Become a Patron!

Vaping on the Front or back Porch

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
The hospital system here uses My Chart as well. Seems like I remember from some years ago that the first hospital system I saw that in was Duke University.

It's been really useful for me because I can see blood work lab results over time. Have trouble sometimes with high liver enzymes, so have to keep an eye on that, also vitamin D, B12, iron levels, and thyroid.

I get Test Results for Mom at the same time as the Doctors. I have to say it is a really useful tool. I don't have to worry about my shit because I don't get Tested~! LOL~!

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Going Digital wasn't HIPAA it was why HIPAA came about. Being in IT I have to go threw HIPAA Training and Certification for every Company I work for. PIMA but I see the reasoning and I make them pay me to do it~!

Figure you need to use a very broad in scope data non disclosure agreements. Probably covers medical, financial, personal, intellectual rights data.

Know that get LPIC-1 System Administrator you need to at least be cognizant about & wiling to accept/sign non disclosure agreements. Most Linux systems upon install come with a standard "Stan Lee" MOTD (Message Of The Day) upon entering a terminal and typing su.

The su command lets you access the administrative root user. If you know its password/key. A Linux box might be merely a "dummy" or a "server" linked to oh, thousands of other boxes. Some are even a bit of both, dummy & server.

The message reads, "We trust you've read and agreed to this fact. With great power comes greater responsibility."

Funny aside regarding the LPIC-1 & wife's bro in law. He took x number of years to be a system administrator in college. I asked him if he got LPIC-1 since he might deal with Linux boxes. He scoffed and said all he needed was CISCO router administration certification. Walked away shaking my head.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Figure you need to use a very broad in scope data non disclosure agreements. Probably covers medical, financial, personal, intellectual rights data.

Know that get LPIC-1 System Administrator you need to at least be cognizant about & wiling to accept/sign non disclosure agreements. Most Linux systems upon install come with a standard "Stan Lee" MOTD (Message Of The Day) upon entering a terminal and typing su.

The su command lets you access the administrative root user. If you know its password/key. A Linux box might be merely a "dummy" or a "server" linked to oh, thousands of other boxes. Some are even a bit of both, dummy & server.

The message reads, "We trust you've read and agreed to this fact. With great power comes greater responsibility."

HIPAA covers information written on actual paper also. Why do you think that sign in sheets have a covering over the last person to sign in when yo go to a Medical Office. That is strict HIPAA Compliance.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
HIPAA covers information written on actual paper also. Why do you think that sign in sheets have a covering over the last person to sign in when yo go to a Medical Office. That is strict HIPAA Compliance.

Yep, aware of that as well. Also aware some are now including that in with bio-metric access. "Please put your index finger on the pad, it'll authorize all the appropriate HIPPA stuff for us automatically."

You still usually get a copy of HIPPA on paper. "Here now, we've covered HIPPA with you agreed?" "Yep." "The basics, you can trust us to secure your data and we don't sell or rent it out."

On volunteer squad calls over radio, phone, any wired or open transmission patient was that only, maybe male or female but only a patient. We might use the word child to indicate that, and if so child, not patient was used all through. You don't victimize.

Last edited:

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Yep, aware of that as well. Also aware some are now including that in with bio-metric access. "Please put your index finger on the pad, it'll authorize all the appropriate HIPPA stuff for us automatically."

You still usually get a copy of HIPPA on paper. "Here now, we've covered HIPPA with you agreed?" "Yep." "The basics, you can trust us to secure your data and we don't sell or rent it out."

Today we had to Electronically Sign the HIPAA Agreement and other Docs because they are going Paperless. If I find out that any Info was disseminated where I did not agree to that is a Law Suit~! You really don't know what you are agreeing to when the Document is not Displayed on the Signature Pad.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
You really don't know what you are agreeing to when the Document is not Displayed on the Signature Pad.

Attorney for the hospital, "Looks to be you agreed to an order from McDonald's for the ER staff, secretaries on that date. There's no agreement for them to keep your data private."

*chuckling* Although it could be just as bad with paper.

The Marx Brothers were well ahead of their times. They used neural linguistics to create levity by culture jamming that only started to be understood in the 1990's onward. It's still classic, timeless humor at its best imho.

Not making light of need for data security. Making light of life's absurdities in general. We can be so serious but we need to laugh too.

Last edited:

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Attorney for the hospital, "Looks to be you agreed to an order from McDonald's for the ER staff, secretaries on that date. There's no agreement for them to keep your data private."

*chuckling* Although it could be just as bad with paper.

The Marx Brothers were well ahead of their times. They used neural linguistics to create levity by culture jamming that only started to be understood in the 1990's onward. It's still classic, timeless humor at its best imho.

Not making light of need for data security. Making light of life's absurdities in general. We can be so serious but we need to laugh too.

Well a woman telling you are signing Sheet #1 does mean shit to me since I do not see what I am signing. So that alone is Proof of deception which I can argue in Court and probably win! They aren't paying me to inform them that what they are doing is a break of confidentiality. Let it bite them in the ass~!

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Well a woman telling you are signing Sheet #1 does mean shit to me since I do not see what I am signing. So that alone is Proof of deception which I can argue in Court and probably win! They aren't paying me to inform them that what they are doing is a break of confidentiality. Let it bite them in the ass~!
*listening to some CCR before hitting the rack*

No, I agree. Partly an aside though, recall her granddad being called the mayor around here. Me & him get ready to go out and do anything without fail six would pull up wondering what we was afixin to get into. He would need to stand around chawing the work to death as he called it.

"Well piss, Barn. Say we get a coffee and sandwich," he said as the last one left.

I would agree but add, "Daylight not being supplied."

After our impromptu lunch we'd go to start out again. Sure enough, ... and so it was up to me. As they pulled up along side us I would bellow out, "Well shit, Sarge. I would like 'em to let me kill you in peace just once!"

We used to get a kick out of watching folks drive away quick. :D :)

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
319603-Good-Morning-Winter-Coffee.gif

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Today I had day shift, covering breakfast and lunch for Ripley Middle school. There was no routine. There was a task list that read do all of this. Then, a dumped list with no guidelines as far as time.

The principle at the school said, "Do what you can. Anything you can do suits, even if it's only half done." There was no time for breaks, or a proper lunch half hour. It all needed done with urgency but there was no time for it.

I had gotten a dust mop from a hall storage closet on side A of the school. It was not from anywhere on side B. Well, it didn't matter when the lady for second shift came in. I had used her dust mop for the cafeteria and oh it was so terrible.

I explained two things. 1. It was not her broom because I got it from the opposite side of the school where hers was at. 2. It was my first time there for morning/day shift and I hadn't got time to see where other brooms were set out already.

That still didn't matter to her. "You used my broom."

"I didn't know, figured it wasn't yours because it was up here, not down on your side."

"Oh you should have known."

I thought to myself, "Yep, I ought to have known some Karen dumb fuck prick was going to be fucking jerk over someone actually doing the work." I let it roll off though and just shut up.

Told my wife over instant messages, I was no longer working any Ripley work. I always got a bad vibe working it but never at any of the other schools. In fact the other schools are the exact opposite. People are nice, people are actual professionals. People expect you to desire getting nearly to all of your work done.

People help you by making things easier, or outright cleaning up after themselves. No one owns any of the equipment, it's public trust. See a broom handy, use it. No one gets bent out of shape.

You get routine lists. At 6 to 6:30 AM you do these couple of things. From 6:45 to 7 AM you do these next couple and this leads on to completing all the workload. If you don't get it all because say you had a bit of a messy area and needed to ensure it was clean, no one gets out of shape. At the same time though they feel your disappointment.

You get told, "Hey, I'm second shift. You got most of yours. I got mine and whatever you missed isn't much more, I got it. You go home, it'll be here again tomorrow." You're appreciated, valued, made to feel useful and having purpose.

They also accept, "Hey, I got a routine I use. It might not be this exact one but I'll keep up to your schedule." You get told, "Alright, as long as you think you can get it all done. Remember our 'as needed' policy too. If you see something that obviously doesn't need done, move to the next thing." And it goes very easily. You also get your breaks & lunch or can combine the time for an hour long lunch. If you go to lunch or break, you take it, if something comes up they'll handle it.

In Ripley, no. They don't care about the work at all. They expect you to do it all, at once. You're of no value. You just showed up and that was good enough. Yet at the same you damn sure better be "on it" and do it all well, else you get crawled. So, yep, no more Ripley work for me. And it's my closest area to work. Oh well, sorry but I'll go to Evans, Cottageville, Ravenswood, Fairplain over Ripley.

The teaching is even different at the other schools. The teachers, principles, staff do try instilling discipline, respect, courtesy. For example, a kid spilled their tray at lunch. Instead of me cleaning it up a teacher pointed the kid to the broom and dust scoop. "Your mess, you clean it. Our custodian has other things to do right now. Show some respect." And the kid did, there was no backtalk, no dumb stares.

*smh* Two weeks of nice work, one day of crap.

Last edited:

MarkS

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Today I had day shift, covering breakfast and lunch for Ripley Middle school. There was no routine. There was a task list that read do all of this. Then, a dumped list with no guidelines as far as time.

The principle at the school said, "Do what you can. Anything you can do suits, even if it's only half done." There was no time for breaks, or a proper lunch half hour. It all needed done with urgency but there was no time for it.

I had gotten a dust mop from a hall storage closet on side A of the school. It was not from anywhere on side B. Well, it didn't matter when the lady for second shift came in. I had used her dust mop for the cafeteria and oh it was so terrible.

I explained two things. 1. It was not her broom because I got it from the opposite side of the school where hers was at. 2. It was my first time there for morning/day shift and I hadn't got time to see where other brooms were set out already.

That still didn't matter to her. "You used my broom."

"I didn't know, figured it wasn't yours because it was up here, not down on your side."

"Oh you should have known."

I thought to myself, "Yep, I ought to have known some Karen dumb fuck prick was going to be fucking jerk over someone actually doing the work." I let it roll off though and just shut up.

Told my wife over instant messages, I was no longer working any Ripley work. I always got a bad vibe working it but never at any of the other schools. In fact the other schools are the exact opposite. People are nice, people are actual professionals. People expect you to desire getting nearly to all of your work done.

People help you by making things easier, or outright cleaning up after themselves. No one owns any of the equipment, it's public trust. See a broom handy, use it. No one gets bent out of shape.

You get routine lists. At 6 to 6:30 AM you do these couple of things. From 6:45 to 7 AM you do these next couple and this leads on to completing all the workload. If you don't get it all because say you had a bit of a messy area and needed to ensure it was clean, no one gets out of shape. At the same time though they feel your disappointment.

You get told, "Hey, I'm second shift. You got most of yours. I got mine and whatever you missed isn't much more, I got it. You go home, it'll be here again tomorrow." You're appreciated, valued, made to feel useful and having purpose.

They also accept, "Hey, I got a routine I use. It might not be this exact one but I'll keep up to your schedule." You get told, "Alright, as long as you think you can get it all done. Remember our 'as needed' policy too. If you see something that obviously doesn't need done, move to the next thing." And it goes very easily. You also get your breaks & lunch or can combine the time for an hour long lunch. If you go to lunch or break, you take it, if something comes up they'll handle it.

In Ripley, no. They don't care about the work at all. They expect you to do it all, at once. You're of no value. You just showed up and that was good enough. Yet at the same you damn sure better be "on it" and do it all well, else you get crawled. So, yep, no more Ripley work for me. And it's my closest area to work. Oh well, sorry but I'll go to Evans, Cottageville, Ravenswood, Fairplain over Ripley.

The teaching is even different at the other schools. The teachers, principles, staff do try instilling discipline, respect, courtesy. For example, a kid spilled their tray at lunch. Instead of me cleaning it up a teacher pointed the kid to the broom and dust scoop. "Your mess, you clean it. Our custodian has other things to do right now. Show some respect." And the kid did, there was no backtalk, no dumb stares.

*smh* Two weeks of nice work, one day of crap.

So much in that post. A like for some of it and sadness for some of it.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
So much in that post. A like for some of it and sadness for some of it.

And yes, I understand the argument could be made, as the custodian it's your job to manage the tasks & time. Yes that is valid.

It's as equally valid as a service professional you would hope the client, principals, school staff would have expectations. That's where the principal creating a timed listing of a routine comes to play.

They know how their school runs, you may not. And yes you can know the general work, do okay. Better work is done having the details.

Quick example is doing bathroom cleaning & stocking. Say for example in hall A, the teachers let students out at five minutes after the hour for bathroom use of ten minutes. At five after nine to fifteen after nine AM then, you don't want to go try doing bathrooms on hall A.

On hall B they run bathroom breaks from ten minutes after to twenty minutes after. So you could take hall B first, hall A second and feasibly not get caught in a crush of students. Such details let you better manage your time and work, to prioritize.

And then at nine thirty you go get the breakfast trash from the cafeteria, then hall C. At nine forty you get the other remaining hall's breakfast trash. So by ten o' clock you can set up for lunches. At ten you then can go sweep the halls, dust lockers, check safety gear, check security. Ten thirty lets you go take a half hour lunch.

Again details the principals should know and be able to convey. You as the worker can then also look over the schedule, set up your own task based combinations and say shave up to an hour off the scheduled work simply because you can juggle two or more tasks in allotted times.

An example might be me going down through and dusting lockers while en route to check bathrooms. I could check safety gear visually, and in detail if needed while coming back to the cafeteria area, while also bringing that hall's trash down as well.

That lets you get "ahead", time for a bit of soma as me & @SteveS45 discuss. The principals do not care either that you go sit down a bit. You've been doing the work, gotten caught up and ahead. They usually got nothing aside from needing you to be "available".

"Right boss, you know where I'll be. Sitting the custodian area, yep. Call on radio, have teacher come say something, I'm up and doing what's needed." And this is how things work out as wins for everyone. The work is done and a the worker feels good of their work, the people worked with, the environment of the work.

Happy workers make happy companies, make better product. In this case it's public schools. The schools stay cleaner, more fluidly organized, better situated to respond to any disruption/s, more capable of students given a stable education. As a plus students see people being courteous, communicating and striving for common goals, achieving. In short, there's harmony, balance.

I don't think I'm merely "talking out my ass" so to speak. Have lived and experienced a lot in life, have read up on a lot, learned from more experienced folks. Think it fair to say I got a good working knowledge of how to work and do so well. Don't think I' have cognitive bias in that, if so it's minimal as I try to always recall Strunk & White. "Author, remove yourself from the narrative."

Last edited:

MarkS

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
And yes, I understand the argument could be made, as the custodian it's your job to manage the tasks & time. Yes that is valid.

It's as equally valid as a service professional you would hope the client, principals, school staff would have expectations. That's where the principal creating a timed listing of a routine comes to play.

They know how their school runs, you may not. And yes you can know the general work, do okay. Better work is done having the details.

Quick example is doing bathroom cleaning & stocking. Say for example in hall A, the teachers let students out at five minutes after the hour for bathroom use of ten minutes. At five after nine to fifteen after nine AM then, you don't want to go try doing bathrooms on hall A.

On hall B they run bathroom breaks from ten minutes after to twenty minutes after. So you could take hall B first, hall A second and feasibly not get caught in a crush of students. Such details let you better manage your time and work, to prioritize.

And then at nine thirty you go get the breakfast trash from the cafeteria, then hall C. At nine forty you get the other remaining hall's breakfast trash. So by ten o' clock you can set up for lunches. At ten you then can go sweep the halls, dust lockers, check safety gear, check security. Ten thirty lets you go take a half hour lunch.

Again details the principals should know and be able to convey. You as the worker can then also look over the schedule, set up your own task based combinations and say shave up to an hour off the scheduled work simply because you can juggle two or more tasks in allotted times.

An example might be me going down through and dusting lockers while en route to check bathrooms. I could check safety gear visually, and in detail if needed while coming back to the cafeteria area, while also bringing that hall's trash down as well.

That lets you get "ahead", time for a bit of soma as me & @SteveS45 discuss. The principals do not care either that you go sit down a bit. You've been doing the work, gotten caught up and ahead. They usually got nothing aside from needing you to be "available".

"Right boss, you know where I'll be. Sitting the custodian area, yep. Call on radio, have teacher come say something, I'm up and doing what's needed." And this is how things work out as wins for everyone. The work is done and a the worker feels good of their work, the people worked with, the environment of the work.

Happy workers make happy companies, make better product. In this case it's public schools. The schools stay cleaner, more fluidly organized, better situated to respond to any disruption/s, more capable of students given a stable education. As a plus students see people being courteous, communicating and striving for common goals, achieving. In short, there's harmony, balance.

I don't think I'm merely "talking out my ass" so to speak. Have lived and experienced a lot in life, have read up on a lot, learned from more experienced folks. Think it fair to say I got a good working knowledge of how to work and do so well. Don't think I' have cognitive bias in that, if so it's minimal as I try to always recall Strunk & White. "Author, remove yourself from the narrative."

I agree totally with your perspective. I’m sad about Ripley (the staff and students there). Such a toxic environment. When my kids were young and if I found out their school was like that I would be making sure they went to a different school. After getting my kid out of that situation I would also be giving the School Board a lengthy letter documenting the issues.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I agree totally with your perspective. I’m sad about Ripley (the staff and students there). Such a toxic environment. When my kids were young and if I found out their school was like that I would be making sure they went to a different school. After getting my kid out of that situation I would also be giving the School Board a lengthy letter documenting the issues.

Believe I would do the same if I had human kids in a school like that. We have at times "boarded" our critter kids. There was one place that once we noticed the sentiment of it, we never let board them again. It's one thing to not be perfect, to make mistakes. Another still to willfully and knowingly continue on such a path.

Like I've discussed with the wife, at the Ripley schools it seems "dog eat dog" always. At the other schools "we're all hanging in together" and it's not merely a platitude, you feel they sincerely mean it and prove it how they act. Complete night & day. *smh*

Don't get me wrong, not saying I don't appreciate a high degree of autonomy in my work. I indeed do, a great bit. :) Still you want to know there are "planners" actually planning and they're like the All State folks "Hey guys, you're in good hands".

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I was back on the road in MN this week. It was colder than a witch's tit wearing a brass bra. Heading back again next week, but it will actually get above freezing and no snow predicted.

Bet MN gets even more bitter than IL during the Winter. Recall in Feb. of 1996 at Great Lakes it got to -60F with windchill. It was even colder out in the lake about 100 ft down. Boy oh boy did we just love that too.

"Problem, Ricky?"

"Cold chief."

"Take it in, drink it down."

"Sir."

Yep, yep, oh yep. It for sure is Never Again Volunteer Yourself.

*hears a muster being called, steps to the line* "Damn it, no!" "Too Late!"

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years

Went to a family run Mexican restaurant today. Had a rum & coke with my big meal of the day, shrimp fejita. Been going there pretty regular over the last six months or so. Each time they bump up the rum content in the drink just a smidgen.

Can tell the "tender" is gauging. They're "getting to know" a drinking customer's limit. Today after about three sips, started feeling my nice warm and fuzzy. I nodded at the "tender".

I don't have a drink with my meal to "drink", rather just as a nice way to cut the edge & enjoy an excellent meal. Warm and fuzzy does it for me. Not quite tipsy at that point. Merely aware of the drink's "cheer".

Did that wash away the crap yesterday? No not fully but can set it out as garbage & move on. Sitting here now with a Frostie brand Root Beer. :)

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
This morning, it was so nice outside, almost a little too warm, missed checking in this morning.
By noon it was 83° o_O
Thankfully, it didn't warm up more. Great day to be out on the front Porch !

! WAKE UP ! from the MEDIA SPELL !

I was actually sitting on the back Patio enjoying the Mid 50's temps here~! Had to sit in the sun and wear a jacket because the cool breeze.

VU Sponsors