Squonkers are Bonkers

gopher_byrd

Cranky Old Fart
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
What am I missing about mech mods? They don't last long enough for me to enjoy them,besides reliability am I missing something?

Sent from my HTC Desire 626s using Tapatalk
Reliability is the big thing for me. Long past any board mod, my mechs will still be going strong. If vapagedon happens, having some mechs in your arsenal is important. Prepare for the worst, work for the best.

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
I love mechs over regulated - especially for squonking - it is a superior vape, smoother somehow

Besides that, I'm just not a techie person at all

I understand exactly how a mech works and I feel the vape is more consistent and behaves better with a mech

Can't stand having to twiddle around to adjust a mod so the atomizer behaves how I want it to

Mechs just never let me down and it just vapes better

Also find the longevity factor highly appealing

Can't imagine having to rebuild a Inbox or what have you

gopher_byrd

Cranky Old Fart
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Threw in a quicky round wire coil in a Gorge. First impressions is it's not quite up to the level of the Hadaly. However before fully pronouncing any verdict I need to take some time and play with it some.

Jasonrecio

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Can you clarify this statement?

A good mech will last you forever if you maintain it, might have to rebuild the internals, but should last a lifetime :)
I meant the battery life sucks compared to a regulated single battery MOD.

Jasonrecio

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Can you clarify this statement?

A good mech will last you forever if you maintain it, might have to rebuild the internals, but should last a lifetime :)
BTW congrats on that regulated Voopoo,I had my hopes on that win.

Giraut

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
What am I missing about mech mods? They don't last long enough for me to enjoy them,besides reliability am I missing something?

Most mech users size their coils to chuck huge-ass clouds, meaning they have to use batteries that can deliver the amps with a lesser capacity, and of course they use up the batteries faster - hence the short enjoyment time.

However, if you do a build for a relaxed vape at reasonable power, you can use batteries with a higher capacity and they'll last you a lot longer throughout the day.

Me, when I use my mechs (which is exceedingly rare, but... sometimes I do :)), I use cheesy 3000mAh Surefire batteries with a 0.5Ω build: it yields between 25W and 30W, and one battery lasts me between half a day and a full day depending on how much I vape. Better, since I use thinner wires for the coils, it ramps up faster than you'd think.

JuicyLucy

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
BTW congrats on that regulated Voopoo,I had my hopes on that win.

I only entered the contest because it has my nomination as best new name of 2017 :giggle:

Actually seems like it could be a pretty decent mod, but the name is VooPoo Drag is going to turn off almost all English speakers of the vape world, lol

Train

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Thought that might be what you meant. And it's just wrong.
By default, overall in general, the AVERAGE mech will have less internal resistance and wasted battery than a mod that's got to power a board and electronic switch. Battery life - give the same battery, is then entirely a matter of the build.

Now if you're planning to vape a 1-battery mech at 0.1 ohms, then you're going to have poor run time - but it'll be a LITTLE better in a well-built mech than it would be most regulated devices.

I meant the battery life sucks compared to a regulated single battery MOD.

Mike H.

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Ok, so its bf rda atty time...3f vape seems to have a pretty decent selection and looking for suggestions...i like both ends of the spectrum as far as my vape so im lookinig for both MTL and cloud attys as well as most anything in between.

Right now my list is dismal at best with a Maze V2, a cheap goon clone which im actually liking and a Narda clone.

Im aware of the ShenRay Hadaly and this is on the list but i need more as i want to make one big purchase and get a bunch out of the way to try out.

Any recommendations appreciated.

Giraut

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
By default, overall in general, the AVERAGE mech will have less internal resistance and wasted battery than a mod that's got to power a board and electronic switch.

That don't really enter into it. The thing with mechs is, the vape can start being quite disappointing when the battery drops below nominal voltage at no load - when they still have quite a lot of life left in them - at which point you want to replace it to get the vape goodness back. Regulated mods on the other hand can suck a battery dry and provide the same vape quality from start to finish.

JuicyLucy

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Right now my list is dismal at best with a Maze V2

I highly recommend you NOT BUY THE MAZE - there are way better bf atties out there

SteelDriver

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Ok, so its bf rda atty time...3f vape seems to have a pretty decent selection and looking for suggestions...i like both ends of the spectrum as far as my vape so im lookinig for both MTL and cloud attys as well as most anything in between.

Right now my list is dismal at best with a Maze V2, a cheap goon clone which im actually liking and a Narda clone.

Im aware of the ShenRay Hadaly and this is on the list but i need more as i want to make one big purchase and get a bunch out of the way to try out.

O atty clone

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Mike H.

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I highly recommend you NOT BUY THE MAZE - there are way better bf atties out there
It came with the VT75 InBox mod...i like it but i know there is better out there...My cheap $8 FT goon kills it flavor and cloud wise..lol

Jasonrecio

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
That don't really enter into it. The thing with mechs is, the vape can start being quite disappointing when the battery drops below nominal voltage at no load - when they still have quite a lot of life left in them - at which point you want to replace it to get the vape goodness back. Regulated mods on the other hand can suck a battery dry and provide the same vape quality from start to finish.
That's what I'm talking about!!

JuicyLucy

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
It came with the VT75 InBox mod...i like it but i know there is better out there...My cheap $8 FT goon kills it flavor and cloud wise..lol

Oh, that's where mine came from also, lol

I misunderstood and thought you were buying one :facepalm: It was like "noooo, don't do it Mike!!!"

JuicyLucy

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years

You might want to look at the Odis - a lot of folks like it better than the NarDa. I am one of them, lol

Train

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I gotcha - and that's valid...but I build for optimal enjoyment (what else?) - and so my vape is just how i like it for the "meat" of the runtime - I'm perfectly happy with it from 4.2 down to like 3.7.

And since I run a few at once, I'm not sure - but that's pretty much all day for me (I'm at about 0.4-0.5 ohms).
It's got a little extra kick for the first bit, then runs nice 'til I swap out.

Occasionally, I'll notice somethings vaping weak - and find I've run down below that - like 3.5 or lower. Most of the time, I just swap a battery when I think "gee, it's been a while" - and find it's still at 3.8 or up...

Train

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Hmm. Interesting atties from 3F?
Well, everyone should have an Origen Little. :)They're tiny, good quality, great flavor...and tiny.
I actually still kinda like the Pancake. (sold out).

I'm still pretty pleased with the Advken Gorge - IF you like bigger air. I don't think it really shines closed down, but if you want a pretty open lung draw, I like it. If you like restricted air, then Hadaly is definitely good...

In fact, for "big air" I found my clone Goon sucked, so I'd recommend either an authentic Goon, or the Advken Gorge, or maybe the SMJY No Legal. It might not LOOK airy, but it is...at least for me it is...
And yeah - those two are a bit pricier.

And a couple I haven't tried yet: Wasp Nano (i got mine, but it's missing a bf pin), and a Viper V2 I just ordered...

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Got my gorge 2 weeks from 3fvape
63fd1a6a07eb3505ab902b198ced45a5.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
Hope you enjoy the Gorge....I enjoyed being a part of its design ;)

Your feedback would be appreciated after you've used it enough!

fartbubble

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Hmm. Interesting atties from 3F?
Well, everyone should have an Origen Little. :)They're tiny, good quality, great flavor...and tiny.
I actually still kinda like the Pancake. (sold out).

I'm still pretty pleased with the Advken Gorge - IF you like bigger air. I don't think it really shines closed down, but if you want a pretty open lung draw, I like it. If you like restricted air, then Hadaly is definitely good...

In fact, for "big air" I found my clone Goon sucked, so I'd recommend either an authentic Goon, or the Advken Gorge, or maybe the SMJY No Legal. It might not LOOK airy, but it is...at least for me it is...
And yeah - those two are a bit pricier.
And a couple I haven't tried yet: Wasp Nano (i got mine, but it's missing a bf pin), and a Viper V2 I just ordered...

Will second the NoLegal and rec Split RDTA and the ShenRay Hadaly

Train

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I wrote a few lines about it the night I fired it up.
I may want to pull one wrap off that build, and see how she runs a touch hotter - but it's definitely well thought out, thanks!
I'd already recommend it for someone who wants more open air than a Hadaly or Narda...

Hope you enjoy the Gorge....I enjoyed being a part of its design ;)

Your feedback would be appreciated after you've used it enough!

minimalsaint

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I can relate - was sent a sample of some Caramel Waffle Crunch and it was so good I've vape-guzzled over 240 mls since December

Am hanging my head in shame to admit this :facepalm:

Almost 4 years into DIY and I've never been able to mix a custard or dessert that was worth a damn, too many ingredients to muck around with and steeping can kiss my ass.
Occasionally I'll put on my trench coat and dark glasses and venture to the local vape shop to nab a 30ml treat of this bear claw liquid they mix in-house..... so good..... but it's also sickly oversweetened and 5 or 6 puffs with my evening coffee usually does me for the day.

BrandonRawks

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year

They can also be much smaller than regulated mods, and many find them more aesthetically pleasing. How long they last depends on how you build. I tend to run single coils and I don't build super low resistance, so an Orca can easily last me all day with a single 18650. But it's so tiny, I always carry two so I can also rotate flavors.

Aside from that, I just really enjoy building for them. I believe having to really think and pay attention to how I put a coil together makes me a better builder overall. To some, me included, there's something.... different about how they hit as well. Maybe it's because the battery is slowly draining and it doesn't have the consistency that others love from their regulated devices. Whatever it is, I really enjoy it. I use regulated mods too, and I think both have their place, but if someone told me today I had to choose what to use for the rest of my life, it would be a mech bottom feeder.

JuicyLucy

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Yeah, I didn't buy any juice for over a year, and then I won some Golden Ticket, it was really good, then got that sample of the Waffle Crunch, super delicious, so thought maybe juices had gotten better.

Got some down in Seattle last December, made me want to upchuck. Bought some of that Crunchy stuff online and another bottle of Mint Ice Cream by the same maker - was like eating old gum from under the table when I was a kid :eek:

BrandonRawks

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Yeah, I didn't buy any juice for over a year, and then I won some Golden Ticket, it was really good, then got that sample of the Waffle Crunch, super delicious, so thought maybe juices had gotten better.

Got some down in Seattle last December, made me want to upchuck. Bought some of that Crunchy stuff online and another bottle of Mint Ice Cream by the same maker - was like eating old gum from under the table when I was a kid :eek:

Golden ticket keeps tempting me. It sounds like something I'd like, but so many juices are so loaded with sweetener, the coils are gunked before you can get 3 hits in and the flavor is nothing but sickly sweet syrup. Despite all this, there are a few juices I do buy now and then that are on the sweet side, but taste good and don't murder the coils. How was Golden Ticket in that respect?

JuicyLucy

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Golden ticket keeps tempting me. It sounds like something I'd like, but so many juices are so loaded with sweetener, the coils are gunked before you can get 3 hits in and the flavor is nothing but sickly sweet syrup. Despite all this, there are a few juices I do buy now and then that are on the sweet side, but taste good and don't murder the coils. How was Golden Ticket in that respect?

It tasted just like a glass of perfectly mixed Nestles Quick

Didn't screw with the coils at all, but I pulse and rewick religiously every week. Found a good clone recipe for it too

BrandonRawks

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
It tasted just like a glass of perfectly mixed Nestles Quick

Didn't screw with the coils at all, but I pulse and rewick religiously every week. Found a good clone recipe for it too

That's good to hear, thank you! I'm like you, I dry burn and rewick everything each week. If you think about it sometime and it's not too much trouble, I'd love to be pointed in the direction of that recipe!

BrewBear

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
That's good to hear, thank you! I'm like you, I dry burn and rewick everything each week. If you think about it sometime and it's not too much trouble, I'd love to be pointed in the direction of that recipe!
That's a very nice and polite way of saying : @JuicyLucy , could we please have that recipe?
It actually echoes my thoughts !

RonJS

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Am hanging my head in shame to admit this :facepalm:

No reason for that! Not unless you are also ashamed to eat in a restaurant instead of at home. :)

In addition, how can you make an even better tasting clone of a delicious commercial juice unless you first sample it?

Ron
---
"You and I will not make garbage. We will produce a chemically pure and stable product that performs as advertised. "-Walter White

JuicyLucy

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Golden Ticket clone:

7.5 % TFA Double Chocolate clear

3 % TFA Vanilla Swirl

1% FLA Marshmallow

1.5 % EM

Train

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Last couple times I tried commercial juice, it was just nasty to me. I have a big bottle I got free that I suppose I'll try one of these days.
Fortunately for me, I have a single flavor I can happily vape all day every day. I want variety - I have 10 mods loaded up with it, and they all vape a little different. :D:D

I was runnin' low, so just today, I whipped up a little batch.
735 mls actually...:)

(I put 105mls in a 120 ml bottle to facilitate shaking)

And as for steeping - it's easy. When I say "running low," I mean, I'll probably need to open one of those bottles in about a month.

VU Sponsors