Become a Patron!

Post your builds

Mythical_OD

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Ahh, you did it afterwards lol, sanded straight through there at the bottom right.

When I first learned of polished coils, I had the thought of using my fret polishing kit (basically sanding pads from something like 800 up to 12000) on a single length of wire. Just folding the pad up on the wire and maybe doing a pass on each grit level. For my frets they work amazingly, they get mirror polished and smooooooooooothh.

Mythical_OD

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Tried to wrap up some more wire. I kind of got the feel for how to keep the wrap tight (or tightish) and not having much issue with it overlapping, but still getting some spacing issues. I figure a little more practice and I should get the hang of it.

But the problem still remains, after an inch or 2 of wrapping the wire breaks off at the chuck. Im not understanding. Im watching the swivels and the wire, and the swivels are swiveling and the wire isnt twisting anywhere to indicate that its not spinning freely. Dunno what the hell is going on but Im getting frustrated with it. Its impossible to get more than 2 inches of wrapped wire without it breaking off, and once it breaks off it ruins the wrap where ever its wrapping at. So I gotta start over and then after another inch or 2, it breaks off again.

Anyone have to deal with this issue? Dont think its the swivels because they spin freely. Ive got 4 swivels with the little loop/eye clamp things attached.set up, with the first being clamped in a vice attached to my table, then I either loop or tie the core wire to the last swivels eyelet and put the other end into the drill and clamp it down. Im not using a lot of tension in the wire while wrapping, its pulled about straight with just the lightest bit of slack. Maybe someone can help me out with it, Id appreciate it.

But heres a pic of the fused clapton I was doin before it broke. dual 28 core and 32 wrap, all kanthal.

33p5uzp.jpg

CrazyChef

Custom Hand Crafted Coils - PureCoils.com
VU Vendor
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Did you get the swivels with the ball bearings in them? It makes a HUGE difference.

Mythical_OD

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yup, theyre ball bearing swivels from the sporting good store. Theyre Eagle Claw Lazer Sharp sz 5s with the interlock snap (the clamp/loop thing I was describing). They spin freely and like I said, the wire isnt twisting as its spinning, not noticeably anyways, which would be easy to see with a dual core.

JERUS

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Tried to wrap up some more wire. I kind of got the feel for how to keep the wrap tight (or tightish) and not having much issue with it overlapping, but still getting some spacing issues. I figure a little more practice and I should get the hang of it.

But the problem still remains, after an inch or 2 of wrapping the wire breaks off at the chuck. Im not understanding. Im watching the swivels and the wire, and the swivels are swiveling and the wire isnt twisting anywhere to indicate that its not spinning freely. Dunno what the hell is going on but Im getting frustrated with it. Its impossible to get more than 2 inches of wrapped wire without it breaking off, and once it breaks off it ruins the wrap where ever its wrapping at. So I gotta start over and then after another inch or 2, it breaks off again.

Anyone have to deal with this issue? Dont think its the swivels because they spin freely. Ive got 4 swivels with the little loop/eye clamp things attached.set up, with the first being clamped in a vice attached to my table, then I either loop or tie the core wire to the last swivels eyelet and put the other end into the drill and clamp it down. Im not using a lot of tension in the wire while wrapping, its pulled about straight with just the lightest bit of slack. Maybe someone can help me out with it, Id appreciate it.

But heres a pic of the fused clapton I was doin before it broke. dual 28 core and 32 wrap, all kanthal.

33p5uzp.jpg
I have that issue as well, but I just account for it, I don't start the true wrap until a good inch down the line now, just some very spaced securing wraps then start where I want. It's not a couple inches for me, it'll happen more or less about every coils worth (I typically do 3 coils worth of wire at a time when I use the swivels, then take the best lengths for the coils).

What I think is the cause is tension. Either not enough or too much, I'm not sure. I think it's the wobble in the wire and that pinch point simply getting weak. So maybe a combination of the two, leaving it too loose at times getting wobble then applying too much and snapping it. Either way I've worked around it plenty of times by just giving myself that gap to simply re-bend the end and re-insert it into the chuck and continue.

Mythical_OD

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
wow I didnt even think about the wire bouncing and that contact point being the stress point for it. That makes a lot of sense. Im gonna keep trying tomorrow and really pay attention to whats happening before it ends up breaking. But yea, I guess if I just started the coil a few inches up the wire Ill have plenty to reset it after it breaks without getting into the coil. The only thing with that is, when it breaks it obviously drops off and that causes the wrap wire to move all around and it makes it impossible to start it right where it left off. Ill have to figure something out. Maybe Ill try more and less swivels, more and less tensoin, etc. Gonna get this right if it kills me.

JERUS

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
wow I didnt even think about the wire bouncing and that contact point being the stress point for it. That makes a lot of sense. Im gonna keep trying tomorrow and really pay attention to whats happening before it ends up breaking. But yea, I guess if I just started the coil a few inches up the wire Ill have plenty to reset it after it breaks without getting into the coil. The only thing with that is, when it breaks it obviously drops off and that causes the wrap wire to move all around and it makes it impossible to start it right where it left off. Ill have to figure something out. Maybe Ill try more and less swivels, more and less tensoin, etc. Gonna get this right if it kills me.
Just unwind the little bit of messed up stuff, and start slow and ramp it up again. That's what I do. while I don't have many perfect builds they are plenty good to vape with and some do come out right even with those snaps.

blakemorder

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Are you putting tension on your cores while your wrapping? Try pulling slightly on the drill to pick up the slack, I've got a feeling your cores are hitting the edge of the chuck and snapping them, I can't see you pulling hard enough to snap two pieces of 28g

Vesuvius

OG
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I used 3...ensuring the wraps would come out in the perfect sized space and the wire travels through those guides (the loops) and then is left in that position.

Boreas RTA shits on everything Ive had so far...
This is deck #1
View attachment 47115

Deck #2:
View attachment 47116

Wicks like a dream and more airflow then the Griffin and it hits the coils dead on...and the decks are plug and play.
Yea, lovin mine!

CrazyChef

VU Vendor
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Here's what I do - hopefully it helps.
What I like to do is wrap the Clapton wire around the threads of an eyehook and put that into into the drill chuck. Then I double up the core wire, hook the loose ends to the swivels and hook the looped end to the eyehook in the drill chuck. It works great for me so far.
The coil pic is the same exact wire shown in the wire pics.

2016-04-12 10.55.23.jpg
2016-04-12 10.57.03.jpg
2016-04-12 11.06.33.jpg

CrazyChef

VU Vendor
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
So, I decided to put a new build in the Nobunaga. Decided on a lightly hammered staged alien.
3x28K/38N, staged with 24g SS316L for a decent ramp up. It's going on a parallel mech.
3.0mm ID, 4/5 wraps, 0.12Ω

There's a few screw ups, but it's not for a customer so I don't care. Vapor production is great, flavor is okay. The Nobunaga leans a little heavier on clouds than flavor. This build would have better flavor in an atty with a smaller chamber. Maybe even the Griffin would have been a better choice.

i also used cellu-cotton wick for the first time, courtesy of @BenJammin - Me Likey!

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg 5.jpg

Last edited:

itsmenotyou

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
So, I decided to put a new build in the Nobunaga. Decided on a lightly hammered staged alien.
3x28K/38N, staged with 24g SS316L for a decent ramp up. It's going on a parallel mech.

There's a few screw ups, but it's not for a customer so I don't care. Vapor production is great, flavor is okay. The Nobunaga leans a little heavier on clouds than flavor.

View attachment 47192 View attachment 47194 View attachment 47193 View attachment 47196 View attachment 47195
I see my comment moved you enough to go ahead and do a lightly hammered build today
that's freaking beautiful like always man!

sent from a dumb operated smart phone

itsmenotyou

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year

There's a few screw ups, but it's not for a customer so I don't care. Vapor production is great, flavor is okay. The Nobunaga leans a little heavier on clouds than flavor. This build would have better flavor in an atty with a smaller chamber. Maybe even the Griffin would have been a better choice.

i also used cellu-cotton wick for the first time, courtesy of @BenJammin - Me Likey!

View attachment 47192 View attachment 47194 View attachment 47193 View attachment 47196 View attachment 47195
One other point I must make. WHAT FUCKING INPERFECTIONS? Lmao

sent from a dumb operated smart phone

BenJammin

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years

Glad you're enjoying it man!

AnthonyLouis

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
I used 3...ensuring the wraps would come out in the perfect sized space and the wire travels through those guides (the loops) and then is left in that position.

Boreas RTA shits on everything Ive had so far...
This is deck #1
View attachment 47115

Deck #2:
View attachment 47116

Wicks like a dream and more airflow then the Griffin and it hits the coils dead on...and the decks are plug and play.
Mind taking a picture next time, or doing one of your little drawings to explain better? I'm trying to picture what ur saying but not having any luck

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

CrazyChef

VU Vendor
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I had a little success with some 46 gauge a while back, but haven't gotten around to trying again yet.

BrattVapes

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Anyone got a video on the loop method?

I will be rebuilding all my atomizers tomorrow...

Got enough varying wires to do something different and fun for all of them, a series Mech mod (NC), a parallel box, and a regulated device.

Petri V2. Twisted Messes OG (thanks so much Ray!). Griffin RTA. Velocity. Mutation

Anyone wanna shoot me an idea or favorite for any of those!?!

Matt

CrazyChef

VU Vendor
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
This is from early February. Attempted a high gauge alien framed staple. Failed miserably.
10x0.4mm ribbon framed with 28g, alien Claptoned with 46g. Maybe with a little practice...2016-02-06 13.16.41.jpg 2016-02-06 13.52.27.jpg 2016-02-06 13.53.16.jpg 2016-02-06 13.54.02-1.jpg 2016-02-06 13.54.10.jpg

Last edited:

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Anyone got a video on the loop method?

I will be rebuilding all my atomizers tomorrow...

Got enough varying wires to do something different and fun for all of them, a series Mech mod (NC), a parallel box, and a regulated device.

Petri V2. Twisted Messes OG (thanks so much Ray!). Griffin RTA. Velocity. Mutation

Anyone wanna shoot me an idea or favorite for any of those!?!

Matt
082023735d8a466afda11e6b466c02f0.png

Last edited:

Mythical_OD

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Here's what I do - hopefully it helps.
What I like to do is wrap the Clapton wire around the threads of an eyehook and put that into into the drill chuck. Then I double up the core wire, hook the loose ends to the swivels and hook the looped end to the eyehook in the drill chuck. It works great for me so far.
The coil pic is the same exact wire shown in the wire pics.

Well, problem solved :D

Slapped an eyehook in the chuck and tied the wire to that and finally was able to wrap the whole thing without having it break every inch or 2. Worked damn well. So big thanks for that tip man, appreciate it. Its like the doors opened up to the coil world now that I can wrap a whole wire lol

RedheadedBStarD

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
A little off topic, but does anybody here use a lens reversing ring, or lens to lens coupler for macro shots on their dslr? $10 for a coupler sounds a lot better than a $1000 macro lens to me at the moment.

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
A little off topic, but does anybody here use a lens reversing ring, or lens to lens coupler for macro shots on their dslr? $10 for a coupler sounds a lot better than a $1000 macro lens to me at the moment.
Just buy those Macro phone clips...they work very well. I actually use a cheap Fuji camera from Walmart but I think my Samsung does better shots though...I am going to pick up one of the macro phone kits and a tripod for the phone, hopefully get slightly better pics.

Schmucko

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Just buy those Macro phone clips...they work very well. I actually use a cheap Fuji camera from Walmart but I think my Samsung does better shots though...I am going to pick up one of the macro phone kits and a tripod for the phone, hopefully get slightly better pics.
Thats what i use, not bad for under 20 bucks either

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Ive been pumping them out for no other reason then perfect wrapping and finding the perfect stretch. I noticed there is adjustability within how much can be stretched and still wrap fine. If you stretch it more it will have a "Swoopy wave" and if you dont stretch it as much theres the "Full Alien wave"...I like the "Full Alien Wave much more then the "Rounded Swoopy wave", it almost looks like a Arch Fused Clapton type of Swoop....

I have gotten it so I dont even need support on the 3 Core wires as I wrap a entire 16" length, as long as I hold enough tension on the drill-I can rip at full speed and have atleast 5/6 Aliens pumped out (depending on ID). I feel comfortable enough where I will try Stitched and Interlocking aliens next...as soon as my wire gets in. Before the other day I felt Alien wire was a impossible feat and I looked over everyone builds on here with jealousy and almost a sense of resentment...but I didnt even try after I failed a few times, I feel I was only pushed again after starring at all your pictures and it motivated me to take that step again.

Ive been trying different things, flattening, flattening and polishing, staging and more...I still have alot of work to do and much to learn but Im loving the fact I can sit at the bench knowing that I can have a set made in less then 20 minutes...I never thought it would happen.

20160413_103114.jpg 20160413_103140.jpg 20160413_110005.jpg 20160413_105959.jpg 20160413_105241.jpg 20160413_105249.jpg 20160413_105504.jpg

Schmucko

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Ive been pumping them out for no other reason then perfect wrapping and finding the perfect stretch. I noticed there is adjustability within how much can be stretched and still wrap fine. If you stretch it more it will have a "Swoopy wave" and if you dont stretch it as much theres the "Full Alien wave"...I like the "Full Alien Wave much more then the "Rounded Swoopy wave", it almost looks like a Arch Fused Clapton type of Swoop....

I have gotten it so I dont even need support on the 3 Core wires as I wrap a entire 16" length, as long as I hold enough tension on the drill-I can rip at full speed and have atleast 5/6 Aliens pumped out (depending on ID). I feel comfortable enough where I will try Stitched and Interlocking aliens next...as soon as my wire gets in. Before the other day I felt Alien wire was a impossible feat and I looked over everyone builds on here with jealousy and almost a sense of resentment...but I didnt even try after I failed a few times, I feel I was only pushed again after starring at all your pictures and it motivated me to take that step again.

Ive been trying different things, flattening, flattening and polishing, staging and more...I still have alot of work to do and much to learn but Im loving the fact I can sit at the bench knowing that I can have a set made in less then 20 minutes...I never thought it would happen.

View attachment 47349 View attachment 47347 View attachment 47348 View attachment 47345 View attachment 47343 View attachment 47346 View attachment 47344
Clean af bro

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
I need a better camera :confused:

@CrazyChef How do you take your pics? Ive seen some yesterday the were so close they were practically touching the lens itself and they were crystal clear...:eek:

CrazyChef

VU Vendor
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I use a Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge and a $6 macro lens that I got off of eBay. I just checked, and it isn't available any longer but there are others like it.

Macro Lens.jpg

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
I use a Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge and a $6 macro lens that I got off of eBay. I just checked, and it isn't available any longer but there are others like it.

View attachment 47362
Thank you for the input, I purchased a Clip on type for my S3 and Galaxy Tab Pro...hopefully they take something relatively decent...I was pretty shocked that the DSLR/Macro Lens takes a crappier photo then my S3 without anything on it..

RedheadedBStarD

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year

I have one of those for the shots I've been taking. Just curious for the bump in image quality.

Mythical_OD

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
So on to my next question of frustration. How the hell are you guys stacking this damn ribbon wire on top of each other so perfectly? Ive tried a couple times now and I cant get 2 pieces on top of each other with out shit going crooked and twisted and flipping side ways. And thats just the very ends, never mind whats going on a foot down the line.

Whats the secret there?

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
So on to my next question of frustration. How the hell are you guys stacking this damn ribbon wire on top of each other so perfectly? Ive tried a couple times now and I cant get 2 pieces on top of each other with out shit going crooked and twisted and flipping side ways. And thats just the very ends, never mind whats going on a foot down the line.

Whats the secret there?
Spit on your fingers, run them up the ribbon and then they will stay together.

VU Sponsors