Become a Patron!

Post your builds

MidwestExpress

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Do you have any idea what the "flatline ohm" means in the description?

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Oh, I just reread and saw what you were talking about. I am pretty sure that is how "fine" it measures. So I am pretty sure it is what I mentioned above. That is its accuracy of measurement for TC ability.

thermo289

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
In a past life I was a machinist, live means it will spin with load on it.
Dead is the one the doesn't move haha

Just thought about it, the load on those bearings would most likely be too much for the wire and twist. U may just want to chuck up that wire vise and eat her fabricate something or just use those swivels.

And if u found a feeding lathe well auto Clapton

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
There are plenty of jigs that auto clapton..you could take your drill apart and instead of the button it has use a sliding switch so you can control its speeds and have it on until its turned off....use the Jig and a Drill with slider switch, Swivels and your set

thermo289

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
There are plenty of jigs that auto clapton..you could take your drill apart and instead of the button it has use a sliding switch so you can control its speeds and have it on until its turned off....use the Jig and a Drill with slider switch, Swivels and your set

That diy might be the way to go.

Took a quick look online the only thing I could find that looks like it has a feed on is this

5fc94368012674818e02b8bc43f52c2e.jpg

CrazyChef

Custom Hand Crafted Coils - PureCoils.com
VU Vendor
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
So at the urging of another member, I decided to try a low gauge polished coil. 16g Nichrome 80. This stuff is a major PITA to work with.

2016-04-15 09.06.07.jpg

2000 Grit & 12000 Grit:

2000 Grit.jpg12000 Grit.jpg

Sitting on a 3.0mm bit:

2016-04-14 19.37.57.jpg

Some color shots:

Red.jpgGold.jpg
Blue.jpg

Last edited:

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor

MidwestExpress

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years

I have thought about taking one of my corded drill's trigger assembly apart and wiring in a foot pedal from sewing machine.

MidwestExpress

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years

CrazyChef

VU Vendor
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee

thermo289

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
You got me wanting to try it, but I don't have the funds for all the sand paper and cleaner

thermo289

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Dose anyone know about how low you can build in wattage mode on the RX200 with that new update? On the fence if I even want to update. I know it was something like .08

CrazyChef

VU Vendor
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
You got me wanting to try it, but I don't have the funds for all the sand paper and cleaner
It's not too bad - a little under $100 for the supplies, if you buy good quality. The cheap stuff will just fall apart trying to do this stuff.
The grits I use are 220, 500, 1000, 1200, 1500, 2000, 2500, 3000, 4000, 5000, 6000, 8000, 12000. I need to get some more in-between grits (2400, 3600, 10000, etc.). Supposedly 17000 is available, but I can't seem to find any.

Mythical_OD

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Fuckin Chef is now building Time Machine coils. Every hit sends you hours in the future...what are you coating those with? :p

Whats the source? Ive got up to 12k too, but Id love to take it higher on my guitar frets. Already at 12k they are like mirrors, I cant imagine it could get much better. Id guess after 12k youd get very diminished returns

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Ive never gone higher then 7k grit on anything in my life....I can appreciate your stepping and time invested into the polish!

I actually made some Alien Framed Staples today...I was trying with 40g over and over but I noticed the wrap that is hanging like to spin and twist together and it keeps screwing everything up. I gave up on the 40g+ Aliens....Ill stick with the 36g/38g for now..
I used 5 x .5 Ribbon to mimic the 26N80 Frames so it would be as easy as a normal Alien would be...I actually think this is easier to wrap once everything is in the drill but it takes alot more prep work then a regular Alien. I screwed up a few wraps here and there on the entire wire length but I used a Exact-o Blade and cut the screw up wraps off and pressured the Alien wrap from the ends and then cut the wrap ends to meet...It almost looks like a perfect length but there are 6 or 7 spots where there were a few screw up and I fixed them.

I tried my hand at a spaced Alien also but Im not as great with spacing as others are here...

20160415_102633.jpg 20160415_102458.jpg 20160415_102413.jpg 20160415_104213.jpg 20160415_104122.jpg 20160415_104435.jpg 20160415_104144.jpg

I have not cleaned them yet..you can see what I meant by how nasty coils get just making them with your hands ;)

After the Cleaner!
20160415_111954.jpg 20160415_112056.jpg 20160415_112152.jpg

Last edited:

AnthonyLouis

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Ive never gone higher then 7k grit on anything in my life....I can appreciate your stepping and time invested into the polish!

I actually made some Alien Framed Staples today...I was trying with 40g over and over but I noticed the wrap that is hanging like to spin and twist together and it keeps screwing everything up. I gave up on the 40g+ Aliens....Ill stick with the 36g/38g for now..
I used 5 x .5 Ribbon to mimic the 26N80 Frames so it would be as easy as a normal Alien would be...I actually think this is easier to wrap once everything is in the drill but it takes alot more prep work then a regular Alien. I screwed up a few wraps here and there on the entire wire length but I used a Exact-o Blade and cut the screw up wraps off and pressured the Alien wrap from the ends and then cut the wrap ends to meet...It almost looks like a perfect length but there are 6 or 7 spots where there were a few screw up and I fixed them.

I tried my hand at a spaced Alien also but Im not as great with spacing as others are here...

View attachment 47624 View attachment 47621 View attachment 47619 View attachment 47620 View attachment 47623 View attachment 47622 View attachment 47625

I have not cleaned them yet..you can see what I meant by how nasty coils get just making them with your hands ;)

After the Cleaner!
View attachment 47631 View attachment 47632 View attachment 47630
Very nice my friend.... I'm gonna try another stagg. Framed staple variation today and then start working on my framed staple aliens again.

I posted a picture of the stag. Frame staples I made yesterday for the first time. The stagger worked out but was no where near perfect, hopefully today it works out better now that I got more of a nack for it.... I was still trying to figure out ur 3 loop method but I couldn't...

Iliketurtles

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years

That's nice work indeed, like your screwup fix idea as well...my usual kink fix is to try and get them on the inside of the wraps :D
3fvape Goon just showed up - no single coil option on these, clamps look pretty robust, neg post needs tightening but I think it will be in the clean wash first.

Mythical_OD

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I tried my hand at an Alien build last night....did not go well lmao. Im too noobish to do that, but screw it, I tried anyway. Didnt get, well, any, wraps to line up right. But it was fun trying anyways. I got the original clapton wrapped near perfect and got it perfectly off the core and got it stretched right, but getting it wound around the new cores was a disaster.

Did wrap a great couple feet of 28/34 fused clapton though, which will be great for the NC.

mcrazzle54

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Just remembered posting this forever ago and decided I'd toss up my new kit for comparative purposes
843bc6d13aa01bd1f7e1a7852ea1b27b.jpg
Also, here's my very first stainless steel build
2662e38ccaa4af553787e36b8ba05994.jpg
I didn't wrap, only installed them as they're prebuilts I purchased from a local b&m. Just bought a 30' reel of 24AWG SS316L and will be wrapping my own coils as soon as I figure out exactly how the numbers work with it in regards to ID, # of wraps, etc...

Sent from my CM12.One m7 using Tapatalk [:=

You should use this site
http://www.steam-engine.org/coil.asp?s=dp&r=0.3&hfnw=60&awg=24&id=3
It has really helped me out a lot with building and is a vital tool I use regularly. Check it out.

Iliketurtles

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Very nice my friend.... I'm gonna try another stagg. Framed staple variation today and then start working on my framed staple aliens again.

I posted a picture of the stag. Frame staples I made yesterday for the first time. The stagger worked out but was no where near perfect, hopefully today it works out better now that I got more of a nack for it.... I was still trying to figure out ur 3 loop method but I couldn't...

Loop method -
1. wrap 2 or 3 loopwire wraps in same direction you will be claptonning
042OQuEm.jpg

2. follow into first of these wraps with the clapton wire
3. you will have loop wrap then feed wire then 1 or 2 wraps of the loop all wraps same direction
zpkluDzm.jpg

4. pull tight and rip away

JERUS

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Not really sure where to post this, so might as well do it here to catch this nice smart audience. I haven't done much with TC, tried it but kinda brushed it off as I don't need it. But, I want to take a look at it again. For FCs on TC is there anything I need to do special? I assume trim the wrapping off the leads? Will the 2 wires vs 1 cause an issue? Just really haven't a clue what to do for it.

AlbyKortoona

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
I don't trim the wrap, just stuff it in the holes and tighten. Only trouble I've had is SS core Ti wrap on the dna200 board. But it was inconsistent with ss316L anyways. With SS430 it works better. The joytech boards don't seem to have a problem with it, but then again I can't really tell what they are doing like you can with the Escribe software on the dna. Not that I'm one of the "smart" guys. The people here have patiently corrected my knucklehead ideas and procedures and kept me from injuring myself so far....:D

renzyb

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
That's nice work indeed, like your screwup fix idea as well...my usual kink fix is to try and get them on the inside of the wraps :D
3fvape Goon just showed up - no single coil option on these, clamps look pretty robust, neg post needs tightening but I think it will be in the clean wash first.
How long did it take for your shipment to get there? I'm still waiting on mine.

MidwestExpress

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Not really sure where to post this, so might as well do it here to catch this nice smart audience. I haven't done much with TC, tried it but kinda brushed it off as I don't need it. But, I want to take a look at it again. For FCs on TC is there anything I need to do special? I assume trim the wrapping off the leads? Will the 2 wires vs 1 cause an issue? Just really haven't a clue what to do for it.

I use 430 SS cores wrapped in 40 Kanthal D. I don't trim anything. I just load the coils, tighten, and then move forward. Using my DNA mod works best because I have a profile setup for my SS core wrapped in kanthal coils so I always just to go that and I am good. I made that with putting the specs into Wire-wizard on Steam-Engine and then manually adjusting the temp curve in the software to get the temp to continually raise up and vape just how I want it to.

They also work really well in my G2 using xXx mode.

Those are the only two mods that I have that are TC and it works with no issue in either.

I hope that helps.

JERUS

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Perfect, thanks to both of you. Trying to aim for a .1Ω build so I'm going to be wrapping up some SS I have (316), so figured it'd be a good time to try TC again.

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
No I made many extras ;) I overshot on how much wire I was going to use and made 2 extra sets...I just havent used anything but the Boreas lately...which Im debating on whether or not to install those Alien Framed Staples in..

VaporCarp

#BlackRiflesMatter
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Im still a fan of Kanthal/N80 more then I am of SS..and I use the G2 for my TC so I dont particularly need to use SS or anything else...I might be stubborn but why change if something is working for you?
EJ said the n80 will give me da cancer

CrazyChef

VU Vendor
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
EJ said the n80 will give me da cancer
Actually, that's not quite true. Internet myth. What it really does is cause I am a spammer ban me dysfunction. Like, really bad. I heard about one guy who's dick fell off right in the middle of lunch at a McDonald's in Scranton after vaping. Rip Trippers doesn't have a dick anymore, either. He's dickless.

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Actually, that's not quite true. Internet myth. What it really does is cause I am a spammer ban me dysfunction. Like, really bad. I heard about one guy who's dick fell off right in the middle of lunch at a McDonald's in Scranton after vaping. Rip Trippers doesn't have a dick anymore, either. He's dickless.
Only after he got Dry Knuckles...thats when I heard to discontinue use...

can someone help? I've rebuilt my kangertech subtank mini probably 20 times so far, i understand how to coil and wick my bra but now it seems no matter what i do i get a cotton(ish) taste, its not the typical dry hit taste, its just cotton(ish). i check my cotton and its not burned, and i am not using too much cotton, any answers? anyone with the same problem?

AlbyKortoona

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
Those are not like any claptons I've seen, what exactly do you have going on there?

JERUS

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
can someone help? I've rebuilt my kangertech subtank mini probably 20 times so far, i understand how to coil and wick my bra but now it seems no matter what i do i get a cotton(ish) taste, its not the typical dry hit taste, its just cotton(ish). i check my cotton and its not burned, and i am not using too much cotton, any answers? anyone with the same problem?
Double check where it's placed, if the air is traveling through the cotton this can happen. So make sure the pathway is clear. Other than that, how long have you been vaping it? Most cotton takes a while to break in and all. A picture may help.

JERUS

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I'm a fan of SS simply because it seems to last forever. If I could get some 40g SS I think I could wrap one set of claptons and beat that year old coil Raymo's buddy was using.

VU Sponsors