SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
garfield-coffee.gif

Synphul

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Ugh.. welp so this happened. Looking out the window, heard cracking and watched as a large tree started coming down. There was a dead one next to it but this one was live. Hickory I think. Wasn't good enough it fell, it hit against others and took two more live trees with it. All about 30-50ft tall.

No heavy wind, just way too much damn rain. It's been raining on and off the past week steadily. Sucks, I hate losing trees. Even dead ones, much less live ones. Guess I'll be busy cutting these up and getting some of the smaller tops off of fences. Haven't run my saw in awhile, due for a tuneup so getting the filters and plug, spare chain, 2 stroke oil. And naturally it runs premium fuel when gas is nice and cheap to start with. lol

1653532341394.jpeg

1653532367029.jpeg

1653532387895.jpeg

Synphul

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
At least it's good hard wood. A friend of mine used to cut hickory's on his property and sold it to BBQ place in town for a good price, if nothing else might wanna check into that and get something outta it. ;)
Yea that's what I was thinking. I usually leave them if they're not in the way, provides homes for other critters. I thought I might be able to use it for a gate post that needs replacing but after a quick search, no dice. Apparently it's really vulnerable to insects untreated and ranks around pine for posts. But yea if it's hickory and I can't do much else with it, I'll cut it up to dry and use it for the smoker.

When I was running wood heat I'd cut up trees that fell on the property and split them. While I don't have a problem doing it, it just bugs me. Rather keep them standing. Some of the people around here like to mow down every tree they can, it's disheartening.

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Yeah hickory doesn't fare well for fence posts, be alright in an emergency temp one. That's a lot of wood there, great smokin wood.

Same here, people can't wait to get out in the country and soon as they get there they want it to look like the city :facepalm:, have no respect for nature, it's sad:(

VapeOn1960

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Ugh.. welp so this happened. Looking out the window, heard cracking and watched as a large tree started coming down. There was a dead one next to it but this one was live. Hickory I think. Wasn't good enough it fell, it hit against others and took two more live trees with it. All about 30-50ft tall.

No heavy wind, just way too much damn rain. It's been raining on and off the past week steadily. Sucks, I hate losing trees. Even dead ones, much less live ones.
Years ago (at my old apartment by the railroad tracks) we had heavy rains and this tall pine tree by the road fell down (roots just came loose) It was freaky... slow motion and landed so gently... but was so tall the top went all the way over the train track. I call the railroad and talk about good timing... Amtrak (passenger trains) was just about to come down the tracks. Credit goes to my son's friend (he was the first to notice it was leaning over) I would have never know (it didn't make a sound)
In the mountains (5000 ft) we had lots of trees (and branches) come down in snow storms. One time, it was a 200 ft pine loaded with snow. The wind was blowing hard and many trees swaying from heavy snow. Just as my wife and I walked by, it came down (rather quickly) Didn't make a sound because of several feet of snow, but it put up a huge "cloud" of snow when it hit the ground and the wind blew it right into our face. I was never afraid of living up there there until that moment.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
*came in the house with a t-shirt soaked in sweat, rain and covered with grass, weed bits. dusted himself off out at the entry door, sits slowing back down ... was only out about a half hour but feels he's run a marathon, sighs & shakes his head*

Morning y'all. Think I called the rain down. Stormed last night. Saw a break this morn got some weed eating done.

Our county school calendar is marked OSE (Out of School Event). Though wife says she saw it say employee last day is the 8th. Not been called, maybe won't be, will see.

Some one else got the last open full time spot. Thinking I'm about ready to say to heck with "striking" for them. Always seems they got spots for everyone else but a good worker. Oh well, their circus, not mine.

*clears throat and lowers voice* Also seems it's a who you know and blow job. Anyway, just an observation.

Last edited:

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
And you feel like saying "hey... you have something on your nose", then they say "what", and you respond "I don't know but it's brown and stinks!"

Actually no, it simply makes me want to walk away from the "job". There's no consideration of merit to the work. I went back and looked stuff up on it. We're not even actually evaluated. All they want is for you to show up, at least seem to do the work.

Had one of the guys hit a lady. He got a 3 day no pay suspension, that was all. He was not fired. I was fired for saying something dumb once, said I felt if anyone looked at me the wrong way I'd kill them. I was venting, letting off steam.

We had worked a real shit shift in the poultry plant that night. I was very frustrated. Still I was fired for violating "workplace violence" policy. Which I can understand. May not fully agree but do understand.

I didn't and still don't fully agree because it was patently obvious I had less than zero intention of harming anyone. The supervisor had asked me how I felt knowing full well I was frustrated, angry at the job/situation and the shitty shift we'd just ran. She also knew full well I was only blowing off steam with no intent to do a thing about it.

She was simply looking for an excuse. I guess because I got on so well with everyone, did good work at that as well. That can scare folks. They get the notion you're bucking for their spot. I was in no way doing that either. I simply saw we had shitty work, shitty situations with it and ways to do better.

Suppose I could look at this custodial job as a job where you can even seriously screw up but not get fired. That might seem positive. Really though to me it seems rather negative. If one can screw up so bad without any real consequence, there's no "standard". Without that there's no incentive.

Don't get me wrong. I still do, do decent work. I'm just not really too concerned with doing "exceptional" work at it. There's no point. And to clarify, no, I'm not a stoop to blow sort at least in the sense of work stuff. Rather get farther along in work based on merit than having to suck or kiss ass.

bureaucracy - my definition: noun: a fancy way to say bullshit.

This job is full of bureaucracy. Reckon that figures as it's a county government position. We're hired in yet have to deal with elected bosses who don't even try acting like bosses. Or worse they do but end up being megalomaniac about it.

Last edited:

gopher_byrd

Cranky Old Fart
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
My hip replacement happens on June 13th! I got a call from doctor's office Tuesday with that date. It surprised the heck out of me as I was expecting sometime in July. Looking forward less pain and struggles with getting shoes and socks on. I'm also looking forward to going on walks with my wife and dog. Right now much more than half a mile and I'm done from the pain in my leg/hip.

I'm going to be spending this morning mixing up some no nic juices to vape over the weekend. Rumor has it that the hospital where my hip will be replaced may test for nicotine. I go in Monday for pre- registration and pre-op tests at the hospital. I'm down to 1 mg/ml now so it shouldn't be a struggle.

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
My hip replacement happens on June 13th! I got a call from doctor's office Tuesday with that date. It surprised the heck out of me as I was expecting sometime in July. Looking forward less pain and struggles with getting shoes and socks on. I'm also looking forward to going on walks with my wife and dog. Right now much more than half a mile and I'm done from the pain in my leg/hip.

I'm going to be spending this morning mixing up some no nic juices to vape over the weekend. Rumor has it that the hospital where my hip will be replaced may test for nicotine. I go in Monday for pre- registration and pre-op tests at the hospital. I'm down to 1 mg/ml now so it shouldn't be a struggle.

"Test for nicotine?" Do they consider a patient a surgical risk if they are positive for nicotine? I've never heard of that, but then, I live in the tobacco belt of the US. I can just imagine how well that would be received to a lot of the folks around here, me included.

I have been told in the past to not take aspirin or other NSAIDs for a week before surgery, because they are anti-coagulant. I understand and agree with that, but nicotine? :cuss2:

gopher_byrd

Cranky Old Fart
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
I have been told in the past to not take aspirin or other NSAIDs for a week before surgery, because they are anti-coagulant.
Yeah I have to get some Tylenol and stop using the ibuprofen because of that.
"Test for nicotine?"
The first Orthopedic Surgeon I saw said they tested for nic at the hospital he uses. For some reason, my primary doc referred me to him and he doesn't do hip replacement. My current surgeon didn't mention it and the letter they gave me said no alcohol or smoking 24 hours before the surgery. Who knows what will happen, but it is a different hospital in a different city. Anyway, it shouldn't be a problem going zero nic for a few days as I have been using 1 mg for the past month and on travel days I'll go 8 hours or more without a vape.

VU Sponsors