Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
6669046_7ae9d.gif

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I went into the backyard yesterday and saw the guy in the schoolyard trimmed the mushes on the fence which you can now see thru~! Bummer but I can't complain since it is on there side and so they can clean the leaves. But I took the opportunity to top those bushes with the Electric Chain Saw. Last thing I need to be doing in the late afternoon but it is done.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I went into the backyard yesterday and saw the guy in the schoolyard trimmed the mushes on the fence which you can now see thru~! Bummer but I can't complain since it is on there side and so they can clean the leaves.

Principal likely fussed out of standard security protocol. That often calls for keeping open visibility. No offense toward you, or anyone. It would simply be protocol in regards to "keeping kids safe".

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Principal likely fussed out of standard security protocol. That often calls for keeping open visibility. No offense toward you, or anyone. It would simply be protocol in regards to "keeping kids safe".

No they did it so they could clean the leaves because I complained that the young groundskeeper was cutting the lawn and blowing them thru and up against the fence. Was getting bugs and rodents in them also which is a security concern for the kids also.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Wife introduced me to a silly thing on my smart phone called do not disturb mode. Turns out well, maybe my nephews got hold of my phone and set up scheduled do not disturb times on it. I don't know, I'm just a dumb idiot custodian, no clue about smart phones. *wink, wink, nod, nod*

In the booklet we get as substitute custodians it says the call out system stops calling out at 3 PM for the current day's work. Last night 10 after 5 PM I was called out. Yes, need the pay. Wife and me had a few hours of together time planned last night though.

She works daylight shift only. I work whenever. As a result we're not seeing one another for simply time for ourselves much beyond weekends. Yes, we're aiming at a bigger goal. We're still human and still would like our self respect.

So, she grabbed my phone last night after we finally got home around 10:30 - 45 PM. She got home with us some Chinese. I did wolf down some won ton soup before going in to work. It was only a four hour shift. She come back home after 7:30 PM, waited until about 10:15 to pick me up.

She setup up a do not disturb schedule for me. I'm also at the point that I'm going to do the quiet quit at work. Why should I do extremely well if there's no benefit to me career wise? I get no promotions, and raises require an act our state congress. Currently just a substitute too, been told that be five years, maybe longer.

I'll just do the minimum required. The work will still get done. I'm just not bothered taking pride in it, doing extra. No one cares either way. Why should I?

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
Wife introduced me to a silly thing on my smart phone called do not disturb mode. Turns out well, maybe my nephews got hold of my phone and set up scheduled do not disturb times on it. I don't know, I'm just a dumb idiot custodian, no clue about smart phones. *wink, wink, nod, nod*

In the booklet we get as substitute custodians it says the call out system stops calling out at 3 PM for the current day's work. Last night 10 after 5 PM I was called out. Yes, need the pay. Wife and me had a few hours of together time planned last night though.

She works daylight shift only. I work whenever. As a result we're not seeing one another for simply time for ourselves much beyond weekends. Yes, we're aiming at a bigger goal. We're still human and still would like our self respect.

So, she grabbed my phone last night after we finally got home around 10:30 - 45 PM. She got home with us some Chinese. I did wolf down some won ton soup before going in to work. It was only a four hour shift. She come back home after 7:30 PM, waited until about 10:15 to pick me up.

She setup up a do not disturb schedule for me. I'm also at the point that I'm going to do the quiet quit at work. Why should I do extremely well if there's no benefit to me career wise? I get no promotions, and raises require an act our state congress. Currently just a substitute too, been told that be five years, maybe longer.

I'll just do the minimum required. The work will still get done. I'm just not bothered taking pride in it, doing extra. No one cares either way. Why should I?

The simple answer? Because it matters to you, that's why. It's good for a person's self-esteem to do a good job.

It takes SO little to do a better job than the average person who really doesn't give a crap one way or the other. Push yourself just a breath beyond that, and you become exceptional. You know that as well as I do.

There is room for gaining happiness from our work, no matter what kind of work we do. And we must do what we can to not have to struggle and fight in all areas of our lives - something has to be the source of good feelings and hope for the future. So don't sell yourself short. You are the one who will miss out on feeling good about the job you do.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
It takes SO little to do a better job than the average person who really doesn't give a crap one way or the other. Push yourself just a breath beyond that, and you become exceptional. You know that as well as I do.

I do and understand your points. My point is the job has become a contention of a fight itself. The happy I get from it is the kids to a point. Beyond that the bull sh-- with the work itself tries depleting that small joy.

This is my way to stand for myself as much as doing a good job, doing extra is that. Being honest the work itself is kind of cruise control. I can really just show up, do the minimum and still be doing good.

That speaks more toward how everyone else is/isn't doing at the work I'd think. I'm just refusing to let it "get to me" any more. The so called "bosses" don't like it, tough. They accept it from everyone else, why do I have to stand out in the field? My own pride? Yeah, too humble to be proud especially when you see no one cares.

And yes, I do understand what you're saying. "Son, you know better and can do better." "Yes mom. Better though isn't needed or wanted. I'm starting to see that with this work. Simply because I can be the better person doesn't always mean I have to be. Sometimes it might be saner to simply be a $0.28 bolt than a $0.59 one."

At least unlike Russian warships I'm not installing a screen door below keel line starboard aft and one below port keel line. *shrugs* Poor Russian flagships sinking anyway. Who would have thunk it they could sunk it. :D

Last edited:

gopher_byrd

Cranky Old Fart
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
My usual week in MN for work, complete with snow in freaking middle of April. Oh well, such is life I guess. Heading back again next week.

Then finally a week home. I'm going to see an orthopedic surgeon about getting a hip replacement . I've been dealing with arthritis for 2 years now and walking is getting to be a chore. I have a friend go through the replacement and he says it's the best he's been feeling for a while.

Now to head outside and vape while the dog takes care of business...

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Spent hours replacing a Security Camera outside the house this afternoon. Wouldn't have taken as long if I didn't care about damaging the wires Sealed with Silicone but I wanted to save the Camera. Then adjusting it to scan the area how I want it took a long time, Not a straight view from the camera so a bit of fiddling to get it to see what I wanted.

MarkS

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I’ve been busting my butt today. Trash/recycling run this morning followed by bringing the camper home to work on it (full exterior cleaning and waxing all vertical surfaces) for six hours. I didn’t get to treat the roof and awning so that remains to be done on another day. There are a few more small things to do which can be done on our first weekend camping in two weeks. I only fell off the ladder once landing flat on my back, fortunately on the grass. Knocked the wind out of me and I was dizzy for a while, probably a mild concussion. Took camper back to storage and now waiting on wife to get home to figure out dinner.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
You have to be careful when you get our age. Falling off a ladder can be terminal like my friends Dad. I turned down a beer because I had to climb a ladder this afternoon. Good thing because it took way longer than I thought and then when I came inside to look at teh cameras on the PC I went back out to readjust it again~!

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I only fell off the ladder once landing flat on my back, fortunately on the grass. Knocked the wind out of me and I was dizzy for a while, probably a mild concussion. Took camper back to storage and now waiting on wife to get home to figure out

Goober. There are some times we need to stay down. *chuckles* Yep, know I'm a good one to talk. Hope you get your noggin feeling right.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
It’s not swimming anymore but I’ve got a good headache going.

Reckon it's safe to sleep. May wake and have slept it off. Know a lot of the conventional medical wisdom is to stay awake, observation. If you been careful though and listening to your body, I'd say sleeping is probably alright. Me concussed? Bah, no, never. *chuckles*

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Good morning and happy Easter! A bit sore this morning. I wonder why? LOL

*dons his curmudgeon watch cap* Bah! Sore? Chan eil mi airson a chluinntinn. Weather up this way be calling that lovely fellow Author and his Itis to bother me. *smh* Fat lot o' nothing I did to him to get treated like this too. Bah!

Recalling all those times his elders would say, "take it easy son, one of these days all these foolish and wild things you do will haunt you." *sighs* Remembers just going on and being wild and crazy, often saying something akin to, "go hide and watch after my smoke clears."

Wife and me were looking at Destination Unknown last night. There was an episode where the host, Josh, took his first tandem skydiving jump. He swore he'd put off "jumping out of a perfectly good plane" all his adult life. *chuckles* Shoot, I went out of one first time as a teen.

LOL It was funny seeing this guy take his first jump, landing then realizing ... "Ah, I want to do it again! C'mon let's go!"

Yes, I did just a bit of skydiving. Not much and I don't really talk a lot of it. I enjoyed it to a degree but looking back, I probably could have done better off not doing any of it. Won't ever again, highly unlikely.

VapeOn1960

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
That coffee thing reminded me of the time we were travelling to he coast (California) and we always stop by Casa De Fruita. I bought some chocolate covered expresso beans and a cup of hot coffee. Ate 18 of the beans and drank the coffee (was a very alert driver) After all day at the coast, and a long drive home, I was still bouncing off the walls at 2 am!

VU Sponsors