Become a Patron!

The BOREAS RTA by Augvape and Roxy

chinacatsunflower-

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
When calculating ohms for a twisted Kanthal coil, what exactly is the "twist pinch", is it the area of the wire where it's indented and then forms into another twist?

Just want to make sure I'm accurately measuring them correctly when building :)

Mikhail Naumov

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
Unlisted Vendor
Since it's beenaround a year since I've twisted or clapton'd, figured I'd play with kanthal before I use SS.
That is better, fuller, thicker vape. Very satisfying. Used the 2.5 deck for this one.

Next up is an attempt at a TC clapton...

View attachment 48373

26 inner 28 outer Nickel Claptons are some of the best I've used. I know it's strange to use such a large wire for the outer, especially when the inner isn't much bigger, but they vape great. NiFE-30 Claptons are my favorite TC claptons overall. NiFE-30 and Titanium G1 are the champions of TC wire in my opinion. Stainless Steel is too inaccurate, Nickel is too low resistance and too soft and everything else doesn't work well either.

rolf 2

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
I s

till havent made my mind up as to what I want to do...since the HOG died I now need to make a box to take up that role also...I may end up making 2 different boxes as it would be safer then something that can switch it up, some of these builds Im afraid of getting welded connections..
sorry don't know who the hog is , or was any links to his work ?
just looked at my big lipo mod has a 20 amp chip in it (buck )
and after 4 or 5 month drained it to much to try to charge it . to bad cant offer it to you .
welded connections ..you mean switch contacts ?try some relay contacts out of an old 20 amp mechanical relay .

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
H
and after 4 or 5 month drained it to much to try to charge it . to bad cant offer it to you .
welded connections ..you mean switch contacts ?try some relay contacts out of an old 20 amp mechanical relay .
HOG V1, Hammer of God - Quad Parallel Box Mod...Good idea about the Switch relays!
Its okay, if I feel Im not confident I can pull it off I dont mind paying or trading something to someone that could..

markcfh

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Your lipo is drained too much?

F

fckaugust8th

The way I understand it, the twist pitch is the distance between the low points where the 2 wires are twisted. Think peak and valley with the peaks being the high points on the twist. Count ten "valleys",measure the distance between first and last and divide by 10.

mcvigo

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
well the drip tip now got completely taken off, and I just threw in 28gauge dual, 10 wraps, same as my griffin. Vaping both at the same time and same juice, the boreas gives me a much better vape. Wicking was so damn easy lol, i just wicked like i just don't care. If its a clone, then maybe at least its a good one.

Mikhail Naumov

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
Unlisted Vendor

When you store a lipo battery, rather it be in a device or not, you NEED to make sure it's around the nominal pack voltage. 3.7V on a single cell, 7.4V on a dual cell, 11.V on a three cell, 14.8V on a four cell, etc. If it's below or (especially) above this voltage it'll develop lumps. I won't go into confusing engineer details on why this happens, but it can cause all sorts of problems. The pack may not take a charge ever again, the pack may swell and go into thermal runaway on you during use, the pack could even catch on fire. Never store a lipo battery for longer than a week that isn't sitting at its nominal voltage charge capacity, it's dangerous.

I'm not saying you didn't do this, you may have. But just in case you didn't, I'd take the battery out and thoroughly check it for lumps or dents to make sure it's still safe to even have in your house.

DukeBlue

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
well the drip tip now got completely taken off, and I just threw in 28gauge dual, 10 wraps, same as my griffin. Vaping both at the same time and same juice, the boreas gives me a much better vape. Wicking was so damn easy lol, i just wicked like i just don't care. If its a clone, then maybe at least its a good one.
It's probably not a clone, there has been a few people that the drip tip has came apart.

tazz2293

VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Since it's been around a year since I've twisted or clapton'd, figured I'd play with kanthal before I use SS.
That is better, fuller, thicker vape. Very satisfying. Used the 2.5 deck for this one.

Next up is an attempt at a TC clapton...

View attachment 48373

That is beautiful fq!

markcfh

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
What he said ^^ . There's always the cheap trick of using a nihm setting on a balance charger. It will occasionally work, even if the cells are zeroed.

Mikhail Naumov

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
Unlisted Vendor
I highly doubt it's a clone as well, because I don't think there's much reason in cloning a product that's right under $40 and then selling it for.. $40. That's not even cloning at that point, that's blatantly trying to steal a companies business when offering nothing other than a fake product selling for the same price as a real one. That's some cease and desist shit right there, and even though China laughs in the face of copyright laws, any American vendor selling products like this could get sued or at least hit with a C&D if the product has a patent, trademark or anything similar on it.

The nickel-metal hydride battery setting trick CAN work, but if your pack has lumps it's just time to safely dispose of it. Don't even attempt saving it.

tazz2293

VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
When you store a lipo battery, rather it be in a device or not, you NEED to make sure it's around the nominal pack voltage. 3.7V on a single cell, 7.4V on a dual cell, 11.V on a three cell, 14.8V on a four cell, etc. If it's below or (especially) above this voltage it'll develop lumps. I won't go into confusing engineer details on why this happens, but it can cause all sorts of problems. The pack may not take a charge ever again, the pack may swell and go into thermal runaway on you during use, the pack could even catch on fire. Never store a lipo battery for longer than a week that isn't sitting at its nominal voltage charge capacity, it's dangerous.

I'm not saying you didn't do this, you may have. But just in case you didn't, I'd take the battery out and thoroughly check it for lumps or dents to make sure it's still safe to even have in your house.

So I should take the 900mah I took out of the lavabox and charge it to around 80-90% and then store it?

rolf 2

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
Your lipo is drained too much?
jes it is ! below 1 volt . I have a regulated power supply and could try to charge it , starting very very low and charge each cell separate until build up to the point where the balanced charger would take over , but not comfortable doing that for savety reasons.

roxynoodle

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
Okay so, I got my black, notched Boreas. I dig it, but the notches are in two sets of three. The notches don't wrap around the entire top cap, there's three on each side and then a blank area where it looks like the old one. I'm a bit confused why they did this, but I still like it, makes the top cap easier to remove. I wish they added them to the bottom cap as well.

Actually, I think that's how I originally wanted them to be so it wouldn't look so ugly.

Mikhail Naumov

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
Unlisted Vendor
So I should take the 900mah I took out of the lavabox and charge it to around 80-90% and then store it?

Noooo. You want it way, way lower. 12.6V is fully charged, 11.1V is nominal, 9.3V is danger low. Lots of lipo chargers have store settings that will charge/discharge your battery to a safe capacity for storage. Your best bet would to be to pop the 900mah in your Lavabox, and made it down most of the way. You can use Escribe to check the pack voltage. 3.7V per cell is what you want.

tazz2293

VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Noooo. You want it way, way lower. 12.6V is fully charged, 11.1V is nominal, 9.6V is danger low.

I have the lavabox. Is the only why to make sure the battery is safe to store is to remove the 1300mah, out in the 900mah and charge it to around 11.1V?

of course I could buy a lipo charger which you mentioned something about 9000 posts back.

See I pay attention sometimes. :cool:

Mikhail Naumov

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
Unlisted Vendor
I have the lavabox. Is the only why to make sure the battery is safe to store is to remove the 1300mah, out in the 900mah and charge it to around 11.1V?

of course I could buy a lipo charger which you mentioned something about 9000 posts back.

See I pay attention sometimes. :cool:

Well technically, unless your 900mah 3S is insanely low on the charge scale right now, you'd want to discharge it through use to 11.1V. On the DNA200, when your battery gets THAT low, your battery bar will usually be almost empty if it's a lipo under 1,500mah. So basically your screen will say the battery is almost dead.

tazz2293

VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Well technically, unless your 900mah 3S is insanely low on the charge scale right now, you'd want to discharge it through use to 11.1V. On the DNA200, when your battery gets THAT low, your battery bar will usually be almost empty if it's a lipo under 1,500mah. So basically your screen will say the battery is almost dead.

Well Damn - so I am gonna take the thing apart - Put the 900mah in and vape on it. Sheesh!

roxynoodle

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
I don't think there are any clones...yet.

Yes, some reports of bad drip tips.

I don't know why the QC code didn't work. Could be the ebay seller, or whoever he bought from checked them already. Maybe you could ask.

They clone everything! You can buy an authentic Bellus for $18.50 from Efuntop. And yet I know people who bought clones from FT instead.

Mikhail Naumov

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
Unlisted Vendor
Well Damn - so I am gonna take the thing apart - Put the 900mah in and vape on it. Sheesh!
Just keep it USB tethered to Escribe with the device monitor up so you can keep an eye on the pack voltages. The optimal range for pack storage is 3.66-3.74V per cell. The perfect number would be 3.70 per cell.

tazz2293

VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Just keep it USB tethered to Escribe with the device monitor up so you can keep an eye on the pack voltages. The optimal range for pack storage is 3.66-3.74V per cell. The perfect number would be 3.70 per cell.

Or take half of EJ's Advice and just throw it in the trash.

Mikhail Naumov

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
Unlisted Vendor
Get the duo effusion toss the LIPO use 2x18650 no more discussion

VAPE IT

The 2S limits it to 133 watts, 6V output. So this is a bad call. Also, as a duo owner I got lucky. A LOT of Efusion Duos are coming with crooked 510's and cheap connectors. Don't do this. DON'T, do this. Lipos are also far more efficient than lithium ion batteries. Higher amperage ratings, less sag. Can't change electronics.

Improper battery disposal can also be dangerous as well as bad for the environment. That pack could go into thermal runaway at a dump somewhere and cause a massive fire. Only YOU can stop lithium battery fires. Get the bears.

ej1024

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The 2S limits it to 133 watts, 6V output. So this is a bad call. Also, as a duo owner I got lucky. A LOT of Efusion Duos are coming with crooked 510's and cheap connectors. Don't do this. DON'T, do this. Lipos are also far more efficient than lithium ion batteries. Higher amperage ratings, less sag. Can't change electronics.
You have it already?
Good advice
Thanks
Professor wealthy

fq06

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
+1 throw it in the trash or better put it in a bucket of salt water for a few weeks to take it close to zero voltage to discard safely.

That lipo is dangerous now and shouldn't be used. You can probably get a replacement from hobbyking for $5

Mikhail Naumov

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
Unlisted Vendor
EJ - Do I get my money back now that I just ordered one?

Please don't tell me you actually did. A lot of these are genuinely coming with crooked 510's that cause your devices to sit crooked as hell, the panels are flimsy and can break easily if you slide them on and off a lot plus the connectors for the sled/lipo are shittily wired on. If you get lucky and have a properly set 510, go 2S 18650 or 3S lipo and LEAVE IT THERE. Otherwise you could snap a panel or pull a connector. It's a good mod, just, suffers some hiccups. I recommend the regular Efusion.

Mikhail Naumov

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
Unlisted Vendor
+1 throw it in the trash or better put it in a bucket of salt water for a few weeks to take it close to zero voltage to discard safely.

That lipo is dangerous now and shouldn't be used. You can probably get a replacement from hobbyking for $5

It made me really happy to see someone who actually knows how to safely discard a lipo battery. Don't just throw it in the trash though, some dump site somewhere could go up in flames. Unlikely as hell, but possible.

tazz2293

VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Please don't tell me you actually did. A lot of these are genuinely coming with crooked 510's that cause your devices to sit crooked as hell, the panels are flimsy and can break easily if you slide them on and off a lot plus the connectors for the sled/lipo are shittily wired on. If you get lucky and have a properly set 510, go 2S 18650 or 3S lipo and LEAVE IT THERE. Otherwise you could snap a panel or pull a connector. It's a good mod, just, suffers some hiccups. I recommend the regular Efusion.

I was busting on EJ.

I did not order one.

Will order another LavaBox or a DotMod DotBox.

Mikhail Naumov

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
Unlisted Vendor
The Efusion Duo is my daily driver along with my custom 6,200mah 3S BeastDNA200 box. I love it, just, I've seen several people get the short end of the stick on quality control. I just put my favorite panel on, kept the 1,300mah 3S inside and vowed to leave it there until the battery went bad.

ej1024

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The Efusion Duo is my daily driver along with my custom 6,200mah 3S BeastDNA200 box. I love it, just, I've seen several people get the short end of the stick on quality control. I just put my favorite panel on, kept the 1,300mah 3S inside and vowed to leave it there until the battery went bad.
Do you have the x200 DNA by cartel mods?

Mikhail Naumov

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
Unlisted Vendor
Pre-order a Q Class and get in the year long waiting line with me and Roxy.

I do not EJ, though I've seen it. Cartel has a good reputation for quality, so I trust it.

VU Sponsors