Become a Patron!

Post your builds

JERUS

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
For stretching N80 I do it while its pulling off thew spool, I hold the spool with one hand and then use pliers to stretch it straight then I clip it.

I stretch my decored clapton buy leaving some wire at both ends, taking one end of the wire and you know on most drill you have a Flathead/Phillips head bit clipping thing at the bottom of the drill...I put the wire over the mount and then put the bit over it, and then I run across my office to stretch it...
Here:
DSC03320.jpg
:bliss:Why am I picturing this? Yes it's 8:30 in the morning and yes I'm already drunk, want to fight about it?

On a more reasonable note, I should be getting a great drill today, going up to my grandparents vacant home to fix some stuff up to sell it. Going to raid his workshop for some tools that very unfortunately he'll never be able to use again.

AlbyKortoona

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
You probably have some of these laying around to make a mod.

huh, can't get the picture to post. pmag 20

Last edited:

iSubOhm

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Another way to twist Staple wire. I get one end stacked and then masking tape it, a fair amount this end is going in the chuck. Then I chase it down the line and capture it every few inches with a small piece of masking tape. When it's all straight I bend the other end into a loop, tape it down and put it on the swivel. Pull the drill motor tight and clamp it, then can remove the small pieces of tape. It's working pretty good, you don't have that tag end of the wire flapping around, and you can go as fast as doing claptons.View attachment 49258 View attachment 49259 View attachment 49260

6 x 0.5k wrapped with 38n
Can you please make a video tutorial showing this? I punch myself in the face over these and I haven't ever even tried what the vape is like!

Instagram: @ohmmage

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Some stuff I made this morning...
A Single Coil for the Double Vision, I though making mirrored parallels with the Half Staggered Coils would be cool, they heat up nicley!
20160430_133040.jpg 20160430_133016.jpg 20160430_131249.jpg

Ramp up:
99f0d2c5b0c0015aecbbffb074950e28.gif

I wanted to put a useful build into the So Horney RDA that makes its size usefull, I may do Quads next time...
20160430_141245.jpg 20160430_141341.jpg 20160430_141823.jpg 20160430_141930.jpg

Ramp Up:

4e2c010bbda1bdc898d116ddc601b8d2.gif

AlbyKortoona

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
Raymo is the man you want to talk to about that. Hell, I don't even have a smart phone let alone video lol.

edit - is there some way to delete a double post? :confused:

Last edited:

AlbyKortoona

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
Can you please make a video tutorial showing this? I punch myself in the face over these and I haven't ever even tried what the vape is like!

Instagram: @ohmmage

Raymo is the man to talk to for that. Hell, I don't even have a smart phone let alone video lol

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Raymo is the man you want to talk to about that. Hell, I don't even have a smart phone let alone video lol.
Ive seen a tut like that somewhere...Ill look for it. I just use one single piece of wire through the swivel and then fold it and put it into my dril chuck then stack the ribbon and secure it between the framed with 38g in various spots...Ive never put the Ribbon on the Swivels...

Watch this video for a good tut on getting everything done:

Vapingbeauty

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
That was an impulse buy I didn't even hear of it yet. I also got the Istick 200w TC for 30$ I figured why not I paid 65$ for my 50w at a vape shop when I first started and didn't know about the savings online

Sent from the lab in my basement of vapement
Now since I got you vaping your addicted to everything vape lol

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

JERUS

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Touché lol I'm not much of an eBay shopper though. I'm happy with almost 2k ft of wire for less than 50 USD including 4 freaking bucks for 100 ft of 30 gauge and 32. No clue what I'll use it for but I have it now.
I've been doing lots of smaller FCs, I have a 27g FC in my Boreas, 32g in my Diablo, and 30g in my Derringer. If my head can leave me alone for a bit I might try and get some more 32g wrapped up tonight for a quad coil series setup (my NC is riding the bench right now :(, Avocado broke! gotta get something going)

I got a new drill today, nothing crazy just 1400RPM, I was going to grab the 2400RPM one but the jaws didn't close tight, so I'll have to order one of those clamps and grab that drill next time.

And the crazy thing about the LV sale is the free shipping. $2.50 for some of the spools and free shipping? How?

blakemorder

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I've been doing lots of smaller FCs, I have a 27g FC in my Boreas, 32g in my Diablo, and 30g in my Derringer. If my head can leave me alone for a bit I might try and get some more 32g wrapped up tonight for a quad coil series setup (my NC is riding the bench right now :(, Avocado broke! gotta get something going)

I got a new drill today, nothing crazy just 1400RPM, I was going to grab the 2400RPM one but the jaws didn't close tight, so I'll have to order one of those clamps and grab that drill next time.

And the crazy thing about the LV sale is the free shipping. $2.50 for some of the spools and free shipping? How?
I don't know and I didn't ask questions lol. Short of eBay the prices are the best ive ever seen, my 100' of 26g n80 was like 6 bucks, which will last me a couple months building for just myself.

JERUS

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I don't know and I didn't ask questions lol. Short of eBay the prices are the best ive ever seen, my 100' of 26g n80 was like 6 bucks, which will last me a couple months building for just myself.
I have a feeling I won't need to be ordering any time soon either. Filled in the spots I felt I was missing with the LV sales, then bought the k.bee bundle for SS and just... well it'll be years before I use all of this stuff. The only thing I'll not be stocked at ~100' is 28g Kanthal.

JERUS

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Tips on keeping 3 cores from overlapping?:

Rhett1977

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I have a feeling I won't need to be ordering any time soon either. Filled in the spots I felt I was missing with the LV sales, then bought the k.bee bundle for SS and just... well it'll be years before I use all of this stuff. The only thing I'll not be stocked at ~100' is 28g Kanthal.

Who is LV?

JERUS

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Ahh thank you @JERUS. I haven't learned all the acronyms used on here yet
There's a LOT, that's not a typical one, but as we were discussing it I got lazy and didn't feel like typing out the whole thing :D

Rhett1977

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
It's all good. FT stumped me for days and I finally asked. Hell I've ordered from them for a year or better and couldn't think of fasttech. Inthe dimmer bulb in the string. :idea:

JERUS

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
It's all good. FT stumped me for days and I finally asked. Hell I've ordered from them for a year or better and couldn't think of fasttech. Inthe dimmer bulb in the string. :idea:
:D There's at least a dozen things that come to mind with the abbreviation FT, I'd be lying if I said I got that one quickly.

blakemorder

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Tips on keeping 3 cores from overlapping?:
What kind of build? If it's not a staggered fused I just use a paperclip or piece of 36g that I can slide up and down. Also when your loading in the swivel *try* to keep the tension of the core as even as possible. I'll dig up a pic for you.
3f508d231d5b8474158617140583cdf1.jpg

It's a framed staple but same idea.

Dawn0810

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Wire wire wire I love wire and some day I might use it!! Ok question I haven't watched what's a trick to the "staple" business @raymo2u gave an awesome tip that saved my sanity on spaced claptons so thank you. I haven't even opened the ribbon wire I might try to handle that since I have more coming which is a good number to start with when stacking them?

Dawn0810

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Now since I got you vaping your addicted to everything vape lol

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
Yes I blame you!!!! That's my story and I'm sticking to it. I started vaping on my own you just showed me where to buy stuff that was like 1/3 of the price which led to my massive collection well.... Of everything that is vape from building to making juice

Dawn0810

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
How about you my CrazyChef? I know you have some skills

CrazyChef

Custom Hand Crafted Coils - PureCoils.com
VU Vendor
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I just use half of the required number of pieces of ribbon needed. Secure one end with wire, "comb" them with a 50/50 PG/VG blend, fold them over to double the amount of stacks, then secure the folded end with more wire. That's really all there is to it.

JERUS

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
What kind of build? If it's not a staggered fused I just use a paperclip or piece of 36g that I can slide up and down. Also when your loading in the swivel *try* to keep the tension of the core as even as possible. I'll dig up a pic for you.
3f508d231d5b8474158617140583cdf1.jpg

It's a framed staple but same idea.
Just a triple core FC until I get it down.

Dawn0810

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I just use half of the required number of pieces of ribbon needed. Secure one end with wire, "comb" them with a 50/50 PG/VG blend, fold them over to double the amount of stacks, then secure the folded end with more wire. That's really all there is to it.
You're a fricken genius see a tip like that saves me from grey hair

Dawn0810

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
One more ? Which out of all the builds do you or any else thinks gives the best flavor because since I got the notch coils it's hard to find anything that's close to it

CrazyChef

Custom Hand Crafted Coils - PureCoils.com
VU Vendor
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Alien framed staples, hands down. They give you the most bang for your buck. But they can be a bitch to make in higher resistance coils - for the flavor to really stand out, you need at least 5 ribbon cores. This will obviously lower the resistance. Otherwise, my "go to" coil is now the standard alien coil. A 0.50Ω high gauge dual coil installation on the Petri V2 on the Noisy Cricket is the next best thing to Vaping Nirvana.

AlbyKortoona

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
I drilled a hole in my desk for a screw which now has the fishing line swivels on it. Thanks for the idea. I think I will think screw in something else on my desk which can hold the reels. I will also try one of those elastic wire things anschutz54 suggested. Now I guess I should figure out how to give just the right amount of tension on the spoon so that it doesn't spin freely, but at the same time be able to feed the wire smoothly.

If you set up your drill motor and swivel high enough that the wire spool with the spool tamer on it can hang under the wire, with the correct tension on the elastic band it will ride along the wire and clapton that core without even touching it. Pull off a foot from the wrap spool, get the wrap going by hand and let it pull the spool up to the core, position the core inside the legs of the spool with the hole in the spool tamer right next to the core. When all set up it will just clapton all by itself. Hope that was understandable, might be too early/not enough coffee to correctly say what I'm thinking. :confused:

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Okay...

Here's a picture tut on how to set up and how I do it (It was rushed so its a bit sloppier then it should be..)
I used 28N80 Cores, 34N80 Clapton and 38KD to Fused..I suggest using 26N80 to start with as your cores...
This method uses the Spool Tamers...its the most effecient method Ive used....works EVERY time.

Get your Wire ready!
40a9098adb25cbf8fc8cc6397575c801.jpg

Get your spool at a angle at which it feeds the wire with a space between the clapton and then just keep the spool from twirling or spinning the whole length of the core.
781a6754ab6be98ae1c74be8a8a8f683.jpg
3fe5fc14c3c3640c14a0ab2f26e3dceb.jpg

Cut your finished spaced clapton in sections (I did 4) and then I used 38g to wrap it up at the end so it doesnt split or go crazy in the chuck when tightening it down. Center it so its just above the center of the drill between 2 sides of the chuck so it stays flat. Set a paperclip down about a inch and a half so secure the pieces.

1c256a310a46463b2858186ed4ad5f2f.jpg
364d62652055fca54354ba84dbf0237d.jpg
22de13713aa62b98ef7f5103562a68ca.jpg

As you can see my 3rd clapton is the one that was from the beginning of the clapton, usually I cut that piece off but I just skipped it with a quick wrap up...If you dont skip a section like that it WILL cause headache the rest of the way...

Spin the drill slowly, once you start going faster you will screw up, find a steady pace that allows the wire to click in place the entire journey...with less cores you can actually get it going quickly but with more then 3 cores the up and down actually pulls the wire and then it loosens, your wires start bunching up...Every inch or so stop and pinch the wires, this forces the wires to stay in the grooves...If you dont pinch every so often the fusing wire can pop out if the wire twists enough..

8f4c6f0b96b3ed5da339e24af049d2b2.jpg

After about a half hour you should have enough for a Dual Coil...I usually go over the entire length with the Nylon pliers and pinch little sections at a time.

a27ccaeffedf0a8c3535b4020fca4728.jpg
646f8394691b13e2ee52427782aae79a.jpg

Like I said this was rushed to finish so its not as sexy as wheat Ive done the last few times but with a bit of extra care you can pull it off easily...its just time consuming.

20160501_125737.jpg 20160501_125544.jpg 20160501_125601.jpg 20160501_125619.jpg 20160501_125706.jpg

fantasticplastic

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
If you set up your drill motor and swivel high enough that the wire spool with the spool tamer on it can hang under the wire, with the correct tension on the elastic band it will ride along the wire and clapton that core without even touching it. Pull off a foot from the wrap spool, get the wrap going by hand and let it pull the spool up to the core, position the core inside the legs of the spool with the hole in the spool tamer right next to the core. When all set up it will just clapton all by itself. Hope that was understandable, might be too early/not enough coffee to correctly say what I'm thinking. :confused:

I think I am going to have to re read your tip when I am building my next coil. At this moment in time, it sounds like wizardry to hear about self winding claptons. :D I need more practice.

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
If its dual core its easy enough to go full speed and fuse it by hand, spacing the clapton is the more difficult part and thats whay I would suggest using to do it...try that with 3 or more cores lol

I only get some updates after the last update of tapatalk.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk
I dont use tapatalk...I find it unusable...

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Dual Reef Coil
.5mm Ni80 ribbon twisted tight
24g Ni89 Core
2.5mm 5 wrap
.2 ohms each
After I pulsed them they came up from .1 ohms to .15 ohms.
View attachment 49463
Next time try .3 or .4 ribbon and try twisting the Ribbon about 3 times more then that, if it breaks put it back in the drill and do that 2-3 times...This make the design look much crazier.

AlbyKortoona

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
Dual Reef Coil
.5mm Ni80 ribbon twisted tight
24g Ni89 Core
2.5mm 5 wrap
.2 ohms each
After I pulsed them they came up from .1 ohms to .15 ohms.
View attachment 49463

How does it vape? Looks like a huge amount of surface area. Gonna try that one....

edit - dang it should have ordered that Nichrome ribbon. Will have to try kanthal for now

VU Sponsors