Become a Patron!

Vaping on the Front or back Porch

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
So I got the Desktop and Smart Phone App working plus using the Cellular Data to access the cams. One thing left is to get the PTZ Functionality working for Zoom/Focus on the cameras.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
tired-monday.gif

gopher_byrd

Cranky Old Fart
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Been busier than a one armed paper hanger. Work and dealing with my mother in law's passing a couple of weeks ago. My sister in law had hernia surgery the same week my MIL passed and it went to shit. It got infected and now she won't be able to attend the funeral for my MIL on Friday. She's looking at suing for malpractice and I think she should with all the pain and suffering she has been through. Her original surgeon has been taken off her case. They did a MRI Saturday and unrelated to the surgery they found a cancerous lesion on one of her kidneys. They'll deal with that after they get the infection cleared up. When it rains it pours...

Today it's off to pick up a rental car to drive north to Redding, CA to provide training for the electric utility up there. Plus I have a dentist exam and cleaning today. Just too much going on... At least I have Thursday off for Veteran's Day as well as Friday for the funeral.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
So I shipped the Used NVR System back this morning but for my inconvenience I decided to scoff one more camera out of the package. Installed a camera on the second floor and one in the backyard. Had to change the IP Address of the additional camera but all up and running.

VapeOn1960

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
My sister in law had hernia surgery the same week my MIL passed and it went to shit. It got infected and now she won't be able to attend the funeral for my MIL on Friday. She's looking at suing for malpractice and I think she should with all the pain and suffering she has been through. Her original surgeon has been taken off her case.
I guess I was lucky (had hernia surgery last year) Very good surgeon and that was with Medi-Cal (California medical assistance) He did a great job, I recovered quickly and doing fine. I was very worried after reading about issues with "mesh" but the surgeon had done many of these and highly recommended. I'm sorry things did not go well.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
A little taken aback this morning. Went to feed my cat, Maow. Entered into the area of barn I feed him & my racoon, Chuck, in.

Looked down on the ground and noticed a chicken leg, talons and all. On one hand yes maybe the neighbor should feel safe to let his flock roam. On the other I could understand either the cat or racoon nabbing a chicken.

I feed these two carnivorous critters in the barn. The chickens in their roaming crash their way in to eat the yummy wheat/corn powdered pellet mix I feed. Can assuredly see the frustration either cat or racoon would have.

"We don't eat chickens only this feed, trash. Then, chicken come and take our feed. Damn it. We eat chicken now!" I can almost hear them thinking. Damn sure not going to pen either up nor get rid of either.

Still I recall how our dogs caused issues. Not sure what to do. Reckon I'll talk to my wife.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I doubt it was the cat who took out the chicken and only finding a foot I don't think it was killed there. You would have a ton of feathers.
< Humor & Sillyness >
There were some feathers but not a ton. That could be explained by the chickens themselves coming in and out to raid the feed pan.

Don't worry my wife is helping me keep the CS unit on task. She suggested I swab each of them for foreign DNA trace evidence. Maow is being grilled with the bright lights until his squinity eyes dry out. When asked he confessed but we think he's covering.

Of course it may have been the fox from up on the hill, too. Possibly even may have been just an accident. A chicken have gotten caught in all the stuff up in the barn. That happens.

We'll know more once a tox report comes back.
< /Humor & Sillyness >

< Conversation With Wife >
Me: So prolly best to just do nothing?

Wife: Yep.

Wife: It's the nature of things though. If you're going to let your livestock free range in the country, you better accept you're going to suffer some losses.

Me: I agree but you know a-holes.

Wife: But W---- doesn't strike me as being an asshole.

Me: No he doesn't and I figure he understands what we do.

</Conversation With Wife >

Last edited:

MarkS

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
A little taken aback this morning. Went to feed my cat, Maow. Entered into the area of barn I feed him & my racoon, Chuck, in.

Looked down on the ground and noticed a chicken leg, talons and all. On one hand yes maybe the neighbor should feel safe to let his flock roam. On the other I could understand either the cat or racoon nabbing a chicken.

I feed these two carnivorous critters in the barn. The chickens in their roaming crash their way in to eat the yummy wheat/corn powdered pellet mix I feed. Can assuredly see the frustration either cat or racoon would have.

"We don't eat chickens only this feed, trash. Then, chicken come and take our feed. Damn it. We eat chicken now!" I can almost hear them thinking. Damn sure not going to pen either up nor get rid of either.

Still I recall how our dogs caused issues. Not sure what to do. Reckon I'll talk to my wife.

If it’s your neighbor’s chicken, they are free roaming, and come to your property then too bad for your neighbor’s loss. Had a similar situation with a neighbor’s chicken and my dog killed it after it came onto my property. I returned the remains to the neighbor, told him I was sorry about his loss, and suggested he may want to think about doing something to keep his chickens on his property to prevent future losses. (He and I got along good and he had no hard feelings because it was the chicken’s fault.)

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
If it’s your neighbor’s chicken, they are free roaming, and come to your property then too bad for your neighbor’s loss. Had a similar situation with a neighbor’s chicken and my dog killed it after it came onto my property. I returned the remains to the neighbor, told him I was sorry about his loss, and suggested he may want to think about doing something to keep his chickens on his property to prevent future losses. (He and I got along good and he had no hard feelings because it was the chicken’s fault.)

Had similar issue here with three Great Pyrenees & Golden Lab mix dogs. We had them, they were born outside the house door. We live rural, in the county. There are no statutes, ordinances, laws that required us to either pen or tie out the dogs.

The county animal control officer even told us that herself. she had been called in by the county sheriff on behalf a newly moved in neighbor. This neighbor also let chickens roam free.

Our dogs roamed a bit but any time we stepped out, our dogs were near us. They slept where they had been born most nights. They would wander up to a sheep farm sometimes.

The sheep farm owner had no problems with our dogs, in fact wanted them coming up at night to help mitigate coyote. When our dogs brought me dead chickens, I tried taking the chicken carcass over to the new neighbor. Even offered to pay damages if asked and reasonable.

Each time I was brought a dead bird it never appeared that it was dead due to the dog. The dog had picked it and brought it to me as a gift, or "hey, what's going on". Each time I tried mending fence with this neighbor i got told all was fine, just go on.

So I stopped bothering fence mending. They kept letting chickens roam. We're all "out in the country" not only dogs go after chickens.

I did set up a building and fenced in area for the dogs. I tried keeping them "contained". These are big dogs though. They'll jump a 5/6 ft fence no problem. They'll dig under too.

They were also farm bred dogs. I didn't see why if they didn't bother sheep they would bother chickens. I got frustrated trying to contain them.

Suddenly we get two dogs taken away by animal control. Then just as sudden a hearing where it was "determined" I was abusing my dogs by way of "neglect". Anyone in the area by far knew damn sight better than suggest I "neglect" my dogs. It was obvious that was bull.

Wound up paying animal control X amount for feed and boarding, ordered to get rid of dogs. We took them to a no kill shelter to get adopted out. One went to Canada to be a hunting hound. :)

But yeah, ... um got a sour taste of a-holes.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
So I get up this morning and find that Mom must have clogged the toilet during the night. So grab my Beehive Plunger and clear the clog. Had some water in the basement and I notice it is dripping by the pipe thru the floor. When I cleared the clog I blew out the wax seal~! Son Of A Bitch~! So pulled the bowl found what I thought and just waiting for the store to open. Have my Plaster of Paris ready to go~! And this all before I had my first cup of coffee~!

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
*sits on the corner of his bed, vapes a bit while reading* Hm. *shrugs, vapes some more & ponders today's "plans", ...* Not much planned, might go eat somewhere.

Asked my general practitioner about medical cannabis via my online patient chart. Feel like it'll be the same as a drunk drinking to forget. You drink to forget but when you sober back up that you want to forget is still there. So ultimately drinking to forget doesn't work.

Still, I need to do something which can facilitate relaxation, a sense of well being. Each day I struggle with cortisol and a mind that tries to either kill me, or make life miserable. Yes, I've had plenty tell me "find a higher power/Jesus". Not sorry. That's not my path, thanks. If yours, please enjoy without any judgement.

Will see how that goes. Probably take six months to get any kind of response. Seems last time I had put anything in on that system it took six months, or more for it to even be seen. Hurray for modern instantaneous communications technology, huh? Good thing kidneys are not considered vital & the cat scan folks could tell my (years before removed) appendix was just fine. *smh coughs* Fucking quacks. *coughs*

And yes, "finding Jesus" was a suggestion from this general practitioner to help with depression, anxiety, stress, monotony, physical pain & discomfort. He has since apologized as well as realized I'm a masochist with high pain tolerance, so if I say my pain is 4 he can figure 10 others cry its 10. Sure, tell me to find Jesus again. Do your job, be the doctor you took 8-12 years of college hopefully studying to be.

Nah, rather just take kick backs from pill reps who give them shit that don't work but to tear folks up worse to get 'em needing more pills to do more of the same. *sighs a guttural throat clearing growl* Sorry. Need to let my blood cool. See why thinking physically hurts me? Can't help but to think, you live so you breathe and some of us actually think like we breathe. It's just there and it doesn't "shut off" during sleep either.

Any fookin' way, ... *sighs, goes back to vaping*

MarkS

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Well, I personally found reading the Bible helpful when I was dealing with severe depression. (I still find it helpful without dealing with depression) I do not presume nor prescribe what anyone should do but I can share what has worked for me if it’s a situation I’ve experienced. It’s up to the individuals on what they think about what worked for me. Every person is unique so what may have helped me may not help them. Everyone has their own roads to travel in this life and decisions that they have to make. What’s right for them may not be right for me and what’s right for me may not be right for them.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Well, I personally found reading the Bible helpful when I was dealing with severe depression. (I still find it helpful without dealing with depression) I do not presume nor prescribe what anyone should do but I can share what has worked for me if it’s a situation I’ve experienced. It’s up to the individuals on what they think about what worked for me. Every person is unique so what may have helped me may not help them. Everyone has their own roads to travel in this life and decisions that they have to make. What’s right for them may not be right for me and what’s right for me may not be right for them.

That's fair and respectable too. Grew up learning all about Christianity, inclusive of lots of Bible reading. As I grew up though I was left free to find my way.

Baptism was never "pushed" on me or my brothers. Mom though did insist until we were 18 we followed her house rules, we learned about Christianity, attended church. After that she told us we had to find our own way.

If I thought the Bible held comfort for me, I would read it. Instead it keeps bringing up deep questions for me with no answers. Or worse case it provides answers that make no natural, or logical sense to me. There's no comfort in that for me. Would that it be that easy.

For me it is akin to watching a movie I gather the narrative of in the first minute. The movie still runs about two hours and yet you know it could be summarized in two minutes or less. Hard to sit through those two hours, worse yet realizing all the movies use the same basic narrative.

I was to have been a Mennonite brother. I went into military service. When the alter got brought out at a social, I got up and walked out of the front door just over the threshold. The priest hollered back to ensure I could still hear the sermon. I though could not be in the tavern when the alter was out. Upon close of service the alter was covered and set aside, two or three "brothers" stood "guard".

I had broken my covenant by going into military service. Mennonites let God fight, they obey God and don't fight. I had a friend I thought of as a brother set with our "aunt" and she had to tell him we'd explain it later. He didn't understand why I got up and walked out. I had to. It was not meant for me. I had "broken faith".

Superstition doesn't allow you back after you taste the fruit of knowledge.

Last edited:

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
What a morning~! Replacing the Wax Seal turned into 2 return trips for Plumbing supplies. First I fucked up and the Plaster set before I got to tighten the bowl down. So after I get the bowl reset in the plaster the pipe from the valve decided to start pissing water~! WTF? But when I thought about it better it happened then instead of during the night~! So bought a new pipe and switched over the nut and seal.

My sisters friend came to have lunch with my Mom and I made Shepherds Pie. It would have been my sisters 63rd Birthday. She had a nice time and so did my Mom. After all was said and done I hear water running in the bathroom~! WTF? Again? Rubber seal cracked so I did a Ruth Goldberg with Teflon Tape for now and will worry about it tomorrow.

Wine Time~!

gopher_byrd

Cranky Old Fart
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
I'll be heading to my MIL's funeral today. Then we head to the cemetary for the internment next to her husband of 60+ years. Since my SIL is still in the hospital the church will record the service so she can watch it on YouTube.

MarkS

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Good morning porch dwellers! Sorry I didn’t sign off last night and being late to say morning. Dental appointment yesterday really worked me over. They did half yesterday and the other half is scheduled to get done on the 22nd.

VU Sponsors