropping after the fact. Might as well make those buttons do something that's actually useful when you're actually taking the picture, seeing as how even the best autofocus is still stupid as fuck. I spend more time trying to get it to pick up on what I want it to focus on than anything else.

Last edited:

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Damn, that sucks! Can't imagine having to deal with that pain. I might one day, though. I'm a guitarist of 13 years and my technique is actually really bad for my hands. I've been told by my doctor that I can expect it within the next several decades.

You do extremely well for someone with tendonitis, man! I'm kinda surprised to learn that about you.

I also forget that I had a major injury in my right hand as a child. I broke nearly every bone in my right hand on the lip of a half pipe... ...just barely missed the growth plate. I often forget because it doesn't often bother me in Flroida's warm subtropical weather, but I will probably never live anywhere too cold because of it. When it gets down into the 50's, I loose half of the strength in my right hand to dull, irradiating pains. I've broken fingers, toes, my left elbow, my right forearm... ....and none of them fuck with me quite like the hand does.

I guess that might explain it for me. Strain and past injuries. The specific movements. I suppose I still do pretty well with it most of the time. I'm good with my hands, for now... ...the problem is that because of this, I work with my hands and have many hands-on hobbies. It's only a matter of time before it takes its toll.

One can't help but wonder how many coilers today will have hand/wrist problems 10 years down the line.

Thank you! I'm not using any fancy lighting. I've got 3 'natural' fluorescent bulbs about 2 feet back and 3.5 feet up away from the coils. Just the bathroom counter lights, actually. I've been thinking about making things more legit by getting a couple of lamps for direct lighting and setting up a light box for diffused. I just don't see a point to using proper lighting until I get a DSLR. This shitty phone cam has its limitations.

You know what my biggest gripe with phone cams actually is? Autofocus. Why do they not have manual focus? The side buttons are always digital zoom, which is worthless. You can easily accomplish the same thing by cropping after the fact. Might as well make those buttons do something that's actually useful when you're actually taking the picture, seeing as how even the best autofocus is still stupid as fuck. I spend more time trying to get it to pick up on what I want it to focus on than anything else.
Im only 26...Its mostly due to Coding and how I positioned my hands, its progressivly gotten worse and I will probably need surgery soon....It sucks man but I wont let it stop me doing what I enjoy.

JERUS

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Im only 26...Its mostly due to Coding and how I positioned my hands, its progressivly gotten worse and I will probably need surgery soon....It sucks man but I wont let it stop me doing what I enjoy.
I consider myself lucky, for how many hours I've logged on the computer and how much I've typed. The fact that I don't have any issues is simply amazing. Though, now you're making me look bad :D

Last edited:

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
I consider myself lucky, for how many hours I've logged on the computer and how much I've type the fact that I don't have any issues is simply amazing. Though, now you're making me look bad :D
Yea well I write code for a living and have been coding for almost 8 years....3 years professionally. The laptop I had to start with I think was the biggest contributer and how I would sit to use it. My bed was higher off the ground and I would sit and the edge and the laptop would be on a coffee table, knee high and I would have to lean forward with all my weight on my wrists while typing...did that for almost 2 years, since then Ive made it a mission to have the PC at the correct height and have my wrists laid on and bent like your supposed to...but the damage has been done and I can only hope it doesnt progress faster.
It doesnt bother me throughout the day, its usually when I first wake up my wrist and thumb joint hurt like hell but it goes away...kind of like a really bad toothache. When your busy and not thinking of it you dont feel it as much, its still there but its only bad when your not busy and doing nothing.....
Enough about me..

I put a build in the Blacked Out Diablo RTA for the Noisy Cricket, I am going to rewick it and take pics...need a looser wick as it need faster juice delivery..
Ill post it in a minute...

Poppa (K)

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
It comes from incorrectly holding your hads on the keyboard. I've been a computer geek since the mis 80's and have no problem. My first computer was a Tandy CoCo II.
TRS-80 with 16k. i lost my shit when my dad upgraded it to 32k. he won't spring for the floppy drive though.....

JERUS

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Yea well I write code for a living and have been coding for almost 8 years....3 years professionally. The laptop I had to start with I think was the biggest contributer and how I would sit to use it. My bed was higher off the ground and I would sit and the edge and the laptop would be on a coffee table, knee high and I would have to lean forward with all my weight on my wrists while typing...did that for almost 2 years, since then Ive made it a mission to have the PC at the correct height and have my wrists laid on and bent like your supposed to...but the damage has been done and I can only hope it doesnt progress faster.
It doesnt bother me throughout the day, its usually when I first wake up my wrist and thumb joint hurt like hell but it goes away...kind of like a really bad toothache. When your busy and not thinking of it you dont feel it as much, its still there but its only bad when your not busy and doing nothing.....
Enough about me..

I put a build in the Blacked Out Diablo RTA for the Noisy Cricket, I am going to rewick it and take pics...need a looser wick as it need faster juice delivery..
Ill post it in a minute...
Yeah I spent about 4 years learning coding then ended up going into a different field. Was also heavily into video games with a lot of button pressing/mashing... but I always used a desk :p

My diablo needs to get here faster!!!!

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Yeah I spent about 4 years learning coding then ended up going into a different field. Was also heavily into video games with a lot of button pressing/mashing... but I always used a desk :p

My diablo needs to get here faster!!!!
I make Video game Mods...Check my youtube ;) I havent done anything with Games lately as I got put into a new position and a lawsuit paper from Rockstar games kind of deterred me from going any further...

CrazyChef

Custom Hand Crafted Coils - PureCoils.com
VU Vendor
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Back when "ShareWare" first became popular, I was one of the original distributors of the original Wolfenstein 3D game. With Apogee, ID, and Software Creations BBS. I also ran "Metropolis Online!" BBS back in the early 90's running PCBoard v14.5 BBS software.

Last edited:

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Back when "ShareWare" first became popular, I was one of the original distributors of the original Wolfenstein game. With Apogee, ID, and Software Creations BBS. I also ran "Metropolis Online!" BBS back in the early 90's running PCBoard v14.5 BBS software.
Nothing like some 8/16/32 bit gaming to really get you pumped! :D

JERUS

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
You two got me beat, I wrote a couple little crappy add ons for my games, but that's it. Just stuff that would help me analyse stuff (yeah MMOs... Evercrack for the most part). But I've walked away from that stuff and not really looking back. Though I am tempted to get a DS now that they have a new ocarina of time (yeah I didn't know about that until 2 weeks ago :oops:, I'm a hermit)

BrattVapes

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
My buddy has that koopor after he had issues with his IPV 4. He really likes it, hope you feel the same!

Matt

Schmucko

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
My buddy has that koopor after he had issues with his IPV 4. He really likes it, hope you feel the same!

Matt
So far so good. Only had it about an hour tho... Ipv4 still going strong too

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk

BrattVapes

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
So far so good. Only had it about an hour tho... Ipv4 still going strong too

Yea I think his issue was with the chip. Wouldn't read resistance properly on anything. Would jump from .1 up to 1. Something and everything in between, and he didn't want to fuss with it.

Matt

MidwestExpress

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Back when "ShareWare" first became popular, I was one of the original distributors of the original Wolfenstein 3D game. With Apogee, ID, and Software Creations BBS. I also ran "Metropolis Online!" BBS back in the early 90's running PCBoard v14.5 BBS software.
Ahhh... Memories! I used to bounce off of my brother's BBS back in the day getting games!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

AnthonyLouis

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
You two got me beat, I wrote a couple little crappy add ons for my games, but that's it. Just stuff that would help me analyse stuff (yeah MMOs... Evercrack for the most part). But I've walked away from that stuff and not really looking back. Though I am tempted to get a DS now that they have a new ocarina of time (yeah I didn't know about that until 2 weeks ago :oops:, I'm a hermit)
I used to be a die hard Zelda fan :)
61238d7f7343f7cb4664700d56109a62.jpg

robot zombie

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'm not far off from that... ...I'll be 26 in August. And hell yeah, don't let it stop you. Do what you love. You could probably figure out a way to code hands-free with voice recognition. Then, you just have to worry about TMJ. :p

Don't all keyboards come with a warning that goes something like "There's no such thing as a keyboard that won't fuck up your hands." or something like that? I feel like a lot of keyboards don't even try to minimize the damage they do to your hands. So many I've tried just feel like... ...work. It's laborious to type on them.

Me, I've got no excuse with the guitar thing. It was may fault for not nitpicking my hand mechanics from the very beginning. It is a given that you will eventually get either carpal tunnel or tendinitis from playing guitar for decades, but my right hand technique makes it look like I'm mad at my guitar sometimes. I'm super rough with it and it's hard to undo over a decade of monster memory. I could prevent a lot of damage by taking a year to re-teach my hands to move the proper way, but fuck that! I didn't play guitar for this long to learn how to play it a second time!

LMAO I've lost a lot of time to RPGs over the year. For a while I was hitting mmo's pretty hard. Now, I try to pick one up and I'm just like, "When does the fun happen?"

It's weird because I'm in the middle of my umpteenth playthrough of FF6, which is all stats, grinding, RNG... ...the exploration aspect is nonexistent for me. I can probably tell you where all of the items are off of the top of my head... ...even which ones to get when because they change and so on. I needed another SNES RPG to play after Chrono Trigger, so now I'm playing that. I don't know what I get out of it.

Speaking of OOT, I started that up a while ago and never finished it. That game was revolutionary for its time, but the mechanics are clunky and that big, empty over-world bothers the shit out of me. I prefer Majora, though the timer shit aggravated me the first time around - I was like "Why is there a fucking timer in a game that's built on exploration?!" The one I really need to play again is Windwaker.

Don't get me started on the shareware days. I was late to the party, but my first computer in 1998 was pretty shitty, so I was playing a lot of games from the era just before that. I was this close to getting into programming myself because of ZZT. I used to love tinkering with the OOP. I think the closest I actually got to legit programming was writing assembly programs for my TI-84+ lol. That's as far as I got with it before I realized I was terrible with math and hard logic.

scarecrowjenkins

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
e4180d9d417cbb6a5a405732925c62aa.jpg

34d4afd9a9704f2ccae3b6e6b11fce6b.jpg

I just cut out the side of a priority mail box and taped a sheet of printer paper in that sucker. Makes a great diffuser. Before that i just draped a wet paper towel over my setup to diffuse the light and snapped em under the light on my stove haha

AnthonyLouis

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
So the wire got a bit twisted, by I finally got it done. Tomorrow I'm going to try higher gauge cores and wrap for the Noisy Cricket... Don't really think single coil would be that great a vape on a series mod. If anyone has done it, and enjoyed it, please let me know..

3x 28gK/34gK - 8 wraps/3mm ID - .6 ohm Single Coil....
15dc78b9bdbdbae29f9f07021aa179d6.jpg

77b2ded17331eb9ab737f227dd60be01.jpg

AnthonyLouis

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
@raymo2u did you say you had a staple build in your double vision/noisy cricket? I really don't feel like combing the pages right now

JERUS

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I'm not far off from that... ...I'll be 26 in August. And hell yeah, don't let it stop you. Do what you love. You could probably figure out a way to code hands-free with voice recognition. Then, you just have to worry about TMJ. :p

Don't all keyboards come with a warning that goes something like "There's no such thing as a keyboard that won't fuck up your hands." or something like that? I feel like a lot of keyboards don't even try to minimize the damage they do to your hands. So many I've tried just feel like... ...work. It's laborious to type on them.

Me, I've got no excuse with the guitar thing. It was may fault for not nitpicking my hand mechanics from the very beginning. It is a given that you will eventually get either carpal tunnel or tendinitis from playing guitar for decades, but my right hand technique makes it look like I'm mad at my guitar sometimes. I'm super rough with it and it's hard to undo over a decade of monster memory. I could prevent a lot of damage by taking a year to re-teach my hands to move the proper way, but fuck that! I didn't play guitar for this long to learn how to play it a second time!

LMAO I've lost a lot of time to RPGs over the year. For a while I was hitting mmo's pretty hard. Now, I try to pick one up and I'm just like, "When does the fun happen?"

It's weird because I'm in the middle of my umpteenth playthrough of FF6, which is all stats, grinding, RNG... ...the exploration aspect is nonexistent for me. I can probably tell you where all of the items are off of the top of my head... ...even which ones to get when because they change and so on. I needed another SNES RPG to play after Chrono Trigger, so now I'm playing that. I don't know what I get out of it.

Speaking of OOT, I started that up a while ago and never finished it. That game was revolutionary for its time, but the mechanics are clunky and that big, empty over-world bothers the shit out of me. I prefer Majora, though the timer shit aggravated me the first time around - I was like "Why is there a fucking timer in a game that's built on exploration?!" The one I really need to play again is Windwaker.

Don't get me started on the shareware days. I was late to the party, but my first computer in 1998 was pretty shitty, so I was playing a lot of games from the era just before that. I was this close to getting into programming myself because of ZZT. I used to love tinkering with the OOP. I think the closest I actually got to legit programming was writing assembly programs for my TI-84+ lol. That's as far as I got with it before I realized I was terrible with math and hard logic.
FF series and Zelda series are probably the best video game series of all time. I mean there's things like CoD/Halo/Battlefield for their genre of gaming, and Warcraft for it's, but god those two were just so far ahead of anything else they could be compared to. I hear you on being a little underwhelmed coming late, Majora's Mask was great, but it just wasn't as in your face "this is the next evolution of gaming" that OOC was for it's time. And, that's why it stands out so much.

I'm with you on the video game knowledge thing. Everquest actually had some guy reprogram it all in Perl and release his own (illegal) server that progressed exactly as the original did back in the day. A true reset. I played the crap out of it for 3 months, and in that time I ran out of things to do because I just simply knew everything about the game, unlike when I first started and was back at that same time in the game's life where I was struggling to survive even the simplest of fights (granted I was 10 at the time).

Anyways, it may be rose colored glasses, but I can't help but feel the video games of old had something that the new ones have abandoned, the new ones focusing too much on state of the art graphics and letting the story and gameplay suffer.

But, I guess this thread isn't the place for discussing this, but it's nice to know that quite a few of us have that similar interest.

Dawn0810

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I have a question do you guys pre burn every wire except Ti? I don't pre burn my SS and I'm wondering if I should also I used 430 SS for the first time today even tho I've had it since the summer I just never broke it out
5d298fe07828fd438aa4031fbd3a8547.jpg
77ceb85e17c06099578df7932a85960a.jpg

Sent from the lab in my basement of vapement

Schmucko

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I have a question do you guys pre burn every wire except Ti? I don't pre burn my SS and I'm wondering if I should also I used 430 SS for the first time today even tho I've had it since the summer I just never broke it out
5d298fe07828fd438aa4031fbd3a8547.jpg
77ceb85e17c06099578df7932a85960a.jpg

Sent from the lab in my basement of vapement
I only preburn ss to get the resistance leveled out and make sure they fire even.

VU Sponsors