nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
Was in the backyard at 6AM having coffee and a Vape this morning. Stacked some firewood while feeding the birdies. A little chilly but a light jacket was all that was needed.

Sounds like my kind of weather. Temps between 40 and 50 degrees are perfect - that's when it's "bracing" outside.

Years ago when hubbs and I used to come here to camp (on this land we live on now), I remember cooking breakfast using his camp stove and a cast iron skillet outside, and making coffee in a percolator. Nothing better than fresh and very hot coffee out in the cold morning air. I miss those times. :)

Don't miss the cigarettes we also had with our coffee then, but that was in the late 90s, before vaping (as far as I know).

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Was in the backyard at 6AM having coffee and a Vape this morning. Stacked some firewood while feeding the birdies. A little chilly but a light jacket was all that was needed.
Sitting here in our "office". Got a cup o' Joe in front of me, (pauses) vape in hand. Today, I need to go out in dreary weather. The county health department is located by the Easy Rider terminal. Need to get my shot & that saves running to Ripley every two weeks.

Got stuffed up while out in the "chill" yesterday. Shot up on Flo-Nase this morning as post nasal was yuck. I wear my light insulated gray hoodie to go out during Spring, Summer, Autumn. Got a big bulky black Carhartt type of coat for Winter, and somewhere even genuine Carhartt overalls.

We've been having a lot of rain. Yesterday it was forecasted we'd get rain and snow, last night/today. Have looked at a lot of the dollar stores around local. Not found red bag coffee, figure eventually I'll order it delivered. As I told my wife, $3-$4 beats out $8-$12 for coffee.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Have looked at a lot of the dollar stores around local. Not found red bag coffee, figure eventually I'll order it delivered. As I told my wife, $3-$4 beats out $8-$12 for coffee.

Dollar Tree changed and now it is $1.25 for 4 Oz of Coffee. I have been buying Chock Full O Nuts and Maxwell house on sale at the Supermarkets now because cost per ounce is cheaper for a better coffee.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Temps between 40 and 50 degrees are perfect - that's when it's "bracing" outside.
I usually like that as well yet with some precipitation and breezes coming in off the Lakes, it can be more of "bite" than a brace.

Ohio is literally just across a bridge from us. We're maybe two, three miles from any of three to four bridges over the Ohio River. Some talk Parkersburg may secede to Ohio since we're so close. A lot of Ohio businesses provide access over here. Lots of workers here work there.

Last edited:

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Dollar Tree changed and now it is $1.25 for 4 Oz of Coffee. I have been buying Chock Full O Nuts and Maxwell house on sale at the Supermarkets now because cost per ounce is cheaper for a better coffee.

Hmm. Will think on that a bit. Still $3.75 to fill up one of the plastic Foldger's cans, to me, seems reasonable. Hm, works out to $0.03 per ounce. But yes, Maxwell House does sound yummy. ... We got Piggly Wiggly's too so they might run it cheap. Hmmmmmm ... ^wanders along now wondering about the cost of Thousand Year Eggs vs the cost of coffee*

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I did enjoy the Dollar Tree Breakfast Blend but the new brand they sell isn't as good. And to top it off it is supposedly Imported but maybe from freaking China??

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I did the Math and DT is a little over 30¢ an Ounce so $6.99 for 23-26 Oz can of CFON is 29¢ an Oz. The 10.5 to 11 Oz cans were on Sale for $1.99 to $2.99 so some were 19¢ an Oz.
Boogers, got my numbers backwards again. Tell you I'm numbers dyslexic. I did do $3.75 / 12 but thought $0.30 per ounce was just silly, as in couldn't be right. Sorry I get turned around.

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
Hmm. Will think on that a bit. Still $3.75 to fill up one of the plastic Foldger's cans, to me, seems reasonable. Hm, works out to $0.03 per ounce. But yes, Maxwell House does sound yummy. ... We got Piggly Wiggly's too so they might run it cheap. Hmmmmmm ... ^wanders along now wondering about the cost of Thousand Year Eggs vs the cost of coffee*

Don't know if you or @SteveS45 can get JFG coffee locally, but it's very good in a Maxwell House kinda way, and usually is very reasonably priced. It's a brand that's been around in parts of the South for my entire lifetime.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Don't know if you or @SteveS45 can get JFG coffee locally, but it's very good in a Maxwell House kinda way, and usually is very reasonably priced. It's a brand that's been around in parts of the South for my entire lifetime.

Mom used to get it in vacuum sealed freezer bags. Not seen it on recent outings. Will need to look better. Right now, we're kind of on fumes for that money stuff. It happens, we muddle through. *sighs, pondering wife's fits recently*

Waiting on the 16th to see if I get on as a sub custodian in this county. Hopefully, I will. Indications are positive. Then, hopefully, it will not take another 3 years until a full-time spot opens at a school on a public bus route.

Until then, doing 3 days a week, four-hour shifts at Gabe's. The job I do is not stressful at all. I unbox product, place price stickers on it by hand. Everyone there is extremely nice, genuinely so too, not the false stuff. They're happy I do what I can do.

Weather here today is a bit rainy, windy, chilled. Almost could be forgiven thinking it was Autumn again. Lots of leaves coming off, some still even green. Took my bus to health dept., come home but went across the street to a shop. Got what I wanted, walked back across the street and come home.

Poor Shrek went out to potty it was raining decently, just rain, no storming. Think he realized though I'm looking out for him. Of course, he's still going to be an obstinate mama's boy. He was here taking care of her yesterday. She was off two days sick w/ a bad UTI.

I told him to watch her until I got back from work. She fussed when I come in, he hadn't eaten, drank, done anything but hang on her. I right away said to him, "good job, it's okay, you can do what you need now." He got up and went to eat. She just shook her head.

Looked at her, "who's dog?" She chuckled as he ran back over to see her. She told him to listen to me. "go eat big 'un." He did.

ETA: Made a correction. I misread the scheduling. Waiting on the 16th to see if I get on as a sub custodian in this county. Replaces the sentence above. It did read the 6th. Anxious to get into the spot and misread.

Last edited:

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
So I had to send Mom to the ER at the Hospital after dinner. She was weak and couldn't get off the Toilet and said she was dizzy when I helped her to it. Better safe than sorry, even though when I told her I called an Ambulance she got up and went in bed.

Long freaking day~!

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
So I had to send Mom to the ER at the Hospital after dinner. She was weak and couldn't get off the Toilet and said she was dizzy when I helped her to it. Better safe than sorry, even though when I told her I called an Ambulance she got up and went in bed.

Long freaking day~!
Sorry to hear. *hug* Of course, she went back to her bed to meet the e.m.s people. Got to have her dignity after all. *Nodding knowingly,* It's why when Christy's grandpa fell and had his stroke, he was adamant I moved him into a chair in the yard.

Despite my own better judgement, I damn well did too. Her dad kind of give me a side glance. I explained later the reasoning. He thought on it a minute and then just said thank you. My moving him did not cause anything, but what wasn't there.

After he got settled in the chair, I saw the terror in his eyes, stroke patients have. There was no telling if the fall triggered the stroke, or the stroke the fall. Slick grass was more likely the culprit of the fall. He ought not have been weed eating around his pump house.

How do you argue with stubbornness ingrained?

Hope your mom doesn't face anything too serious and fares better soon.

2WhiteWolves

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon

Long freaking day~!
Hope she is feeling better and she is back at home. :hug:
Did you find out what was wrong?

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
So update on my Mom, she is feeling better and tremors have stopped probably due to Medications. Neurological Consult Scheduled and continued testing. They had her up walking already which is good but she was mobile without assistance before.

Thank You All my Good Friends for your thoughts and Prayers~!

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
"People start thanking me, I run the other way." -- John Smith _Last Man Standing_

Candidly, I feel buds don't ever say three things.

1. Sorry.
2. Thanks.
3. Goodbye.

1. Never sorry because a bud knows, loves and understands.
2. Thanking a bud for being a bud isn't needed, buds isn't work.
3. We'll always see one another later, saying goodbye is final.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Approval of Service Substitute(s)
Ben Badgley, Custodian, effective May 15, 2023

Now, I'm on the roster. I will keep the three-day weeks at Gabe's. Can set times I am "out of service". During those out of service times, work the 9 AM to 1 PM shift at Gabe's, Tue, Thu, Sat.

There may be some weeks I do not work for the schools. Having at least the $100 from Gabe's each week will help. If I'm called on one of those Tue, Thu, I can accept a shift after 1 PM for the schools. "Go with Gus, transfer from Gabe's to School."

For those not knowing, "get on the bus, Gus" is a song lyric. Cannot recall song title offhand.

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years

Long freaking day~!

Sorry to hear this my friend, sending healing thoughts and keeping your mom in my prayers

VU Sponsors