Become a Patron!

Vaping on the Front or back Porch

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Sitting in the yard and was enjoying the sunny day but damn it is hot
85F here and humid. Got to do a half shift this evening. One of very few schools I've not yet worked in.

The county has 12 schools. 2 I do not work for good reason. Been pulling shifts in about 7. No feeling about it today. It's only work.

Outside briefly to let dog out a bit, fetch him back in. Just sat in our bedroom most of the day.

Wed 26 May 2021 09:43:16 PM EDT - Update

Got to the school to meet with the guy I was subbing for. He said he was buttering me up. He had got all but 3 classes and a set of bathrooms.

I figured it was a sneaky ploy to do an evaluation. So, I did everything up to specs. Took me a bit to get the hang of their green machine, twenty minutes.

He could have explained it in a second but wanted to run his mouth about other stuff. So it took what it took. Yee ha, still just a day.

Figure will rack out, pass out now. Probably just a day tomorrow as well.

Last edited:

Synphul

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Got some more straw spread in the garden area. Cleaned some stuff out of the open area for the melons and stuff to sprawl, moved the peach trees around some. Plucked more weeds. Added some epsom salts to the bell peppers and tomatoes. Tried to keep it away from the lettuce in the tomato bed, apparently good for maters, not so much for lettuce.

Tomato growth in a month, planted 4-26. So far so good.

1622100422449.png

Lettuce, spinach and kale making progress.

1622100531606.png

Definitely need to add more straw, trying to keep the damn weeds down.

1622100657395.png
1622100714018.png

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
So today is Lawn cutting day but it has been suggested I should put another Rhombus next to it to match~!

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Most floor cleaning machines have Instructions on them or at least warning labels of what not to do~!

Obviously, if it would have had instructions on it, would have seen them. He showed me "it's got switches". Others I've run have used buttons, dials, keys.

This was not what threw me off though. So with no instructions visible it took twenty minutes of trial and error. Managed it despite lacking some basic communication.

Which really brings me to this point. Finding it difficult to communicate any more myself. Always seems a conflict in some manner and not worth the effort.

Come to think, it's likely my fault for not asking for more instruction. Yes, figure that's the retort. Well maybe but the counter being I'm still considered somewhat in training. Seems those in full time spots should offer instruction freely, without needing asked.

So it is basically a :deadhorse: discussion/argument. It could go either way, with both being wrong or right. Same difference.

Anyhow yeah, still just a day here. Oh joy.

Last edited:

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Obviously, if it would have had instructions on it, would have seen them. He showed me "it's got switches". Others I've run have used buttons, dials, keys.

This was not what threw me off though. So with no instructions visible it took twenty minutes of trial and error. Managed it despite lacking some basic communication.

Which really brings me to this point. Finding it difficult to communicate any more myself. Always seems a conflict in some manner and not worth the effort.

Come to think, it's likely my fault for not asking for more instruction. Yes, figure that's the retort. Well maybe but the counter being I'm still considered somewhat in training. Seems those in full time spots should offer instruction freely, without needing asked.

So it is basically a :deadhorse: discussion/argument. It could go either way, with both being wrong or right. Same difference.

Anyhow yeah, still just a day here. Oh joy.

I have to side with you the person shwing you what to do should have at least asked if you used one before and gave a quick tutorial. But you could have said.......... Uh how does this thing work?

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
So once I was all done I noticed I fucked up and had to redo the second one I did today. So lets have some fun~!

Who can spot the difference?

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I have to side with you the person shwing you what to do should have at least asked if you used one before and gave a quick tutorial. But you could have said.......... Uh how does this thing work?
He did ask that. I owned to using them before yet not being comfortable using them. Guess this didn't seem an obvious cue to offer a tutorial for this particular one.

I also then asked if I could simply mop the hallway. He insisted I use the machine. So it took twenty minutes to get familiar with it.

I'm sure they got laughable CCTV footage. I also didn't get the alarm set for the school. He gave me the code numbers. I was not sure if you needed to hit anything more.

It kept saying disarmed. Luckily the building was locked up with standard door locks. I know it was an evaluation too. Not all that concerned either way.

If asked why I did so poorly will explain lack of communication. Of course, that'll likely infer to them I'm taking an "attitude". At which point upon being told I am, yes, I will have an attitude.

See what lacking communication does? People might listen but they don't hear. They don't want bothered.

Like it's clear you're not bothered I'm obviously depressed as hell the last few days. Can I go through my "self care check list" and find a reason/solution set?

Wish I could but, nope. I'm just in a damn bad way with no real reason other than I just feel like life is shitty. And not being capable/able to discuss things freely, openly, without fear of conflict for just simply feeling that isn't helping.

And being clear, it's a general "life is shitty", so unfortunately I cannot give a specific. Would that it be so easy.

And yes, I know you're a bud. Sorry if I seem to be a growling bear right now. I'm not aiming at you specifically, not really aiming at all. I'm just feeling crappy and it seems nobody gives a flying fuck, even myself at this point.

"Oh gee so I'm depressed, how is that new?"

Eventually the gears'll turn, I'll chug on through it, ... so we hope.

Last edited:

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Here's some pictures from my garden, and yes I know I ain't very good at takin picturesscreenshot.png

screenshot.png

Above are my taders

screenshot.pngscreenshot.png

These are the sweet onions I grew from seed. I grew All my plants from seed

Beyond the onions are cucumbers on one fence and winter5 squash on the other. To the left of that is a bed of beets and a short row of hot peppers (pablamo's aneheim's and jalapenos

Last edited:

Synphul

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
There's a bed of carrots but picture didn't come out :rolleyes:

Still have lima beans and green beans to put in, but green beans wont go in till the taders and onions come out
Damn your garden looks really nice. Mine's not the most efficient use of space, always like the look of more traditional rows. Part of my issue, I've had a bad habit in the past of having what looked like an ok garden. Until it filled in and grew, not having a good concept of adult plants and ending up with a jungle lol. I know the one year I had patty pan and zucchini waist deep, up to my nads and trying to high step through solid squash plants to get anywhere and not trample them. Bend over to pick stuff and I'd disappear fully.

That coupled with I can only eat so many. Too many to eat, too few to sell. Kind of awkward. And I'd gladly share with neighbors but apparently they all pretty much boycott veggies. So when I have extras I typically put them in a box or grocery sacks and leave them outside a store someplace with a 'free' sign. Now I try to leave walkways through everything which eats up a lot of usable space. But I find I don't curse near so much.

Like my jalapenos last year, grew extremely well. Easily could've had 2-3x as many. As it was I was picking 100-120 peppers every 2-3 days. And they produced into early fall. There's only so many jalapenos one can use (I found out). I had jalapeno poppers by the 100's, sliced up and turned into cowboy candy and canned, plain sliced and canned, still have some frozen and a few plants in this year.

I've never tried potatoes. Haven't had much good luck with radishes or carrots, both supposedly easy to grow. I had better luck with radishes in Arizona than I've had here in the midwest. Green onions, lettuce and stuff is new for me as is corn. At least in a home garden. Worked on a corn farm for a few years in Az, that farmer set aside a few acres for potatoes to try them out. Was kind of a messy venture, man rotten potatoes stink. Green onions are new for me too, looking at how many you've got planted I may not have planted enough. Wasn't really sure how many to plant.

Smigo

Gold Contributor
Member For 2 Years
He did ask that. I owned to using them before yet not being comfortable using them. Guess this didn't seem an obvious cue to offer a tutorial for this particular one.

I also then asked if I could simply mop the hallway. He insisted I use the machine. So it took twenty minutes to get familiar with it.

I'm sure they got laughable CCTV footage. I also didn't get the alarm set for the school. He gave me the code numbers. I was not sure if you needed to hit anything more.

It kept saying disarmed. Luckily the building was locked up with standard door locks. I know it was an evaluation too. Not all that concerned either way.

If asked why I did so poorly will explain lack of communication. Of course, that'll likely infer to them I'm taking an "attitude". At which point upon being told I am, yes, I will have an attitude.

See what lacking communication does? People might listen but they don't hear. They don't want bothered.

Like it's clear you're not bothered I'm obviously depressed as hell the last few days. Can I go through my "self care check list" and find a reason/solution set?

Wish I could but, nope. I'm just in a damn bad way with no real reason other than I just feel like life is shitty. And not being capable/able to discuss things freely, openly, without fear of conflict for just simply feeling that isn't helping.

And being clear, it's a general "life is shitty", so unfortunately I cannot give a specific. Would that it be so easy.

And yes, I know you're a bud. Sorry if I seem to be a growling bear right now. I'm not aiming at you specifically, not really aiming at all. I'm just feeling crappy and it seems nobody gives a flying fuck, even myself at this point.

"Oh gee so I'm depressed, how is that new?"

Eventually the gears'll turn, I'll chug on through it, ... so we hope.
Im sure more people care than you realise. Its the depression making you feel like they dont.
There always are those however that dont care in life but thats with all of us that get that. Just dont focus on them or waste your personal mind time on them.
My misses has suffered depression for yrs. She takes some med for it which made a huge difference for the better. There were times before that though in years gone by where living with her was a constant nightmare of verbal abuse directed at me. She once got arrested, once taken by ambulance under guard to a mental health facility, twice I came home from work locked out of the house with all my belongings thrown on the garage floor.
What im saying is you dont need to suffer needlessly thinking people dont care and that there is no help. There is help out there and no shame in reaching out for it. My wife realised that eventually and it changed her whole life, and mine.

2WhiteWolves

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
So once I was all done I noticed I fucked up and had to redo the second one I did today. So lets have some fun~!

Who can spot the difference?
The middle is different
60e4f5d7b14a7490062a7b135d9b8025.jpg

4ca2ace18619bdef42467c86813f0ef2.jpg

! WAKE UP ! from the MEDIA SPELL !

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
What im saying is you dont need to suffer needlessly thinking people dont care and that there is no help. There is help out there and no shame in reaching out for it. My wife realised that eventually and it changed her whole life, and mine.

I have lived with this life long. Have reached out and met with quackery to be honest. All the "pros" here suggest is lithium salts or "find Jesus".

Well, I don't want lithium salts having seen them give people chemical lobotomies. As to finding Jesus, what gives anyone a right to push any religion as a means to "fix" a life long ailment? Yes, know I'm not exactly a "happy" person but I am happily agnostic.

I figure the depression in part is tied with the KS. The hypothalamus in me didn't function proper since birth. So, my brain/body doesn't make all the dopamine and other glorious chemicals which make non-KS people all jolly "well rounded".

One of the quacks verbally suggested it could possibly be bipolar. Nothing was written down of course, no "official" diagnoses given. They then again suggested lithium salts if one "last" ditch drug didn't work.

Oddly that last ditch was a medication for bipolar. It didn't work. So now I'm stuck at lithium salts or finding Jesus.

Even the physical doctors are suggesting finding Jesus. I'm left not knowing anything regarding my kidneys. One week "omg, how did this get missed you got bad kidney disease" and the next "well you've been this way since birth, nothing to worry over".

So how the blazes am I to give over trust to so called doctors at this point? They want to push religion and/or snake oil. These are either irrelevant or ineffective in my case. *sighs* Wish that wasn't how it went but it is.

Ah yes also there's the whole me being alive thing which flies in the face of medical science. My mom ought not have had me much less my two brothers. Secondly, I come back from death at 11 months old.

Last edited:

Smigo

Gold Contributor
Member For 2 Years
I have lived with this life long. Have reached out and met with quackery to be honest. All the "pros" here suggest is lithium salts or "find Jesus".

Well, I don't want lithium salts having seen them give people chemical lobotomies. As to finding Jesus, what gives anyone a right to push any religion as a means to "fix" a life long ailment? Yes, know I'm not exactly a "happy" person but I am happily agnostic.

I figure the depression in part is tied with the KS. The hypothalamus in me didn't function proper since birth. So, my brain/body doesn't make all the dopamine and other glorious chemicals which make non-KS people all jolly "well rounded".

One of the quacks verbally suggested it could possibly be bipolar. Nothing was written down of course, no "official" diagnoses given. They then again suggested lithium salts if one "last" ditch drug didn't work.

Oddly that last ditch was a medication for bipolar. It didn't work. So now I'm stuck at lithium salts or finding Jesus.

Even the physical doctors are suggesting finding Jesus. I'm left not knowing anything regarding my kidneys. One week "omg, how did this get missed you got bad kidney disease" and the next "well you've been this way since birth, nothing to worry over".

So how the blazes am I to give over trust to so called doctors at this point? They want to push religion and/or snake oil. These are either irrelevant or ineffective in my case. *sighs* Wish that wasn't how it went but it is.

Ah yes also there's the whole me being alive thing which flies in the face of medical science. My mom ought not have had me much less my two brothers. Secondly, I come back from death at 11 months old.
Sorry to hear how things are.
Has anyone ever suggested any type of support group where you could talk with others who deal with the same issues and share how they cope and deal with things, share ideas and strategies or anything other than seeing Drs?
But im gonna guess you've tried every avenue there is.
All the best is all I can say and hang in there. 👍

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Waiting a little longer to start doing the lawn work this morning. Have to trim the bushes on the side growing like crazy so needs a trim.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Sorry to hear how things are.
Has anyone ever suggested any type of support group where you could talk with others who deal with the same issues and share how they cope and deal with things, share ideas and strategies or anything other than seeing Drs?
But im gonna guess you've tried every avenue there is.
All the best is all I can say and hang in there. 👍

There is an international group for KS folk. People share their stories. Then, it's left as the awkward silence after the usual "hang in" type of responses.

People around here have long ago realized the doctors aren't for two cents. They just chug along best they can. You might say "you know the doctors aren't worth much" and get agreement.

There's no real "support" to help anyone. We all know the doctors are rarely any help. What can anyone do about it? The doctors are all educated, certified. We just take what help they can offer, if any.

Suppose it doesn't help much the Appalachian & Ozark mindset is you go to doctors or hospitals to die. That usually means the doctors face uphill travels to help folks, as folks come to see them in bad shape.

Did get some help this morning regarding my ankle. The PT doctor put my foot into some water with electricity running through it. Had to do exercises to get everything loosened up.

Then she messaged out a knotted muscle. It was difficult getting it out as it rests up against my shin bone. There was a scraping tool used.

Got me thinking, ... I'd probably fall apart if I got a full body message. *chuckles*

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
So I trimmed the bushes between the houses and my freaking Leaf Blower kissed the ghost~! Thought I flooded it the other day and when I went to use it it would not start. Cleared out the flood and still no start. Checked for Spark and had Spark but not going threw the plug. So I ran around to get a plug and still no start? The coil is going so not enough voltage to jump the gap. Forget buying parts because it is a Craftsman and no more Sears. Off to Home Depot in the morning to buy an Echo.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Had to buy a new Guide Bar and Chain for my Electric Chain Saw. Should have bought a new one for what the parts cost~! But now it works flawlessly and I can cut wood for the fire pit.

Smigo

Gold Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Had to buy a new Guide Bar and Chain for my Electric Chain Saw. Should have bought a new one for what the parts cost~! But now it works flawlessly and I can cut wood for the fire pit.
That's one of the things that bug me these days. There's often too little gap between buying new and getting parts for things or getting them repaired.
I got a brushcutter, we call them whipersnippers, and it kept spinning fast even at idle when you released the trigger. It slowed down but wouldnt stop like it should. I hadn't had it long, a few months and still under warranty so I took it to get fixed where I got it from. Went to pick it up and the guy said "that'll be $110 thanks". I said "mate it only cost me $130". He said "yeah but thats what it cost to fix." Me "yeah but I got it from you not long ago and its got a 12 mth warranty, I showed you the receipt when I brought it in".
Oh so you did! :facepalm:

Synphul

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yea the cost of stuff is insane. Making it impossible or undesirable to repair anything. People complain about the myriad of vape coils with a triple fused helix framed flapperton and shit. They should shop chainsaw chains. lol. With the double shark toothed skip a beat low/no kickback chip kicker 8000. FFS, just cut the damn wood. And I hate sharpening shit since I usually make it duller. Even more fantastic on a chain, after I've so methodically sharpened it the same number of strokes on each tooth. Just to have it carve in circles. Like well shit, I guess I got that side too sharp. haha.

I've got some trees that need to come down. To be honest been a little sketched out about it after the last few times I dropped trees a couple years ago. My gung ho approach has given way to skeptical caution. A smaller one I thought I had notched enough to fight the lean and drop away fell back and landed on the roof, one of the branches put out the kitchen window. Then another good sized sucker out away from the house with a 24-28" diameter trunk around 40ft high I notched. Or thought I did good enough, came in from the backside to finish dropping it and instead of toppling over the piece of shit rocked back and sat on itself. Pinched the bar and chain tight, the saw was stuck. The tree nearly cut through and now just sitting there precariously. It's only a 16" saw so was already working it from both sides to try and get all the way through it.

Had a buddy of mine come over with his tow truck and try to persuade it. He hooked on with his tow cable, chocked the wheels and the tree sat there while the front of his f-450 raised up off the ground. Finally got some help from another neighbor with saws and a tractor and got that fat bitch down but the pucker factor was strong. And invariably they either get stuck in nearby trees hanging there like a death trap or magically find a fence to crush. Had some guys come out and take care of a couple I didn't want to tangle with that, they were close to outbuildings and power lines. They had a lot better gear and as a team one had cleats and shimmied his way up topping it and knocking a bunch of limbs off with guide ropes attached to control the fall. Much safer. Out away from everything so long as I can clear a path usually don't care which way it falls so long as it falls. Don't want a repeat of that one that just sat there creaking with a trapped saw.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Yea the cost of stuff is insane. Making it impossible or undesirable to repair anything. People complain about the myriad of vape coils with a triple fused helix framed flapperton and shit. They should shop chainsaw chains. lol. With the double shark toothed skip a beat low/no kickback chip kicker 8000. FFS, just cut the damn wood. And I hate sharpening shit since I usually make it duller. Even more fantastic on a chain, after I've so methodically sharpened it the same number of strokes on each tooth. Just to have it carve in circles. Like well shit, I guess I got that side too sharp. haha.

I've got some trees that need to come down. To be honest been a little sketched out about it after the last few times I dropped trees a couple years ago. My gung ho approach has given way to skeptical caution. A smaller one I thought I had notched enough to fight the lean and drop away fell back and landed on the roof, one of the branches put out the kitchen window. Then another good sized sucker out away from the house with a 24-28" diameter trunk around 40ft high I notched. Or thought I did good enough, came in from the backside to finish dropping it and instead of toppling over the piece of shit rocked back and sat on itself. Pinched the bar and chain tight, the saw was stuck. The tree nearly cut through and now just sitting there precariously. It's only a 16" saw so was already working it from both sides to try and get all the way through it.

Had a buddy of mine come over with his tow truck and try to persuade it. He hooked on with his tow cable, chocked the wheels and the tree sat there while the front of his f-450 raised up off the ground. Finally got some help from another neighbor with saws and a tractor and got that fat bitch down but the pucker factor was strong. And invariably they either get stuck in nearby trees hanging there like a death trap or magically find a fence to crush. Had some guys come out and take care of a couple I didn't want to tangle with that, they were close to outbuildings and power lines. They had a lot better gear and as a team one had cleats and shimmied his way up topping it and knocking a bunch of limbs off with guide ropes attached to control the fall. Much safer. Out away from everything so long as I can clear a path usually don't care which way it falls so long as it falls. Don't want a repeat of that one that just sat there creaking with a trapped saw.

Reminded me of her granddad's last timbering run. He had an old three ton truck he used. Of course, all his butter knives were Stihls.

He got me and we headed up onto Whit's hill. We found a pitch area and shimmied down, saw in tow. Started sawing, made the wedge.

He flipped around to the opposing side & sawed. We both figured the tree, a pine, would pitch down the hill. It was how he had cut it.

Next I remember was him giving me a shove on up the hill. He kind of tossed and handed me his saw. The tree pitched in one of those freeze a second moments.

It didn't pitch down but right back up the hill down over his legs. I climbed up to a more level area of the hill, more like scrambled. Sat his knife down out of the way then clamored right back to him.

"My one leg is free enough, the other pinned, Barn," he told me. I told him to give me a minute. Felt around his legs and made sure there was nothing broke and no external bleeding.

All the while feeling his legs I was looking around the area. He knew exactly what I was doing. "Over yon is one what might work."

Went and got the log he had pointed out. Come back and used it as a lever to slowly lift the fallen tree up, over and away from him. "Don't you move out from under it, let me get it safe off you first," I told him.

Once I had rolled the tree it then took to its own pitch and went on down the hill. We both laughed. I helped him get to his feet and we got to his butter knife up the hill.

He only had half a load of post logs. We got in the truck, come on out. He dropped me at his house. On the way back down off Whitt's hill he told me, "well Barn, I'm finished with this."

Years later I would see in a big fancy movie one of my heroes killed by a tree. Yes, Wolverine of the X-men done in by a tree. I say trees must die. *chuckles*

That wasn't the only time I saved her granddad. Each time I did he got a knowing look in his eyes. Me and him disagreed about beliefs but at the same time believed that didn't matter. We could get along and did quite well. There was too much else we did agree on.

Yes, he quit timbering for posts that day. But we still went out for firewood. *chuckles* Damn old goat wouldn't be deterred from his fun.

Synphul

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Reminded me of her granddad's last timbering run. He had an old three ton truck he used. Of course, all his butter knives were Stihls.

He got me and we headed up onto Whit's hill. We found a pitch area and shimmied down, saw in tow. Started sawing, made the wedge.

He flipped around to the opposing side & sawed. We both figured the tree, a pine, would pitch down the hill. It was how he had cut it.

Next I remember was him giving me a shove on up the hill. He kind of tossed and handed me his saw. The tree pitched in one of those freeze a second moments.

It didn't pitch down but right back up the hill down over his legs. I climbed up to a more level area of the hill, more like scrambled. Sat his knife down out of the way then clamored right back to him.

"My one leg is free enough, the other pinned, Barn," he told me. I told him to give me a minute. Felt around his legs and made sure there was nothing broke and no external bleeding.

All the while feeling his legs I was looking around the area. He knew exactly what I was doing. "Over yon is one what might work."

Went and got the log he had pointed out. Come back and used it as a lever to slowly lift the fallen tree up, over and away from him. "Don't you move out from under it, let me get it safe off you first," I told him.

Once I had rolled the tree it then took to its own pitch and went on down the hill. We both laughed. I helped him get to his feet and we got to his butter knife up the hill.

He only had half a load of post logs. We got in the truck, come on out. He dropped me at his house. On the way back down off Whitt's hill he told me, "well Barn, I'm finished with this."

Years later I would see in a big fancy movie one of my heroes killed by a tree. Yes, Wolverine of the X-men done in by a tree. I say trees must die. *chuckles*

That wasn't the only time I saved her granddad. Each time I did he got a knowing look in his eyes. Me and him disagreed about beliefs but at the same time believed that didn't matter. We could get along and did quite well. There was too much else we did agree on.

Yes, he quit timbering for posts that day. But we still went out for firewood. *chuckles* Damn old goat wouldn't be deterred from his fun.
Yea that's some scary stuff. Trees are always so damn heavy even the 'small' ones. Originally I had a saw just for emergency type stuff. Cutting up fallen trees, removing branches, things like that.

The first few I got were poulan and their newer ones are nothing like the old time models. Cheap pieces of junk, aptly named since I was constantly 'pullin' on them to get them to start. Ran like shit, wouldn't idle even with tuning, eventually would lose compression and die.

Ended up getting a decent little Husqvarna from a factory outlet place selling refurbs. Not sure which, the 435 or 440. Probably the 435 they're pretty much the same. Came with the 16" bar. Even being on the lower end and size it's one of the models still made in Sweden. Man what a difference. Prime it, one, maybe two pulls choked, flip it and fires right up every time. Idles without dying. Granted it's not the 455 rancher but it also wasn't $500 lol. Think I got mine for around $160 or something. And I'm sure a friend of mine I went to high school with would laugh at it. A lot of her family, uncles and things ran a logging company. Her dad worked for years up north someplace as a heli-logger. Definitely nothing like those big 30" + modified saws I've seen guys use. The ones who burn through a 24-30" log in seconds like it's warm butter, good gravy.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Yea that's some scary stuff. Trees are always so damn heavy even the 'small' ones. Originally I had a saw just for emergency type stuff. Cutting up fallen trees, removing branches, things like that.

The first few I got were poulan and their newer ones are nothing like the old time models. Cheap pieces of junk, aptly named since I was constantly 'pullin' on them to get them to start. Ran like shit, wouldn't idle even with tuning, eventually would lose compression and die.

Ended up getting a decent little Husqvarna from a factory outlet place selling refurbs. Not sure which, the 435 or 440. Probably the 435 they're pretty much the same. Came with the 16" bar. Even being on the lower end and size it's one of the models still made in Sweden. Man what a difference. Prime it, one, maybe two pulls choked, flip it and fires right up every time. Idles without dying. Granted it's not the 455 rancher but it also wasn't $500 lol. Think I got mine for around $160 or something. And I'm sure a friend of mine I went to high school with would laugh at it. A lot of her family, uncles and things ran a logging company. Her dad worked for years up north someplace as a heli-logger. Definitely nothing like those big 30" + modified saws I've seen guys use. The ones who burn through a 24-30" log in seconds like it's warm butter, good gravy.

LOL Wife's bro in law recently got a 30" saw. He asked my FIL "how you take it anywhere?"

Me and FIL had a good chuckle over that. He told him to sling it up over his shoulder and move on. I've seen them carried in tow by a bit of rope but only in roughest terrain.

My wife's poor BIL though "man I don't want to lug it around."

Me and FIL still chuckle.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
So last night when looking up reviews for my new Leaf Blower I see many people complaining that it takes 50:1 2 Cycle Fuel. I am sitting here saying WTF my Weed Whacker is 40:1? So I look up the latest Manual and it says regardless of what previous Manuals say you are supposed to use 50:1 but it came with a bottle of oil to make 40:1 mixture~! WTF?

So I have to go look close at the bottle of Oil and see if it makes a 50:1 or a 40:1 because it says ECHO~!

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I also researched what the Experts had to say on the subject and many say just use 40:1 but I think I will adjust my jug to be 50:1. Any thoughts?

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
So last night when looking up reviews for my new Leaf Blower I see many people complaining that it takes 50:1 2 Cycle Fuel. I am sitting here saying WTF my Weed Whacker is 40:1? So I look up the latest Manual and it says regardless of what previous Manuals say you are supposed to use 50:1 but it came with a bottle of oil to make 40:1 mixture~! WTF?

So I have to go look close at the bottle of Oil and see if it makes a 50:1 or a 40:1 because it says ECHO~!
:facepalm:

Well, I had an excellent evening/night shift last night at Fairplain. D., the fellow I was standing in for had left his routine list. I read over it just before 1 PM. Deb was there too. She walked me through setting the alarm & showed me the other side of the school.

D., does the whole school of the night shift. It's not that big of a school. The schedule I was given was 1:30 P to 9 P. His routine was from 2 P to 10 P.

After reading over his routine I saw my way clear to figure doing it my way. I did the same exact work but just in a different manner. My way figures doing stuff in a chain fashion, or factory line style.

First I went round and got the trash out of the whole school. Next I went on and stocked, cleaned all the bathrooms. Next up was sweeping out all the class rooms into the hallways & sweeping down the halls as I come on through.

It was no later than 3 and I was half done. Next wiped class desks down and used the hydro-static sprayer to disinfect classes, bathrooms. Swept out & swabbed bathrooms. Lunch at 6 P & then, on to the green machine to scrub all the hallway floors, cafeteria, gym.

I also vacuumed all the rugs before sweeping and swabbing my bathrooms. After I finished with green machine I was finished as I'd shut up the classrooms en route after wiping down desks and "gunning" the rooms.

Wife hollered at me and ask if it was still 9 she needed to get me. She mentioned graduation traffic. It was 7:45 and all I needed to do was fill in my bathroom sheets. Told her to come on and get me. I had gone in an hour early anyway, the work was done, saw no need to sit an hour doing nothing.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
So I just checked the bottle I used for the last gallon of 2 Cycle Fuel I made and it says it makes a 50:1 Ratio but it is only 2.6 Oz. Strange because most says 2.6 Oz makes a 40:1 with one Gallon onf Gasoline. Now I have to go check the last stuff I bought to see what those bottles say. Why can't anything me straight forward anymore?

Smigo

Gold Contributor
Member For 2 Years

So the bottle was the Echo brand oil? I think the high quality synthetics are good at 50:1
But the older types mix lower ratios.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Since I have been using 50:1 thinking it was 40:1 I can't screw up now~! If it was freaking 49°F and raining I would assemble and fire up the new Blower.
Looks like we got rain all day. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Might do laundry, might wait til 'mary.

If only so she has her own washer & dryer and we do laundry at home, will I look forward to us getting our own place. Damn this needing to run 20+ miles to go wash clothes. We don't wash in Ripley as the water out there smells of sulfur and doesn't get anything clean.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
So the bottle was the Echo brand oil? I think the high quality synthetics are good at 50:1
But the older types mix lower ratios.

Yes, it was ECHO Brand Oil and as far as I know more oil means more lubrication.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
So I just checked the new Oil I bought and it says 8 Oz to 3 Gallons of gasoline. Doing the math that is 2.6 Oz for a Gallon at 50:1. I guess I was making 50:1 all along?

VU Sponsors