Become a Patron!

The BOREAS RTA by Augvape and Roxy

Mythical_OD

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
So just real quick, for wicking, do you actually pull some cotton through the juice flow holes or just tuck the wicks under the coils and push em up agains the holes? Seems like youd just set them, but just wanna be sure as it took me FOREVER to get these fused claptons to finally ramp up at the same rate and glow even. I just wanna be done with it at this point lol

roxynoodle

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
So just real quick, for wicking, do you actually pull some cotton through the juice flow holes or just tuck the wicks under the coils and push em up agains the holes? Seems like youd just set them, but just wanna be sure as it took me FOREVER to get these fused claptons to finally ramp up at the same rate and glow even. I just wanna be done with it at this point lol

Just tuck them and lay them over the holes. Make sure the holes are covered, but don't push the wicks in them.

roxynoodle

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
I've never met a guy named Roxy. Lots of Rockys.

Mikhail Naumov

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
Unlisted Vendor
I was never saying the Kayfun had lost its purpose. It's still the go-to standard for single coil, lower wattage, thinner juice, mouth-to-lung style vaping. I'm just saying if Svoemesto pulled an Evolv and threw down the personal rule book and released a large deck 25mm tank we'd all be blown away.

I should design my own RTA, call it the Serbian 110%.

roxynoodle

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
I was never saying the Kayfun had lost its purpose. It's still the go-to standard for single coil, lower wattage, thinner juice, mouth-to-lung style vaping. I'm just saying if Svoemesto pulled an Evolv and threw down the personal rule book and released a large deck 25mm tank we'd all be blown away.

And next month they're screwed by that EU legislation :(

A Boreas with a 2ml capacity would be scary.

ej1024

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years

WORD!!! give us details??

Mikhail Naumov

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
Unlisted Vendor
Actually my homeland of Serbia falls outside of the EU along with Russia and most other Slavic post-soviet states. So not everyone would be screwed. I'm glad I live in Tennessee now, CASAA and the TSFA along with a certain local shop is doing a damned good job with the help of the vapers. I wish I could say the same for the northern states, poor Indiana. The TPD is just damned evil.

Also, while I definitely would love designing an RTA, the Serbian 110% was joke playing on the Russian 91% tank. Also, I rather enjoyed the Moonshot. I feel its short chimney length as a result of the small capacity leads it to produce the most flavor out of all my non-RDTA style tanks.

ej1024

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Actually my homeland of Serbia falls outside of the EU along with Russia and most other Slavic post-soviet states. So not everyone would be screwed. I'm glad I live in Tennessee now, CASAA and the TSFA along with a certain local shop is doing a damned good job with the help of the vapers. I wish I could say the same for the northern states, poor Indiana. The TPD is just damned evil.

Also, while I definitely would love designing an RTA, the Serbian 110% was joke playing on the Russian 91% tank.
Come on men!! SERBIAN RTA give us INFO

Mikhail Naumov

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
Unlisted Vendor
God that's just horrifying. People think 'at least it isn't here' but yet the collateral damage will still be felt. While the TPD won't have an affect on all of Europe and the US, as well as other places, manufacturers will still be releasing tanks like the Moonshot with 2ml capacity and we'll see a lot of that stuff on the market in the coming months with less and less large tanks. Good lord.

Find me a willing company like Augvape did with Roxy and I'll design a Serbian 110%. I've always had this idea for a Avocado-style RTA that uses a full sized 22mm deck but in a 25mm format, then implement a counter-weight system that forces a piece to rise as the juice capacity falls, meaning juice would always be in contact with the wicks up top. Putting this into action would be pretty difficult though, and likely expensive.

roxynoodle

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
God that's just horrifying. People think 'at least it isn't here' but yet the collateral damage will still be felt. While the TPD won't have an affect on all of Europe and the US, as well as other places, manufacturers will still be releasing tanks like the Moonshot with 2ml capacity and we'll see a lot of that stuff on the market in the coming months with less and less large tanks. Good lord.

Yep, we will.

And no idea what the FDA will do to us. Or the states.

Mythical_OD

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Finally got my Boreas all set up and rolling. Pain in the ass those fused claptons were, took way way longer than it should have.

But now I gotta say, this tank is the shit! For real, Roxy, you knocked this shit outta the park. Its got nice flavor, but not overwhelming like the Alleria is. The airflow is completely on point, for real. I think this is the best airflow Ive had on a tank. It hits like a wide open RDA with the air wide open, its amazing. Only been vaping on it for 15 minutes or so, so cant really comment on the wicking system and juice flow, but if everything else is an indicator thatll be on point too.

I had no problem with leaking while filling the tank, so dunno whats up with that. Well see how it acts in the future, but as of now this is hands down my favorite tank lol. Fuckin well done Roxy! Youre the best.

k_robeson

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
So this is the first time I have read any of this about any drama over this tank! I am an RTA nut....always looking for that perfect RTA to replace the bought coils. I ordered the tank last night and it will be here Wednesday! I have most of the major players in RTAs like the VCMT, Griffin, MT-RTA, and every stupid RTA deck smok builds and I am finally truly excited for what you guys say this tank will offer me which is +120w vaping on 80/20 juice and never get a dry unflavorful hit. The only one to come close is the griffin, but I feel there is some muted flavor there and it wasn't ran anywhere near 100w.

Mikhail Naumov

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
Unlisted Vendor
Well, i need to say :goodnight: I hope you will be enjoying your Boreas @Mythical_OD

I need to be up early to see my pain mgt doctor.

I literally went to bed at the same time as you for a very similar reason. Then had some bizarre dream where I ate a bunch of hallucinogenic plants and ended up climbing a mountain into space and ended up fighting Samuel L. Jackson. This is just strange. Off to the doctor now.

Powerman

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Well Humm.... Mixed results so far. My TC is not real happy. At first it was terrible. Checked screws again, one was loose. Better, but it still doesn't seem right. Tried power and slightly burnt a hit at 100w. Before I took it apart.

24g/9 wraps/4mm spaced coil. Wick is a little longer than deck but not by much. Covering the bottom of deck. TC is anemic, but I've learned that is usually wicking. Burning a hit at 100 tells me it's wick. Certainly not complicated. Cut wick put it in well.

Bad TC can also mean other connection issues, but burnt hit says it's not that.

dshuld

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
Well Humm.... Mixed results so far. My TC is not real happy. At first it was terrible. Checked screws again, one was loose. Better, but it still doesn't seem right. Tried power and slightly burnt a hit at 100w. Before I took it apart.

24g/9 wraps/4mm spaced coil. Wick is a little longer than deck but not by much. Covering the bottom of deck. TC is anemic, but I've learned that is usually wicking. Burning a hit at 100 tells me it's wick. Certainly not complicated. Cut wick put it in well.

I dont use temp control so wont speculate there. However, when I first got my mutank I made the coils 1 wrap to long (fused claptons) and put a pinch in the wick that I wouldnt have thought was the problem. After cutting a wrap off and rewicking with out the pinch it wicked perfectly so that may well be the problem.

Sent from my LG-H901 using Tapatalk

aldenf

Member For 5 Years

A 4mm i.d. coil needs a lot of wick. The harder you push your rig, the more spot-on your build needs to be.

Powerman

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I dont use temp control so wont speculate there. However, when I first got my mutank I made the coils 1 wrap to long (fused claptons) and put a pinch in the wick that I wouldnt have thought was the problem. After cutting a wrap off and rewicking with out the pinch it wicked perfectly so that may well be the problem.

It might be. I kept my coil the same distance as post holes so the wick would go straight down. It is laying in the bottom, but maybe be a bit to long. Does the wick need to touch the bottom and no more or can it sort of lay in bottom? It's not packed and just taking it apart the wick was more full than my normal velocity deck builds (griffin)

Powerman

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
A 4mm i.d. coil needs a lot of wick. The harder you push your rig, the more spot-on your build needs to be.
It's seems right. I've done both. Too little and too much. This is the same build I use for Griffin and VCMT25. It's about all I do. So I am pretty familiar with what I should be getting/expecting.

dshuld

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
It might be. I kept my coil the same distance as post holes so the wick would go straight down. It is laying in the bottom, but maybe be a bit to long. Does the wick need to touch the bottom and no more or can it sort of lay in bottom? It's not packed and just taking it apart the wick was more full than my normal velocity deck builds (griffin)
I folded mine in and tucked like I would a dripper. Then took my needle point tweezers and pushed back up through the wick holes a little. Before that I had a bit of dryhit type flavor above 50w. Ive not gone above 100w with mine but it was fine there but I settled in at 80w for the build I have in mine.

Powerman

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Ya, I have that or less.. It's vaping, but seems limited. I TC at 550-580,and it's nice and warm. If it's flooded then a lot of hot. This deck is putting out, but cool. Shouldn't be. And no initial punch. So it seems weak which is usually wick. I'm just not sure what to do about it. I guess I can trim it back

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
I said I would put something crazy into the Boreas last night....Ive done Crazy ID Coils in it but I havent done anything to build it for Surface Area yet...This should do it! .....Each one coil is wider then most Fused Clapton Dual coils combined....wrap for wrap. I think this is also on the 2mm Deck but Im not certain...it should do fine either way but I just wanted to try this thing out!

24N80/22KA1/24N80 Tri Core Fused Clapton (5 Wraps/3.5mm ID @ .08 Ohms)

20160405_121717.jpg 20160405_122903.jpg 20160405_122929.jpg 20160405_122951.jpg 20160405_123909.jpg

Last edited:

dshuld

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
Ya, I have that or less.. It's vaping, but seems limited. I TC at 550-580,and it's nice and warm. If it's flooded then a lot of hot. This deck is putting out, but cool. Shouldn't be. And no initial punch. So it seems weak which is usually wick. I'm just not sure what to do about it. I guess I can trim it back
Which deck were you using again?

aldenf

Member For 5 Years
I said I would put something crazy into the Boreas last night....Ive done Crazy ID Coils in it but I havent done anything to build it for Surface Area yet...This should do it! .....Each one coil is wider then most Fused Clapton Dual coils combined....wrap for wrap. I think this is also on the 2mm Deck but Im not certain...it should do fine either way but I just wanted to try this thing out!

24N80/22KA1/24N80 Tri Core Fused Clapton (5 Wraps/3.5mm ID @ .08 Ohms)

View attachment 46145 View attachment 46146 View attachment 46144 View attachment 46147 View attachment 46143

Beautiful. That's some serious surface area! Unfortunately, I don't have a device capable of handling a 0.08 Ohm load, unless it's Ni200 in TC... Windings are 40g KA1?

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Beautiful. That's some serious surface area! Unfortunately, I don't have a device capable of handling a 0.08 Ohm load, unless it's Ni200 in TC.
I usually run the Dual/Triple/Quad Parallel Box Mods when going under .1 but I love the Hohm Wrecker G2 for many reasons...It can fire down to .007 Ohms and can TC ANYTHING...Ive tried and it works wonderfully. Its 151w's feels twice as powerful then almost all my other 200w+ mods. The only thing I dont like is the designs on it...someday Ill machine them off and just have it smoothed out but for now it's my workhorse...
The Snow Wolf, Laisimo L1, IPV3 LI and others will fire down to .05 Ohms and the Xcube/R22 will fire down to .08...I wont buy a device that cant fire lower then .1...It would rarely get used.

dshuld

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
For reference her is my build on the 2.5mm deck. Wanna say I used a 3mm screw driver. 2x26/36 nicr.
4dddba920d1f57817dabacc6f78b3b92.jpg

WraithPC

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Got mine from STS this morning, broken o-rings on both decks, both have crooked posts, the insulators don't fit properly, one being much worse then the other.. Otherwise it is quite nice, bad luck I guess, buildable, but kinda annoying.

M3JPN5q.jpg

cs3eWVv.jpg

AwoStsV.jpg

Jh3GaZi.jpg

dshuld

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
Got mine from STS this morning, broken o-rings on both decks, both have crooked posts, the insulators don't fit properly, one being much worse then the other.. Otherwise it is quite nice, bad luck I guess, buildable, but kinda annoying.

M3JPN5q.jpg

cs3eWVv.jpg

AwoStsV.jpg

Jh3GaZi.jpg
Both my orings were snapped too. Didn't/havent had the post/insulator problems though. That sucks, have you emailed sts about it yet?

Powerman

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Which deck were you using again?

I'm using the 2mm deck. Figured I would start there. Cut my wick back. Little better. One end was a little kinked.

On new builds or tanks I usually check ohms on the DNA to see if it is steady. That tells you if there are connection issues. I forgot to do that so it will have to wait till I get home.

aldenf

Member For 5 Years

M3JPN5q.jpg

cs3eWVv.jpg

AwoStsV.jpg

Jh3GaZi.jpg

Are the assemblers not part of the QC process? How does crap make it off the line?

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor

M3JPN5q.jpg

cs3eWVv.jpg

AwoStsV.jpg

Jh3GaZi.jpg
HOLY FUCK! I would pick up that phone and immediatly contact STS about that!

dshuld

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
I'm using the 2mm deck. Figured I would start there. Cut my wick back. Little better. One end was a little kinked.

On new builds or tanks I usually check ohms on the DNA to see if it is steady. That tells you if there are connection issues. I forgot to do that so it will have to wait till I get home.
Gotcha, I knew from when I put the 2x28/36 in the mutank the 2mm deck wouldn't cut it for my vape style so went staright to the 2.5mm.

Last edited:

Powerman

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Ya, I can try it. The wick seems plenty soaked. And it's consistent. Not heavy then light after a couple pulls.

TC can be "anemic". But that can be several problems or combination of problems. The coils have to be spaced, and nothing loose. Steady ohm reading. After that, it's wick. Many people think it's TC, but if it was on power it would be burnt. Too much power, or not enough wick. So after going to SS, I've done all that. But I think I have it pretty well sorted out.

My builds are 7-9 wraps on 3-4 mm. I've had consistent results and not many problems. So I'm pretty familiar with what I should get. The VCMT is a fire hose. But nobody can seem to figure out wick. Dry or leaks. So on my builds, I know what a saturated wick on my coils will do. To the point of dumping juice down the chimney like a dripper.

With all that.... This setup just seems lacking. And with all the reports of huge builds and no wicking problems... Well, that must mean a problem. I'm going to have to drip in it and see...

WraithPC

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
o-rings certainly not a big deal, annoying since they were both broken before I even did anything. The spare deck in the bag o-ring was loose and broken before I even opened the bag. Posts are a bit of another story, I can no doubt manage to shape the insulators enough to get them to fit, however then it will leave parts of them thinned, and possibly prone to damage from use.

I usually just fix the stuff, but in this case I'll probably make an attempt to get replacements. Other then these QC issues I'm very impressed by the build quality, everything else is really well done.

VU Sponsors