Become a Patron!

Post your builds

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
How do you corrugate the ribbon? Never seen it explained.
Ive explained it on here...you need something with teeth like gears. You can use those precision screwdrivers or something similar. I used my RC cars spur gears to crimp the Ribbon...I need to find gears with smaller teeth, I may try using the pinion gears next. I havent seen it explained anywhere either and I never get a response from anyone Ive asked...I found that if you press the precision screwdrivers while having the Ribbon between them it will make the design, this time I tried something with bigger teeth and it looked about right. Im pretty sure this is how the guys are doing it but I could be wrong...

Like this:
20160408_142031.jpg 20160408_142048.jpg 20160408_142058.jpg 20160408_142117(0).jpg

Last edited:

blakemorder

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Ive explained it on here...you need something with teeth like gears. You can use those precision screwdrivers or something similar. I used my RC cars spur gears to crimp the Ribbon...I need to find gears with smaller teeth, I may try using the pinion gears next. I havent seen it explained anywhere either and I never get a response from anyone Ive asked...I found that if you press the precision screwdrivers while having the Ribbon between them it will make the design, this time I tried something with bigger teeth and it looked about right. Im pretty sure this is how the guys are doing it but I could be wrong...

Like this:
View attachment 46617 View attachment 46619 View attachment 46618 View attachment 46620
From what I've gathered there's a special pair of pliers everyone uses to get that look you see on instagram. I haven't found it yet though.

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
From what I've gathered there's a special pair of pliers everyone uses to get that look you see on instagram. I haven't found it yet though.
I think my method is easier and would be faster...

I see these and other s that would work...but only can do small sections at a time and you would need to line the grooves up ever section...I roll the gears with both hands and could do a 10ft piece in less then a minute easy...

Nutcracker-2.jpg

Iliketurtles

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Never heard or seen that before...that looks useful!
04907-OC3ww-l.jpg

Usually everything coil-y comes from jewellery making ideas and thats what they use in jewellery making to corrugate wire, think they use the metal ones though. Would think the plastic ones wear quickly if you put wire in them.

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Usually everything coil-y comes from jewellery making ideas and thats what they use in jewellery making to corrugate wire, think they use the metal ones though. Would think the plastic ones wear quickly if you put wire in them.
I dont think Ribbon would hurt it much, I just bought a metal one from china.

RedheadedBStarD

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Raymo why don't you twist a couple strands of that 0.8 ribbon and use that as cores in a staggered fused, or do the same and frame it with some round? Good way to use it and actually be able to wrap a coil. :)

Dawn0810

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
@raymo2u if it makes you feel any better The one they sent me was not the one in the pic it's black it barely fits in the drill:(.

Sent from the lab in my basement of vapement

itsmenotyou

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
No, no, you say "Sir" and I turn around and look for my father and steal a line from A Few Good Men.

From what I understand, you, sir, are the Sir around here. Those look like vintage warp coils from 1966 Star Trek episodes. Kudos, sir.
Your geeks showing

sent from a dumb operated smart phone

sychosis

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Ive been playing with Ideas for some Hybrid Coils....
Guatch from IG has made me rack my brain on what can be done using hybrids and I decided to get my toes wet, granted Im no Guatch or anything..

Hybrid Specs:
Outer Coil Wraps: 5 x .8R/24N80/40N80 Framed Staple
Inner Coil Wraps: 6 x .8R/2 x 22KA1/36N80

View attachment 46486
View attachment 46484 View attachment 46485 View attachment 46483 View attachment 46482
You can call that the anaconda coil , looks like a anaconda swallowed a goat!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
@raymo2u if it makes you feel any better The one they sent me was not the one in the pic it's black it barely fits in the drill:(.

Sent from the lab in my basement of vapement
If it fits in it that alone would be usable...none of the ones I have even remotely could be pushed into the chuck...

CrazyChef

Custom Hand Crafted Coils - PureCoils.com
VU Vendor
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Chef why dont you try your hand at a Hybrid?
Because (with the exception of polished coils) I try to stick with builds that have specific functions. I can't see any real benefits to hybrid coils.

Your skills with Alien/Stitching/Interlock Wrapping would be a great advantage and you could seriously make some shit that rivals Gautch/Ekg and others...
Thank you! :D

Boattlebot

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Here are some 550lbs swivels...LINK
If you use KA1 and KD you wont have resistance issues, if you use N80 for the cores you may run into being too low. I suggest not going under .08 on a parallel box.
I just use walmart swiviels. They last a month and i replace them. maby one day ill drop 40$ on some swivels

Boattlebot

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
First try at something Corrugated (Is it the first for this forum?)...Ill get this down, I just need more Ribbon...This coil came out like shit when I wrapped it since all I had was .8 KA1 ribbon and I have some .3 N80 Ribbon on its way...Im sure it will be 100x's times better with the .3 N80 Ribbon...
I am out of Ribbon again....I need a damn Wire Sponser!!!

Dont buy .8 or .9 Ribbon, especially if its KA1 Ribbon....Its garbage and its hard to do anything with it...
View attachment 46600 View attachment 46602 View attachment 46603 View attachment 46601
Dude, thats awesome

MidwestExpress

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Plug weld the handle then take it down with a lathe

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk
That is what I'm planning on doing. Taking it to the machine shop at work and have them weld a bar into it and then put it on the lathe to take it down to where it needs to be.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

Poppa (K)

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I find that 40g seems to give a much better flavor than like 32 or 34 g. Seems to wick the juice better also. Plus I just love how clean the claptons come out. Just can't seem to get the color to pop on them tho.
one trick to get colours to pop, is to clean and rinse the coil really good before pulsing. i use a toothbrush and dishsoap.

MidwestExpress

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I think the options we were thinking about would be much faster and done much cleaner then crimping a few sections at a time...and much cheaper.
You need one of those big hand crank deals they use to flatten or put ridges in pennies. Haha

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

blakemorder

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
@Schmucko you were correct, staggered aliens are completely impossible, the amount of precision needed to keep the alien wrap tight and in the grooves is impossible. I made like three 1/8" sections the actually looked like something out of 6 inches of damn wire

Schmucko

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
@Schmucko you were correct, staggered aliens are completely impossible, the amount of precision needed to keep the alien wrap tight and in the grooves is impossible. I made like three 1/8" sections the actually looked like something out of 6 inches of damn wire
Not impossible, just not easy by any means. And infuriating...

blakemorder

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Not impossible, just not easy by any means. And infuriating...

Very, getting the alien tight enough to slide in the groves made it stretch too far and if it wasn't far enough itd bunch up. I'll give it one more go tomorrow when im calm with 36/40 instead of just 36 and see if that works. At least I learned how to do a regular stagger fuse out of all this.

Schmucko

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Very, getting the alien tight enough to slide in the groves made it stretch too far and if it wasn't far enough itd bunch up. I'll give it one more go tomorrow when im calm with 36/40 instead of just 36 and see if that works. At least I learned how to do a regular stagger fuse out of all this.
Like i suggested, make the stagger gap wider than your alien wrap. Is that what you did?

blakemorder

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Like i suggested, make the stagger gap wider than your alien wrap. Is that what you did?

No not this time, I wanted to try it and see how it would go and what I could do to try and make it work. I usually don't do the easy " get used to it" wraps, I just jump right to gauge I want to use, and I really wanted that slick uniform gauge look on the stagger.

Mythical_OD

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
So Im goin out tomorrow to get a coil building/wrapping set up. Id like to have a list of shit I need to grab so I can just clear everything in one shot instead of having to make half a dozen trips in the middle of building to pick something up I forgot about. So, what do I need to grab? I already have a cordless drill to actually do the winding/wrapping, but I need basically everything else I guess.

Hopefully yall can help me out with a list. Appreciate it

blakemorder

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
So Im goin out tomorrow to get a coil building/wrapping set up. Id like to have a list of shit I need to grab so I can just clear everything in one shot instead of having to make half a dozen trips in the middle of building to pick something up I forgot about. So, what do I need to grab? I already have a cordless drill to actually do the winding/wrapping, but I need basically everything else I guess.

The youde coil jig v2 if you have a b&m nearby.
If not a set of small bits/screwdrivers,
micro flush cutters,
toothless pliers needlenose,
ball bearing fishing swivels,
a clamp or vice to clamp the swivels down,
Nylon tipped pliers,
And wire...lots of wire
If there's a harbor freight nearby you can pick up most of what you need there.

Mythical_OD

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Well I have the Coilmaster V2 full kit and a 521 tab and all that basic actual building supplies, Im more asking about a list for stuff for actually making my own specialty wire instead of rolling and installing my own coils. Its a hard thing to put into type I guess, because building coils and wrapping coils and all the other terms are usually interchangeable between just wrapping regular kanthal coils around a jig and stacking n wrapping staple wire. But Im asking for the actual building of the wire itself.

mach1ne

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
@Mythical_OD i grabbed that kit too. the only stuff left over for me so far has been a drill, swivels, hammer and little anvil. maybe a clamp or something to hold your swivels if you dont have a setup already in mind (i can hook mine to part of my monitor stand so i do that). im thinking of grabbing a small vise next, but thats mostly 'just in case' i havnt actually required one to do anything yet.

JERUS

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Well I have the Coilmaster V2 full kit and a 521 tab and all that basic actual building supplies, Im more asking about a list for stuff for actually making my own specialty wire instead of rolling and installing my own coils. Its a hard thing to put into type I guess, because building coils and wrapping coils and all the other terms are usually interchangeable between just wrapping regular kanthal coils around a jig and stacking n wrapping staple wire. But Im asking for the actual building of the wire itself.
Easy mode, get yourself a set of ball bearing swivels, fishing tackle shops should have them as well as some other places. Make sure they're ball bearing and have a good rating for tension.

For those you'll need something to secure them. Personally I simply drilled a hole in my desk and put a screw in it, I can take it out when I want it out of the way and put it back in when I need it, but some people don't want to screw up their desks so they get clamps and a board to screw their securing mechanism into. Your choice on that, but you need something to secure the swivels to.

After that, basic tools you need.

Some pliers, flat non toothed pliers are what you want, and you'll want 2 if you want to make more complex things as it greatly helps to get the twists out of multi core wires.

Ceramic tweezers, this is a godsend for getting the hotspots out and installing your coil in general, I'd say a must have.

Flush wire cutters, they're the angled ones that will cut right where you press it into leaving little to no excess, might cost a tad more than typical wire cutters but ohh so worth it.

You have your ohmmeter (and likely the rest of this stuff).

Something to wrap around, precision screwdrivers, coilmaster, or really any round object in the 2-4mm diameter range.

Drill... you got it from what I'm reading ( I know you have a lot of this stuff just going over the list).

Scissors for your wicking material.

I believe thats' all the necessities, there are some more things you can grab that could be beneficial (vise, hammer, polishing clothes/paper, etc) but when I wrap a coil I think that's all I take out of my box. For staples, maybe add tape to that list if you go with that method, there's quite a few ways to do that as I understand.

Outside the kit you bought I imagine the Drill, Tape, and Swivels would be all that you'd need to pick up. And while technically the drill isn't necessary I'd say it's the only one you should almost absolutely have out of that bunch (you can freehand without swivels and tape isn't required at all, but a drill, god it makes things immeasurably easier).

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor

I posted this in the thread about 10 pages back:
EVERYTHING possibly useful or needed for making coils, these are the exact tools I use...Ive gone through alot of tools and most either broke or weren't decent quality and these did the job and still do. If you can find the same thing for cheaper then grab it, you can always upgrade later on.

Ebay Links:
Nylon Pliers LINK
Strong Swivels LINK
Ceramic Tweezers LINK
My Favorite Coil Jig! LINK
Wire Bundle, Kanthal 22g-36g LINK
Wire Bundle, N80 26g/28g/32g/34g/36g LINK
38g Kanthal D 1000ft for $8 LINK

Home Depot links:
Toothless Needle Nose PliersLINK
Flush Cutters LINK
Vise LINK

Most expensive piece of the set, the Drill..
Cordless Drill with decent RPM speeds LINK

Last edited:

Mythical_OD

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Thanks guys, appreciate it. Gonna go hit the stores today and pick some stuff up. The whole thing that spurred my finally getting it going was wanting to use fused claptons in my Noisy Cricket, but the wire I have was too big to get the ohm where I want it. So either gotta build it with higher gauge, or suck it up and use something else. And I dont suck (ba dum). Plus, I always wanted to make some staples.

thermo289

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year

Like this:
View attachment 46617 View attachment 46619 View attachment 46618 View attachment 46620

Slash 4x4?

VU Sponsors