Post your builds

CrazyChef

Custom Hand Crafted Coils - PureCoils.com
VU Vendor
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
No, it's different. The physics are different. If you put a drop or 2 of juice on one end of an alien coil, it will actually travel the full spiral to the other end of the coil without any wick. On a fused Clapton, the juice will succumb to gravity, and nothing else. For some reason that I'm unaware of, that also affects to flavor in a positive manner.

mcrazzle54

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I made some naked coragated wire. My first try trying to decide if I should Clapton it or not. I think I might try staggering or just wrap it around a 3mm driver as is and throw it in one of my RDA's. Well here's the wire. I'll put some pics of it coiled up when I decide what to do with it. But not bad imo for my first shot at this type of build. I used a chip bag clip to Cora. It let me know what you all think

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    493.3 KB · Views: 31

Iliketurtles

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I made some naked coragated wire. My first try trying to decide if I should Clapton it or not. I think I might try staggering or just wrap it around a 3mm driver as is and throw it in one of my RDA's. Well here's the wire. I'll put some pics of it coiled up when I decide what to do with it. But not bad imo for my first shot at this type of build. I used a chip bag clip to Cora. It let me know what you all think

Good luck coiling it :)

Iliketurtles

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I wish I could tell you something helpful, maybe Ray has some kind of tips. I know if I tried that it would end up in the trash every time :headbang:

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
I wish I could tell you something helpful, maybe Ray has some kind of tips. I know if I tried that it would end up in the trash every time :headbang:
Ive had better results when pulling the coil around and not rolling it...Its hard to explain, like how when you wrap a Fused Clapton it like to round when your wrapping from the end of the wire...This makes is so they are pulled too much out of their wavy pattern...Im still learning though...

Thanks to @CrazyChef and @scarecrowjenkins I finally tried the Aliens again and this time it came out half decent...Out of a 16" wire I only messed up 3 wraps, from moving a paperclip and accidentally bumping the paperclip with the wrap...
Here are the fruits of my labor...I will be trying 40g Alien wrap next...
3 x 26N80/36N80 Aliens (6 Wraps/3mm ID)

20160410_143515.jpg 20160410_143436.jpg 20160410_143855.jpg 20160410_152304.jpg 20160410_152247.jpg 20160410_152236.jpg 20160410_152220.jpg 20160410_152431.jpg

Last edited:

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Damn, Ray - that's lookin' pretty good!
I really want to get it nice and close together like those Alien Fraples you sent me...I dont want the space in between the wraps...Im guessing a higher gauge outer wrap will solve that.
I have been stretching the wrap way too much, this time I barely stretched it and let it stretch more when I was wrapping it and I even wrapped it at my drills full speed. Now that I know how far to stretch it I will be working on this to get them above where they are now...I can admit though, I was pretty damn impressed with myself and the feeling of accomplishment made me feeling floaty and happy for a good 20 minutes :bliss:

Last edited:

mcrazzle54

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Yeah they look great Ray! I know what you mean about not rolling it kinda just let it fall over the driver. I'll give it a shot and let you know the results. Thanks everyone

mcrazzle54

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Well back to the drawing board with that idea. The ribbon completely collapsed on the first try. But the wire did look nice. Next time I'll try wrapping it with some 32 g n80 and see how that works. I'm also wondering if you could clapton the the ribbon first then coragate it would that hold the shape when you go to coil it up.

MR.G.

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Ive had better results when pulling the coil around and not rolling it...Its hard to explain, like how when you wrap a Fused Clapton it like to round when your wrapping from the end of the wire...This makes is so they are pulled too much out of their wavy pattern...Im still learning though...

Thanks to @CrazyChef and @scarecrowjenkins I finally tried the Aliens again and this time it came out half decent...Out of a 16" wire I only messed up 3 wraps, from moving a paperclip and accidentally bumping the paperclip with the wrap...
Here are the fruits of my labor...I will be trying 40g Alien wrap next...
3 x 36N80/36N80 Aliens (6 Wraps/3mm ID)

View attachment 46858 View attachment 46859 View attachment 46856 View attachment 46860 View attachment 46861 View attachment 46855 View attachment 46857 View attachment 46854

Nice consistent wraps! did you make a typo on the 3x 36 cus the cores look thicker

CrazyChef

VU Vendor
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
So I decided to try one of those wide staple coils I keep seeing. I gotta start putting these on a usable atty so I can try them out...

20x0.4KA1/40N80, 3.5mm ID, 0.12Ω

2016-04-10 16.32.50.jpg
1.jpg
2.jpg

Last edited:

MR.G.

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I havent been able to build anything sexy for a few weeks now and seems like i still have a couple more yet to go before i can, me and the family are stuck in a hotel/holiday resort LOL, i have all my gear here with me, even my diy juice gear, its impossible to do anything with two kids under four running around

blakemorder

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Sorry for pic quality, I was building until 2am to get mine an my gf's setups ready for the vape con and after 8 hours of unsuccessful builds I wasn't in the mood. I ended up running out of ribbon and having it twist so my staple stagger fused really disappointed me. The stitched aliens would only fit in my goon so I staged them with 24, also a disappointment, horrible Vape off these. And I ran out of 36 and 38 so I've got nothing for a while either.
Ruined staple stagger single
991fe9c85d1edaeccde8e4e027e22d41.jpg

3d7f6fe129ccb873aafdb76fcfc3180a.jpg

Stitched aliens, 28/36/40n80 24k very low build warning .08
c6fda57d35a1d9a3c2c1dba84b107dd4.jpg
b5f0453dbcfd5c145c41ad83b599d391.jpg

It was a better day today though, suicide bunny was giving away all three lines of juice for free, and I bought another 300 ish ml of "premium" juice for almost nothing. For anyone thinking about going to one of these do it they're a bunch of fun and you get to meet some of the people behind the juices.
The haul
82db43b398499417dc09ad0b2eb6e9e5.jpg

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Sorry to hear that blake...that does suck.

So I tried using 3 x 28N80/40N80 (6 Wrap/2.5mm ID) for the next Aliens I did and I have learned to cut down to only what I need for 2 coils...From now on when doing aliens I will give myself a bit more room with wire. I only messed up once but decided to make coils with the length anyways. Again a first try with 40g but second Alien attempt (more like 8th but who's counting!) I may just use 38g and practice my groove and speed, it seem to work best for me using the drill at full tilt, any slower and I have time to over think things and screw up...
Bad quality since my lighting sucks in my house...
20160410_201729.jpg 20160410_201721.jpg 20160410_201708.jpg

And here's the shots that show the problem:
20160410_201840.jpg 20160410_201816.jpg 20160410_201851.jpg

Attachments

• 20160410_201847.jpg
    20160410_201847.jpg
    196.6 KB · Views: 23

CrazyChef

VU Vendor
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
That's from understretching. You can actually understretch on purpose and run the whole length like that. I've heard it referred to as a Prometheus coil before.

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
That's from understretching. You can actually understretch on purpose and run the whole length like that. I've heard it referred to as a Prometheus coil before.
Yea the "Mohawk Aliens" it actually slipped out of my fingers for that bit...Ill develop a routine but Im atleast feeling more positive now about it....before today I didnt even want to try to make them and out of seeing you and scarecrow posting your work I decided to give it another go and Im glad I did...Its great getting something like this done! I just hope I can get things like the Corrugated stuff down and then implement it all together....

I actually saw someone pull off that Mohawk and then make another run them parallel having them faced together like teeth...it looked sick
12383423_125902371135656_937127100_n.jpg

blakemorder

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Sorry to hear that blake...that does suck.

So I tried using 3 x 28N80/40N80 (6 Wrap/2.5mm ID) for the next Aliens I did and I have learned to cut down to only what I need for 2 coils...From now on when doing aliens I will give myself a bit more room with wire. I only messed up once but decided to make coils with the length anyways. Again a first try with 40g but second Alien attempt (more like 8th but who's counting!) I may just use 38g and practice my groove and speed, it seem to work best for me using the drill at full tilt, any slower and I have time to over think things and screw up...
Bad quality since my lighting sucks in my house...
View attachment 46901 View attachment 46904 View attachment 46905

And here's the shots that show the problem:
View attachment 46906 View attachment 46902 View attachment 46903
Ehh just another day building lol. they had a machine at the event that wrapped fused claptons and such, it was neat to watch it work. Those aliens look nice for your first attempt with 40g! mine looked worse than that and I've been build them for months. 36 and 38 are alot easier, I honestly prefer 38 as it is easier to correct the stretch as your wrapping

Vesuvius

OG
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
So, I am really enjoying doing these builds. So far its just been some Claptons and Fused Claptons. After seeing the builds you guys are doing, I really want to try some harder stuff. Definitely some Aliens, Staple, what are Fraples lol.

The wire I have on hand is 24g, 26g Kanthal. 28g 316L and a few lengths of 26/36 Clapton and 24/34 Fused Clapton I have already made. I think I need to get some 34g and some ribbon to make some of these coils I am seeing.

Is there anything I can try with what I have or do I need to wait and get some ribbon and some smaller wire? Really appreciate the input and help so far.

Vesuvius

OG
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Yea the "Mohawk Aliens" it actually slipped out of my fingers for that bit...Ill develop a routine but Im atleast feeling more positive now about it....before today I didnt even want to try to make them and out of seeing you and scarecrow posting your work I decided to give it another go and Im glad I did...Its great getting something like this done! I just hope I can get things like the Corrugated stuff down and then implement it all together....

I actually saw someone pull off that Mohawk and then make another run them parallel having them faced together like teeth...it looked sick
12383423_125902371135656_937127100_n.jpg
Dude, that is really awesome!!

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
So, I am really enjoying doing these builds. So far its just been some Claptons and Fused Claptons. After seeing the builds you guys are doing, I really want to try some harder stuff. Definitely some Aliens, Staple, what are Fraples lol.

The wire I have on hand is 24g, 26g Kanthal. 28g 316L and a few lengths of 26/36 Clapton and 24/34 Fused Clapton I have already made. I think I need to get some 34g and some ribbon to make some of these coils I am seeing.

Is there anything I can try with what I have or do I need to wait and get some ribbon and some smaller wire? Really appreciate the input and help so far.
Buy all of this...2 of each bundle should set you up for a good while! Fraples are Framed Staples...just spliced as one word. Hope to see some nice builds!
Wire Bundle, Kanthal 22g-36g LINK
Wire Bundle, N80 26g/28g/32g/34g/36g LINK
38g Kanthal D 1000ft for $8 LINK

Last edited:

Vesuvius

OG
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Buy all of this...2 of each bundle should set you up for a good while! Fraples are Framed Staples...just spliced as one word. Hope to see some nice builds!
Wire Bundle, Kanthal 22g-36g LINK
Wire Bundle, N80 26g/28g/32g/34g/36g LINK
38g Kanthal D 1000ft for $8 LINK
Thanks for the links!! What for ribbon do you guys use the most?

BrattVapes

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
My first runs with ribbon I bought .4. I might buy .3 next time, but haven't had any issues with the size of .4 - just issues actually building with ribbon - ha!

Ray man those aliens look great. Being honest, I haven't gotten dual coil aliens to come out "perfect" since jumping from 34 to 38. Those look great, have you vaped em?

I have 4 or 5 attys loaded up and I've rotated all of them tonight... I can't find a comfortable vape all of a sudden. Just feeling of "meh". Might rebuild. Might not. Idk. I need new juices, but you know. That costs $$ lol.

Matt

RedheadedBStarD

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Working on a fused clapton/braid hybrid variation I haven't seen right now. Probably the hardest coil I've ever wrapped. I'll post my success, or failure later this evening regardless of outcome.

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
My first runs with ribbon I bought .4. I might buy .3 next time, but haven't had any issues with the size of .4 - just issues actually building with ribbon - ha!

Ray man those aliens look great. Being honest, I haven't gotten dual coil aliens to come out "perfect" since jumping from 34 to 38. Those look great, have you vaped em?

I have 4 or 5 attys loaded up and I've rotated all of them tonight... I can't find a comfortable vape all of a sudden. Just feeling of "meh". Might rebuild. Might not. Idk. I need new juices, but you know. That costs $$ lol.

Matt
Vaping them right now...I bent the screwed up parts to cover the open wrap area and so it couldnt touch anything else...great stuff!

This is .3 Ribbon, then .4 Ribbon, then .5 ribbon Framed Staples
20160314_155246.jpg20160301_133126.jpg 20160316_110417.jpg

This is a .8 Ribbon Framed Staple...almost double the size of the 26g Frames...it was sooo stiff wrapping them. If your outer wrap isnt tight it will warp and fold and sometimes the outer wrap can fracture from its rigidity.

20160402_165938.jpg
I found some really wide Ribbon I wanted to get but its $40/100ft but it comes in sizes like 1/16", 3/32", 1/8"...could make some crazy shit with that!
I have a ton of .3 Ribbon coming tomorrow...I really want to make some Alien framed Staples and a Alien Staple Hybrid afterwards....I need more 36g/38g/40g to get some practice in!

Last edited:

Mythical_OD

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
So I finally, FINALLY got my shit together long enough to give this coil building shit a try.

Went to Dicks and found some ball bearing swivels (got sizes 5 and 3, does size matter?), charged up the drill, clamped my old vice to a table and went at it. First just to see how wire acts while twisting I just twisted a couple pieces of 24 together, then doubled it over on itself and twisted it again to make a uber thick hive wire.

Then I tried my actual purpose for the whole thing, which was a fused clapton. I guess I just like to jump right in without really fucking around with all this beginners easy bullshit. But first thing I found, was that something was strange with either the swivel set up or the drill itself (more likely the swivels) because what would happen was every couple inches the wire would break off right at the drill chuck. Im guessing the swivels arent swiveling good enough (thats a word lol) and its creating tension at the point of contact with the drill and breaking. So opinions on that would be helpful and appreciated.

So after failing miserably with the vice/swivel set up, I just free handed it. Drill in one hand, cores and wrap wire in the other. I had my pointer and thumb in an "O" shape with the wrap wire pinched between them and the cores resting on the index finger. It worked ok. Obviously my first time ever wrapping a coil, it didnt turn out pretty...at all. But out of about a 2 foot section of wrapped wire Ive got about a foot and a half that is usable. When the wire doubled up on itself I just said fuck it and kept going, and after the first 6 inches I figured out how to keep it from doubling up. But since I didnt have swivels and had the cores resting on my finger, they got a little twisted from the friction of spinning on something, so its just a little twisted, but no biggie. And theres spots were it got a little spaced out because of reasons. But all in all, most of it is usable wire and Im definitely gonna use it at some point.

Doing this though definitely gave me new found respect for the skill and all the insane and crazy looking coils that get posted here. Once you try it yourself, you kind of realize how hard it is to get those wraps tight and perfectly spaced like get posted here all the time. Yall definitely got skills. But Ill get back at it, Im a little bit of a perfectionist, so Im either gonna A) Work at it until I get the shit right, or B) Throw the drill out the window and give up, or C) Burn down my apartment in anger and go on a shooting spree.

The FBI is probably watching me already, so please FBI guy, dont arrest me, that was a joke. Im not gonna go on a shooting spree. Not with a real gun at least.......JOKING

RedheadedBStarD

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Ok so here it is. No idea what to call this thing. Parallel 28g N80 with a 36g N80 2 loop vertebraid claptoning the spaced inner 3-4 loops. Parallels on the sides are a bit janky, the claptoning isn't consistent, and it got a little coloring when I was trying to clean the parallel sections up so I decided to just fully color before taking pics. 2mm ID and measures 1.0 ohms.

G6yvCgu.jpgl

Jl7rTo6.jpgl

H8AFvh1.jpgl

Naming ideas?

Last edited:

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
So I finally, FINALLY got my shit together long enough to give this coil building shit a try.

Went to Dicks and found some ball bearing swivels (got sizes 5 and 3, does size matter?), charged up the drill, clamped my old vice to a table and went at it. First just to see how wire acts while twisting I just twisted a couple pieces of 24 together, then doubled it over on itself and twisted it again to make a uber thick hive wire.

Then I tried my actual purpose for the whole thing, which was a fused clapton. I guess I just like to jump right in without really fucking around with all this beginners easy bullshit. But first thing I found, was that something was strange with either the swivel set up or the drill itself (more likely the swivels) because what would happen was every couple inches the wire would break off right at the drill chuck. Im guessing the swivels arent swiveling good enough (thats a word lol) and its creating tension at the point of contact with the drill and breaking. So opinions on that would be helpful and appreciated.

So after failing miserably with the vice/swivel set up, I just free handed it. Drill in one hand, cores and wrap wire in the other. I had my pointer and thumb in an "O" shape with the wrap wire pinched between them and the cores resting on the index finger. It worked ok. Obviously my first time ever wrapping a coil, it didnt turn out pretty...at all. But out of about a 2 foot section of wrapped wire Ive got about a foot and a half that is usable. When the wire doubled up on itself I just said fuck it and kept going, and after the first 6 inches I figured out how to keep it from doubling up. But since I didnt have swivels and had the cores resting on my finger, they got a little twisted from the friction of spinning on something, so its just a little twisted, but no biggie. And theres spots were it got a little spaced out because of reasons. But all in all, most of it is usable wire and Im definitely gonna use it at some point.

Doing this though definitely gave me new found respect for the skill and all the insane and crazy looking coils that get posted here. Once you try it yourself, you kind of realize how hard it is to get those wraps tight and perfectly spaced like get posted here all the time. Yall definitely got skills. But Ill get back at it, Im a little bit of a perfectionist, so Im either gonna A) Work at it until I get the shit right, or B) Throw the drill out the window and give up, or C) Burn down my apartment in anger and go on a shooting spree.

The FBI is probably watching me already, so please FBI guy, dont arrest me, that was a joke. Im not gonna go on a shooting spree. Not with a real gun at least.......JOKING

I may someday though^ Fuck the FBI...

If your wire is breaking during wrapping something is wrong, Im guessing the wire used for outer wrap is too thick and the amount of pressure your using while wrapping it was too much for the core. You shouldnt need much more resistance then holding the spool pinching 2 fingers, and you want to hold the spool around 6" away from the wire and have it slightly behind where its being wrapped. If you lead your spacing will be spread out, if your behind too far it will double back on itself. Once you find where to hold it you can turn the drill up and it will wrap itself if using gauges like 36g-40g, anything lower and the cores can break from the drill...

Try some 2x26g or 2x24g Cores and use 36g or 38g for outer wrap...this should make it easier on your drill/wires and you will have something that doesnt break and wraps easily.

VU Sponsors