nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
I stayed clear of win8 as well. And idk, aside from issues like win95/98 not being able to release memory and tinker with forced page file sizes the version I disliked most was vista. Especially the pre-release I got, think I still have it somewhere when MS was sending out to beta testers and it was still 'longhorn'. Typical winblows, every other release seems to be fairly solid. The ones in between nightmares. 95 eh, 98 was better. Win2k was nice, ME meh. Xp was nice, vista meh. Win 7 was good, 8 was annoying.

I don't really have anything against linux and it does have a lot of usable stuff for many things. Definitely not all. I get the program incompatibility, star office was decent. Definitely don't prefer gimp to photoshop. The gui's (older mind you) looked nice but ultimately glitchy. I know when I set up rh6 it had me make like 5 partitions just to install the os. At least windows ditched fat16/32 for ntfs which made it more stable. I still have some like a bootable lite linux thumb drive os. Have a copy of suse linux somewhere. Another issue for me are games and while running windows virtually is an option seems like a hat on a hat. I could run linux just to have to install win anyway and try to run it through an emulator or virtual machine or something to play games and run windows software that's not ported to linux - or I could just install windows.

Software has hard enough time as it is these days. So much of linux feels like it's in constant trial/developer phase without truly ever feeling complete. Which some people enjoy but don't like feeling like I'm troubleshooting everything in experimental mode. Pc's have lost some of their appeal to me just like many electronics just for the fact that progress is ultimately being lost it feels like. Where things should be running more smoothly these days, the rough edges off, less down time and b.s. there's more of it. Everything from pc's to laptops, tablets, phones, game stations. It's this crashed and that's down and this has a security hole and that needs a patch. Why is the clock wrong on this appliance? Hang on let me get out the star chart and decoder ring. Pop something in the microwave, it's not just 'cook'. It's push this then that, program this, enter that. For shit's sake I just wanted warm coffee or a bag of popcorn. Instead I've become all but a licensed programmer just to record a tv show and deal with all the broken ass software with menu systems that take a user 15 dropboxes deep.

Even watching tv, I've noticed remote batteries don't last as long. Of course they don't. In the older days of remotes, you pushed the numbers for the channel, turned volume up/down or on/off. Now? Turn on the tv, the dvr, the sound system. Go to the menu screen, find the search function, now select the letters by navigating a screen that reminds me of webtv. Or like I'm entering a character name on a nintendo. Then you search for it. Look for it under now playing, movies, tv shows, series.. click to select that. Upcoming episodes, series, season? Would you like season 1, season 2.. no upcoming episodes. No, channels I get. No upcoming episodes.. Fuck it I'll just go outside and throw a rock at a tree. 89 button presses and 15 menus later just to find out 'no episodes this week'. And next week I'll get to replace the batteries in the remote again cause I wore them out. I miss the old days of flipping open a tv guide and circling shit with a pen or highlighter. Boom, done. Old school 1, modern tech 0. The rate they're going I'll be sitting around in soiled underpants because my dresser drawer won't open. Critical error, it's downloading an update.

I love Roku TV and I use my phone as the remote. A kindergarten kid could do it. It's one simple piece of technology around here that just doesn't fuck up.

On the other hand, having two cell phones at hand all day (one work, one personal) will drive you absolutely batshit crazy with all the noises they make. I've decided today I'm taking a day off from reacting to phone noises.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I love Roku TV and I use my phone as the remote. A kindergarten kid could do it. It's one simple piece of technology around here that just doesn't fuck up.

On the other hand, having two cell phones at hand all day (one work, one personal) will drive you absolutely batshit crazy with all the noises they make. I've decided today I'm taking a day off from reacting to phone noises.

I control my A/C and Amazon Alexa from my phone. My GF doesn't have an Amazon Account so hers is on my account. Hilarious how I can make it play music or call her from mine across the Internet~! 1st time I did she came home from work to music playing~!

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
While both are Arch based, they are easily installed from the iso and don't require running scripts like basic Arch.

So then they've migrated toward a more graphical package management system? I know one reason I avoided trying Arch was it seemed everything needed compiled from tarball sources.

Ah, belay my question. Got to reading & found out. :) Looks akin to Synaptic in Debian although reads like it's been made more advanced.

Last edited:

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
So I gave up working on the new machine and decided to do something more productive which was install two of the Air Conditioners in the house.

Yeah, me and wife talked about air conditioning today. My resolute stance, "we're not buying another one for where we are." She fully agreed although the weather is really starting to warrant air conditioning. We've bought so many in window air conditioners over the years here, I'm done throwing money away. Her sister and bro in law are working, they can buy one. If not we'll just roast, or use ice water bottles to sleep.

Last edited:

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Yeah, me and wife talked about air conditioning today. My resolute stance, "we're not buying another one for where we are." She fully agreed although the weather is really starting to warrant air conditioning. We've bout so many in window air conditioners over the years here I'm done throwing money away. Her sister and bro in law are working, they can buy one. If not we'll just roast, or use ice water bottles to sleep.

It was over 90°F here today and the Humidity was ridiculous. I fired them up around 8AM when I was outside watering it was already unhealthy.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I have seen these little A/C's they sell at Ace that were under $100 and then you have these.

View attachment 182133
Might keep something like a box fan in mind. Other than that though, I'm adamant on not buying another full A/C unit. Why should we when they use them up each year and pitch them out after? They don't take care of anything. And sure, I don't mind "helping out" but there comes a point, ...

Smigo

Gold Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Might keep something like a box fan in mind. Other than that though, I'm adamant on not buying another full A/C unit. Why should we when they use them up each year and pitch them out after? They don't take care of anything. And sure, I don't mind "helping out" but there comes a point, ...
What on earth do they do to them? We've had ours for 9 yrs.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
What on earth do they do to them? We've had ours for 9 yrs.
For one they run them constant through a day & night. Second, they don't really bother putting one up after the season is over. It gets left to set in the weather outside.

Now, to some degree I could see letting one run day and night. The heat gets that bad, sure. Though you still need to let them sit idle without running a few hours.

No, they let it run a week, or more. Then the abuse of having it set in the weather just tears an A/C unit up. It's like they are with cars, ... run them to ground with no maintenance, care.

Her sister had a min-van & within 3 months it was full of garbage. In six it was not able to run. In four she had worn the brakes out. Sometime after it quit running her husband finally "gets around" to getting new brakes.

In short they just don't f'ing care. "Daddy buy me a new one."

Whereas me and wife are the day to their night. Wife keeps her vehicles up, or sees that it gets done. If she or I cannot do, it goes to a shop. It goes to a dealership for a 14 point inspection, tire rotation, oil change every 3,000 so miles. If something is noted as wrong from that, it's fixed ASAP.

I keep up my Sthil weed eater well too. That's just us, how we learned to be.

Last edited:

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I have A/C Units sitting in the wall, No covers in the Winter over 20 Years. Second floor so hottest part of the house.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I have A/C Units sitting in the wall, No covers in the Winter over 20 Years. Second floor so hottest part of the house.
Yes, but I can guarantee you at least clean the filters, check the coolant. You also probably leave the area under them clear so they can drip off precipitation freely.

They just set them out on the ground and often with the end to face inside, facing up to let all that down into the unit. If they use a garbage to cover one, you're lucky. As I said they just don't care. Daddy will buy new for them.

In this case, me being daddy, "Daddy says fuck that." Beyond what I see of them not caring, not sure what else they do. Can tell you though they pitch them out year after year. So yeah, I'm tired of wasting money only to see it go to pot.

And as for me and wife being responsible. We buy the things and put them into the window. After that, they're for the household. Her sis and bro in law head the household, they ought to be the responsible ones in this case.

We showed responsibility in buying a unit for everyone to stay cool by. It's kind of a handshake pass off. We "help out" you guys can respect that by taking care. So there we are.

It's the same with them all the way around though. Neither of them will bother taking out bathroom trash. He will but only after I've got in there pissed off and toss it out of the bathroom into the hall.

Yes, custodian is my work. As a person though I am not defined by my work. I don't like continually being the one to clean up at home. I will for my wife of course, but even then there's times she'll pitch in and get some done so I don't need to do it. That's nice, all well and good.

They just keep taking advantage and running shit to ground figuring it'll all get bought new or cleaned up for them.

Last edited:

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Yes, but I can guarantee you at least clean the filters, check the coolant. You also probably leave the area under them clear so they can drip off precipitation freely.

New A/C Units are drip-less and there is no coolant to check? As long is it is properly pitched it will last years.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
So I have exhausted every proposed solution I could find for the Windows 10 Resolution issue and just ordered a EDID/DDC Adapter on Amazon for $16. Hopefully that will solve the issue.

Smigo

Gold Contributor
Member For 2 Years
New A/C Units are drip-less and there is no coolant to check? As long is it is properly pitched it will last years.
Mine uses the water it takes out of the air to cool down the rear radiator section by having it pool up at the back allowing the fan to just dip into it then spray it on the heat exchange radiator when its really humid. You dont see any ever drip out because its used that way to make it more efficient.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Mine uses the water it takes out of the air to cool down the rear radiator section by having it pool up at the back allowing the fan to just dip into it then spray it on the heat exchange radiator when its really humid. You dont see any ever drip out because its used that way to make it more efficient.

Yes that is how they make them Energy Efficient by using the Water to cool the Condenser. Using evaporation cools the Condenser faster than just air blowing through it.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
The in room A/C's work because we have one here that cools most of the 1st floor with 12K BTU's. They are great because you don't have to install more that the exhaust hoses in a window and if you want it is easy to remove if you just want fresh air.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
No matter how much complaining I am doing about Windows 10 Pro, it was money well spent because of the speeds I am getting. Sure when the Servers are slammed things will slow down but a 7+ GB file in under 2 minutes is freaking awesome~!

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years

Some actually still do drip out though. Of course, I was told it had coolant like freon in it by her BIL. Mr. "I Know Everything". I kind of doubted it but he complained on needing to do it. *smh*

Not too concerned. Still not buying another. If we roast, we roast. As I said tired of throwing good money after bad. Me and wife move out we're going to have central air/heat w/ heat pump. It'll be taken care of too.

I'm sure her sister will throw a fit. "Why couldn't y'all buy A/C back when with us?" "Because Daddy gonna go live his life, go live yourn'."

Her sister was actually pissed off that the guy at the pizza place was flirting with my wife. Why? Because how dare he flirt with her sister when he was supposed to flirt with her. Um, done told my wife I would have long ago divorced her sister and had her ejected/removed.

In fact doubt her sister would have even caught a glance from me. She has a certain something that ain't just skin deep but goes all through her.

Last edited:

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I was told it had coolant like freon in it by her BIL. Mr. "I Know Everything".

Yes, all A/C Units have Refrigerant but Window A/C's it is not something you service. If an A/C needs Freon it has a leak which needs to be repaired or it will just leak out again and if you top off a system the added pressures can sometimes cause that minor leak to be a major one.

I did A/C work on Automobiles, boats and other mobile applications for years and still have an R12 A/C Charging Station in my garage along with a recovery recycling machine. Useless these days but my HFC134 Machine is still usable.

Smigo

Gold Contributor
Member For 2 Years
I didn't research them but see people buying them when I am in the stores. Principle is sound though.
Yeah they sell. But evaporative things like that just increase the humidity in areas that have high humudity heat. That type of cooler has been around for decades. Its just snake oil sales pitches. Pretending they've reinvented the wheel kind of thing.
We had one, the exact same principle, and it was rubbish. Any cooling only lasted as long as the water stayed cold which in summer was about 30 minutes. They show them on tv here and people in front of it saying to the snake oil salesman saying "oh wow thats icey cold!" Yeah thats cos they just put fresh ice water in it, wait 20 to 30 mins and then see.

Some actually still do drip out though.
Yep plenty still do. Our has the opening to do so but iv never seen it do it. It probably would in the tropics with mad humidity. Ours here is mostly, in Central Victoria, dry heat. Occasionally we get some humid air blow down from the north.

Last edited:

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Yep plenty still do. Our has the opening to do so but iv never seen it do it. It probably would in the tropics with mad humidity. Ours here is mostly, in Central Victoria, dry heat. Occasionally we get some humid air blow down from the north.

I have actually drilled a weep hole in the pan to let them drip~! But that was with older units that built up lots of water. Technology has changed so much and with the newer Condensers they have actually changed the distance between the fins so I have to buy a new comb~!

Smigo

Gold Contributor
Member For 2 Years
I have actually drilled a weep hole in the pan to let them drip~! But that was with older units that built up lots of water. Technology has changed so much and with the newer Condensers they have actually changed the distance between the fins so I have to buy a new comb~!
I have heard that some of the new split cycle systems are pretty good. Both the cooling and heating are very energy efficient. Or so they say from testing them against other types of heaters and coolers.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I have heard that some of the new split cycle systems are pretty good. Both the cooling and heating are very energy efficient. Or so they say from testing them against other types of heaters and coolers.

As long as it has a Gas Burner and not using the A/C as a Heat Pump. Heat Pumps are only good in moderate temperatures not sever cold. They sure generate a lot of heat in hot weather but not in cold.

Smigo

Gold Contributor
Member For 2 Years
As long as it has a Gas Burner and not using the A/C as a Heat Pump. Heat Pumps are only good in moderate temperatures not sever cold. They sure generate a lot of heat in hot weather but not in cold.
Probably ok where I am maybe as we dont get snow. A real low temp winter here in our region is 10c. May get the odd few a little less but you'd count those days on one hand.
10 to 15c is typical winter weather here. Yesterday was a nice surpise, got to 19.
Our gas wall heater is on right now. Owner put a new one in a few yrs ago and works great. The air con I installed. And I can tell you that me being far from a handyman woodwork wise it was an epic adventure building the outside 5 foot high stand for it.
Was the biggest plug in one we could get so I had to make a goody for it. It aint pretty but its solid. :giggle:

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
The air con I installed. And I can tell you that me being far from a handyman woodwork wise it was an epic adventure building the outside 5 foot high stand for it.
Was the biggest plug in one we could get so I had to make a goody for it. It aint pretty but its solid.

Here was the one I installed before the moldings

1621908309434.png

Smigo

Gold Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Here was the one I installed before the moldings

View attachment 182176
Cool. (No pun intended)
I'd show you my monstrosity woodwork effort but its raining pretty hard now. Which we're happy with here we need it.
Here's the beast from the inside veiw. The tapes just to stop a tiny annoying buzz vibration i hear when its on full. Im ocd about buzzing rattle noises, house, car anywhere :giggle:
20210525_123949(1).jpg

Synphul

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I haven't had the best of luck with window ac's. The one in my room's held up for several years now, the one in the living room is only a year old. Been through 3 or 4 units the past 12yrs or so. Which I don't get, all different brands. Pricier 'name' brands don't seem to make a bit of difference. I clean the filters, clean the fins on both the condenser and evap. Sucks they're not serviceable. Not without drilling/tapping and trying to macgyver ports into them. Not even worth the effort really. The one in the living room was sitting on a table inside with the vent facing out a window. Didn't have a proper shelf for it and already dumped one out a window (that sucked). Have a window bracket supposed to be here today but never showed. Usps on it as usual.

Took the weedeater out and cleared the grass out the drive to the gate and around the truck and stuff. Tied up the fava beans (some small beans starting, yay). Worried if it storms winds could blow them over. Dug more weeds out of the garden and moved one of the peach trees. They've been temporarily sitting in the empty area I left for the melons and butternut to vine out. Need to shift stuff around that was moved out of the way for the time being and get the weeds down again. Get more straw on the ground. I won't have a chance once the melons and things start to grow and I've already played that game. Grass and weeds growing up knee deep where vines are trying to grow is miserable. Might start tying up tomatoes tomorrow, not that they're leaning yet but probably better to catch them before they do.

Smigo

Gold Contributor
Member For 2 Years
I haven't had the best of luck with window ac's. The one in my room's held up for several years now, the one in the living room is only a year old. Been through 3 or 4 units the past 12yrs or so. Which I don't get, all different brands. Pricier 'name' brands don't seem to make a bit of difference. I clean the filters, clean the fins on both the condenser and evap. Sucks they're not serviceable. Not without drilling/tapping and trying to macgyver ports into them. Not even worth the effort really. The one in the living room was sitting on a table inside with the vent facing out a window. Didn't have a proper shelf for it and already dumped one out a window (that sucked). Have a window bracket supposed to be here today but never showed. Usps on it as usual.
You and Magic have had the same luck with them by the sounds of it. What a pain going through so many, that sucks.
There is still one in my old parents house which my sister lives in now. Its been there for 25 yrs. To be honest I am amazed it's still working myself. Can't recall the brand.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Cool. (No pun intended)
I'd show you my monstrosity woodwork effort but its raining pretty hard now. Which we're happy with here we need it.
Here's the beast from the inside veiw. The tapes just to stop a tiny annoying buzz vibration i hear when its on full. Im ocd about buzzing rattle noises, house, car anywhere :giggle:
View attachment 182177

Now I see why you had to build something outside. Most over 8-10K BUT's come with Brackets but I did not need to use them since the wall is reinforced and double insulated now.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Here is a New Unit I just picked up for FREE~! 5K BTU's but I think I may cut some wood panels for behing the accordions.

1621942707538.png
Actually I think it is about 2 years old but very little usage. From what I found out it cost around $200 from Walmart. Arctic Air

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Oh and this Arctic Air unit is Quiet as all get go with great cooling. This year I used the in room and this little one to cool the whole 1st floor so far. I still have to put the 10 or 12K BTU unit in the dining room but I will put it in the side window instead of the back like last year because since Dad passed away I was able to put the living room behind his chair.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
So I spent today running down to Freeport and picking up almost 200 Paving Bricks. Load and then unload the truck and move them to behind the shed. Had to level a section next to the fence to stack them. just under 5 hours total and now I am hitting the shower and then having a beer~!

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Act right according to someone else's ideas.
Eat right according to someone else's ideas.
Live right according to someone else's ideas.
Die anyway. F*ck it, gonna enjoy the ride.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Was already out at the stack of bricks picking some better matching colors. After all the lifting bending and hauling I felt it a little bit last night but this morning I have to say I feel good. Sort of pumped~!

VU Sponsors