Become a Patron!

Post your builds

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Ok so here it is. No idea what to call this thing. Parallel 28g N80 with a 36g N802 loop vertebraid claptoning the spaced inner 3-4 loops. Parallels on the sides a a bit janky, the claptoning isn't consistent, and it got a little coloring when I was trying to clean the parallel sections up so I decided to just fully color before taking pics. 2mm ID and measures 1.0 ohms.

G6yvCgu.jpgl

Jl7rTo6.jpgl

H8AFvh1.jpgl

Naming ideas?
If they are all the same wire then its a Hybrid, if its 2 different wires setup like that in parallel then thats what it is o_O

RedheadedBStarD

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
The parallel goes end to end. There is 3-4 loops of said parallel claptoned with a 2 loop braid in the middle of it. One continuous coil.

Mythical_OD

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
the thread is called 'post your builds' not 'tell us a story'...pics or it didnt happen ;P

congrats on your first coils dude.

@RedheadedBStarD great color shot and crazy design...

I do what I want, Im a bit of a rebel....dont tell my mom.

I may someday though^ Fuck the FBI...

If your wire is breaking during wrapping something is wrong, Im guessing the wire used for outer wrap is too thick and the amount of pressure your using while wrapping it was too much for the core. You shouldnt need much more resistance then holding the spool pinching 2 fingers, and you want to hold the spool around 6" away from the wire and have it slightly behind where its being wrapped. If you lead your spacing will be spread out, if your behind too far it will double back on itself. Once you find where to hold it you can turn the drill up and it will wrap itself if using gauges like 36g-40g, anything lower and the cores can break from the drill...

Try some 2x26g or 2x24g Cores and use 36g or 38g for outer wrap...this should make it easier on your drill/wires and you will have something that doesnt break and wraps easily.

The wire breaking was the core wire that was chucked in the drill. It was breaking at the chuck and looked really twisted, so Im pretty sure my swivel set up isnt properly working. How do you set up the swivels? Is there a certain way to do it? I do have ball bearing swivels so I dont know whats up.

I was using 28 gauge cores and 34 gauge wrap as thats what I wanted for my Noisy Cricket.

Schmucko

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years

The wire breaking was the core wire that was chucked in the drill. It was breaking at the chuck and looked really twisted, so Im pretty sure my swivel set up isnt properly working. How do you set up the swivels? Is there a certain way to do it? I do have ball bearing swivels so I dont know whats up.

I was using 28 gauge cores and 34 gauge wrap as thats what I wanted for my Noisy Cricket.
Are you just using one swivel? I use 3 linked together, this gives you a failsafe if one swivel binds up on you and it sounds like thats what may be happening. Also, make sure your core wires are centered in the chuck or youll get wobble which will also cause your wires to break

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
The parallel goes end to end. There is 3-4 loops of said parallel claptoned with a 2 loop braid in the middle of it. One continuous coil.
Then thats a Hybrid. Like the coils I posted the other day.

@Mythical_OD you may need heavier duty swivels if they are locking up, I had to grab some 400lbs+ rated swivels for the binding to stop from the force I was exerting on to my drill pulling away. Make sure your using more then a couple swivels in a row, this helps spread out that load also. If you need a link to some stronger swivels Ill post one.
Should be setup like this:
20160321_180410.jpg 20160321_180524.jpg 20160321_180452.jpg 20160321_180357.jpg

mcrazzle54

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I use a lot of swivels for my experience the cores twist less with more swivels here is my setup. Lol does every body use a black and decker drill? And I love that little hobby vise. Makes its easy to bring all my gear in one bag.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    798.4 KB · Views: 28

BrattVapes

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Yikes, I might go make my way to the store today, I've been using swivels a while now, but mine are giving out on me...

If I can find some decent ones - I'll be cranking out some staples or something for the Petri today.

@CrazyChef what is your favorite build so far for the Petri, now that you're actually using it?

I'm thinking maybe 2 core aliens, series build for the NC..

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
I know right...more Aliens...:wait:
Tried some 24N80 Aliens but I think from not stretching the wire enough Im putting too much force on the 3 wires (even with support) that they bunch up...I will play with this a bit more.
20160411_110203.jpg 20160411_105911.jpg

Even Polished some Aliens I made this morning...you can see the difference between the first time I stretched it and then when I stretched it further in the other coil...
20160411_105952.jpg 20160411_105934.jpg 20160411_114337.jpg 20160411_114353.jpg 20160411_114349.jpg 20160411_114414.jpg

CrazyChef

Custom Hand Crafted Coils - PureCoils.com
VU Vendor
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
@BrattVapes
It's been sitting on the Cricket for about 10 days (I think) with a 3x30K/40N alien in it. It vapes great! Hell, I haven't even rewicked it yet - gotta do that today...

CrazyChef

VU Vendor
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
That should work out real well, too.

Mythical_OD

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
word, I was using 2 swivels but Ill try adding another or 2 and see if that helps, well see. Also Ill check out some higher rated ones. The ones I have are 75lb, just some cheap ones from the sporting good store.

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Okay....Got the .3 Ribbon in...Its smaller then I remember it being. Maybe its because Ive been stuck with .6/.8 for the longest time now and I forgot how small this damn Ribbon is. I tried making a Framed Staples with it for the Alleria RTA and some Alien Framed Staples...just because. It didnt work out as well as I hoped it would, the Ribbon is so small it can actually spin in place while its anchored with 38g. I actually got to the point of frustration where I said "Fuck it" and I held it for one turn on the drill and blasted the rest full speed....it actually worked very well somehow.

These things are so small they would suit a derringer and still have a ton of space left around them...could be a viable option for a damn kayfun!
4 x .3R/30KA1/42N80 Framed Staples:
20160411_135426.jpg 20160411_135435.jpg 20160411_135408.jpg

The only thing I pulled off with the Alien Framed Staples:
20160411_140248.jpg

Mounted the Polished aliens in the Goon:

20160411_141914.jpg

and I took a pic of the Coil Graveyard...

20160411_140651.jpg

Last edited:

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Do you foresee a problem with the bars needing replaced? It looks to me like they're bending... Are replacements available?
I thought the same thing but I was told its how I screw the clamps down is whats causing it...well thats what I was told but its happening either way. Your supposed to screw down the screws evenly, I do this but then I have to tighten them or one coil will glow faster or not be secured as well...this is when it bends. They should have made the bars from steel not brass...dumb move, but I will flip them and screw them down to flatten them out at some point...Im sure after a few month of doing so the metal will be weakened to the point of snapping but Ill buy the clones for replacements.

One thing I dont like about the Brass version of the Goon, they didnt not apply a glazing or ceramic coating to the Brass....it has to be refinished every few days or it becomes pretty disgusting looking. If I knew they didnt add any coating I would have gotten a SS version, for the price I dont see how they couldnt of done it.

mcrazzle54

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
They don't look bad Ray it's funny the spacing came out pretty even for just going at it. And the Aliens look great I haven't ventured into that realm yet but I'm sure it's coming.

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
And if you ever wanna clear out your graveyard. I would take em off your hands happily and repurpose em. Just throwing it out there :wave:
Half of those coils Ohm out to around .04-.06...If I did send them I would need proof that you have the capability to fire them without cuasing iunjury to you or people around you...

blakemorder

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I thought the same thing but I was told its how I screw the clamps down is whats causing it...well thats what I was told but its happening either way. Your supposed to screw down the screws evenly, I do this but then I have to tighten them or one coil will glow faster or not be secured as well...this is when it bends. They should have made the bars from steel not brass...dumb move, but I will flip them and screw them down to flatten them out at some point...Im sure after a few month of doing so the metal will be weakened to the point of snapping but Ill buy the clones for replacements.

One thing I dont like about the Brass version of the Goon, they didnt not apply a glazing or ceramic coating to the Brass....it has to be refinished every few days or it becomes pretty disgusting looking. If I knew they didnt add any coating I would have gotten a SS version, for the price I dont see how they couldnt of done it.
I'll be contacting them sometime soon to see if they offer replacement parts, my insulator is crazy soft on mine right now and wiggling around when I build.

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
I'll be contacting them sometime soon to see if they offer replacement parts, my insulator is crazy soft on mine right now and wiggling around when I build.
I had to take the O-ring off the screw for the Negative or it would spin like a loose positive post...with all the issues I find with this RDA I really dont think it was worth the $72 I paid for it. I wont buy another Authentic Goon...I will however buy another Authentic TM Squared as its the opposite story.....I wonder if the goon Clone will be any good. The Negative block should have been milled into the deck, the clamps should of been made of SS of Billet T7 Aluminum, The Orings on the Deck keep being cut to shit, the Cap should have been Glazed or Coated and the Screws used should have had much wider/deeper Phillips cuts...I have 3 different Phillips head screw kits and none fit the screws perfectly...thats something Ive never encountered before..

They delayed the Brass twice because "it wasnt up to their standards"....I think thats complete shit, this RDA shouldnt of been made 3 different times and still had these issues, this all should have been corrected the first go around.

blakemorder

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I had to take the O-ring off the screw for the Negative or it would spin like a loose positive post...with all the issues I find with this RDA I really dont think it was worth the $72 I paid for it. I wont buy another Authentic Goon...I will however buy another Authentic TM Squared as its the opposite story.....I wonder if the goon Clone will be any good. The Negative block should have been milled into the deck, the clamps should of been made of SS of Billet T7 Aluminum, The Orings on the Deck keep being cut to shit, the Cap should have been Glazed or Coated and the Screws used should have had much wider/deeper Phillips cuts...I have 3 different Phillips head screw kits and none fit the screws perfectly...thats something Ive never encountered before..

They delayed the Brass twice because "it wasnt up to their standards"....I think thats complete shit, this RDA shouldnt of been made 3 different times and still had these issues, this all should have been corrected the first go around.
I'll agree with pretty much all that, I love the way to vapes and all the room but their QC is shit, my negative post does the same thing too. I still wouldn't have gotten a TM squared though, I'm really not a fan of anything about it.

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
I'll agree with pretty much all that, I love the way to vapes and all the room but their QC is shit, my negative post does the same thing too. I still wouldn't have gotten a TM squared though, I'm really not a fan of anything about it.
I love it...It cut very well, has about the same amount of mounting options, the key the comes with it doesnt strip screws unless you really crank down on them...I just wish it was in 24mm instead. Im not a fan of the AFC though...

blakemorder

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I love it...It cut very well, has about the same amount of mounting options, the key the comes with it doesnt strip screws unless you really crank down on them...I just wish it was in 24mm instead. Im not a fan of the AFC though...
See I hate the whole top cap, and the posts just stick up too high for my taste, I wanted something more suited toward flavor and the goon is better there

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
See I hate the whole top cap, and the posts just stick up too high for my taste, I wanted something more suited toward flavor and the goon is better there
Pull the coils closer to the airflow holes and fill more of the bottom in with cotton...that will make it more dense and flavorful...its all about reducing the chamber for flavor and the distance between the air and the coils and then your mouth

AnthonyLouis

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Loop method is what Ive been trying out and used it for the last 2 staggered builds I posted...Im very happy to have used it!
Still haven't been able to pull of the loop method, IDK why -_-

I gotta rebuild for a few Atty's today, I'm gonna give it another go.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

blakemorder

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Pull the coils closer to the airflow holes and fill more of the bottom in with cotton...that will make it more dense and flavorful...its all about reducing the chamber for flavor and the distance between the air and the coils and then your mouth
Yea I keep just enough space for air to get across the deck and under the coils and have been getting very good flavor overall from my goon, a little better then the og twisted messes, which I have to breakout again soon lol.

Schmucko

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
@BrattVapes
It's been sitting on the Cricket for about 10 days (I think) with a 3x30K/40N alien in it. It vapes great! Hell, I haven't even rewicked it yet - gotta do that today...
Thats what im running in my double vision, and runs great on the NC but that diablo with 30g fc's stole the show for making the NC my "around town" mod

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Still haven't been able to pull of the loop method, IDK why -_-

I gotta rebuild for a few Atty's today, I'm gonna give it another go.

Make sure its tight as it can be when wrapped behind the leading clapton wrap, follow it with 3 loops and hold it behind the wire being wrapped and hold it as tight as you can....the wire should wrap itself afterwards. The only time I havent got it to work well is when Im not holding it as tight as I should, do not give it any slack or it will not work.

AnthonyLouis

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Make sure its tight as it can be when wrapped behind the leading clapton wrap, follow it with 3 loops and hold it behind the wire being wrapped and hold it as tight as you can....the wire should wrap itself afterwards. The only time I havent got it to work well is when Im not holding it as tight as I should, do not give it any slack or it will not work.
What do you mean follow it with 3 loops?

Vesuvius

OG
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Please excuse the lighting. I have a bunch of photography lighting I just did not feel like digging it out.

26k/36k Fused Clapton with 24k Twisted in parallel. I had to hand twist the 24k. I should haved used some 28k. The Clapton started to push in a little on the right side but I think it was because of the Velocity post twisting the legs vertical when inserted into the post holes and tightened.
image.jpg

With some smaller gauge and a drill, I could have gotten them a lot tighter and cleaner which would have brought the whole coil together tighter and cleaner. I am learning these things as I go.
image.jpg

Below you can see the Velocity post twisting the legs. I want to get a Goon lol.
image.jpg

Reading at .17ohm. Definitely had to bump the wattage. It stays red for a little while but, I will wick it and see how it does wet. Definitely going to have a lag in the cool down. I will just have to release the button a second or two before I am done pulling to get some air over it.
image.jpg

It may not be all that pretty but, I love building and looking forward to perfecting this craft.

CrazyChef

VU Vendor
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
No. That actually would have helped, though.

Schmucko

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
So i did some simple 24n80/40k fc's
6723adf37f9734512df562b88dd6d59f.jpg
7 wraps 3mm id came out to .14 and they fit beautifully.
Wicking is identical to the griffin
1c4572eb1b1ae93964e6c91ae71ac1c5.jpg
but i think with the airflow coming from the centerpost between the coils the flavor is maybe superior

Schmucko

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Top airflow is useless and unnecessary... Other than that it is at least on par with the griffin so far

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Yeah I thought you were only supposed to use 1 loop right behind the Clapton wire? I'm a little confused about the 3

I used 3...ensuring the wraps would come out in the perfect sized space and the wire travels through those guides (the loops) and then is left in that position.

Boreas RTA shits on everything Ive had so far...
This is deck #1
20160411_211410.jpg

Deck #2:
20160405_122903.jpg

Wicks like a dream and more airflow then the Griffin and it hits the coils dead on...and the decks are plug and play.

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Do you polish/sand it before or after wrapping? Seems like itd be easier to sand/polish a single length of wire than an already wound coil.
You make a few extra wraps and then roll it flat onto a bit, one end in the drill with the bit and sand while the drill is going

VU Sponsors