SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
coffee-good-morning.gif

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Yeah it's crazy, if I try to tag you by the time I get to the "e" in Steve about ten different members pop up and when I try @DaBunny about 5 show up at first till I get her full name in. I hope I am explaining it enough to make sense

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Y.e.ah, other members show up but with Dianne nothing comes up. You come up though. Yeah, even @vaperjoe or @tyger don't post here.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Posting to talk facts of work. Seems the assistant department head over me is doing things which cause drama for others. Monday night, I had enough of him doing it to me.

Roughly 11:30 - 11:55 I ducked into the cafeteria. I had a bin of trash to take up to the docks, left. I can clock out around 12:25 or so for a 12:30 ending shift. Had been running trash, inside, outside all night with him.

Needed a hot coffee. Got done with that. Took my trash up, went to locker room and started changing to street clothes. Time to go home was nearing, others do likewise.

He phones, gets flat out bitchy about me taking five minutes. Told him, "we get 45 for lunch, 15 otherwise. I hadn't taken any real breaks except lunch." He went on, saying it was still time I could have been productive.

Then he goes into a whining tirade about all he has left to do. Asks me to clear a section before I leave. Reluctantly I agree, text wife I'll be out as soon as I can.

He then meets me in the hall with a bin of trash. He had asked me to get cardboard out of its bin. I had done. He didn't ask for the lab trash pulled. I even asked for clarification twice at least, "just the cardboard?" That was fine.

So here he stood with a direct challenge. "You're not doing your work."

"I did as instructed."

"You should have known, .."

"I asked for clarification, told it was fine. Figured I understood, just the cardboard."

"But here's, .."

"I don't care."

"Clock out and go home."

I did. This isn't the first or only thing he's "pulled". I'm "backing off", I'm just there to "show up, shut up, work, go home, get paid." The extra work he whined about isn't my responsibility. I had regular work he said was fine to miss Monday night, to run trash with him.

Want to lay odds how that'll be used to say I'm not doing my work? Again, I asked for clarification, two or three times, did as instructed by someone who is in authority of me.

So yep, my saying I didn't care was a rejection of being made his wind up doll. Don't care if it pisses him off. I'm just there to do the work, not be his circus. And he'll need to justify it to the dept head, dept head lets it ride it'll go to his boss. Eventually, they can work out why they lose good workers, or not. I don't care.

No, not quitting. As far as known, not fired either. Only stating I don't care to be made into a toy while I work. Not going to let it happen anymore. If it gets me fired, so it'll be, rather not, but there are other jobs.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Well, ...

Got into work today. Got called to the department head's office. Department head was not there. The assistant guy though told me I was to leave badge and key, leave the premises.

I had clocked in. I didn't clock out, left the badge required for that on the desk. My wife told me earlier, "oh well, that's on them."

Took me a bit to even acknowledge he had said anything. He reinstated my work quality as sub par, and I had gotten aggressively emotional with him. He explained HR would be looped in, I'd get a letter. Furthermore, he was terminating me.

My work quality in all likelihood did suffer. He continually had me doing everything but my work to cover for short handedness. Then, turned it on me. Tsk, dumb, dumb, me.

Told him I wanted it all in writing and asked if there was recourse for me with arbitration or aside from it. He said HR would be in touch. I've been numb all day since, applied for a couple other spots, a few paying more.

"Show up, shut up, Trust & talk to none, do best you can to do assigned work, go home, get paid." That's my new mantra and working motto. If I'm asked why I don't talk at work. "Prefer working. Thanks."

Not speaking negative of the employer. Not disrespecting this guy's position. Will say this guy as himself through his words and actions has guided me back a decade into misanthropy. Can respect his position, doesn't mean I need to respect him as a person.

Looking at it, I feel having been played. I ought to have known better, done better. He had the "authority" however and used it to advantage. I'm sure many here know the type. Dumb me for getting blindsided.

Last edited:

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Well, ...

Got into work today. Got called to the department head's office. Department head was not there. The assistant guy though told me I was to leave badge and key, leave the premises.

I had clocked in. I didn't clock out, left the badge required for that on the desk. My wife told me earlier, "oh well, that's on them."

Took me a bit to even acknowledge he had said anything. He reinstated my work quality as sub par, and I had gotten aggressively emotional with him. He explained HR would be looped in, I'd get a letter. Furthermore, he was terminating me.

My work quality in all likelihood did suffer. He continually had me doing everything but my work to cover for short handedness. Then, turned it on me. Tsk, dumb, dumb, me.

Told him I wanted it all in writing and asked if there was recourse for me with arbitration or aside from it. He said HR would be in touch. I've been numb all day since, applied for a couple other spots, a few paying more.

"Show up, shut up, Trust & talk to none, do best you can to do assigned work, go home, get paid." That's my new mantra and working motto. If I'm asked why I don't talk at work. "Prefer working. Thanks."

Not speaking negative of the employer. Not disrespecting this guy's position. Will say this guy as himself through his words and actions has guided me back a decade into misanthropy. Can respect his position, doesn't mean I need to respect him as a person.

Looking at it, I feel having been played. I ought to have known better, done better. He had the "authority" however and used it to advantage. I'm sure many here know the type. Dumb me for getting blindsided.

Does this guy actually have the Authority to fire you? Reading this I am sorry to hear it didn't work out, but remember I was telling you not to resign the last place?

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Well, ...

Don't let this get you down my friend, you did your best, that place just wasn't right for you.
All things happen for a reason, maybe you'll find something much better.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Does this guy actually have the Authority to fire you? Reading this I am sorry to hear it didn't work out, but remember I was telling you not to resign the last place?

Not sure considering he is "contracted" worker. I'm still waiting on hearing from someone from / in HR. Going to call in morning again. Nothing resolved by end of Friday, I'm hoping a bus over & speaking with someone in HR, Monday.

Yes, I know you said to not resign. Had no choice. Hospital wouldn't hire unless I was "free". They had a "conflict of interest" clause barring already employed folks coming to work for them.

Got to looking at some of the paperwork passed out from the hospital during orientation. Could actually say what this guy did was harassment. Of course, I'm sure he'll lie like a rug and pile it all on me.

<Joking about half> Going to start wearing a wire to work. Only one consenting adult needs awareness of recording in WV. Get stuff recorded, documented, people will stop fooling with me.</Joking about half>

<Opinion> Apologies, just seems "the world we live in now", has made it piss poor for anyone actually wanting to work, to actually work. "Oh hail great modernism!" </Opinion>

Last edited:

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Don't let this get you down my friend, you did your best, that place just wasn't right for you.
All things happen for a reason, maybe you'll find something much better.

I'm trying to not let him go any further. He had the audacity to phone earlier. It was not even a hospital number come up on ID. It read Camden Clark URL. He stated he had "talked with HR" and effective immediately I was terminated.

"Sorry it didn't work out, buddy, wish you the best."

"Uh huh."

"Well Ben, that's why I called, so you knew."

"I'll wait and let HR themselves present it to me. Recall, I asked for it in writing. My wife works for the Unemployment agency and Workforce. Hope the writing explains the reason/s I was terminated clearly for her."

"Oh, um she does?"

"Yes, have a good one, 'buddy'." *click*

Minor Update: Wife just come to our "office". "Wood County BOE needs a Custodian III. It's full time, Elementary School. Go get it!"

No, it is not a substitute position. It is a full time spot.

Mental note to self, stop divulging fireman and damage control jargon to wife while sleeping. Further note to self, "sleep, Hell, what's that?"

Last edited:

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Phoned HR. Lady what answered said she got my message, forwarded it to another lady. The other lady, Tony---, will need to "reach out" to me on her own. She's an "HR business partner".

Texted with wife.

"Well, maybe you can at least keep the job," she wrote.

"Really worth it if you have to blackmail employers with possible harassment suit," I asked.

She didn't respond, I'm understanding of that as well.

"Anyway, maybe 'just talking through it' will let me stay on, don't know. Not too concerned. Have learned now D.T.A., duck my head, do my assigned bit, go home end of shift. Pay is all direct deposit now, you get yer money, I get to sleep," I told her.

What'll be, will be. Got applications in a few places. Took off looking/applying today to do some housework, just clear my head. Will keep on until I find comparable work, "show up, shut up, do work, go home, wash rinse, repeat, .."

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Phoned HR. Lady what answered said she got my message, forwarded it to another lady. The other lady, Tony---, will need to "reach out" to me on her own. She's an "HR business partner".

Texted with wife.

"Well, maybe you can at least keep the job," she wrote.

"Really worth it if you have to blackmail employers with possible harassment suit," I asked.

She didn't respond, I'm understanding of that as well.

"Anyway, maybe 'just talking through it' will let me stay on, don't know. Not too concerned. Have learned now D.T.A., duck my head, do my assigned bit, go home end of shift. Pay is all direct deposit now, you get yer money, I get to sleep," I told her.

What'll be, will be. Got applications in a few places. Took off looking/applying today to do some housework, just clear my head. Will keep on until I find comparable work, "show up, shut up, do work, go home, wash rinse, repeat, .."

I am thinking that in a big Company like a Hospital it would take more than one thing to lose a job. Businesses usually have a 3 Strike type of thing starting with a Verbal Warning and then a Write Up until you have 3 Documented things.

I hope it works out to your benefit~! And if you need you can get a Body Cam and record all your interactions with this Dumbass~!

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I am thinking that in a big Company like a Hospital it would take more than one thing to lose a job. Businesses usually have a 3 Strike type of thing starting with a Verbal Warning and then a Write Up until you have 3 Documented things.

I hope it works out to your benefit~! And if you need you can get a Body Cam and record all your interactions with this Dumbass~!

Possibly so, regarding the three strike thing and "write-ups". The wife even suggested there might have been a "coaching" disciplinary action as well.

Though, if he took my "aggressive emotional outbursts" as "threats", or to have gone against "workplace violence" policy, ...

Which, as I told him on the 25th, if he has even done half he alleges doing then, he would have not taken any of my comments as "aggressive" at all. Yes, I was using dark humor. Hospitals, EMS, Law Enforcement, Military all use dark humor to couch the harsh realities we face. He deliberately read a different context into it.

Truth be told, I heard my Pap's voice the night of the 24th. I was stern, clear, and spoken only loud enough to be heard clearly in the short corridor he and I stood in. I told him I didn't care. In so doing, I also told him I was aware he was "winding me up" and I was not taking it any longer. And I think that right there is what sent him into terminating me, he realized I'd broken his control.

Heard in a movie, or rough situation once. "Never better your betters!" And the guy it just was shouted at looks up and calmly says, "Well sir, show me my betters, then." The calm guy turned and walked off. Think me and this guy came to such a situation and I "told" him to show me. Think what one will of his actions after that. I know my own thoughts and will refrain from conveying them, think it's likely my thoughts are patently clear anyway.

He phoned me while I was in the locker room dressing back out to go home, Other employees do likewise as the time to clock out draws near. What I was doing was not "out of line". He asked me to get an area before I left. I texted my wife to let her know I'd be just a little longer. While on the call with him, he whined like a beaten pup over "all the other stuff" he had to do, and hinted I ought to stay and help.

Not my responsibility to cover six or eight people, we're short. Not my responsibility to hire, train, retain good workers. It's not my obligation to take "voluntary" overtime. So, sure I would have cleared the area for a few minutes running behind to go home. I had intended on doing so until he came at me challenging and would not admit possible miscommunication. "You're not doing your work," he said. My thought, "Gee, how can I when you have me doing half a dozen other people's work and all the while saying it's fine mine isn't done."

Me & wife have agreed, at this point it is simply, wait and see. Excuse me, simply trying to not think on it much more, or "ruminate". Got four other applications out for work within a day of the alleged termination. Kind of getting psyched up to enjoy other work if able, or if able go back to the hospital. I've already vowed to myself, if I go back, minimal, concise, highly professional interaction with that person only and only with someone else present.

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon

Big companies also often have probationary periods at the beginning of a person's employment, during which time they can terminate for any reason whatsoever.

I think once one is past the age of 40 or so, it's just really difficult to be new at a job. We have much less tolerance for bullshit.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Big companies also often have probationary periods at the beginning of a person's employment, during which time they can terminate for any reason whatsoever.

I think once one is past the age of 40 or so, it's just really difficult to be new at a job. We have much less tolerance for bullshit.

Yes, I forgot about that also~! But it seems unusual to me at least that a department head has the authority to just fire someone like he did. I would assume he has to check with his superiors or report the incident. With this guys actions it probably isn't an isolated occurrence.

Just my 2 bits~!

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
So this morning I wake up to that annoying Beeping every few minutes~! Took me an hour and a half to finally find out where it was coming from~! LMFAO~! I had to pull all the Smoke, Fire and CO2 Detectors down to have them sitting next to me so I could find out which one it was~! Every time I would think I found it the sound came from behind me~!

giphy.gif

gopher_byrd

Cranky Old Fart
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
So this morning I wake up to that annoying Beeping every few minutes~! Took me an hour and a half to finally find out where it was coming from~! LMFAO~! I had to pull all the Smoke, Fire and CO2 Detectors down to have them sitting next to me so I could find out which one it was~! Every time I would think I found it the sound came from behind me~!

giphy.gif
I went through that a month or two ago. Pulled down all of my smoke detectors, changed the batteries and still got beeps. I had forgot about the CO2 detectors. One was not really plugged in well to the socket. Once I figured it out and changed it's batteries (2xAA) all was quiet.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years

Could possibly be it regarding probationary time.

Stopped tolerating bullshit even earlier in life. Wife told me though to not directly challenge his authority. Tried to not. Self dignity and respect would only tolerate so much, though, and he foisted the challenge.

Yes, dumb of me to stick my foot in the trap, maybe. Malicious of him to even be putting traps out, given the place has this whole rosy cheeked code of ethics. That probably let him use subterfuge to blindside me.

Guarantee, next time a boss type tells me to listen to only them, I'm clearly and boldly saying "Sure Mr. Jones, I'll just clear it with HR first."

In more positive news. :) I got to spend a little time with my boy Maow today. He and Liam are both still doing well down outside of Ripley. We got a few more things to bring up. Picked up grocery order from Wal-Mart up here. Shopped Wal-Mart in Ripley for a few things we somewhat needed.

Got a medium-sized Roku television. We really didn't it, but both agreed it was just something nice we could use as a little "candy bar" reward. Still about half unpacking. We got some stuff from Lowe's coming Monday.

I see the kidney doctor on Tuesday. I'm hopeful of still doing, at least holding the course regarding that. Roughly a block to two blocks away is a Pizza Hut & B&M vape shop. Thinking if worse came to it, I could hop a bus and work at either, or, or both to have at least modest income.

Chr-- estimates we each need at minimum $25k annual to hold where we are. Job market as it is, seems you can ask your wage and get it (write your own ticket). Although, age brings experience, it also curses one with going slow. Finding I've drastically slowed. All this damn concrete. It kills my heels, even if I do walk more on the balls of my feet.

Osteopenia & osteoarthritis are a concern for me as well. If I sit more than five minutes, it takes me ten to stand and be able to walk, if stiffly staggering can be called that. Would love to shave off thirty years.

"Get up cowboy, you ain't hurt nor done yet!"

Last edited:

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
Could possibly be it regarding probationary time.

Stopped tolerating bullshit even earlier in life. Wife told me though to not directly challenge his authority. Tried to not. Self dignity and respect would only tolerate so much, though, and he foisted the challenge.

Yes, dumb of me to stick my foot in the trap, maybe. Malicious of him to even be putting traps out, given the place has this whole rosy cheeked code of ethics. That probably let him use subterfuge to blindside me.

Guarantee, next time a boss type tells me to listen to only them, I'm clearly and boldly saying "Sure Mr. Jones, I'll just clear it with HR first."

In more positive news. :) I got to spend a little time with my boy Maow today. He and Liam are both still doing well down outside of Ripley. We got a few more things to bring up. Picked up grocery order from Wal-Mart up here. Shopped Wal-Mart in Ripley for a few things we somewhat needed.

Got a medium-sized Roku television. We really didn't it, but both agreed it was just something nice we could use as a little "candy bar" reward. Still about half unpacking. We got some stuff from Lowe's coming Monday.

I see the kidney doctor on Tuesday. I'm hopeful of still doing, at least holding the course regarding that. Roughly a block to two blocks away is a Pizza Hut & B&M vape shop. Thinking if worse came to it, I could hop a bus and work at either, or, or both to have at least modest income.

Chr-- estimates we each need at minimum $25k annual to hold where we are. Job market as it is, seems you can ask your wage and get it (write your own ticket). Although, age brings experience, it also curses one with going slow. Finding I've drastically slowed. All this damn concrete. It kills my heels, even if I do walk more on the balls of my feet.

Osteopenia & osteoarthritis are a concern for me as well. If I sit more than five minutes, it takes me ten to stand and be able to walk, if stiffly staggering can be called that. Would love to shave off thirty years.

"Get up cowboy, you ain't hurt nor done yet!"

Is the TV you bought a TCL brand Roku TV? We have several of them, and they are great, especially for the price. Also there is a Roku app you can get from the Play store that allows you to use your phone as a TV remote. Has some neat features, like remote listening.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Is the TV you bought a TCL brand Roku TV? We have several of them, and they are great, especially for the price. Also there is a Roku app you can get from the Play store that allows you to use your phone as a TV remote. Has some neat features, like remote listening.

No, we went with WalMart subsidy Omn / Ohn brand. Yep, got Roku app on both our phones to use as back up remotes. The television brand we got seems okay. Not unboxed it yet. *chuckles* Kind of being in limbo until Monday

I unboxed the $10 coffee maker "Mainstays" brand I bought yesterday. Pretty simple thing, put in water, coffee, flip the switch and let the element heat water. Flip the switch, it ought to work. "Umm, hmm, fuck." *empties coffee maker, boxes it back up*

And for all you weise Esel, yes it got plugged in. De da dee. Simple machine that either works or don't. Not working, just give me back the $10 and take the thing back. Only bought it for ease. I percolate a full twelve cup pot what takes me three to five days to get through on a range, using a glass pot. Nice to have had a simple 2-5 cup maker for just a day's worth of coffee at a time. Oh, well, I'll just keep on keeping on. Not like I much taste coffee anyway.

By the by, my new local B&M. Seems a decent shop so far. He saw my thunder creations squonk, shook his head. "I'm not selling you anything, am I?" I chuckled and browsed anyway. Actually saw a little 2 ml pod style device the wife took a keen to. Might even get her to vape. *chuckles* I did buy some "Berg" juice off him, menthol in a 75 ml "gorilla" bottle at 6 mg nicotine. He talked as though, if I asked, he might deal a bit to get me 18 mg juices, or really most anything. *grin*

The place is a "head" shop. He explained it started as vaping, but kind of grew out to that. He had some *clearing throat* hemp incense burning. Watched my wife get a bit clamy, and she never got a migraine, he read what I was watching, nodded and moved the stuff to a different area of the shop without an ask. He was the shop's owner. Good to see real people up here.

Me and her had some talk last night, too. Got something personal sorted out and am going to strive toward better in that facet of life. Damn bullheadedness at times. Learning the adage behind every great man, a greater woman, is very true. Would be lost, I say.

Think I've finally decided on giving up watching WWE stuff anymore. Well, reckon i go piddle. Run 'er slow.

VU Sponsors