Become a Patron!

Post your builds

Mythical_OD

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I was working a couple hotspots out of some 30k/38n fc's and started wondering why kanthal or nichrome coils are always made in contact style. It's the way I learned and have always done it this way, but what is the reasoning or concept behind the idea. Hotspots would be a non issue with spaced coils, but there must be some reason why it's not done that way.

I dont know either, but on one of my Allerias when I was rebuilding it I was already super tired and had already rebuilt 4 or 5 rtas and rdas and just wanted to be done, so when I fired it and squeezed the first coil together, then cooled it and fired it again and saw that both coils (the tight contact one and the super spaced out one) were glowing quick, evenly, and at the same pace, I just said fuck it, and left it like that lol. Havent noticed any real problems or issues or even a difference between that Alleria with the mismatched coil spacing and the Alleria with the symetrical tight coils. Whatever. I think a big part of it is looks too. A spaced out uneven coil is ugly. It works, but its not pretty. Most premade tank coils are spaced apart, and even the preinstalled coils on the rba heads are spaced.

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
I played around with those coils again as I wanted it to be a Novelty Build but still functional...IT SUCKS ASS that the HOG is dead or this would have been great for it...now I have to be very careful of what Im doing with the Tres Equis...
I decided to use the aliens and the Fraples from before but position them down one row and keep them in the same formation. I removed a wrap off each staple coil so they would all fire evenly...as even as I could get them to for now. I will be remaking the aliens with a extra wrap and that should get it perfectly matching. The Staples heat up slightly behind the Aliens right now but its barely a difference, but I dont like that. Im going to wick it in a minute and try it out, 120w on the Hohm Wrecker seems to heat them up pretty quickly-especially for a .06 Ohm build!
I tried making some 3 x 30g/38g Aliens for the top but I screwed up a few outer wraps and I scrapped them...

20160418_220406.jpg 20160418_220413.jpg 20160418_220409.jpg

Mythical_OD

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
A 0.06 ohm build firing at 120 watts is drawing almost 45 amps from the batteries. How is your face still intact? Why dont you looks like 70 year old hooker that started smoking m*th as an infant? What principals allow you to do that? We obey the laws of physics on this forum, TELL ME YOUR SECRETS, GYPSY!

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
A 0.06 ohm build firing at 120 watts is drawing almost 45 amps from the batteries. How is your face still intact? Why dont you looks like 70 year old hooker that started smoking m*th as an infant? What principals allow you to do that? We obey the laws of physics on this forum, TELL ME YOUR SECRETS, GYPSY!
Its regulated....The draw on the batteries was probably 30A-35A at most.

Mythical_OD

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I just dont understand how it works with a regulated mod, or even any multi battery mod. Its confusing. With a single battery, I can get it, but add another and its just like you dropped me in the Labyrinth with a toothbrush and asked me to kill the Minotaur. I dont get how and when battery amps stack and such.

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
I just dont understand how it works with a regulated mod, or even any multi battery mod. Its confusing. With a single battery, I can get it, but add another and its just like you dropped me in the Labyrinth with a toothbrush and asked me to kill the Minotaur. I dont get how and when battery amps stack and such.
With the correct Algorithm and materials you can roughly double the output of the input, this is why some mods (Snow Wolf/Hohm Wrecker/ect) can offer slightly higher outputs then their inputs. You wont see double or anything close to it but it has been done. Its not a steady current either.

mr vaper

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Ill rebuild it..I was thinking of making a box of my own for testing and making it easier on my other gear for dryburning stuff....Something like 6-8 18650's hooked up to a button on the desk but Im not sure if I want it as a portable mod or a desk setup...Its not that often I make something like that but still is something I would like to invest in.
U R crazy bro

V

Mythical_OD

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Hell yea man. Hook that shit up series. Octuple 18650 series desk mod pumping out 33 volts to a custom coil burn build deck, floating style with an inline fan blowing up over the coils for max airflow...Im so doing that :D

You could build that shit into the desk with a nice hooka style whip for the hitter piece and a foot switch for operation, and use some uber low gauge wire for the coil build. I really think Im going to design this lmao, its utterly insane and ridiculous but I just gotta at least make a mock up.

Gheed

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Okay...I know this isnt sensible or a good plan but I wanted to do a "Crazy build" in the So Horney RDA when it arrived...Here's what I came up with...
Top to Bottom Specs:
3 x 26N80/38N80 Aliens
5 x .5R/26N80/40N80 Fraples
8 x 32KA1/30N80 Flattened/Polished Aliens
Checks out to .04 Ohms. I tried firing it but it melted my HOG V1 internals.....

I was going to use Alien Framed Staples in the Middle but I wanted to mix it up more then "Alien Everything"...After these pics I took everything but the Flattened/Polished Aliens Out and Have them in a "X" Pattern..I still have yet to vape this setup but it heats quickly and burns bright, so it should be a great setup!

View attachment 47995 View attachment 47996 View attachment 48001 View attachment 48000 View attachment 47997

How I will actually be using the RDA ( .09 Ohms):
View attachment 47999 View attachment 47994

Melted my HOG V1 Internals...
View attachment 47998

Getting a nice collection of wire...
View attachment 47993

I remember you saying you hog v1 was authentic, hope you didn't pay authentic price because that's a clone.

12x.5/40n80 staged with 24n80. 3.2id @ .06 on 30mm X1.

image.jpg

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor

AlbyKortoona

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
Was going to order a clone, that gives me pause. Do you think the same meltdown would have occurred with an authentic?

Mythical_OD

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yea I was considering one too actually, but last thing I need is 4 batteries going off at the same time lol, think Ill the Diablo instead.

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Was going to order a clone, that gives me pause. Do you think the same meltdown would have occurred with an authentic?
Im not sure...I would hope not b ut that is ALOT of current going through the mod and even if something had slightly higher resistance then everything else then it will melt if it got hot.

Mythical_OD

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I dont think so much its ordering boxes from ebay, its more which box you order from ebay. If you order something like an RX200 or a Cuboid or iStick, youll be fine because theyre fairly cheap and readily available and nobody is really faking them. On the other hand if youre wanting a brand new HOG or Diablo or some other authentic high end piece where decent clones are easily obtainable and cheap, well, you might as well just go to a reputable vendor or straight to the source. If youre willing to spend $100 on maybe a real one, youre willing to drop $180 on definitely a real one.

MidwestExpress

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'm gonna hold off buying anything right now. Waiting on the Hohm Slice to drop. Was looking at a Griffin 25 or a Theorem, but waiting. Will wait on mods too.

Mythical_OD

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Theres so much on my radar right now I dont know what to get next, plus more stuff dropping soon. Disguiser, Diablo, Hohm Wrecker G2, Spartan 300, M17, HOG, Hells Gate V2, Ronin Series box.

And thats just mods, never mind an easy dozen or more rtas/rdas. Too bad Im gonna be nice and broke for a while :(. I gotta get my shit together and post up a classified for all the stuff I dont use anymore. Theres so much cool stuff coming out now and already out there that I just gotsta haves.

Though FINALLY my Twisted Messes Squared is gonna be here Thursday, fingers crossed the Dotmod Petri V2 will be here by Saturday, and then Ive got the Goon and Petri V2 clones and some ribbon wire coming Friday or so. Hopefully that shit keeps me busy enough to forget about the other stuff lol

Dawn0810

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Dollar store find of the day Image1461080541.995765.jpg
Keeps all the premade coils in the right spots. Sorry I get excited when things make my life easier. Each box is different ohms and each subdivision is a different wire type and yes I'm a big dork.

Sent from the lab in my basement of vapement

Gheed

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I dont think so much its ordering boxes from ebay, its more which box you order from ebay. If you order something like an RX200 or a Cuboid or iStick, youll be fine because theyre fairly cheap and readily available and nobody is really faking them. On the other hand if youre wanting a brand new HOG or Diablo or some other authentic high end piece where decent clones are easily obtainable and cheap, well, you might as well just go to a reputable vendor or straight to the source. If youre willing to spend $100 on maybe a real one, youre willing to drop $180 on definitely a real one.
I want to say there were only 1000 hog v1s made. So it's nearly impossible to find one new.

JERUS

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Theres so much on my radar right now I dont know what to get next, plus more stuff dropping soon. Disguiser, Diablo, Hohm Wrecker G2, Spartan 300, M17, HOG, Hells Gate V2, Ronin Series box.

And thats just mods, never mind an easy dozen or more rtas/rdas. Too bad Im gonna be nice and broke for a while :(. I gotta get my shit together and post up a classified for all the stuff I dont use anymore. Theres so much cool stuff coming out now and already out there that I just gotsta haves.

Though FINALLY my Twisted Messes Squared is gonna be here Thursday, fingers crossed the Dotmod Petri V2 will be here by Saturday, and then Ive got the Goon and Petri V2 clones and some ribbon wire coming Friday or so. Hopefully that shit keeps me busy enough to forget about the other stuff lol
Got my TM² clone yesterday, thing's pretty sweet. Lots of room for a 22mm. Now I think I just need better/more wire to screw around with then I'll be happy for a while at least. Too many vapes to use as it is. I have 2 mods/atomizers to set up tonight then all will be well.

BTW I hear people talk about 430ss as being the best option, where do you people get it (if you do)?

JERUS

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Dollar store find of the day View attachment 48118
Keeps all the premade coils in the right spots. Sorry I get excited when things make my life easier. Each box is different ohms and each subdivision is a different wire type and yes I'm a big dork.

Sent from the lab in my basement of vapement
Organization is key! I was saving a bunch of old good coils, thinking I'd only vaped them for a day or two and while working well I just wanted to keep tinkering. Well because I didn't organize them now I just have a pile of coils that i have no clue what they are :(

Mythical_OD

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yea I cant wait to get the TM2 and the Petri V2. Both are authentics through the group buys here. I also got the cloud cap in gold for the Petri (black one). And I have a Petri V2 clone coming with the Goon clone, and I got that one Gold, so I can swap the outer sleeves when I want to and still have the authentic deck and cap.

As far as 430 SS, the only place I know of off the top of my head is Advanced Vape Supply, but last I checked they were waiting for more stock. Dunno if thats changed or not.

ljbmx1211

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
eb83b64a4ca3849d3a4d393cf20c42c9.jpg
finally made some Fused Clapton wire took awhile haven't done it in a very long time ;) first try

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CrazyChef

Custom Hand Crafted Coils - PureCoils.com
VU Vendor
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Wait until you vape it - you'll never go back from here.

AlbyKortoona

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
Got my TM² clone yesterday, thing's pretty sweet. Lots of room for a 22mm. Now I think I just need better/more wire to screw around with then I'll be happy for a while at least. Too many vapes to use as it is. I have 2 mods/atomizers to set up tonight then all will be well.

BTW I hear people talk about 430ss as being the best option, where do you people get it (if you do)?

http://www.unkamensupplies.com/coll...e-nickel-free-introductory-sale-100-guarantee

Hard stuff to find.

JERUS

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Wait until you vape it - you'll never go back from here.
The only thing other than FCs I have in any of my builds are the Aliens I got from you (still going strong), and shitty FCs/really good parallels, (do a very quick clapton around 2 cores, mainly to test different core options)

JERUS

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Dude, I just cleaned my Noisy Cricket parts and my Petri V2 in the US cleaner - with the aliens still installed in the atty. They're STILL going strong! :D
I just dry fire them, I think it still has a few more rewicks in it.

MidwestExpress

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years

430 is what I use. I get it from a guy on etsy out of Arkansas. Good stuff. Wraps it very well and no kinks. I have been very happy with it.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

MidwestExpress

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Dude, I just cleaned my Noisy Cricket parts and my Petri V2 in the US cleaner - with the aliens still installed in the atty. They're STILL going strong! :D
What are you using to clean the contacts and everything for the NC? I finally get one this week and want to make sure I have what is needed to keep it in line and firing correctly!

MidwestExpress

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Just a little funky gunk

3549be02f8641f6830e4b8517ba7de04.jpg
Nom nom nom

That is what my Griffin does after a couple of weeks. Alleria doesn't but I can also keep an eye on the coils. I just changed though to making sure I don't let my cotton go 2 weeks before pulling everything apart to dry fire, clean, and wick. I used to be really bad about that... Wait until the flavor fell off, then pull it apart and it would look like the tar monster from the original Scooby Doo shows was hanging out where my coils were supposed to be...

Dawn0810

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Organization is key! I was saving a bunch of old good coils, thinking I'd only vaped them for a day or two and while working well I just wanted to keep tinkering. Well because I didn't organize them now I just have a pile of coils that i have no clue what they are :(
Exactly and sometimes I'm just in the building mood and everything has fresh coils in it so then I'll just build for the future lol sometimes building is my only quiet time cuz they kids know not to mess with me when I'm at my desk. Lol

MidwestExpress

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Exactly and sometimes I'm just in the building mood and everything has fresh coils in it so then I'll just build for the future lol sometimes building is my only quiet time cuz they kids know not to mess with me when I'm at my desk. Lol
I started doing this since the new little guy was born in February. I don't get the time to hide in the basement at my bench for long right now. So when I do, I run down and make a few sets of different gauge fc's in case I need to swap something out.

About to make some 4mm 316ss fc's for that turd that Uwell passes off as an RBA for the crown. Love the tank for flavor and capacity but want another option than the stock coil I run. So gonna do that and only use it in tc.

Now that I have a couple new gauges of ss, thanks to @Dawn0810, I am able to do this. Not my normal 430ss cores wrapped in 40k D.

JERUS

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
What are you using to clean the contacts and everything for the NC? I finally get one this week and want to make sure I have what is needed to keep it in line and firing correctly!

No joke, last time I cleaned it I used Ketchup, Raymo put a guide on it up a while back (can't find it as there were a couple other household things I wanted to give a try to compare) but anyways it worked surprisingly well. A quick google search on copper cleaning had me looking at using Vinegar or Lemon Juice and Salt. The brass search actually has the ketchup idea right at the top: https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=how+to+clean+brass

Anyways, sounds crazy, but it works well, just make sure to rinse and dry well.

MidwestExpress

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
No joke, last time I cleaned it I used Ketchup, Raymo put a guide on it up a while back (can't find it as there were a couple other household things I wanted to give a try to compare) but anyways it worked surprisingly well. A quick google search on copper cleaning had me looking at using Vinegar or Lemon Juice and Salt. The brass search actually has the ketchup idea right at the top: https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=how+to+clean+brass

Anyways, sounds crazy, but it works well, just make sure to rinse and dry well.

Its like cleaning battery terminals with a 20 oz of Coke. HAH

Or what would be fun... some baking soda and vinegar! NC Volcano!

Are the contacts removable? If so, if they got real funky to where the home remedies wouldn't clean them, CLR bath them.

JERUS

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Its like cleaning battery terminals with a 20 oz of Coke. HAH

Or what would be fun... some baking soda and vinegar! NC Volcano!

Are the contacts removable? If so, if they got real funky to where the home remedies wouldn't clean them, CLR bath them.
Super simply setup, the one thing is there's some space between the bottom "plastic" plate and the contacts there, so make sure not to leave ketchup in there ;). 5 parts, you have the housing (could call that 2 as there is the metal portion and an inner plastic, don't really need to touch that I don't think). Then a bottom metal plate that screws on. Sitting in there is the bottom connection plate. Then you have the button and the 510 threading. That's it, simplicity at it's finest.

CrazyChef

Custom Hand Crafted Coils - PureCoils.com
VU Vendor
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
The whole point of using ketchup is because it has two acids - one from the vinegar, and one from the tomato product. Lemon juice and vinegar will work as well as the ketchup. It eats away at the finish, "cleaning" it. Personally, I think this is all overkill, like way overboard. My dry toothbrush keeps my NC nice and clean, and the US cleaner just tweaks it - not necessary, but I have one so I might as well use it.

Oggy

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Hell yea man. Hook that shit up series. Octuple 18650 series desk mod pumping out 33 volts to a custom coil burn build deck, floating style with an inline fan blowing up over the coils for max airflow...Im so doing that :D

You could build that shit into the desk with a nice hooka style whip for the hitter piece and a foot switch for operation, and use some uber low gauge wire for the coil build. I really think Im going to design this lmao, its utterly insane and ridiculous but I just gotta at least make a mock up.

Here you go 1000 watts of power.

http://imgur.com/a/vzWEP

VU Sponsors