Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
17a837939871e1be3936056eae77cbee.gif

! WAKE UP ! from the MEDIA SPELL !

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Yay! Got work at the department store. It is part-time at minimum wage. Wife says that's fine, "better than nothing". And the county schools want me on as a substitute custodian.

It was funny, interviewed and got hired for the store, come home check email and schools want me. May be working two jobs. I won't mind, aside from running around on public buses all day.

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
Yay! Got work at the department store. It is part-time at minimum wage. Wife says that's fine, "better than nothing". And the county schools want me on as a substitute custodian.

It was funny, interviewed and got hired for the store, come home check email and schools want me. May be working two jobs. I won't mind, aside from running around on public buses all day.

Well dang. Congratulations! Sounds like you're about to be a busy guy. That is really great news!

walton

Gold Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Reddit Exile

good one

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years

2 part time jobs can make for good Overtime~! Congratulations~!

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
2 part time jobs can make for good Overtime~! Congratulations~!
Yes. Got to figuring, I might be making roughly $25/hr adding wages together. That will not be constant. There will be times I only work one position.

As a bonus, a recently made friend here might come to work in the store with me. He walks with a cane, younger fellow. There are issues with his back.

Told him other folks can do the lifting. He seemed encouraged that he might be used "on the floor", putting items out for display and buying. Be nice having a bud working.

The manager at the store told me the only way I wouldn't work there was if I stopped working there. They need good workers as people do not stick with it. The management seemed reasonable. Can only figure low entry pay discourages.

For now, it is at least something, and something is better than nothing. If I only work the store, it might be about $800/month. That gives me at least half the rent and a little for my pocket, a bit to save. Going to remain positive. :)

Last edited:

walton

Gold Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Reddit Exile

hi magic, i think its good having rooms like this as you can see life in other places. here in oz the minimum wage is around $A24/hr pension is around $A900 bucks/fortnight for singles and $A1300 for couples. interest rate is 3.25%, petrol $2.00/litre. rent around 300-400/week. but grocery stuff is crazy, Lebanese cucumbers $7/kilo, potatoes $5/2kilo bag, bread 1.30/loaf of store baked crap milhk1.40/litre.
cancer sticks $32.00/a 30 pack, its getting harder each year i fear. i wonder which countries if any are getting cheaper to live in.

best of luck buddy. i am happy when i hear of people getting good news. it makes a change.

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
*runs, hops up on the edge of the porch and sits, pulls out a vape, does his best to look innocent*

Hey BB, you know JuiceHeadsGuy has a new, still sealed stainless Mongrel for $25 in the Hardware thread now (unless it's sold in the last couple of hours)? Might be a good new-job-present for yerself. Just thought I'd mention it.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Hey BB, you know JuiceHeadsGuy has a new, still sealed stainless Mongrel for $25 in the Hardware thread now (unless it's sold in the last couple of hours)? Might be a good new-job-present for yerself. Just thought I'd mention it.

I'd love to, but still yet unable. Waiting on a background check. Miss the times when a guy dubbed "Papa" took you round to a "boss", shook a hand, went to work.

Papa took 10% for the "sick/hurt" kitty. You got hurt there was a little money, people helping your family. No, it isn't a Latino only "thing".

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
I'd love to, but still yet unable. Waiting on a background check. Miss the times when a guy dubbed "Papa" took you round to a "boss", shook a hand, went to work.

Papa took 10% for the "sick/hurt" kitty. You got hurt there was a little money, people helping your family. No, it isn't a Latino only "thing".

Completely understand, just thought it was a good deal. I've spent most of my adult life having to be super careful with money. In a lot of ways it's no fun, but then it seems like in some ways you never really accomplish anything with the money you have if you aren't careful. Self control is an admirable quality.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Self control is an admirable quality.
Yes, I agree & have been exercising a good bit of that of late. Reigning in thoughts & feelings to let them be transitory is something I'm late to learning. The education in it progresses well and briskly.

Learning to communicate, feel, act as an eagle rather than vulture. :)

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I spent yesterday afternoon screwing around with a 1080p LED TV I got for free. So I set it up in the backyard.

1680696839222.png

So far I can stream from a Laptop and have Prime Video setup on the Laptop. Today I will see about running a cable out then setup Netflix and Hulu, etc. It is an older Model HDTV so not a Smart TV.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
So, I had an interesting afternoon. I ran a Coax Cable for the Cable Vision outside in the backyard and when drilling the hole I misjudged where the Network Cable for the Internet was and I drilled threw and destroyed it. Taking out the punch down block I lost the retaining clip in the window well when it popped off. So after trying to find it I said screw it I should have one in my vehicle. While looking through my box of supplies I found it and a Brand New Samsung Remote Control for the HDTV I just got~! Woo Hoo~! When I went to see if it worked the batteries were still good to boot~!

So out of something bad came something good~!

Since it started raining I went inside to go work on my Laptop to setup Hulu and Netflix but notice the Cable Remote in the Living Room is missing??? WTF? Knew it had to be Mom~! After scanning Hours of NVR Video I saw she took it at almost 1PM and brought it in her room. When it didn't work on that TV she left it in her bed~! I spent an hour to find the freaking remote for the Living room.

Never a Dull Moment~!

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
My day was uneventful. No word yet regarding background check. Kept the house a pin. Will get tonight's supper dishes upon morning. Wife is watching Masked Singer. I can take it or leave it. We looked at Stargate Atlantis before that.

Mixed a flask batch of TFA sweet cream & cinnamon spice in the DovPo Topside. Put the glass cap on the Mongrel RDA and it's on the Topside. It is tasting yummy. The coil is .55 & running 24 watts. Yep, even on regulated, I don't go too high on watts.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
The coil is .55 & running 24 watts. Yep, even on regulated, I don't go too high on watts.
Built a (K/SS316L) coil that is tapping in at .47Ω and fires at .50Ω. Up to 26 Watts. Woo Hoo!!! "Hold my beer and watch this!"

*hears the snickers and chants of "crazy Hillbilly gonna blow his self up", notes the shaking of heads, chuckles and wanders on*

He he he! 28 Watts!!! :D :p *Listening to his own drummer* :)

Last edited:

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Morning everybody. Run it slow & have a good one. :)

Got an interview for IUPAT today. Looking to apprentice as a Hydro Vac/ Water Blaster. They are hiring a lot of these in WV. You go in and clean power plants, other industrial facilities using high pressure water.

There is also hydro-excavation & hydro-demolition, which I'm hoping to get into as well. The union trains you right up.

Might even be able to get free college credits. Say for example I wanted to run a hydro trades business, can get a business degree through the union.

Not counting chickens here. I'm just saying what my day is going to be. Hoping I can get into this.

ETA: Interview was basically two questions. "Want to work? Will you show up, get there consistently?" He mentioned though they were seeking folks that drove.

Told him my wife "Big Boss" would insure I got at least to the Union Hall to get picked up for a crew/job. I said I planned to only take jobs with employer provided transport. He nodded.

Cannot really say it went well or bad. Need to look up how to take OSHA 10 test online. Need that to get to work. Spent most of the day in a greasy spoon by the union hall.

He told me applicants would be reviewed and a call or contact would come saying hired or not no later than Friday. He brought his hand up, we shook. "Hope you get on with. We need good workers. Seems you are that."

Last edited:

VU Sponsors