Become a Patron!

Vaping on the Front or back Porch

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
While I was showering and getting ready to go run some errands and pick my new Refurbished PC I remembered more work I will have to do on it. Like turning off the 10 Invasive Features and Blunt Edge~! This is going to be an all day project at the least. Maybe 2 depending on how many updates it needs.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
PT was good this morning. Guy worked out two or three knots by hand. Then, used ultrasound to break up inflammation to avoid them coming back. I exercised too. It hurt but got through it. Feeling better. :)

Rhianne

Diamond Contributor
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
giphy.gif

Good morning, everyone. <3

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
PT was good this morning. Guy worked out two or three knots by hand. Then, used ultrasound to break up inflammation to avoid them coming back. I exercised too. It hurt but got through it. Feeling better. :)

I had a little pain in my arm this morning when I woke up but the only thing I took was a nice Hot Shower~!

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
While I was showering and getting ready to go run some errands and pick my new Refurbished PC I remembered more work I will have to do on it. Like turning off the 10 Invasive Features and Blunt Edge~! This is going to be an all day project at the least. Maybe 2 depending on how many updates it needs.

Windows 10 needs updates just about every f'n day. I swear it has installed 75 updates in the two months I've had this POS from work.

I really BEGGED them for Windows 7. Network people at my company said they just couldn't do it. Hmph.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Windows 10 needs updates just about every f'n day. I swear it has installed 75 updates in the two months I've had this POS from work.

I really BEGGED them for Windows 7. Network people at my company said they just couldn't do it. Hmph.

Shit after I installed the VPN on a Win 7 Pro machine I found out it isn't supported~! When I started to installed it on the XP Downloader things were looking good until I came back and checked to see an error. Went to the log and it was so enormous I didn't even bother to decipher it~! LMFAO

Last edited:

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
So picked up the New Refurbished PC, Fresh Fish and paid my Car Insurance all in one round trip which took one hour~! So far almost an hour with initial startup of Windows 10~! I just did a couple of ugrades recently and this is one Big PITA for Fresh Install~!

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years

You can adjust the Setting for Windows Update and not sure if it just in the H2 Update that you can EXPIDITE it. Took about 20 minute total.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
So 3 hours and counting and still wresting with this PC. I thought the updates would be an issue but they were less than half an hour. But wrestling with Network Sharing and getting it to communicate with the older OS's was a bitch~! Just in case any using Win 10 and older OS's SMB1 gets turned off aff 15 days of not being used~! WTF? I will look for a way to stop that so if anyone knows PLEASE let me know~!

Aside from working on this one I have 2 Laptops behind me I am working on. Friday isn't supposed to be like this and maybe time for a Beer.......................

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
So after 6 hours I have had enough of wrestling with Windows 10~! I have the machine up and running with most of the software running but naturally windows doesn't support some of the functionality like I am used to. What used to be click on a link and select DTA is now copy and past the link into the Download Manager. But I saw 20 MB a Second download speeds so like here I just can't paste a picture and have to do a few more steps I have to deal with it at least for now. More testing to be done before I turn off a machine that hasn't been shut down for years.

Last edited:

Synphul

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years

I prefer win7 but even then the networking left something to be desired vs win2k. Still miss that one. Seems every release they dink with crap and dumb it down just making it more difficult. Oh want to do this? Ok, then it needs to be a home network. Oh, you wanted to do that? Well then it has to be a work network or public network. Oh, well no you can't be part of a home and work/public network at the same time. What?

Feels like I'm at fricken Sonic. No, you can have mayo or mustard. Not both on the same sandwich. Huh? Way to 'fix' it. I loathe updates. How about fix it then release it. Everything is halfassed beta software is constant flux and never truly 'works' seems like. Whether it's winblows, games, doesn't matter. The whole point of tech is to make things more convenient, not have to become a nuclear physicist to sort out. Like I don't have enough hobbies. Eventually it's like screw it, I'm going out to look at the trees and birds. lol.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
:tldr:I don't have near the trouble using Linux it seems everyone does using Windows. I'm happy with my choice.

Reading all these woes over Windows. I am so glad we switched to Linux over a decade ago. Updates can be set up to happen automatically.

You can update one program, the whole operating system. You can do it and recompile a kernel even without needing to reboot. Then, in using programs if one mucks up it is only that program and not the whole computer.

There is also lots of documentation plus a robust user community to offer help. You are encouraged to explore the coding, the text based configurations. Encouraged to make it work for yourself and how you want.

Set up took me 30 minutes once it was under way. The opening questions and setting up the basics took only a few minutes All in you might invest 45 minutes to set up a Linux box.

In Linux we have Samba which works as the network ambassador to/for Windows networking. It is straight forward and easy to set up. Can do it in less than 5 minutes.

I don't really interact with Windows over the network. More often I access other Linux/Unix boxes over the Internet/Web. I don't usually put Samba on, or worry over it.

There's software which converts a lot of various Windows file types to usable Open Source ones. I don't look at windows Doc files for example but Open Document Text files

Yes, very happy using Linux. I see the woes once faced only grew worse. Well, I didn't need it then, or now.

Last edited:

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
:tldr:I don't have near the trouble using Linux it seems everyone does using Windows. I'm happy with my choice.

Reading all these woes over Windows. I am so glad we switched to Linux over a decade ago. Updates can be set up to happen automatically.

You can update one program, the whole operating system. You can do it and recompile a kernel even without needing to reboot. Then, in using programs if one mucks up it is only that program and not the whole computer.

There is also lots of documentation plus a robust user community to offer help. You are encouraged to explore the coding, the text based configurations. Encouraged to make it work for yourself and how you want.

Set up took me 30 minutes once it was under way. The opening questions and setting up the basics took only a few minutes All in you might invest 45 minutes to set up a Linux box.

In Linux we have Samba which works as the network ambassador to/for Windows networking. It is straight forward and easy to set up. Can do it in less than 5 minutes.

I don't really interact with Windows over the network. More often I access other Linux/Unix boxes over the Internet/Web. I don't usually put Samba on, or worry over it.

There's software which converts a lot of various Windows file types to usable Open Source ones. I don't look at windows Doc files for example but Open Document Text files

Yes, very happy using Linux. I see the woes once faced only grew worse. Well, I didn't need it then, or now.

Linux doesn't fit my requirements and many of the Platforms I use don't work well with it. Like browsers these days one day it works the next it doesn't.

Last edited:

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Linux doesn't fit my requirements and many of the Platforms I use don't work well with it. Like browsers these days one dau it works the next it doesn't.

Well there's always Virtual Box. I can run a version of Windows in Linux using it, or Wine. I don't but the possibility is there. You can also do your own flavor of a virtual machine using Linux & run other operating systems in it.

This allows a person to have a safe sandbox. I did at one time run Fedora, another "flavor" of Linux in my Debian flavored version. I wanted to see the difference between Red Hat styled versus GNU styled Linux. From that I learned GNU style suits me well enough.

Red Hat syle Linux is geared more toward business, enterprise kind of stuff. They're constantly updating. As a matter of course the "Heart Bleed" Bash virus that was allegedly all the Holy terror of Linux some months back was fixed in 15 minutes of it even "making news". Red hat had already patched Bash (Bourne Again SHell -- it's like Dos under Linux, most flavors use Bash as the main "command" environment).

Five minutes before Red Hat announced the patch, I had my Bash updated. It helps knowing a few hard core developers, who you name as Caspers on your ACL. Caspers is a term used to denote a fictitious "nobody" user with root privileges on your computer. remember the cartoon Casper the Friendly Ghost.

Once you do, you understand the meaning. They're users/developers that help "push" vital stuff out to hard core users who will test and abuse stuff to be sure it works. They help keep your computer stable as it can be. ACL means Access Control List, you control who uses your computer setting these up.

This may not be for you. I'm only offering a glimpse at some benefits of Linux. There are some drawbacks as well. Yes, there's a bit of a learning curve. Once you are able to say hm, relate Linux to being on par with maybe Windows 95 or NT 4, you're pretty set. The .conf files are like .ini files in Windows. There's other similarities and of course other differences. In general though it's not too difficult to get up and going.

Last edited:

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Well there's always Virtual Box. I can run a version of Windows in Linux using it, or Wine. I don't but the possibility is there. You can also do your own flavor of a virtual machine using Linux & run other operating systems in it.

This allows a person to have a safe sandbox. I did at one time run Fedora, another "flavor" of Linux in my Debian flavored version. I wanted to see the difference between Red Hat styled versus GNU styled Linux. From that I learned GNU style suits me well enough.

Yeah, I know and great suggestions but just not something I am into doing. Running a test right now on a file locker and download speed has increased more that 50% and it is limited because I am using a free account.

Now I found a new issue when I switch back to the new machine Windows 10 is changing my display resolution because I use a KVM Switch~! MFing Win 10~!

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Yeah, I know and great suggestions but just not something I am into doing.

Yeah, got ya. :) Remember, someone rather wise once defined insanity as doing the same thing and expecting different results. :) I'll hush. Oh, wait, ... welcome to the club. Try to enjoy it, suffering insanity is only for losers. :D

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Yeah, got ya. :) Remember, someone rather wise once defined insanity as doing the same thing and expecting different results. :) I'll hush. Oh, wait, ... welcome to the club. Try to enjoy it, suffering insanity is only for losers. :D

No keeps the suggestions coming because something off the wall could point me in a direction that I find my answers.

Rhianne

Diamond Contributor
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee

Where’d you get yours?

gopher_byrd

Cranky Old Fart
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
I use a couple of Arch based distros on my personal laptop which also has Win10-Home.

I use Mabox Linux the most as I've taken a liking to the Openbox window manager which is very lightweight and you can control it using key bindings or pointy-clicky with a mouse. https://maboxlinux.org/

The other distro I use is Manjaro Linux with the XFCE desktop environment. It's lightweight as well, but it's primarily mouse driven. They also have builds with KDE-Plasma and Gnome if you want to go with a full blown Desktop Environment. https://manjaro.org/

While both are Arch based, they are easily installed from the iso and don't require running scripts like basic Arch. Manjaro pull everything from the Arch repositories into their own repositories. Mabox uses the Manjaro repositories as it's base and both can pull from the Arch AUR for community packages. Both run well in a virtual machine since they are pretty light weight on memory usage. I have both installed on separate partitions on a USB-C drive and they run really well.

Debian is a good distro as well. There are plenty of distros based on Debian, such as Ubuntu and Mint which is based on Ubuntu.

Win10 is installed on the internal SSD drive in my laptop and I really only boot into it to keep it updated and run tax software come tax time. I use the USB-C drive for Linux as I didn't want to mess around with partitioning a relatively small (250GB) drive.

:tldr:

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
I prefer win7 but even then the networking left something to be desired vs win2k. Still miss that one. Seems every release they dink with crap and dumb it down just making it more difficult. Oh want to do this? Ok, then it needs to be a home network. Oh, you wanted to do that? Well then it has to be a work network or public network. Oh, well no you can't be part of a home and work/public network at the same time. What?

Feels like I'm at fricken Sonic. No, you can have mayo or mustard. Not both on the same sandwich. Huh? Way to 'fix' it. I loathe updates. How about fix it then release it. Everything is halfassed beta software is constant flux and never truly 'works' seems like. Whether it's winblows, games, doesn't matter. The whole point of tech is to make things more convenient, not have to become a nuclear physicist to sort out. Like I don't have enough hobbies. Eventually it's like screw it, I'm going out to look at the trees and birds. lol.

I don't understand all the conversation about PC operating systems, and I'm so damn thankful that I don't. When I moved from Savannah to Virginia and changed jobs, knowing all that shit became unnecessary, thank god.

I just want the damn PC to work, and I don't want it to shoot up dialog boxes reminding me I need updates every two hours for the rest of my f'n life. I installed seven updates just a few days ago, and the very next time I brought the PC up, it told me I need updates. Well fuck it and the horse it rode in on.

Outside working hours the main purpose of this gizmo I'm on is either recreation or personal business on the Internet. I'm not motivated to know a goddamn thing more than I absolutely need to know to get my stuff done. I've been there, done that, and got the goddamn t-shirt, and I have no wish or intention of making putzing around with PCs my hobby. The less I have to know, the better I like it.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
@SteveS45, are you using Win10-Home or are you using Pro? If you have an unused Win7 Pro key you can use that to upgrade to Win10-Pro for free which may help with your problems. ZDNet Win10 home to Pro upgrade

I can only use Pro because Home Versions can't do the Networking on my own in house Networks. But a Spare Key I can always use~! Thanks in Advance~!

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I don't understand all the conversation about PC operating systems, and I'm so damn thankful that I don't. When I moved from Savannah to Virginia and changed jobs, knowing all that shit became unnecessary, thank god.

I just want the damn PC to work, and I don't want it to shoot up dialog boxes reminding me I need updates every two hours for the rest of my f'n life. I installed seven updates just a few days ago, and the very next time I brought the PC up, it told me I need updates. Well fuck it and the horse it rode in on.

Outside working hours the main purpose of this gizmo I'm on is either recreation or personal business on the Internet. I'm not motivated to know a goddamn thing more than I absolutely need to know to get my stuff done. I've been there, done that, and got the goddamn t-shirt, and I have no wish or intention of making putzing around with PCs my hobby. The less I have to know, the better I like it.

It is what I do for a living so I have to deal with all aspects of Computers and Networking. But this is for my own use because Win XP Pro just can't do what I need it to properly any longer due to Internet Protocols and the OS not being able to update Dot Net for one thing.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
So I gave up working on the new machine and decided to do something more productive which was install two of the Air Conditioners in the house. One is an In Room that I changed rooms so I have setup the plexiglass for the window vents. The other was a new 5K BTU I picked up for Free almost brand new so a little work to put in and a trip to the store for seals.

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
It is what I do for a living so I have to deal with all aspects of Computers and Networking. But this is for my own use because Win XP Pro just can't do what I need it to properly any longer due to Internet Protocols and the OS not being able to update Dot Net for one thing.

I understand. I'm just glad it's you and not me. I had ten years of that, and that was enough.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I understand. I'm just glad it's you and not me. I had ten years of that, and that was enough.

Years ago it was a different world than it is today. I started with Windows 3.1 and have used every OS from Microsoft since except 8 or 8.1 and I have avoided W10 for as long as possible but now I am forced to really dig in.

What is fucked is I have 2 other W10 machine (All Pro) which I am using on the same KVM Switch but the new one reverts to 1024x768 Resolution every time I switch machines. Doesn't do it on boot or disconnecting the Monitor only when Switching. I have the Firmware Update for the KVM Switch but I don't think it is that.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Researching this Issue has shown people have experienced problems since Window 7 with Display properties changing on it's own.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I don't think I ever cursed a Microsoft Operating System as much as Windows 10~! Forget about editing the Registry or half the things we used to do~!

Lady Sarah

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I don't think I ever cursed a Microsoft Operating System as much as Windows 10~! Forget about editing the Registry or half the things we used to do~!
I have 2 laptops. One is Win 8 and the other is Win10. The Win10 is put away in case I need it. The Win8 has updates turned off to prevent Win10 from being installed automatically.
The biggest headache with Win10 is that most of my favorite software cannot be used with Win10 because the plugins cannot be installed. It is absolute garbage. Microshaft had no right deciding I don't have the right to use my computer the way I choose to use it.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I have 2 laptops. One is Win 8 and the other is Win10. The Win10 is put away in case I need it. The Win8 has updates turned off to prevent Win10 from being installed automatically.
The biggest headache with Win10 is that most of my favorite software cannot be used with Win10 because the plugins cannot be installed. It is absolute garbage. Microshaft had no right deciding I don't have the right to use my computer the way I choose to use it.

That is one of the reasons I was and still use Windows XP Pro for Video Editing Software that had not been updated in years and will never be. But the problem I had was I was only getting half the speed I have Downloading, so I tested it with Windows 7 and sure enough was twice as fast. I hated Windows 8 and 8.1 and refused to use them~!

I was forced to buy a new machine which aside from this totally annoying problem of the Display reverting back to 1024x768 everytime I switch with a KVM Switch is working well. That is aside from the last day and a half of me making it work~!

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
The Win10 is put away in case I need it.

You might want to pull that puppy out and run it because I had a laptop I wasn't using and the Battery took a shit from not being charged. Oh yeah then the Power Supply took a shit~! Still using that Laptop. Currently have 3 in service.

Lady Sarah

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
That is one of the reasons I was and still use Windows XP Pro for Video Editing Software that had not been updated in years and will never be. But the problem I had was I was only getting half the speed I have Downloading, so I tested it with Windows 7 and sure enough was twice as fast. I hated Windows 8 and 8.1 and refused to use them~!

I was forced to buy a new machine which aside from this totally annoying problem of the Display reverting back to 1024x768 everytime I switch with a KVM Switch is working well. That is aside from the last day and a half of me making it work~!
I still have a Win7 desktop PC put away as well. I got that with money I made in virtual worlds I was in, after blowing up my XP machine I had tricked out with all the bells and whistles. I still miss that machine. That was back when I still built cheap computers out of garage sale finds, and reselling them. Then, the new PCs came out configured completely differently. My beast could run several heavy programs at the same time, until I fried the motherboard.

Synphul

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I stayed clear of win8 as well. And idk, aside from issues like win95/98 not being able to release memory and tinker with forced page file sizes the version I disliked most was vista. Especially the pre-release I got, think I still have it somewhere when MS was sending out to beta testers and it was still 'longhorn'. Typical winblows, every other release seems to be fairly solid. The ones in between nightmares. 95 eh, 98 was better. Win2k was nice, ME meh. Xp was nice, vista meh. Win 7 was good, 8 was annoying.

I don't really have anything against linux and it does have a lot of usable stuff for many things. Definitely not all. I get the program incompatibility, star office was decent. Definitely don't prefer gimp to photoshop. The gui's (older mind you) looked nice but ultimately glitchy. I know when I set up rh6 it had me make like 5 partitions just to install the os. At least windows ditched fat16/32 for ntfs which made it more stable. I still have some like a bootable lite linux thumb drive os. Have a copy of suse linux somewhere. Another issue for me are games and while running windows virtually is an option seems like a hat on a hat. I could run linux just to have to install win anyway and try to run it through an emulator or virtual machine or something to play games and run windows software that's not ported to linux - or I could just install windows.

Software has hard enough time as it is these days. So much of linux feels like it's in constant trial/developer phase without truly ever feeling complete. Which some people enjoy but don't like feeling like I'm troubleshooting everything in experimental mode. Pc's have lost some of their appeal to me just like many electronics just for the fact that progress is ultimately being lost it feels like. Where things should be running more smoothly these days, the rough edges off, less down time and b.s. there's more of it. Everything from pc's to laptops, tablets, phones, game stations. It's this crashed and that's down and this has a security hole and that needs a patch. Why is the clock wrong on this appliance? Hang on let me get out the star chart and decoder ring. Pop something in the microwave, it's not just 'cook'. It's push this then that, program this, enter that. For shit's sake I just wanted warm coffee or a bag of popcorn. Instead I've become all but a licensed programmer just to record a tv show and deal with all the broken ass software with menu systems that take a user 15 dropboxes deep.

Even watching tv, I've noticed remote batteries don't last as long. Of course they don't. In the older days of remotes, you pushed the numbers for the channel, turned volume up/down or on/off. Now? Turn on the tv, the dvr, the sound system. Go to the menu screen, find the search function, now select the letters by navigating a screen that reminds me of webtv. Or like I'm entering a character name on a nintendo. Then you search for it. Look for it under now playing, movies, tv shows, series.. click to select that. Upcoming episodes, series, season? Would you like season 1, season 2.. no upcoming episodes. No, channels I get. No upcoming episodes.. Fuck it I'll just go outside and throw a rock at a tree. 89 button presses and 15 menus later just to find out 'no episodes this week'. And next week I'll get to replace the batteries in the remote again cause I wore them out. I miss the old days of flipping open a tv guide and circling shit with a pen or highlighter. Boom, done. Old school 1, modern tech 0. The rate they're going I'll be sitting around in soiled underpants because my dresser drawer won't open. Critical error, it's downloading an update.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I spent a shit load of hours trying to find and answer to why Windows changes the resolution to Recommended when I switch PC's but not when rebooting. Funny how it has been happening since 2015 or so and I never heard of it~! I am starting to think it might be the Graphics Adapter but it is On Board and an Expensive throw a Card at it to see if it solves the problem.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
So while sitting here researching EDID Emulators I had a brainstorm~! The cable on this particular Port on the KVM Switch is extra long and could be the answer the the Resolution issue. I use this Port for machines I am working on so I can work on my desk. I will have to wait until later to remove a machine from the network rack.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
So I swapped the new machine into the Network Rack and using a shorter cable but same issue with the Resolution.

VU Sponsors