Become a Patron!

Vaping on the Front or back Porch

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Got an hour of paid time today. Only took 30-45 minutes to get paperwork filled out. Ought to get next week's schedule for the part-time department store job by Friday. Heard nothing regarding union work as yet. They may present something by Friday as well.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
giphy.gif

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Applied for a custodial spot with a company what sells cleaning equipment & supplies as well. Right after applying through Indeed DOT com, I got a text from them. They asked why I wanted to work for them.

"I need more income in the form of steady work. I can do custodial work. Apologies for missing your call, I was indisposed."

I had gone to the bathroom, they had called during that time. Wife comes in for lunch. She tells me I ought to call them and talk over voice instead of just texting. After she goes back to work and locates their phone number, I do.

The lady that answered listened to me a minute. "Oh, Dave is the one who hires, handles the service. Want to speak to him?" So, I talk with him. He explains they're waiting on the "system" to "fill up", "work through", if I'm chosen they'll call. I awkwardly apologize for calling, saying I needed to satisfy my wife's curiosity. He says it's fine, we say goodbyes and end the call.

No more than five minutes later he texts again asking if I can interview, if so when. I ask if he's located in St. Mary's, WV as wife has said it's too far. No, he's in Marietta, OH, just across the bridge from Parkersburg, WV. I text wife and ask if Monday at 1 PM would suit. She tells me that she'll take off to take me, be sure it's definitive, though.

I texted him back asking if that time suited to interview. This was Friday around 3 to 4 PM. The company ought to have been open to at least 5 PM, one would think. Point is I felt, still feel, he ample time to respond back either way. If he responds Monday morning near or after 8 AM, he's missed the chance and I have as well.

I keep looking, even the job listings say they do not require a driver's license, 80-95% do want people that drive. Figure that is why I heard nothing back from IUPAT. The fellow "interviewing" me ask if I drove. Told him the listing stated no driving license was required. He expressed that they were still looking for drivers. It's understandable, as you might need to move a tank truck with the hydro blasting crew. They would prefer CDLs.

Start my part-time work at the department store this week. It's only three days of 4 hours each day. That's roughly all they will give anyone, no more than 15 hours per week. The pay is $9 hrly, so it is far less than a lot are offering to start, and I've been told it doesn't increase. At least it can help or buy all our groceries if we watch what we get. Something is better than nothing, but my wife is already saying even that is nothing.

I have concluded, no matter what I do or say, it's wrong according to her. She complains I don't help when I do, or at least try to, and complains anything I do is wrong. I asked her about a pair of pants that needed work. I was unsure if she wanted me tossing them out, or not. She gave me what I refer to as the Jes-- Chr--- attitude from, as in "Jes-- Chr---, do i got to do everything!?". Tell me why would you want to help?

*smh* I won't even dare bring up thinking we could find less expensive of a place to rent. Nope, not me brother. Huh uh.

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
Applied for a custodial spot with a company what sells cleaning equipment & supplies as well. Right after applying through Indeed DOT com, I got a text from them. They asked why I wanted to work for them.

"I need more income in the form of steady work. I can do custodial work. Apologies for missing your call, I was indisposed."

I had gone to the bathroom, they had called during that time. Wife comes in for lunch. She tells me I ought to call them and talk over voice instead of just texting. After she goes back to work and locates their phone number, I do.

The lady that answered listened to me a minute. "Oh, Dave is the one who hires, handles the service. Want to speak to him?" So, I talk with him. He explains they're waiting on the "system" to "fill up", "work through", if I'm chosen they'll call. I awkwardly apologize for calling, saying I needed to satisfy my wife's curiosity. He says it's fine, we say goodbyes and end the call.

No more than five minutes later he texts again asking if I can interview, if so when. I ask if he's located in St. Mary's, WV as wife has said it's too far. No, he's in Marietta, OH, just across the bridge from Parkersburg, WV. I text wife and ask if Monday at 1 PM would suit. She tells me that she'll take off to take me, be sure it's definitive, though.

I texted him back asking if that time suited to interview. This was Friday around 3 to 4 PM. The company ought to have been open to at least 5 PM, one would think. Point is I felt, still feel, he ample time to respond back either way. If he responds Monday morning near or after 8 AM, he's missed the chance and I have as well.

I keep looking, even the job listings say they do not require a driver's license, 80-95% do want people that drive. Figure that is why I heard nothing back from IUPAT. The fellow "interviewing" me ask if I drove. Told him the listing stated no driving license was required. He expressed that they were still looking for drivers. It's understandable, as you might need to move a tank truck with the hydro blasting crew. They would prefer CDLs.

Start my part-time work at the department store this week. It's only three days of 4 hours each day. That's roughly all they will give anyone, no more than 15 hours per week. The pay is $9 hrly, so it is far less than a lot are offering to start, and I've been told it doesn't increase. At least it can help or buy all our groceries if we watch what we get. Something is better than nothing, but my wife is already saying even that is nothing.

I have concluded, no matter what I do or say, it's wrong according to her. She complains I don't help when I do, or at least try to, and complains anything I do is wrong. I asked her about a pair of pants that needed work. I was unsure if she wanted me tossing them out, or not. She gave me what I refer to as the Jes-- Chr--- attitude from, as in "Jes-- Chr---, do i got to do everything!?". Tell me why would you want to help?

*smh* I won't even dare bring up thinking we could find less expensive of a place to rent. Nope, not me brother. Huh uh.

Your part-time job isn't "nothing," and it sounds like your wife is just peckish because she's worried. We women tend to do that. That money, though, could be the difference between driving and not driving, or eating and not eating, or having the power on or off. If someone decided to send me a check for $500 a month, I'd be tickled as hell. The part-time aspect of it decreases the cost and inconvenience of transportation to and from, and leaves you enough time at home to continue to help around the house. Also, if West Virginia decides to raise the minimum wage, like a lot of states are doing, then your rate will increase. There is a moderately bright side.

You've come a long way from where you were just a few years ago, and now you know that you can work and bring in money, and you aren't at the mercy of the government and whoever it was that you and the wife used to live with. There is huge value in that, and just because next week's going to be $9 an hour for 15 hours a week doesn't mean that it will stay like that for long. You want better and you'll continue to look for better, if it turns out that the advantages the part-time schedule offers are not a good offset for extra income. Either way, it's not "nothing."

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
Speaking of coffee, I have changed again. I set up a "Subscribe and Save" order with Amazon for every three months, and one of the items on that order is their Dark Roast "Happy Belly" k-cups. Using k-cups at all is a departure from what I'd normally do, because of the cost of them. Some are outrageously expensive. But I decided to try these because they come in a box of 100 k-cups for about $35.

I tried the Colombian first, and at first I liked them, but after a while it seemed that the flavor just fizzled out. So I changed to Dark Roast for the March shipment, and this is more like it. After a day or so to adjust, I really like this coffee, and it is very, very easy on the digestion. I have acid reflux, have had for 30 years or so, so I have to be cautious about some foods and drinks.

I think they have a French Roast that is darker than what I have, but I'm pretty darn happy with the Dark Roast. Just sharing in case anyone has these digestive issues and needs a coffee that isn't expensive but is easy on the tum.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
The part-time aspect of it decreases the cost and inconvenience of transportation to and from, and leaves you enough time at home to continue to help around the house.
Eventually, I will get a monthly bus pass. They run only $25, and I can get to & from via bus. Catch the 7:30 or even 8 AM J line into the terminal, hop on E line to get to, reverse it coming home at 1 PM.
Also, if West Virginia decides to raise the minimum wage, like a lot of states are doing, then your rate will increase. There is a moderately bright side.
Laughing over that as in working for the board of education, it literally took an Act of Congress for me to get a raise. Around the area, Parkersburg, so many of the companies are at the very least starting at $12 hrly.

Most averaging $15 to start and near guaranteed raises and "bump ups" taking you to $20 hrly within a year. No idea why this department store is paying so low. Well, I do have an idea. "Because they can."

They're doing $9 hrly and guaranteeing you'll not even make 15 hrs per week. You're lucky to get 12 like I'm getting this first week. Will probably see $250 a month, if that.
You've come a long way from where you were just a few years ago, and now you know that you can work and bring in money, and you aren't at the mercy of the government and whoever it was that you and the wife used to live with.
Correct. We lived with her sister and her brother-in-law. Told her today I noticed we don't have spiders here. She asked how I figured that. "No cobwebs." No rats or mice either, save for our cat's toy mice.

Trade off, "everybody lives here" so, we do have roaches, unfortunately. The apartment folks have exterminators in once a season, every three months, to help control them. We can also get "roach motels".

The buildings are brick, seemingly built on slab. They also have insulated outer walls and insulation & soundproofing on interior walls. I figure they also have flash insulation in the walls as well to avoid one apartment catching others alight. The windows are a bit crappy though, not too well insulated yet double panned. They are old flat institutional windows and not custom fit. Need resealed.

We also have access to a swimming pool & tennis/basketball court, if we'd like. Not too keen for either really, not when they add to rent costs.
You want better and you'll continue to look for better,
Yes'm. I keep looking daily. I try to keep applying daily as well. Sometimes there isn't anything to apply into. And then I face the no contact backs. Can apply all I want, they don't need to even acknowledge it.

Got to love "at will" employment.

walton

Gold Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Reddit Exile
Eventually, I will get a monthly bus pass. They run only $25, and I can get to & from via bus. Catch the 7:30 or even 8 AM J line into the terminal, hop on E line to get to, reverse it coming home at 1 PM.

Laughing over that as in working for the board of education, it literally took an Act of Congress for me to get a raise. Around the area, Parkersburg, so many of the companies are at the very least starting at $12 hrly.

Most averaging $15 to start and near guaranteed raises and "bump ups" taking you to $20 hrly within a year. No idea why this department store is paying so low. Well, I do have an idea. "Because they can."

They're doing $9 hrly and guaranteeing you'll not even make 15 hrs per week. You're lucky to get 12 like I'm getting this first week. Will probably see $250 a month, if that.

Correct. We lived with her sister and her brother-in-law. Told her today I noticed we don't have spiders here. She asked how I figured that. "No cobwebs." No rats or mice either, save for our cat's toy mice.

Trade off, "everybody lives here" so, we do have roaches, unfortunately. The apartment folks have exterminators in once a season, every three months, to help control them. We can also get "roach motels".

The buildings are brick, seemingly built on slab. They also have insulated outer walls and insulation & soundproofing on interior walls. I figure they also have flash insulation in the walls as well to avoid one apartment catching others alight. The windows are a bit crappy though, not too well insulated yet double panned. They are old flat institutional windows and not custom fit. Need resealed.

We also have access to a swimming pool & tennis/basketball court, if we'd like. Not too keen for either really, not when they add to rent costs.

Yes'm. I keep looking daily. I try to keep applying daily as well. Sometimes there isn't anything to apply into. And then I face the no contact backs. Can apply all I want, they don't need to even acknowledge it.

Got to love "at will" employment.
minimum wage in australia buddy is now at $23.60 oz dollar of course

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Holy cow! I have two interviews tomorrow. Both are custodial/janitorial spots.

One offers $13 hrly to start, with guarantee of at least 40 hrs per week. The other is an apprentice program lasting 1 year for a Federal contract, requires 144 hrs of classroom work.

Wife is taking off tomorrow for time to get me to interviews.

Way for me to stay positive despite her pessimism / worrying. :)

I have a part-time job starting Wed, so of course full-time work is going to be sirens, now. Hopefully I'll make both interviews on time. One is 11 AM the other 1 PM. Might luck out on the morning one, show up early get in early and be able to head to Marietta, OH for the other at 1.

ETA: Go Friday to get fingerprinted for school system background check to be hired in as a substitute, as far as I'm aware.

Damn, ... "Boy you gonna work!"

"What you saying, work? I gots four jobs now! Get over yourself and answer me, is my butt cute?"

Anybody else want to call, .... ??

PPS: I know this is some Bright Eye's doings. She got mad at my wife and told these employers I had to get to work just to piss my wife off. Yep, I figure the universe made it happen for a purpose. *nodding*

Last edited:

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Holy cow! I have two interviews tomorrow. Both are custodial/janitorial spots.

One offers $13 hrly to start, with guarantee of at least 40 hrs per week. The other is an apprentice program lasting 1 year for a Federal contract, requires 144 hrs of classroom work.

Wife is taking off tomorrow for time to get me to interviews.

Way for me to stay positive despite her pessimism / worrying. :)

I have a part-time job starting Wed, so of course full-time work is going to be sirens, now. Hopefully I'll make both interviews on time. One is 11 AM the other 1 PM. Might luck out on the morning one, show up early get in early and be able to head to Marietta, OH for the other at 1.

ETA: Go Friday to get fingerprinted for school system background check to be hired in as a substitute, as far as I'm aware.

Damn, ... "Boy you gonna work!"

"What you saying, work? I gots four jobs now! Get over yourself and answer me, is my butt cute?"

Anybody else want to call, .... ??

PPS: I know this is some Bright Eye's doings. She got mad at my wife and told these employers I had to get to work just to piss my wife off. Yep, I figure the universe made it happen for a purpose. *nodding*
Good luck on your interviews my friend, hope they pan out for you.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Interview 1 for Company A: Went so so. The receptionist had two worksheets of questions. She seemed enthused, impressed with my answers. "I will pass this to Alice. He handles hiring our custodians, janitors. You're doing the apprentice program to refresh. You'll get the 144 class hours, the first bit 8 AM to about 4:30 PM. After that, whatever they need you to work. Get here, and we'll get you to the client site."

Interview 2 for Company B: I liked Dave. He got held up with a customer, DuP---. They had a small task needed to be attended. As they were there, Safety come in and ordered shelter in place. They had to safely vent a gas from a leak. He wound up 45 minutes late to the interview.

He put me on his "book" if he gets something on a bid in Parkersburg. He will call me first, and then I'll get hired in on it. Right now, he said, it seems all custodial firms are doing the same thing. Customers see that and wait for lowest bids.

He even apologized for having me run over to Marietta to interview. Told him I needed the work. He nodded. "Well, you're in our book, Ben. You understand what I'm saying?"

"I got a job. Great, when is pay day?"

"After you hire in on a bid, Ben."

"Gotcha, I'm up to be hired next."

"Yep."

I go Friday to get fingerprinted and a background check for the schools. Start part-time for the department store tomorrow. My wife chuckled "Well, you'll be working three places." I reminded her of the part-time work. "Oh you're right, four places. Hubby, why are you stretching so thin?" I just give her the "look". She let it go. Give me a kiss as I rolled out of the car here at the apartment.

Whew, had a day today. Think I'll get a snack, veg out a little.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
"Well, you'll be working three places." I reminded her of the part-time work. "Oh you're right, four places. Hubby, why are you stretching so thin?" I just give her the "look". She let it go. Give me a kiss as I rolled out of the car here at the apartment.

From hearing you speak about your work ethic I sincerely think you can handle it~!

Good Luck~!

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
From hearing you speak about your work ethic I sincerely think you can handle it~!

Good Luck~!

Oh, I don't know. The employers may not handle it. For one thing, likely to face scheduling conflicts.

Will see how it goes. May have to choose one employer only, full-time. Which is okay if full-time, decent pay, benefits.

If scheduling conflicts were not conflicts, sure I could do all four. Being practical and realistic, though, I foresee whittling down to one. At least I've the opposite "problem" now, can choose work instead of waiting on work to choose me.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Tired from standing on concrete four hours. Beyond that, low pay, low hours, no real complaints regarding the work at the department store. Knew of low pay and hours going in. There was no stress.

Everyone had their own "section" to put stickers on. You pull product from boxes, take it out of wrappings/plastic and put price stickers on each unit. I got a pallet and a half done today of pet stuff.

Figure that was 200 units per hour. I worked the full four hours, save a few minutes to bandage a knuckle. Got myself with the box cutter razor and didn't even know it. Kept blood off product, though.

It was work, there. Showed up, shut up, got done, come home, wash, rinse, repeat tomorrow & Saturday. Ride the bus, so a 10-minute trip takes 30. No big issue, leave at 7:30 get there at 8 -8:30 depending. Clock in at 9, out around 1.

VU Sponsors