Become a Patron!

Vaping on the Front or back Porch

Don29palms

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
Unlisted Vendor
I'm mad tonight. My manual transmission in my Jeep is making some grinding noises and is hard to shift. I'm going to call into work tomorrow and work on it. I'll start by draining the oil and checking for metal. I sure hope I don't have to get a transmission. It's possible it's just the throw out bearing. A bearing is less expensive but still the same amount of work.

Don29palms

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
Unlisted Vendor
Try shifting when not under power to check the Gear box.
Yeah I did that. That's why I'm leaning more to a bad throw out bearing. When it's in neutral with the clutch out when I first started the Jeep it was loud. It you push in the clutch the noise goes away. As it got warmer the noise quieted down. It bothers me because when you engage the clutch the trans stops spinning. I figure it out tomorrow. It was dark when I got home tonight.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
If you push in the Clutch the Throw Out Bearing is under load and spinning at Engine RPM. Could be Input Shaft Bearing which will stop spinning when clutch is pushed in. That is just taking the collar off the gearbox. Easy Fix~!

Don29palms

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
Unlisted Vendor
If you push in the Clutch the Throw Out Bearing is under load and spinning at Engine RPM. Could be Input Shaft Bearing which will stop spinning when clutch is pushed in. That is just taking the collar off the gearbox. Easy Fix~!
Yeah that was my thought but either way the transmission has to be pulled. Normally no big deal but with my back being messed up I don't know if I can do it. Fortunately my 20yo stepson is strong as an ox and will gladly help of I ask him to.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Yeah that was my thought but either way the transmission has to be pulled. Normally no big deal but with my back being messed up I don't know if I can do it. Fortunately my 20yo stepson is strong as an ox and will gladly help of I ask him to.

Is it 4WD? If not an easy job to pull the Gear Box if so have to pull 2 shafts then the Transfer Case just to get to it.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Wow, were you up that early or never slept? Maybe fell asleep early so got enough by the middle of the night?

Fell off to sleep roughly 10 PM. Woke up around 3 for need to urinate. After that, needed to let Shrek out for potty. Found myself needing to defecate as well. Just do set for that, Shrek wants back in.

Got him in, finished my bathroom business. After that the "well I'm awake, ..." notion came. Got coffee, took medicines, three. Been "up" since. This is usual course for me, 4-6 hours of sleep a night. I may, or may not nap two hours in the afternoon.

Not anything grand, or odd for me. Got used to a military schedule and/or working graveyard shifts early in life. I sometimes used to go 48 hours, or a bit more with no sleep. Have noticed I don't do that as much as when younger.

Add to the used to different shifts, a bit of insomnia. Here I am.

Hm, ... time for some kind of freezer pleasing instant meal for breakfast. Yay.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
After that the "well I'm awake, ...

Yeah, I got up around 6AM and after Draining The Dragon got in bed to hopefully fall asleep for a little more to TV. Freaking Cable Box wouldn't send a HDMI Signal to the TV. So after multiple turn on and offs I was awake. Put on coffee rebooted box and still Nada~! Cycled the Cable Box like 25 times and I Love Lucy was on~! LMAO

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Freaking Cable Box wouldn't send a HDMI Signal to the TV. So after multiple turn on and offs I was awake. Put on coffee rebooted box and still Nada~!

Sounds of being a faulty HDMI cable, possibly. Not cut TV on yet here. Even with Roku and Hulu/Netflix there isn't altogether that much I'm keen to look at. May put on Perry Mason,Midsomer Murders as a little background while I eat, play Xshishen-sho. May not. Don't know yet. Chose a Banquet brand spaghetti & meat balls for breakfast.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Sounds of being a faulty HDMI cable, possibly.

No, it is the Samsung Cable Boxes. It is a known issue they never fixed with the myriad of updates. I probably have 6 HDMI Cables sitting on the shelf. I have dealt with this before. Swapping cables turning them around changing to working HDMI Port that just showed a device. It is the box which does not recognize the Handshake. I have swapped the boxes so many times and tried it on an HDMI Port I never have an issue with.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
No, it is the Samsung Cable Boxes.

Another little thing I do not bother about, cable boxes. Think we had cable once when I was thirteen. Forget it who was through although thinking possibly Warner. That was well before Time Warner got bought by AOL.

Me and wife borrow a few channels off her dad's satellite via Roku. We could do without them if need be. Once me & her can get our place hoping to put up an antenna, use Roku. Not too concerned for right now. Roku has all kinds of free stuff.

Obviously though it apparently doesn't seduce me enough. Not much does so no surprise.

Don29palms

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
Unlisted Vendor
Is it 4WD? If not an easy job to pull the Gear Box if so have to pull 2 shafts then the Transfer Case just to get to it.
Yeah it's 4wd. You pull the transmission and transfer case as 1 unit. Driveshafts and crossmembers come out. Linkage disconnected and the shifter come out from the top. It's a PITA.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Sure you can pull it as one assembly but splitting the transfer case just makes it easier. Even with a transmission jack easier in my opinion.

Don29palms

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
Unlisted Vendor
Fell off to sleep roughly 10 PM. Woke up around 3 for need to urinate. After that, needed to let Shrek out for potty. Found myself needing to defecate as well. Just do set for that, Shrek wants back in.

Got him in, finished my bathroom business. After that the "well I'm awake, ..." notion came. Got coffee, took medicines, three. Been "up" since. This is usual course for me, 4-6 hours of sleep a night. I may, or may not nap two hours in the afternoon.

Not anything grand, or odd for me. Got used to a military schedule and/or working graveyard shifts early in life. I sometimes used to go 48 hours, or a bit more with no sleep. Have noticed I don't do that as much as when younger.

Add to the used to different shifts, a bit of insomnia. Here I am.

Hm, ... time for some kind of freezer pleasing instant meal for breakfast. Yay.
3 old men are sitting on a park bench. The first old man says
I wish I could take a good piss in the morning.
The 2nd says
I wish I could take a good dump in the morning.
The 3rd says
At 6am every morning I take a healthy piss. At 7am I take a dump.
1st and 2nd guy both agree this is a great thing for guy 3 but guy 3 then says
The problem is I don't wake up until 8am.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
*sits and takes mental notes on car/truck repairs, can follow most of the basic stuff.*

Tend to avoid diving into wrenching on stuff myself. Lots of various reasons for that summarized as a bit of lacking confidence to not muck something up worse. Still enjoy taking notes in case I'm faced with those "oh f**k" moments you got no choice but to go at it.

Don29palms

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
Unlisted Vendor
*sits and takes mental notes on car/truck repairs, can follow most of the basic stuff.*

Tend to avoid diving into wrenching on stuff myself. Lots of various reasons for that summarized as a bit of lacking confidence to not muck something up worse. Still enjoy taking notes in case I'm faced with those "oh f**k" moments you got no choice but to go at it.
It's really not a big deal. I've been doing this stuff since I was a kid. I've been a heavy mobile equipment mechanic for over 30 years now. I'm just about to get a disability retirement because of my back. The Jeep repairs aren't the problem as much as it is my bad back keeping me from doing it.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
It's really not a big deal. I've been doing this stuff since I was a kid. I've been a heavy mobile equipment mechanic for over 30 years now. I'm just about to get a disability retirement because of my back. The Jeep repairs aren't the problem as much as it is my bad back keeping me from doing it.

Can understand that feeling. Two Winters ago, wife just had to wait until it was the worst day out. It was cold. The wind was blowing hard from three directions at once. There was ice, snow and coming down, ground frozen solid.

"Can you go up to the building down toward dad's, drain the radiator, put in the anti-freeze? I just haven't got to it."

I was stiff on waking up. So, six layers on and trot down, boy was it ever so lovely to lie on the ground. Could not get the drain cap off with gloves on. Next I knew I was trying to pry cap out of my fingers.

Did manage to get it done. Come back in. She knew from looking at me. Got a hot coca with a a splash of rum, didn't ask. She even promised to not "pull that s**t again", didn't ask. *chuckles*

gopher_byrd

Cranky Old Fart
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Been busy the past few days and haven't been on VU much. Fixing to head to MN for my next work project. Back and forth for the next year or two. It's gonna be freaking cold, my blood has thinned out since I lived in upstate NY.

1606323036161.png

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years

I was working on Cars, trucks and boats since I was 15 years old. Gave it up to do Computers but the only thing I can't do is the State Inspection~! I have a tire machine and a computerized wheel balancer in the Garage~! Also a Brake Rotor/Drum/Flywheel Lathe. When I need to do a major job I roll out the bumper jack and get the trucks chassis 3 feet off the ground. Awesome if I have to do a tranny. Last time I did the Fuel Module I didn't even jack the freaking truck up~! Lazy ass MOFO~!

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
God I love my parents and Thank My Lucky Stars I still have them here at 92 and 88 to make me freaking nuts~! But they are going to put me in an early grave~!! At least there will be someone around to make sure my last wishes are fulfilled~! Rough Day? Nah...................

Synphul

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Now because you reminded me @Synphul after chasing that P0440 Code and finding the Bad Canister vent Valve, the other day I was driving and was in a parking lot and the Fucking MIL came on~! Pulled over and took out the scanner and now I have a P0442 Minor Leak Code~! I will be glad when I can not be driving with the freaking scanner in my truck~! Now I have to see what the Diagnostic Tree says Probably the steel line next to the one I replaced for the brakes or maybe I knocked a hose off~!
Yea I thought I had a wrench big enough so I skipped buying one. My stuff isn't organized the best (code for shit's anywhere/everywhere) since I left the shop. Idk what happened to my bigger adjustable wrenches. Now I got a belt squeak. Usually I get rid of it spraying some brake cleaner and blasting with air or even a bit of water. Likely got some coolant on the belt or one of the pulleys. No dice so grabbed some belt dressing hoping to shut it up.

You might've knocked off a hose. If that doesn't pan out and it's not a bad/loose gas cap, you said you replaced the vent valve. Maybe replace the purge valve as well, looks to be toward the back on the side with the alternator between the heater hoses and tube that crosses over. Small leaks can be a real pain in the ass, especially without a smoke machine. Even then, eh.

Synphul

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years

Yea I still sweat it a bit. Especially with a lot of the newer stuff. Aluminum parts, aluminum bolts. Would love to have the setup Steve does. The shop wasn't that problematic, everything was on hand. If I didn't have the tool one of the guys I worked with had it. If they didn't, one of the shops across the street likely had it. Something got boogered up I had other sets of wheels to drive, parts delivered to me.

Contrast that with being home where my tools are limited. The truck's nowhere near anyplace convenient, out in the elements on a dirt/gravel drive. No lift, no decent air (enough to consistently run air tools). Closest parts house is 10mi trip and with one vehicle if it's down, adds a whole new level of difficulty getting around. So it adds to the pressure of 'don't dick this one up'. Reusing soft bolts even with torque settings playing a game of 'is it gonna make it or is it going to reach 21 of 22ft lbs and SNAP'? lol. Just like I called a local parts store asking if they had the fan clutch tool I needed and got 'uhhh.. nope. sorry'.

Rhianne

Diamond Contributor
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
giphy.gif

Happy Holiday, everyone. Enjoy your turkey! <3

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Waiting again to go make a cup of coffee. Might not get any today. Oh well.

Can explain this well. We live with her sister and her husband in literally a hovel. It's an unfinished basement with a metal roof on it, roughed in rooms. One room is the kitchen area. Her brother in law sits in a chair out in the kitchen by the counter. He's a big fellow. I am not intimidated. What I am is pissed that every damn time I want to do something in the kitchen I need to excuse him.

Allegedly we live here too, as well. We ought to have access to the kitchen without his encumbering ass in the way. All he is doing is leaning on the counter looking at his tablet. There's room elsewhere in the house he could the same shit. Does he? No.

If I lived here too, it would seem access to the kitchen such as it is, wouldn't be limited. And while at it, about that kitchen. All that's there really is the coffee maker, microwave, sink. The cooking stove doesn't work. There would need to be cooking gas for it if it did work.

There's a fridge and wife's stand up freezer filled mostly with their shit out on the front added on porch. It seems they're keen to run everything into the ground then let her mom and dad, or his mom buy them new. There's two maybe three vehicles here that have been run to the ground, needing various repairs.

Her granddad's big red ford sat a year because her brother in law couldn't be bothered to handle a $30 and twenty minute repair. Christy's, my wife's, dad got told exactly what the issue was from the mechanic up the way. He told her brother in law and figured he would get on it. Her dad waited a month before he went and got the part, did the repair himself.

Had it been my truck or dad's truck someone else was using, I'd be damned if they'd still be using it after shit like that. But, ... oh well.

To whit the repair was the starter cabling. It needed swapped out with new cables. The cables were located right up top, on the driver side of the motor. Yes, I literally could have done the repair, likely done it in my sleep. And like I said, I don't go wrenching on stuff but do know the basics.

I am fed up beyond measure having to live here. Tired of having to see their shit. Tired of my wife needing to see it. And tired of her having to pay to help out. I don't mind the helping of family within reason. This goes beyond that though. Christy had pay $2,4000 for her mom to get a new fridge. The only thing wrong with the other one? It needed cleaned.

And yes, the brother in law got to looking at it and decided he would make it theirs after he cleans it up.

Argh! I would punch the walls but fear going through drywall and shattering the 40+ year old cinder blocks. And honestly, I do fear that along with likely breaking my hand. Though I been trained to do such strikes without comprise to myself. I'm afraid I'd just flat out country boy right hook it and destroy my hand and the block wall. I'm just that pissed off.

So yeah, such as it is that's my holidays. Any wonder my blood pressure sky rockets?

Apologies for being a dump truck. Hope everyone else is managing better holidays. Y' all deserve them. I do have some happiness in knowing my wife loves me. :)

Last edited:

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Never apologize for Venting because that is what Friends are for. There is always an open ear or shoulder to cry on here on the porches~!

I know that. But you've probably ascertained I'm not the kind what let's others carry his weight. I'm also not the kind what rules with an iron fist either. And I know you of anyone here know exactly what it means to be considered head of three households.

I keep feeling a failure daily because of this aspect of life. Truth be told though, it's not under my control and probably never was intended to be, will be. Hate feeling "just along for the ride".

Seems for now that's all I can muster being. Keep living here too, as well getting tired of thinking "one day, some day". Grew up seeing how some day never came. Hoping that doesn't happen now. Hm, maybe I need to ask Santa for a dojo. *chuckles*

All I know is, my Lady, she deserves better.

Well, I know a few more things, ...

"Hey buddy, yeah youse there, ... welcome to the human race!"

I don't know half o' what I don't know and I'm okay with that.

Last edited:

VU Sponsors