Become a Patron!

Post your builds

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Need to make some fused clapton's for a Series box coming this week. Question is what to try after that. Do I attempt aliens or those rad looking tomahawks?
They are the same thing but a understretched Alien ;) I would shoot for a normal alien as it can be difficult to make the mohawks align correctly. Ive had an easier time with normal Aliens,,,,try a Dual Core Alien...that should get your confidence up as it tends to be easier as the cores cant twist and bunch up if not laid tight enough. If using 26g cores for the Alien then clapton a 28g length for a dual core.

Joshhm9x

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I'll look through my computer when I get home, I made a coil I called the flat bastard. Ugly as 2 inbred sisters but hits like a freight train.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

StereoFreeze

VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
They are the same thing but a understretched Alien ;) I would shoot for a normal alien as it can be difficult to make the mohawks align correctly. Ive had an easier time with normal Aliens,,,,try a Dual Core Alien...that should get your confidence up as it tends to be easier as the cores cant twist and bunch up if not laid tight enough. If using 26g cores for the Alien then clapton a 28g length for a dual core.

Thanks for tip Raymo. Probably try that first and save the tomahawk for later. I'm like a kid with training wheels on their bike at this point.

@Joshhm9x those are some good looking coils.

RedheadedBStarD

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
3fa7a5ec4887ad2be7b61b2006c30124.jpg

I had a member recommend me post some of my builds here, but I feel I'm failing when I look at a portion of the builds here.

Anyways this is what I'm rocking at the moment.
Just some 26 gauge Nichrome 80/34 gauge Nichrome 80

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice! I haven't gotten into aliens and mohawks yet.

mach1ne

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
another set of staples. 6 x .4mm core, but this time with 40g wrap. dual five wraps on 3mm comes to .13 ohms. thats the smallest wrap i have used yet. it was a lot easier than i thought. there was only one bad mistake, the rest ranges from good to perfect. pretty happy. also learned that simply holding a magnifying glass up to my phone camera lens makes the close ups a lot better...
Capture1.jpg
Capture2.jpg
Capture3.jpg
Capture4.jpg

JERUS

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
another set of staples. 6 x .4mm core, but this time with 40g wrap. dual five wraps on 3mm comes to .13 ohms. thats the smallest wrap i have used yet. it was a lot easier than i thought. there was only one bad mistake, the rest ranges from good to perfect. pretty happy. also learned that simply holding a magnifying glass up to my phone camera lens makes the close ups a lot better...
View attachment 49108
View attachment 49109
View attachment 49110
View attachment 49111
From what I saw, not sure if it works, but apparently the lenses of laser pointers works great as a little "life hack" option for making a macro lense, just thought I'd pass it on if you had a spare laser pointer.

mach1ne

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
its funny, i showed that pic to a friend tonight, told him i used a magnifying glass, and he said the same thing. i dont have one, but i think they are a dollar store kind of thing. ill grab one next time i see one and try it out :cheers:

Dawn0810

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
If you get those spool tamers all you would need to do is point them so they follow the wire and hold your drills button to make normal claptons and point them at a 45 degree angle for perfect spaced claptons...Im so glad I got them!
Haha I'm glad I could help you out when I saw them I was so happy and when they actually worked it was even better. Right now they're selling 25 of them for 15.95$

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Haha I'm glad I could help you out when I saw them I was so happy and when they actually worked it was even better. Right now they're selling 25 of them for 15.95$
Yea I have another set of 7 coming and the should take care of all my high gauges for now, thanks for recommending them...its pretty impressive with how well they work.. I dont think I could have pulled off the last few builds I did without them, or as decent looking anyways!

How long does one spool tamer last?
Until you stop using it ;)

Dawn0810

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Yea I have another set of 7 coming and the should take care of all my high gauges for now, thanks for recommending them...its pretty impressive with how well they work.. I dont think I could have pulled off the last few builds I did without them, or as decent looking anyways!

Well I'm glad because you do amazing work anyways when I see something that I think other people would like or benefit from I share it some people are weird and don't tell people like it's their own little Secret to whatever. If I have coupon codes I share them or if I see a great price but to each their own

Rhett1977

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years

Do do you need a different tamer for each spool of wire you use?

Dawn0810

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Do do you need a different tamer for each spool of wire you use?
I do for the higher gauges they're really so it doesn't unravel on you at all. And I have a lot of the higher gauges and for about 50 cents each they're way cheaper than loosing a bunch of wire lol

AlbyKortoona

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
View attachment 49108
View attachment 49109
View attachment 49110
View attachment 49111

My staples are coming out round like that too. How do you guys give them that cool flat look. I was using 5 strands of .5 ribbon, do you need more? I was going to try hammering them but don't have a nice small, flat headed hammer.

Mythical_OD

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Ive got a few UD spool tamers coming today. Not sure how they differ from the brand you guys are talking about, but hopefully they work all the same in regards to using them to wrap wire. Well see. Either way though, they are much more expensive. I bought 5 for around $12-$14 I think, far off from $16 for 25 (Ima need that link btw lol)

Dawn0810

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
@raymo2u
So I was at Dollar Tree it's just a dollar store but I think they have them all around and I picked up a bunch of these to keep my coils together that have the same ohms just thought I'd share because they're great for than and all my extra screws are in one then grub nuts in another one and o-rings in a third
Image1461868390.555198.jpg
The possibilities are endless I tell you lmao

Sent from the lab in my basement of vapement

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
How long does one spool tamer last?
@raymo2u
So I was at Dollar Tree it's just a dollar store but I think they have them all around and I picked up a bunch of these to keep my coils together that have the same ohms just thought I'd share because they're great for than and all my extra screws are in one then grub nuts in another one and o-rings in a third
View attachment 49142

I have something similar I used to keep my RC parts in....they are all black with a semi transparent smoked lid....they are great to have!

blakemorder

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
@raymo2u
View attachment 49142

I actually have a couple like that from work, one is a wicking station and the others are just for random shit that'll fit in them. They're very handy

CrazyChef

Custom Hand Crafted Coils - PureCoils.com
VU Vendor
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Nicely done! The Supreme is next on my "Gotta Have It" list.

mach1ne

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
My staples are coming out round like that too. How do you guys give them that cool flat look. I was using 5 strands of .5 ribbon, do you need more? I was going to try hammering them but don't have a nice small, flat headed hammer.
these are 6x .4mm like chef suggested. they are not round when you are closely inspecting them, but the difference between width and height is only .2mm so it doesnt really come across in my pictures. i didnt consider hammering them. feels like hammering 40g wraps would just destroy them. do people normally hammer staples?

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Try using straight vg on them and run your fingers up it a number of times, then use some 40g and do large spaced wraps all the way up the length....dont do it too tight-then you can slide it up while your framing and wrapping it all up

BrattVapes

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Try using straight vg on them and run your fingers up it a number of times, then use some 40g and do large spaced wraps all the way up the length....dont do it too tight-then you can slide it up while your framing and wrapping it all up
It's getting them stacked before I wrap them up in small gauge wire... That's the issue.

I had moderate success once with tips from someone here who made a video (forgot the user, I'm sorry!!!)

It's just such a pita. I've taken to using a swivel hook in a vice and throwing the 3 strands in, pinching at the middle, and trying to wrap from there.

The real issue I've noticed, and maybe it's me being wayy to analytical about wire...

But to me I run into issues when attempting this method because my wire doesn't stack well at the swivel where it's pinched, they aren't laying side by side by side, they are all over the place ...

It's hard to describe, but I'm going to try something tonight with it.

I think it might have a shot of working right if I take two pieces, put them through the swivel, stack those and tie wire around those two. Then add one more strand. Tie that to the other two once the third strand of ribbon is stacked neatly on the previous two. Then do one more time with a 4th. . .
I think that might yield better results.

How do you guys take your ribbon off the spool without so much haphazardness going on with the section you cut off? I'm cutting ~12-16 inch strands and they go nuts, and pulling tension a couple times before I cut off the spool hasn't helped thus far.

There's no way to straighten the wire out like typical round wire. It bugs me.

Matt

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
It's getting them stacked before I wrap them up in small gauge wire... That's the issue.

I had moderate success once with tips from someone here who made a video (forgot the user, I'm sorry!!!)

It's just such a pita. I've taken to using a swivel hook in a vice and throwing the 3 strands in, pinching at the middle, and trying to wrap from there.

The real issue I've noticed, and maybe it's me being wayy to analytical about wire...

But to me I run into issues when attempting this method because my wire doesn't stack well at the swivel where it's pinched, they aren't laying side by side by side, they are all over the place ...

It's hard to describe, but I'm going to try something tonight with it.

I think it might have a shot of working right if I take two pieces, put them through the swivel, stack those and tie wire around those two. Then add one more strand. Tie that to the other two once the third strand of ribbon is stacked neatly on the previous two. Then do one more time with a 4th. . .
I think that might yield better results.

How do you guys take your ribbon off the spool without so much haphazardness going on with the section you cut off? I'm cutting ~12-16 inch strands and they go nuts, and pulling tension a couple times before I cut off the spool hasn't helped thus far.

There's no way to straighten the wire out like typical round wire. It bugs me.

Matt
I have the spool on my finger at the middle and I take the ribbon and pull it straight out and snip it and it will fall a inch to the bench and then I repeat. If you Ribbon isnt straight try pulling hard on it when pulling then length out, pull it out then a tug then snip it. Much like stretching N80.

Dawn0810

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Ive got a few UD spool tamers coming today. Not sure how they differ from the brand you guys are talking about, but hopefully they work all the same in regards to using them to wrap wire. Well see. Either way though, they are much more expensive. I bought 5 for around $12-$14 I think, far off from $16 for 25 (Ima need that link btw lol)
I found them on eBay they're beadalon they might have them in a craft store as the where designed for craft wire but a lot of the beading supplies work amazing for vaping!!!!

JERUS

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I found them on eBay they're beadalon they might have them in a craft store as the where designed for craft wire but a lot of the beading supplies work amazing for vaping!!!!
The first SS wire I bought was meant for beading applications

Mythical_OD

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
So for you guys who have the beadalon branded ones, whats the inner diameter of them? Like roughly? Or how long are they when theyre pinched and pulled taught (in like a straight line, ya know)?

The UD ones seem uber small, even with the slack let all the way out. They dont work on my Lightning Vapes spools at all, they are way WAY too tight. So Im pretty damn pissed I just spent almost $20 on shit I cant use. Smh, just my luck.

Dawn0810

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
So for you guys who have the beadalon branded ones, whats the inner diameter of them? Like roughly? Or how long are they when theyre pinched and pulled taught (in like a straight line, ya know)?

The UD ones seem uber small, even with the slack let all the way out. They dont work on my Lightning Vapes spools at all, they are way WAY too tight. So Im pretty damn pissed I just spent almost $20 on shit I cant use. Smh, just my luck.
They work on LV because I mainly use them id say without any adjustments they are about 60mm without being adjusted

Dawn0810

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I know they fit perfectly on LV wire they have probably another in of slack that could fit thicker gauge wire when they're laying flat they're about 3 inches so about 6 inches all the way around that's without any stretching

VU Sponsors