Become a Patron!

Vaping on the Front or back Porch

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Mother in law went to Teay's Valley Hospital/Medical facility last night.

Unfortunately my "good news" kidney wise was not good news for hers.

She was listed as having stage four kidney failure, severely dehydrated, highly elevated potassium level, testing positive for Covid.

Held my wife what seemed hours as she wept.

So you can imagine our yesterday. Her mom needed labs. From there it was suggested she come back to hospital for dehydration. They possibly may even send her on to Charleston as her heart and kidney doctors were there, "just in case".

I ought to have known when her mom took my hand to help walk to our Jeep. It didn't register.
Truly sorry to hear this my friend, sending healing thoughts and prayers

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
good-morning-thursday.gif

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
*returns your empty mug to the sink after rinsing it out, gets a fres and filled mug off the table, takes no cream or sugar ... has recently started liking plain black, unless bitterness requires 1/2 teaspoon of salt*

Agreed! The only time I take cream and sugar is if I have to drink a cup of fast-food coffee. McDonalds, omg, that is the worst. Takes double cream and about four Splendas to make it drinkable.

Good coffee from home needs nothing extra.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Agreed! The only time I take cream and sugar is if I have to drink a cup of fast-food coffee. McDonalds, omg, that is the worst. Takes double cream and about four Splendas to make it drinkable.

The only time I drink black is Espresso. Sugar in the Raw and Half and Half regularly.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years

McDonald's ... coffee in the same sentence? That's a big no for me. Around here there is exactly one place everyone, well near everyone, thinks has actual coffee. That place is a "greasy spoon" across from the courthouse. It's called ever so simply, the "down town-er". Every other place serves colored water what might have dredged the dishes.

The bother with the down town-er is the guy who owns, runs it. He's a bit of a loud mouth regarding politics & other controversial blather. No one goes in to talk all that codswallop. You got guys who come in what are/been "bushy babies", roughnecks, timber guys, farmers, trackers, truckers, hunters, a bit of influx from the criminal element, cops, ems, and average John P. Q. None of which see one iota o' sense in that stuff.

Folks keep going in though as it is our local "hole in the wall" place. Everyone gets along in there, too. Place has a "sacred ground" aura to it, no fussing, fracas, fighting. The owner can "blow" but no one else ever gets over a dull low moaning growl. Food is fairly good, edible, coffee is excellent and the rest of the staff serve us well.

I've just recently given up on making my coffee "all dolled up". Started to see sense to keeping it simple like my vaping. Don't drink much soda any more, so even less sugar from coffee helps too. Yes, I still eat sweets. *sighs* Not as much so. Last weigh in I was about a flat 300 lbs (21.43 stone), which is indeed down, had gotten to roughly 320 for a bit. Be happy to see 250 lbs if I can.

Ah well, anywho, ... y'all run 'er slow.

Ah, sorry just one more thing. Spoke to my "big" boss last evening. We spoke rationally, calmly, professionally. I asked him if there was benefit or incentive for continuing education to develop custodian service.

I know the county pays a bit if you get college degrees, certificates for other not related education. Say for example you get a accounting degree, they add a few bucks extra to your hourly.

As we spoke he told me of his daughter who drives bus. She has a degree in nuclear medicine. She started driving bus for like 35 to 36k per year, her degree lets her earn maybe 37k. His point was the extra you earn isn't really worth the extra it takes to get it.

So I asked if he thought going the route of trades would be worth it. He explained a construction contractor doing a building for the schools was having trouble getting workers. The company is offering double rate pay, cannot keep a steady crew on. No one wants to work it.

Told him I knew some of the trades pulled 50-100k a year. He nodded and told me to imagine double. Shook my head. "Ben, this isn't offering you much of anything. Trades obviously right now put money on the table. I cannot tell you what to do, just say that if you bailed on us, it's understood."

Been mauling this over for a good while now. Have seen the hovel here has shifted. Fear if they frack again anywhere near, the place comes in on us. It's 40-50 years old itself, slopped together rough basement. Wife deserves better by far, we both do.

That noted, not sure I can "go" like that ... what construction & trades would require any longer. Turned 50 myself recently. Got minor ailments here and there what culminate to just me feeling over all unfit. Yes, I could eat better, exercise better/more but at the same time moving hurts. I get going too quick, bend over, well I get dumb dumb headaches.

Have already also thought I might have had a heart attack. No, not going to go see. Figure I would for sure then. So, ultimately my point is I know I've worked hard as hell for roughly 45 years. Yes, I reckon I can ride a gravy grain for 15 more. I just think that's better than trying to do the other, killing myself.

It's just frustrating, capped at about 30k for my job, if I could even do that. There's no pay scale for "better" workers at it. You just "show up, do the required, go home". You only need to do your best, they don't expect or even want stellar. Hm, seems I'm "out to pasture". Oh well.

Last edited:

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
McDonald's ... coffee in the same sentence? That's a big no for me. Around here there is exactly one place everyone, well near everyone, thinks has actual coffee. That place is a "greasy spoon" across from the courthouse. It's called ever so simply, the "down town-er". Every other place serves colored water what might have dredged the dishes.

The bother with the down town-er is the guy who owns, runs it. He's a bit of a loud mouth regarding politics & other controversial blather. No one goes in to talk all that codswallop. You got guys who come in what are/been "bushy babies", roughnecks, timber guys, farmers, trackers, truckers, hunters, a bit of influx from the criminal element, cops, ems, and average John P. Q. None of which see one iota o' sense in that stuff.

Folks keep going in though as it is our local "hole in the wall" place. Everyone gets along in there, too. Place has a "sacred ground" aura to it, no fussing, fracas, fighting. The owner can "blow" but no one else ever gets over a dull low moaning growl. Food is fairly good, edible, coffee is excellent and the rest of the staff serve us well.

I've just recently given up on making my coffee "all dolled up". Started to see sense to keeping it simple like my vaping. Don't drink much soda any more, so even less sugar from coffee helps too. Yes, I still eat sweets. *sighs* Not as much so. Last weigh in I was about a flat 300 lbs (21.43 stone), which is indeed down, had gotten to roughly 320 for a bit. Be happy to see 250 lbs if I can.

Ah well, anywho, ... y'all run 'er slow.

Some of those types of places have the most awesome food, and especially desserts, if you can find one that makes them from scratch. We have one here, also. I've never had coffee there, but wouldn't hesitate to order it with breakfast or dessert. I tend to not drink coffee with meals except breakfast. (I say that because my mother, the original coffee-holic, for years drank about two pots of coffee a day, by herself. She might drink half a Coke every month or two, hated plain water, wouldn't even drink iced tea. Now who in the South doesn't drink iced tea? Jeez. As she got older she and I had words over that not-drinking-water business, because her sleeping meds made her dehydrated and it would get so bad sometimes she'd get disoriented, couldn't put her sentences together, and her mouth would be so dry her tongue would stick to the roof of it. Elderly people cannot live on no-liquids-except-coffee, and that's a fact.)

Coffee from McDonalds was never a routine for me, it was generally me driving through town early in the morning on the way to the office, and having trouble keeping my eyes open. That crud they call coffee WILL actually wake you up, if you slog through a large (which feels like it's the size of a dump truck when you're trying to get it down - blech!). My regular thing was a great big unsweet tea with extra ice from Hardees. I'd love to have one of those right now. Our Hardees makes great tea.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years

:)

Have also concluded within myself, staying put job wise. Me and wife further discussed it. Told her I needed to talk to her Pawpaw. She had said I needed to figure out what I was doing, she wasn't getting us there on her own.

In our discussion I realized her Pawpaw would have told me, "hold your fire, Barn, hold your fire." Looked at her and said, "so you're telling me to hold my fire like your Pawpaw"? She just grinned and chuckled.

"How do I do channeling him," she asked. We both laughed and there was a great sense of ease befall. We both want out of our situation here as quick as we can. Still that's no reason either of us ought to try killing themselves. We have a long haul to consider and don't want to end up two old broken down folks who cannot enjoy our retired lives.

If we get buried by this old hovel or not, so it'll be. No real point to worry over that which we cannot control, nor have means to help. Even if we had means we can see it's not worth the helping. So, I'll stay put.

Saw from Board Of Education meeting notes my buddy Brent moved from just custodian to head custodian at his school. He is very deserving of that spot too. Brent fits the "mold" of custodian real well and will be very good there as head guy. Really happy he got it. :) The principal there will also give him authority, encourage him at the job. She's happy with his work so it all works out well.

Last edited:

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Saw from Board Of Education meeting notes my buddy Brent moved from just custodian to head custodian at his school. He is very deserving of that spot too. Brent fits the "mold" of custodian real well and will be very good there as head guy. Really happy he got it. :) The principal there will also give him authority, encourage him at the job. She's happy with his work so it all works out well.

As a result of this, saw this morning a position for Custodian III open at Brent's school. It is the 2 to 10 pm shift. Figure he wants someone he knows will burn the school down of a night for him to build of a morning. ;) :)

Told my wife he's using a big flashing neon sign to get me in up there with him. "Hey Ben, I got you a spot open full time! Come on up and work my evenings next year!" There was a lady who used to come in of a morning to handle opening the school, lunches. Figure he's obsoleted her spot and is going to take on full morning/day shift.

He just wants someone in of a night he knows will get done what needs done. There's two sets of bathroom sets, and I believe two single bathrooms. There's not much to do as far as classrooms, sweep them out and trash for the most part. There are some what got carpet/rugs but most don't. Then, you'd set up a rotating mopping schedule for the rooms / halls.

I'd use the "green machine" in the halls and gym though. It saves a lot of extra work. Could then figure probably once a month do floor buffing for halls, gym. Anyway, just a bit of update & some possible hope. :)

Got wife up to take me out to board office to "strike" for the spot.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
As a result of this, saw this morning a position for Custodian III open at Brent's school. It is the 2 to 10 pm shift. Figure he wants someone he knows will burn the school down of a night for him to build of a morning. ;) :)

Told my wife he's using a big flashing neon sign to get me in up there with him. "Hey Ben, I got you a spot open full time! Come on up and work my evenings next year!" There was a lady who used to come in of a morning to handle opening the school, lunches. Figure he's obsoleted her spot and is going to take on full morning/day shift.

He just wants someone in of a night he knows will get done what needs done. There's two sets of bathroom sets, and I believe two single bathrooms. There's not much to do as far as classrooms, sweep them out and trash for the most part. There are some what got carpet/rugs but most don't. Then, you'd set up a rotating mopping schedule for the rooms / halls.

I'd use the "green machine" in the halls and gym though. It saves a lot of extra work. Could then figure probably once a month do floor buffing for halls, gym. Anyway, just a bit of update & some possible hope. :)

Got wife up to take me out to board office to "strike" for the spot.

Good Luck~!

Not that you need luck but, never know who someone else wants to get the job. Hoping you get the position~!

Synphul

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
So it appears I'm soon to be porchless. Or at the very least due for a new porch or I won't have one to vape on for much longer lol. The old steps/porch fell apart, I built some makeshift steps and a porch maybe 8-10yrs ago using some pressure treated 2x and recycling a decommissioned power pole. Never occurred to me to seal the ends of the posts, that cutting the pole into posts opened up the end grain. The porch has been sagging a little and the other day I stepped out and damn near went through it. That was exciting.

No cover over it so it catches all the sun, the ridiculous amount of rain and humidity and light snow in the winter. Short story long, trying to sort out plans for a new one. Just when I wanted to dink with a project, the recent low prices of lumber just thrill me. Looked at 4x4 posts, the deck's small (4x4'-ish) and only 30-35" off the ground. Everyone raving about 6x6's so checked those out. Prices jump from $22-24 a post to $75-80 a post. Ouch. Thinking of splitting the difference with 4x6's. While I could get away with just making new stairs and a landing, thinking a covered porch would help greatly. Something like an 8ft x 15ft that extends over the stairs/landing and over the paver patio I made for the grill. Would much rather have a roof over the grill than have to keep covering it.

It'll give me a chance to make a better railing than the halfassed one I put on it now. Which is rotting along with the support posts underneath (severe splitting). I don't have to worry about code here but still been checking various codes/methods since porches aren't really my area of expertise. Just don't want it to fall on my head. If it's not one thing it's 5 others.

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
Cali had babies during the night. Four kitties, one didn't make it :cry:
6594ec52982d4f5e6a95b3c4b882465d.jpg

! WAKE UP ! from the MEDIA SPELL !

So sad she lost a baby, but hope she and the three others will do well. <3 <3 <3 <3

@Synphul when we moved into our current place almost exactly 22 years ago, we built a landing and steps for the back door, and a small deck and steps for the front. I was gobsmacked to see how much the materials cost for it and I'm sure it would make me feel sick to have to replace it now. Hubbs and son did put some new boards on the steps a couple months ago, because they were worn out, but hubbs had stuff around here to do that with. The rest of it seems sound. I don't envy you, though - that's a lot of money and a lot of work. Might be good that it's happening now, though; at least you can get it done before it gets hot as hell outside. Good luck with it!

Synphul

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
So sad she lost a baby, but hope she and the three others will do well. <3 <3 <3 <3

@Synphul when we moved into our current place almost exactly 22 years ago, we built a landing and steps for the back door, and a small deck and steps for the front. I was gobsmacked to see how much the materials cost for it and I'm sure it would make me feel sick to have to replace it now. Hubbs and son did put some new boards on the steps a couple months ago, because they were worn out, but hubbs had stuff around here to do that with. The rest of it seems sound. I don't envy you, though - that's a lot of money and a lot of work. Might be good that it's happening now, though; at least you can get it done before it gets hot as hell outside. Good luck with it!
Thanks. Yea it's insane. 12ft 4x4 treated are $30 a pop, the 6x6's jump to $75-80. It's not a large 'deck' like a 12 or 14x 26' or anything. Just a smaller 4x4, maybe 5x5 landing with 4 steps or so. Still haven't figured it up but the metal roof alone for 8x15 is $180 not counting hardware. So I'm guessing somewhere in the $500-600 range for a basic patio cover and stairs/landing. 2x6x8's used to be around $5-7, they're almost $11 now.

Some of those fancy post and beam pergolas with the heavy duty hardware brackets, the brackets are $75+ each. Don't envy those folks. I mean it sounds nit picking but I revised the plans for my project a bit. A way around using post caps to tie posts and beams together. There's only 6 but when you factor post cap connectors are $12/ea plus 16 nails/screws on each, that's another $100 just attaching the roof to the supports. It adds up quick, just trying to put together access to the back door and some basic rain cover. Not the taj mahal.

MarkS

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
So it appears I'm soon to be porchless. Or at the very least due for a new porch or I won't have one to vape on for much longer lol. The old steps/porch fell apart, I built some makeshift steps and a porch maybe 8-10yrs ago using some pressure treated 2x and recycling a decommissioned power pole. Never occurred to me to seal the ends of the posts, that cutting the pole into posts opened up the end grain. The porch has been sagging a little and the other day I stepped out and damn near went through it. That was exciting.

No cover over it so it catches all the sun, the ridiculous amount of rain and humidity and light snow in the winter. Short story long, trying to sort out plans for a new one. Just when I wanted to dink with a project, the recent low prices of lumber just thrill me. Looked at 4x4 posts, the deck's small (4x4'-ish) and only 30-35" off the ground. Everyone raving about 6x6's so checked those out. Prices jump from $22-24 a post to $75-80 a post. Ouch. Thinking of splitting the difference with 4x6's. While I could get away with just making new stairs and a landing, thinking a covered porch would help greatly. Something like an 8ft x 15ft that extends over the stairs/landing and over the paver patio I made for the grill. Would much rather have a roof over the grill than have to keep covering it.

It'll give me a chance to make a better railing than the halfassed one I put on it now. Which is rotting along with the support posts underneath (severe splitting). I don't have to worry about code here but still been checking various codes/methods since porches aren't really my area of expertise. Just don't want it to fall on my head. If it's not one thing it's 5 others.

We did a 12 x 18 foot deck/screen porch about five years ago. The posts are treated 4x4s on 30” deep poured piers. I forget the name of the material we added to the posts but it made them equivalent to 6x6.

a2e418a3b0381bbab5a07f7757d4c797.jpg

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Thanks. Yea it's insane. 12ft 4x4 treated are $30 a pop, the 6x6's jump to $75-80. It's not a large 'deck' like a 12 or 14x 26' or anything. Just a smaller 4x4, maybe 5x5 landing with 4 steps or so. Still haven't figured it up but the metal roof alone for 8x15 is $180 not counting hardware. So I'm guessing somewhere in the $500-600 range for a basic patio cover and stairs/landing. 2x6x8's used to be around $5-7, they're almost $11 now.

Some of those fancy post and beam pergolas with the heavy duty hardware brackets, the brackets are $75+ each. Don't envy those folks. I mean it sounds nit picking but I revised the plans for my project a bit. A way around using post caps to tie posts and beams together. There's only 6 but when you factor post cap connectors are $12/ea plus 16 nails/screws on each, that's another $100 just attaching the roof to the supports. It adds up quick, just trying to put together access to the back door and some basic rain cover. Not the taj mahal.

Prices for everything right now is insane~! Just a thought you might want to look into a Pre-Fabbed Deck kit because it might save some money.

Here is an example of some stuff.

2WhiteWolves

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Does anyone know....What are the chances of a male cat (feral) killing the little ones?

We've had to chase off one that keeps on coming up on the porch, after it turns dark. The first time he (Scruffy) was cool, second time he stuck his head inside Calis cave. We immediately chased him away. Cali was on guard standing up ready to scrap.
We have a porch video cam, so we are able to keep an eye on them. Thank goodness 'cause it would be a PITA to watch out the front door.
There's another's feral male cat, Spotty, but he hasn't shown up since Cali had her babies.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Does anyone know....What are the chances of a male cat (feral) killing the little ones?

We've had to chase off one that keeps on coming up on the porch, after it turns dark. The first time he (Scruffy) was cool, second time he stuck his head inside Calis cave. We immediately chased him away. Cali was on guard standing up ready to scrap.
We have a porch video cam, so we are able to keep an eye on them. Thank goodness 'cause it would be a PITA to watch out the front door.
There's another's feral male cat, Spotty, but he hasn't shown up since Cali had her babies.

I found feathers all over the yard one morning last week and checked the Security Cam and saw which Feral Cat it was. He is on my Hit List right now and I love cats but not once they taste Blood. First he gets soaked then a shot in the ass with something Non Lethal. After that I can't say but my water bill is going up because of him.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years

It could be a high possibility. Might want to move them to a more protected area if possible. Don't be surprised if the mama cat does that herself.

Wife's mom & dad got four little ones last month. Maow had been going in down to visit with them. No, he didn't get their GG preggers, she was out seeing another tom.

GG put a "knot" in Maow's tail though. He's recovered but decided to come back up to us. Been a treat seeing him hunt & quiet the mouse/rat problem up here.

He & Shrek seem to be co-habiting at least civilly.

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years

I am thinkin yes also

2WhiteWolves

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
I found feathers all over the yard one morning last week and checked the Security Cam and saw which Feral Cat it was. He is on my Hit List right now and I love cats but not once they taste Blood. First he gets soaked then a shot in the ass with something Non Lethal. After that I can't say but my water bill is going up because of him.
We are just about to that point of using a non lethal way on Scruffy. Don't want to, but we (mostly me) can't watch them 24 7.
Yesterday, Scruffy came around 5 times. Yeah, after posting saying he was only coming at night, he shows up three times during day light and twice at night.
One time he did stick his face into her cave, Cali hissed and smacked him good :teehee: he left than my Guy followed up and sent him on his way.

2WhiteWolves

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
It could be a high possibility. Might want to move them to a more protected area if possible. Don't be surprised if the mama cat does that herself.
I am thinkin yes also
Yup, Scruffy has bad intentions. Think we came up with a solution. We are going to put a cut half circle board in front of the opening of her cave where only Cali is able to get in and out. Scruffy and Spotty are too big they won't be able to get in. Cali is the tiniest cat, she's like a chihuahua :teehee:
I'll post before and after pic. This will also keep the little ones in the cave.
Hopefully, it isn't a stupid idea :question: :huh:

2WhiteWolves

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Before
e3b10ab5fe19cec94d4bc96357786960.jpg

After...
It turned out to be a U shape. Cali is able to go in n out with no problem :)
Scruffy and Spotty are too big, they might be able to get their head and two front legs in, but that's all.
a150614e39ede86f0b8370a889f55179.jpg

We put a fan in the hole that she goes through to get up to the upper part for her to sleep in during the winter.
Hopefully, it will help during this mini heat wave.
3bf0cffe6ce69fb50b29279a9c2a0919.jpg

Last edited:

VU Sponsors