Become a Patron!

Vaping on the Front or back Porch

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
So 5 hours straight outside working.
Didn't get out to do any weed-eating yesterday. In part, I expected the rain, in part I was waiting to see my wife's planning. The rain that did come was a light "gentle" storm. It might have rained a half-hour, drizzling. It was just enough that an otherwise pleasant day for it would have slicked the hills. I really ought to buy some cleats.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
When I was trimming the shrubs they were still a little wet. Actually makes for a lubricant on the Bush Whacker~!

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
They once told me the driver might mark it delivered but deliver it later. So I asked it is common practice and allowable for drivers to COMMIT PURGERY? Crickets~!
Better watch yourself, comrade. They have places for people who turn their system on them. You will be re-educated and go work on the locality's farm. That's if you are so lucky.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Better watch yourself, comrade. They have places for people who turn their system on them. You will be re-educated and go work on the locality's farm. That's if you are so lucky.

Last time UPS fucked with me I still had my plow on the truck. Ran the UPS Driver to the curb and said where is my Package? They lost the first one and the second said out for delivery then with clear skies and 48°F they marked it as Weather Delay~! I went off on Customer Service and a Supervisor who called me and tried to tell me that is isn't the same tracking number. A replacement always gets the same from this company and I had Screen Shots to prove it.

2WhiteWolves

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
41bc235973c63f3a2eb07557af4b9726.jpg

! WAKE UP ! from the MEDIA SPELL !

Synphul

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Slow progress on the garden. Woulda got further tonight but when the weather says 'rain at 8p' they mean 6:30 I guess. Meh. Normally wouldn't mind a light drizzle but not with power tools scattered. The uprights I placed in the post holes tried to tamp with dirt yesterday. Checked today since it was sunny, nope still slimy soup. So rooted around in the post holes and dug the slop clay mud out, got fresh dry dirt and back into the holes. Got them tamped down. They'll have cross braces to the ground eventually but they're in pretty solid. Leveled everything up with the bucket halves so the bed's level, screwed them to the uprights.

Yesterday got some of the weeds dug up and leveled some spots for the 2ft diameter buckets for the cucumbers. A lot of the time consuming crap is just the tedious shit. Leveling things, getting stuff plumb. Especially on this slope. But I figure a bit more effort now will prevent future issues, water collecting in one end of raised tubs, that sort of thing.

Synphul

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Well fuck beans. Got the dryer back together, installed the replacement inline fuse. The replacement wiring seemed a bit thinner than oe, at least a gauge thinner. However the replacement wire is copper and the oe was aluminum. Good news bad news. Good news, it runs. Tumbles, has high/low heat and all that. Bad news, I wrapped the wire harness back up with electrical tape same as factory had it, decided to run it through its paces a bit and feel the wiring since there was an obvious meltdown leading up to this issue. The bundle is getting hot.

Can't really figure that one out unless it's the thinner gauge replacement wire on the fuse. The 20a fuse didn't blow, didn't trip the breaker (wall outlet). So it doesn't appear to be pulling too much juice, just too much in a specific area and not sure the cause of it. I didn't run it for hours and to be fair I don't have reference to how warm the wiring felt originally when it was working new. All I know is after maybe 10min or so on 'high' the wiring feels hotter than I'm comfortable with. Not burning my fingers, but definitely incredibly warm (enough to make electrical tape gooey with the adhesive).

So for now don't feel safe buttoning it back up. Especially since typical max dry times on this thing being a 110v dryer is 3hrs.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Felt rough last night. Had gotten my work done in about three hours. Went round asking if others needed help. They give me all they had needing help. Got that done.

Then, went and wiped down all the locker faces in the school's hallways. Went back out to the agriculture building, double checked a class where there had been lingerers. It was still only around eight twenty.

All I could really do was set in our break room as they wrapped up their work. Fellow come over from working in the annex. He told me to not feel bad if I'd gotten done early and just sat.

Easily said, harder for me to do. Also realized the job for what it is, is a dead end. Sure I can go get more education. I'm paid a bit more for doing so. But if I don't use what I learn, what's the point?

And there's no advancing really. Might get bumped to custodian IV. All that entails is doing inventory, maybe a dollar or two more an hour. It's still not any harder work. You still do custodian III stuff also.

Sure I get "job security" that you have to go clean daily. It still feels like being Sisyphus. Also mentioned to my wife, "gee, we got no kids here." Doubt we will either, ever. So that kind of lowers the stakes really.

So yeah, felt rough as hell. Sat on my ass doing nothing because I worked myself out of work, got paid for it. Not used to that, being paid to do nothing. Figure there's likely a lot more of it going to come. Yes, I "get" I'm paid to "be available". It still seems like paid to do nothing.

Told my wife maybe I'll get fired for doing too good. Wouldn't surprise me. "Hey Ben, this job, it's just not for you. You do too good at it. There's no challenge for you and so we have to let you go." "Ah, figures."

Even if that's not the case, struggling to see me doing this for 15 more years.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Not used to that, being paid to do nothing. figure there's likely a lot more of it going to come. Yes, I "get" I'm paid to "be available". It still seems like paid to do nothing.

Doing IT Contracting that happens all the time to me. Arrive on site and at some point someone isn't ready or parts did not arrive yet and I am paid to sit and wait. Time is Money though so it never bothers me. We call it SOMA Pay.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
SOMA Pay.

Ah, was going to ask but then got it. Sit On My Ass pay.

Well, yes it's "gravy" or "icing" but I've not had work ever that allowed for it. And was always brought up if your on somebody else's nickle you work. But then too, if there's nothing left to do what do you do? I mean shit, people get fed up with me going and doing "busy" work. "Hey Ben, we know you're just having fun but um, stop it. Go kick rocks. You making us look bad here."

You laugh but you know it's the truth.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Ah, was going to ask but then got it. Sit On My Ass pay.

Well, yes it's "gravy" or "icing" but I've not had work ever that allowed for it. And was always brought up if your on somebody else's nickle you work. But then too, if there's nothing left to do what do you do? I mean shit, people get fed up with me going and doing "busy" work. "Hey Ben, we know you're just having fun but um, stop it. Go kick rocks. You making us look bad here."

One time myself and 2 other guys were sitting around waiting for the go ahead to complete a Video Wall install. We went had Dinner and and then went to our vehicles to relax took the Project Director 3 hours to get us back to work. That is one of the reasons I never do flat rate jobs or if I do it has a limit to how much time the flat fee covers. After that it is hourly and that is in the contract.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
One time myself and 2 other guys were sitting around waiting for the go ahead to complete a Video Wall install. We went had Dinner and and then went to our vehicles to relax took the Project Director 3 hours to get us back to work. That is one of the reasons I never do flat rate jobs or if I do it has a limit to how much time the flat fee covers. After that it is hourly and that is in the contract.

Well that's no count for me. I'm on a County job. Right now I'm just lowly substitute custodian. That means if some custodian calls off, I go work. Otherwise no work, no pay.

My best hope? Get on full time. That gives a steady schedule, benefits, a pension plan. Don't get me wrong, all good things sure. But I'm still struggling to see doing it until retiring.

Once it's set that I'm making others look bad just by doing my job, well then it'll be a fight. Don't want that either. But again what do you do? Ah, just STFU and and enjoy the SOMA pay. Ah, duh .... Again, that's just not me either.

:headbang::deadhorse:

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Ah, just STFU and and enjoy the SOMA pay.

That is always the best game plan~! Reminds me of a time the company sent 2 different techs to a site and the other guy was a winner for sure. I get there and he has my printer parts and has opened the boxes with his stuff all over the floor. He starts asking how to do his job and I had to say sorry I have my own work to do and if the PM tells me to give you a hand I will be glad to help. Called in and updated the PM on the situation and went to work. A short while later the manager comes over to me and asks me WTF is with this other tech? I had to politely say I am not his boss and I have no comment.

After a little bit my phone rings and the PM asks if I will take the other Work Order the kid was working on because the manager is PISSED. I told them sure I just hope I can find all the screws since they were all over the florr when I went for my parts.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
So after lunch it was a dreary cloudy day so I went to Home Depot and picked up 25 bags of Red Mulch for the flower beds. Stack of 5 behind the pile~!

1618338886813.png

It was workout for sure~!

Synphul

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Well I haven't given up completely on this turd yet. I hate throwing good money after bad, dunking $40-50 and end up having to replace a $300 dryer anyway. Also don't want to throw in the towel and for $10 more could've saved $300.

That original fuse (listed as being for or compatible with my dryer specifically) just threw up red flags. Not the least of which cause it was off ebay, but was the only one coming up in search for my unit. Got the fuse, the leads were a bit short. Whatever, I can make it work. The thinner wire gauge and no markings on the insulation bugged me. The original was thicker and had markings, almost all wiring should have electrical markings. UL or RU or whatever it is, gauge, voltage, temp etc. This one had squat.

Found a set on amazon that looks like it may work. $12 for 10 of them plus 150 various fuses including 20a fast blow which is what I'm after. The photos look like the wire's marked, 16ga (what I'm after), 600v etc. Hoping my only issue with the heating up of the fuse leads is due to undersized wiring on the janky replacement.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Well I haven't given up completely on this turd yet. I hate throwing good money after bad, dunking $40-50 and end up having to replace a $300 dryer anyway. Also don't want to throw in the towel and for $10 more could've saved $300.

That original fuse (listed as being for or compatible with my dryer specifically) just threw up red flags. Not the least of which cause it was off ebay, but was the only one coming up in search for my unit. Got the fuse, the leads were a bit short. Whatever, I can make it work. The thinner wire gauge and no markings on the insulation bugged me. The original was thicker and had markings, almost all wiring should have electrical markings. UL or RU or whatever it is, gauge, voltage, temp etc. This one had squat.

Found a set on amazon that looks like it may work. $12 for 10 of them plus 150 various fuses including 20a fast blow which is what I'm after. The photos look like the wire's marked, 16ga (what I'm after), 600v etc. Hoping my only issue with the heating up of the fuse leads is due to undersized wiring on the janky replacement.
Try the place I gave you a link to for OEM Parts.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
So out at the compost bin my phone rings and I dropped it on the Patio Stones~! Picked it up and screen is shattered~! OMFG~! Take off the Zagg Glass Curve Screen Protector and my phone is fine~! WOOSH

Heart stopped because this phone was close to a grand~! Off to take a ride out East tomorrow for a replacement.

Synphul

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
So out at the compost bin my phone rings and I dropped it on the Patio Stones~! Picked it up and screen is shattered~! OMFG~! Take off the Zagg Glass Curve Screen Protector and my phone is fine~! WOOSH

Heart stopped because this phone was close to a grand~! Off to take a ride out East tomorrow for a replacement.
Got lucky! Guy I worked with on a tow truck, he had literally just picked up his new phone. Some motorolla smart phone, was like $850 or $900. Only had the phone maybe 3hrs? Tucked it into the front pocket of his tshirt, then leaned over to pick something up off the ground. He's a taller guy, around 6'4, 6'5 but I bet he was only about 2ft off the ground when it slipped out and landed right on the corner. Shattered the screen. He had insurance on it which I assumed covered the phone. He still had to pay like $150 out of pocket. He picked up one of those otter boxes when he picked up the replacement.

Glad it was just your protector that took the brunt. I tried checking that site you gave me but without much luck. I think if it was a major brand like ge, whirlpool or something it would go smoother. This model was 'made by' (or stamped) 'sonya'. Like other chinese stuff, looks like one company is actually making them and another is coming along slapping their names on it. So not really sure who 'makes' it. Other brands with almost identical builds, panda, magic chef, black and decker, aicook, sentern and a few others. And doubt any of them are actually building these things. Same basic shell, slight difference in control location but identical controls, same filters, likely same or similar tumbler size. Motor label says 'CiXi Shunda Industrial Co.'.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Last night I felt my back a little bit and today it is sore as all get go~! Not really pain more like workout soreness.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Not sore today. Last night left knee hurt from arthritis. Took some acetaminophen & worked through it. Took another dose this morning to simply knock the cool of morning & aches it brings.

Still weighing pros and cons of taking it on full time. Aside from a nice pay check I'm not seeing any great benefits. Been told you really cannot get fired from the job once you have it. Of course, there's the monotony of it every day/night.

No advancing involved so it really is a dead end job. The pro being you just have to "show up and do the work". You don't need to worry about really improving because there's not really any need, or any way to "improve". If that was the case we might get something like a Kaivac.

The school board has made it obvious they're not interested in doing any better. Can understand though the Kaivacs are costly for sure. Still think they would pay themselves off quickly in savings of labor required. Then, again I'm not a "planner" but a "doer" & I don't don't see everything "on the other side of the glass".

That seems a con too. Not having communication. There's stuff I was given to see but only see. It's stuff you gain access to once full time. Tried accessing it as I thought I had access. Took emailing the head secretary of my my "big" boss to find out it is for full time only. Nobody communicated that.

The employer keeps employees like mushrooms. So yes, that's a big con. I like knowing stuff related to my work, it lets me work without distraction, anxiety, confusion. Employers not communicating leads to frustrated employees.

Then, a pro being some of that stuff I tried accessing is for adult education. Being the employer is "wired in" as an educator for the state, there's generous help in getting employees educated. That could merit some benefit, although you're still facing "if I get educated but don't use it" paradox.

Kind of can answer that for myself though. If you get educated and don't use it, that's on you. Why else would you choose getting educated but to better yourself for better work? My trouble being I'm not seeing where this can lead to better work. Still I could educate for a different field and spring board into something better.

Yet time is a factor too. I got fifteen years and don't see getting educated in time to find something better. It might happen but I'm just not seeing how it could. Again, a doer here so I may be short sighted. And no, I don't want to "go through the glass". Sorry, that's not for me.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
So I broke a Beer Bottle yesterday and thought I got all the pieces. Stepped on one last night. A tiny piece and no big deal but it is right below the big toe and wasn't bothering me but as it is healing DAMN this is hurting when I walk.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Think I'll refrain commenting further. Going beyond the topological, I'm doing well seems problematic. You all can then figure no news is good news from my end. Not going to keep repeating, "I'm doing well."

Synphul

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Sucks when age starts to creep up. Worked in the garden a bit. No pics just yet but got the sides of the raised tomato planter up. My original plan was the fence boards are 6ft. So if I arranged the plastic halves of the tub just under 6ft, I could sandwich the thin plastic between the pickets for the sides and the stakes driven into the ground. Go to place my 6ft boards and doh. Like an inch and a half or two inches shy. And the bucket halves are already screwed to the uprights.

Used slighter wider like 3-4" wide stakes for the corners and a thin strip of wood behind the plastic edges to fasten them to the stakes. Stakes wide enough to take up the gap and screw to the 6ft boards. Made it work. Used to working with thicker 2x material so usually just use the impact and run torx screws in. Working with this thinner cedar it splits so damn easy. Pre drilling all the holes as I go. A couple extra braces at the bottom of the uprights is all that's really needed. Now just have to fill it with dirt. Need to pile some up around the outside to shore up the gaps where the ground is uneven, keep the planter dirt from spilling out. Felt a little flimsy at first until I figured out how to use the scrap pieces and secure the edges of the buckets to the side rails. Luckily took care of it, pretty rigid. I wouldn't stand or sit on the edge of it or anything, but should be plenty to hold dirt in the planter.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I ordered a couple of Giant Blueberry Plants for Mom and a couple of Resin Stone Colored Planters. Planning on putting them on the back patio.

1618486486265.png

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I bought a couple of bags of Topsoil for them and if necessary I have some dirt behind the shed if I need more. Now waiting for the plants to get here. Never bought plants online so hoping they get here fast. The planters came in less than 2 days from Amazon.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Crappy rainy weather here today. Had a phone Interview this morning that went well so now the waiting but I just move on and if I hear back I hear back.

ajvapes

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
I have suffered from chronic pain fora longtime, plus all my old injuries have caught up to me. Funny what age does....

VU Sponsors