VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I can't see why not.

Mythical_OD

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Good lookin out on the RX200 update heads up. I woulda never known about it otherwise. Did it a few minutes ago and sure enough, 250. Pretty sweet, but I never even go up to 200 honestly. Might change once I make a set of staples.

JERUS

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Eeek, yay for ohmmeters, wrapped up what I thought was 22g, well it's not, got it wrapped up and tested with one coil, .06Ω yup not 22g. It'd been so long since I used it and I had for some reason taken the label off. So, just went with some 24g FCs for this Boreas, yeah, I like this thing. 7 wraps, had to tilt them to fit, but they fit! Nice tank for sure. I'll need to buy some true 22g, need to get down to .1Ω for this Tres Equis.

Dawn0810

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Good lookin out on the RX200 update heads up. I woulda never known about it otherwise. Did it a few minutes ago and sure enough, 250. Pretty sweet, but I never even go up to 200 honestly. Might change once I make a set of staples.
I ran the update and I never had an issue with the 316L SS but once I ran the update 316L would make the temp protect come on in a second. Just thought I'd let you know in case you're running SS and it's doing just fine how it is.

Mythical_OD

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I dont usually do TC, or ever lol. Just nice to have the extra head room in power mode.

Also, I made my first "staple" wire! Gettin better at this wrapping shit, turned out decent, just dont have time to coil it up. Seems like everytime I try wrapping wire it gets a little easier and the spacing gets tighter. I didnt expect to even get to wrap the staple, I was just playing with stacking the ribbon wire, which was harder than I thought itd be. But once I got it stacked I was like "Well, lets see if I can tie the ends off", then when that was done it was "I wonder if I can get it in the swivels and drill without fucking it up", and before you know it I was spinning that shit around and around and around....

MidwestExpress

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Its not more power...its just more overhead protection for lower builds and more battery life...same with the V1....They arent actually all that large compared to other boxes but they are very nice to have....I think everyone should own atleast a Tres Equis clone or a Hog clone...
Ah nice! That makes since now that I think about it. Sad I went to electronics school, 15 years ago, and when I didn't end up using it for so long, simple shit slides right past me sometimes. Very frustrating. Then someone explains it, I have have a duh moment!

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

mcrazzle54

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I'm flying to Florida, anyone have some info on flying with your vape gear? I ideally would like to bring all my shit "just in case" but trying to figure out if I should crank out some coils before the flight.

MidwestExpress

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'm flying to Florida, anyone have some info on flying with your vape gear? I ideally would like to bring all my shit "just in case" but trying to figure out if I should crank out some coils before the flight.

I just read something a week or so ago about be sure to secure the batteries in your check luggage. They were trying to say that you can't bring batteries on the plan at all. However, if you happen to have a mod with a lipo, if you check that you should be cool.

If I were to be heading any place anytime soon... I would go to the website for the airline you are flying with on all legs, and see what their policy is on li-on batteries.

AlbyKortoona

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
No smart phone, would a photo suffice? But all you'll see is a cloud with skyrocket like projections all around it. It's not vapeable, more like a firecracker going off.

CrazyChef

Custom Hand Crafted Coils - PureCoils.com
VU Vendor
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Spit on your fingers, run them up the ribbon and then they will stay together.
That's one way of doing it. But I have to add this: I've never used this method, and anyone who has received any of my staple coils can be assured that they have never seen even one single microgram of my spit. I come from a very intense BOH food service background, and all of the coils that I make are treated with the same protocols that I would use when working with food. Sanitation is extremely important to me. No offense to your method Ray, but I just needed to clarify that point.

As an alternative to spit, I like to use a drop or two of a 50/50 mix of VG and PG that acts as a "glue" to hold the stacks together.

Last edited:

MidwestExpress

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
That's one way of doing it. But I have to add this: I've never used this method, and anyone who has received any of my staple coils can be assured that they have never seen even one single microgram of my spit. I come from a very intense BOH food service background, and all of the coils that I make are treated with the same protocols that I would use when working with food. Sanitation is extremely important to me. No offense Ray, but I just needed to clarify that point.

As an alternative to spit, I like to use a 50/50 mix of VG and PG that acts as a "glue" to hold the stacks together.

Since I make coils only for myself, I have tried the spit method and I guess my spit just isn't thick enough to work. I have some cheapo clearanced juice that I got back at christmas that tastes like crap so I use that to hold the ribbon together.

CrazyChef

VU Vendor
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Yup, juice is another alternative that some people use.

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Its not "my method" its a method that is advertised in most of the tuts like Art of Vaping. He was looking for help to get Ribbon to stick together and I didnt think it would hurt to inform him to try that...Hes not selling coils. I never said anything about your process in that response so I dont understand what your "clarifying". It was just a tip that could actually help him. No one else posted anything and someone just starting out coiling isnt going to be offering coils for sale...

You dont want to know my method of getting Ribbon to stick....;)

Its not BBQ or something that is being consumed, its more like the Pans the food is cooked on...a thorough cleaning in a USC and rinse would clean it to "Safety Standards" in that regard...It may just be "Your Call on how you do things...unless your wearing latex, cleaning them in a ultra sonic cleaner every step and then twice again what you do isnt going to be any cleaner then anyone that throws them into a cleaner once they are coiled...I havent seen anyone use gloves making these and when looking through a Macro lens its pretty obvious how much grime and skin material is left on these coils, none are completely spotless during creation.

In all seriousness if they are washed after coiling and if the recipient atleast dryburns them yellow it will burn off any and all bio material on them. The coils should be viewed as cookware and not the food itself in that respect.

This is a Macro of a Framed Staple with Just Hands Making it...no fluids lol
acb9a5a7ffa36cf2fde4a53f02d38ad2.png

Do you see the particulates of Skin Matter? Seeing this would you put those in your deck without cleaning them? Wash your hands before making your coils...this will still be left behind and if your skin is wet/soft enough even more so....If you dont own a USC then I suggest it be something you grab next on the list!

Last edited:

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
As long as you clean them well enough I dont think its going to matter for personal use. If making coils for others I suggest using the tips Chef and others supplied. Even water can hold Ribbon together well enough but leaves "spotting" if not washed and blow dried after finishing up. I just wanted to help him out...If you pull the Ribbon tight (you will feel it give a bit) and cut it clean, you dont even need them to stick together as they will lay flat on top of each other and using some 40g you can secure both ends. This will cutout any sort of externally applied forms of matter and keep it as clean as possible.

People have always asked me what my special sauce is in my coils...It always makes me giggle a bit when thinking back on it :giggle:

JERUS

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Ahhh, I already bought one from 3F. Oh well, Ill have a real one soon enough :D
Did the same, but after seeing all these pretty black NCs with brass heat sinks and a nice authentic black Petri v2 on top... ohh I want I want.

BTW @CrazyChef what's that dotmod box thing? They coming out with their own mech?

Last edited:

Iliketurtles

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Loving my Tres Equis though scared the crap out of myself last night when I took the batteries out and 3.5v 4.2v 4.2v (EEK!) Luckily I wasn't running too low (.14Ω) with Samsungs, still bad. So I gave it a good cleaning, more than just the polishing cloth (did that Ketchup thing you wrote about to check it out, works surprisingly well, the things sparkled). Anyways, it's all working well now. Time to build a nice .1Ω Boreas build and enjoy it.
Mine used to do that, the top contact plate has room to move. If you take the top off and pad it underneath the top plate with a fibre washer it cures it, otherwise it will move when you tighten the batteries in and lose contact on one again on one of the back two. It still works with 2 batteries obviously so you never know til recharge time.

JERUS

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Mine used to do that, the top contact plate has room to move. If you take the top off and pad it underneath the top plate with a fibre washer it cures it, otherwise it will move when you tighten the batteries in and lose contact on one again on one of the back two. It still works with 2 batteries obviously so you never know til recharge time.
I was considering that, figured the issue was that plate was getting crooked and losing contact with certain batteries, so far I've been tightening batteries in, put on the tank, then tighten batteries again and it was working. But thanks for that, I'll give it a shot when I get home.

CrazyChef

VU Vendor
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
BTW @CrazyChef what's that dotmod box thing? They coming out with their own mech?
They're being very hush-hush about it, but I don't care what it is - I already want one!
I've become a dothead...

Iliketurtles

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I was considering that, figured the issue was that plate was getting crooked and losing contact with certain batteries, so far I've been tightening batteries in, put on the tank, then tighten batteries again and it was working. But thanks for that, I'll give it a shot when I get home.
You're welcome. I had it in pieces metering everything out when mine was doing it. I think they should redesign the NC that way, there is no reason for any part of the body except the top plate and the rocker at the bottom to be metal. Would be cool to have a stabilised wood one. Mmmmmmmm .......stabilised wood cricket.

JERUS

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
You're welcome. I had it in pieces metering everything out when mine was doing it. I think they should redesign the NC that way, there is no reason for any part of the body except the top plate and the rocker at the bottom to be metal. Would be cool to have a stabilised wood one. Mmmmmmmm .......stabilised wood cricket.
Stop saying things I've been thinking about! geez! you're freaking me out. The only issue with the wood one would be the connection inserts. Can't just screw right into the wood, would have to secure in a nice metal threading or something, but yeah, wish I had my Grandpa's shop. I need to get off my ass and start making the mods I want to but waiting on a few things to arrive before I even bother starting (I plan on starting with building one inside a Gameboy, but still have plenty to figure out and then actually do it).

JERUS

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Ha ha, just imagine it though stabilised wood cricket. I would buy one.
Love a good wood grain, I'd be all over that. Pretty surprised the NC design hasn't been ripped off by any custom mod makers, such a simple design and while you can't beat the NC's price range you could up the aesthetics and quality

AlbyKortoona

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
Temp control FC's. NiFe52 28/32 A little wonky on the wrap but they work well at 420 degrees and 58 watts.

DSC_0003.png

AlbyKortoona

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
To my olfactory device is seems really clean, actually don't get any nickel or iron taste.

Mythical_OD

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Well thats kinda the reason I got it. I just wanted it for the sleeve and cap. Im getting an authentic in black and with a gold cloudcap or whatever, so figured pick up the clone in gold and just swap the deck out if I wanna have it in gold.

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Well thats kinda the reason I got it. I just wanted it for the sleeve and cap. Im getting an authentic in black and with a gold cloudcap or whatever, so figured pick up the clone in gold and just swap the deck out if I wanna have it in gold.
Hopefully they are perfect fits...2 Different Double Visions and TM Clones I have arent exact and wont take each others caps/bases...Im buying that Clone with the Thumb Screws for sure!! Thanks for the Heads up @Dawn0810

Iliketurtles

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The thumb screws one is aluminium, not sure if thats good or bad. I'm not loving the Petri clone from 3f so probably not getting another anyways. Might try the authentic in a B&M and if its significantly better get that.

mach1ne

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
shit i was looking at the clone from 3fvape with the gold top and black drip tip for my authentic 1.5...anyone know if they are compatible?

JERUS

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Hopefully they are perfect fits...2 Different Double Visions and TM Clones I have arent exact and wont take each others caps/bases...Im buying that Clone with the Thumb Screws for sure!! Thanks for the Heads up @Dawn0810
Made that mistake a couple times. I know Chef did a review on his clone vs the authentic, don't remember if he commented on fitting each other, and then there's always getting a different clone.

JERUS

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
The thumb screws one is aluminium, not sure if thats good or bad. I'm not loving the Petri clone from 3f so probably not getting another anyways. Might try the authentic in a B&M and if its significantly better get that.
What don't you like about it if I might ask? I heard that the clone was very airy (and not adjustable ofcourse) any other complaints? Mine's on the way, I'll make it work even if just to look pretty.

Iliketurtles

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
It seems to run hot to me, everything I put in it is hot. I will try it with a single coil but so far I am not a fan of it. Might just be I need to adjust to what it likes...wouldn't be the first time.

AlbyKortoona

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
I have the V1 & V2 clones from 3f, quality is decent and better than I had anticipated. All pieces are compatible with my authentic V2. The V2 clone has 4 air holes in the barrel, good for vapor production but not so much for flavor.

JERUS

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I have the V1 & V2 clones from 3f, quality is decent and better than I had anticipated. All pieces are compatible with my authentic V2. The V2 clone has 4 air holes in the barrel, good for vapor production but not so much for flavor.
Yeah that's my concern. And then the idea of picking up another top cap is an issue because of the inconsistencies of clones... ohh well again I'll make it work.

Dawn0810

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
What don't you like about it if I might ask? I heard that the clone was very airy (and not adjustable ofcourse) any other complaints? Mine's on the way, I'll make it work even if just to look pretty.
Not at all I have all the dot mods versions I really love them but one of the cool things about the v2's are the thumb screws which the ones from 3f doesn't have but fast tech just came out with them with the thumb screws today.

JERUS

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Not at all I have all the dot mods versions I really love them but one of the cool things about the v2's are the thumb screws which the ones from 3f doesn't have but fast tech just came out with them with the thumb screws today.
For sure, but I'm a function over form guy, so I'll let that minor issue fall to the side for now.

AlbyKortoona

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
I'm guessing that Dawn has fingers that will fit in there and can use the thumbscrews. They look cool and all, but I have to use a screwdriver on them. And then final tightening with pliers (raymo had to clue me into the pliers part lol )

VU Sponsors