ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon

Lannie

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
May be an image of text

I know these are still around but I can remember eatin them about 70 years ago

Ugh, I can still remember what those tasted like. So sweet, even as a kid, it made the hair on the back of my neck stand up. My grandma used to put them out in candy dishes and I never touched them after the first couple. Ick.

I like the old version of this show

May be an image of 4 people and text

I only watch the old version. Some movies shouldn't be re-made. I've never watched the new version, because the old version is perfect! :)

I did. I actually broke one of my toes on those one day. I had to stop in at the mall after work one night to pick up something, and it was raining (naturally, it was Portland). Huge expanse of slick, shiny floor once you get in the door and past the tiny little mat on the floor, and my shoes were still wet. Well, I turned my ankle when my shoe slipped on the tile, and my ring toe on my right foot got smashed between the hard floor and that hard plastic sole. NOBODY was in the mall just then, and I had to stand there for the longest time on one foot, waiting for the pain to subside. Finally, I was able to walk again, but much slower, and with a pronounced limp, LOL! It was only later that night, when my toe turned BLACK and was obviously broken, that I decided maybe those shoes were too dangerous for someone like me who was always in a hurry. I went back to my rubber-soled sandals, even though they weren't as chic as the Candies. ;)

I wonder if anyone nowadays would even know what that was if they saw it? I loved getting "pre-measured" shoes. I've always had big feet, and it was such a pain to shop for shoes. I loved when the guy brought that out and actually measured my feet, then brought out only the shoes in my size (and there weren't many). It was limited selection, but it made buying a pair of shoes so much easier. The exception, of course, being the aforementioned Candies, which I absolutely HAD to have, but were just a bit too narrow, and my toes hung out over the edge a little bit. Thus the smashed toe.

I did it, too. WTH were we thinking? o_O

I loved tetherball. :)

I took Home Ec. The most important thing I learned there was how to make a butter/flour roux. The teacher said if you can make a velvety smooth cream sauce with no lumps, you can do anything. And she was right. I learned a TON of things in that class, but that was the most important thing. ;)

I put this one on for Lannie

May be an image of 1 person, briar and text

Thank you! :inlove:

Lady Sarah

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
One thing about parenting in the 70s and 80s is that I was taught nothing at home. In my senior year of high school, I chose to take cooking class, metal shop, and wood shop... just to get the basics. I did pretty good, getting As across the board, except for wood shop, because that teacher just didnt like me. Junior high home ec taught me nothing. But yep, those courses should be mandatory.

VU Sponsors