Become a Patron!

We love cats

MrMeowgi

The Vapin' Drummer
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Do his eyes constrict under bright light?

Has he been checked for hyperthyroidism? It's very common, but treatable.
Try the 'ol flashlight test..if the pupils don't go to slits right away, ya got problems.

Tiki got those 'big eyes' too from the high blood pressure forcing her eyes to be like that....she ended up nearly blind and had cataracts... :(
Oh shit I didn't know that. He was a stray at my wife's job. As a suprise to us he pi ked the cat up and took him to 5he vet for a ball cutting and a checkup. Said he was in good shape for being a stray. Possibly was homed somewhere else before but is really dumb at a litter box. Scratches the outside of it. And the walls. And everything that's not litter. . But I'll definitely get him back into the vet next week to have him checked out better. Thanks for the heads up. I'd never heard of that. I just thought it was Puss in Boots cousin. Lol

Sent from a pile of wood chips

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Damn where do you live? 15f suckssssss. We get there sometimes in NC but usually 20s are as low as it goes

Easten WA state...cold is normal part of winter here.
I'm like 20mi from Idaho and 100-ish from Canada.

Grok this forecast: Snow is soon m8....

Snap1200.jpg

Winter storm warning too...

...STRONG EARLY SEASON STORM FRIDAY TO BRING POTENTIAL FOR
MODERATE TO HEAVY SNOW...

...WINTER STORM WATCH REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM FRIDAY AFTERNOON
THROUGH LATE FRIDAY NIGHT ABOVE 2000 FEET...

* WHAT...HEAVY SNOW POSSIBLE ABOVE 2000 FEET WITH 3 TO 6 INCHES
POSSIBLE. 1 TO 3 INCHES POSSIBLE BELOW 2000 FEET.

* WHERE...COEUR D'ALENE, POST FALLS, HAYDEN, WORLEY, SPOKANE,
AIRWAY HEIGHTS, CHENEY, DAVENPORT, ROCKFORD, AND FAIRFIELD.

* WHEN...FROM FRIDAY AFTERNOON THROUGH LATE FRIDAY NIGHT.

* IMPACTS...TRAVEL COULD BE VERY DIFFICULT INCLUDING THE FRIDAY
EVENING COMMUTE. HEAVY WET SNOW MAY LEAD TO BROKEN TREE LIMBS
AND POWER OUTAGES.

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Oh shit I didn't know that. He was a stray at my wife's job. As a suprise to us he pi ked the cat up and took him to 5he vet for a ball cutting and a checkup. Said he was in good shape for being a stray. Possibly was homed somewhere else before but is really dumb at a litter box. Scratches the outside of it. And the walls. And everything that's not litter. . But I'll definitely get him back into the vet next week to have him checked out better. Thanks for the heads up. I'd never heard of that. I just thought it was Puss in Boots cousin. Lol

This a wall of text article, but quite comprehensive. How old is he??

DO try the flashlight test first...to see if his pupils can still constrict, if not, he needs help ASAP.

The clumsiness at the litter box is telling too, does he display a general clumsiness or stumbling??

I'd thought Tiki was like 6-8yo, turns out she was closer to 16yo...near the end she was fully dilated all the time with zero pupil reponse and had cataracts making her near blind. I hope it's not that bad for him, but early treatment is a must to save his vision if it *is* a condition. Simple blood tests and an ocular exam should find the cause if your Vet is competent. ;)

His eyes appear to be still clear and not clouded though, that's a good thing. :)

If ya look at the pic of Tiki on the cushion, you can see her eyes are clouded and even with the bright sunlight, they don't constrict.

Last edited:

MrMeowgi

The Vapin' Drummer
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Easten WA state...cold is normal part of winter here.
I'm like 20mi from Idaho and 100-ish from Canada.

Grok this forecast: Snow is soon m8....

View attachment 171691

Winter storm warning too...
Man I can't even like that one. Snow is my arch enemy being a 20yr landscaper. Fuck some snow. And we don't even get a real snow. But I'll be damned if 4 inches won't shut NC down for days.

MrMeowgi

The Vapin' Drummer
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years

DO try the flashlight test first...to see if his pupils can still constrict, if not, he needs help ASAP.

The clumsiness at the litter box is telling too, does he display a general clumsiness or stumbling??

I'd thought Tiki was like 6-8yo, turns out she was closer to 16yo...near the end she was fully dilated all the time with zero pupil reponse and had cataracts making her near blind. I hope it's not that bad for him, but early treatment is a must to save his vision if it *is* a condition. Simple blood tests and an ocular exam should find the cause if your Vet is competent. ;)

His eyes appear to be still clear and not clouded though, that's a good thing. :)

If ya look at the pic of Tiki on the cushion, you can see her eyes are clouded and even with the bright sunlight, they don't constrict.
Thanks a lot for the info. I was never a cat person until about 4 or 5 years ago. Grew up with dogs. The wife had cats for years. I'll do some Google-fu this evening and check out some things. The litter box this is the only time he acts dumb or confused. We're thinking he's about 1 1/2 - 2 years old. Kind of a bad part that we didn't take him to the vet but her boss. Didn't get to ask questions. Thanks again for the info. Going searching now as my honey kitty climbs in my lap to lay down. Lol.
b6619d8136f29be7046f0d22d5e479ce.jpg

MrMeowgi

The Vapin' Drummer
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years

Wanted to update about his big ass eyeballs. Did the flashlight test and his pupils do shrink. So Yay kitty. I need to figure out a way to get him to quit peeing in the bathroom for teaching to use the toilet. Lol

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
Wanted to update about his big ass eyeballs. Did the flashlight test and his pupils do shrink. So Yay kitty. I need to figure out a way to get him to quit peeing in the bathroom for teaching to use the toilet. Lol

That's great news about his eyes, not so great about peeing. Maybe watch a few episodes of Jackson Galaxy's "My Cat From Hell" on demand on Animal Planet, if you can find them. Some of his episodes are about cats peeing to mark territory and he gives suggestions on how to get them to stop. Some cats get freaked out by having to share a litter box with another cat, for example, so a litter box just for him might take care of it.

MrMeowgi

The Vapin' Drummer
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
That's great news about his eyes, not so great about peeing. Maybe watch a few episodes of Jackson Galaxy's "My Cat From Hell" on demand on Animal Planet, if you can find them. Some of his episodes are about cats peeing to mark territory and he gives suggestions on how to get them to stop. Some cats get freaked out by having to share a litter box with another cat, for example, so a litter box just for him might take care of it.
Ahh Ok. That may be the problem. We have one that goes outside for the bathroom. Lol. He used to use the box and we had to switch litter one week. He's said he'll no and hasn't been back in the box since. So the male urine smell is a different one for us having just the other two girls.

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Man I can't even like that one. Snow is my arch enemy being a 20yr landscaper. Fuck some snow. And we don't even get a real snow. But I'll be damned if 4 inches won't shut NC down for days.

This is right now, I'm above 2,000 feet so we could get 3-7". Milly is freaking the fuck out running from one side of the Apt to the other looking out ALL of the windows..hehe.

IMG_0903.JPG

As the high temp is around 35, it'll become a giant slushy, then freeze again later...too many stoopid people still driving as if it's Summertime...SMH. It's not even REAL winter yet, damn morons.

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Milly is currently napping nearby, just out in the middle of the bed and seemed chilly.
So I gave her a t-shirt for a blanky. She allowed it and didn't try to eat it.

P1040629.JPG

She seems to prefer something I'd worn to an actual blanket. =)

MrMeowgi

The Vapin' Drummer
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Awwwe these kitties. New a guy. Had a coffee mug. Said "show me your kitties". Ha ha. Will always remember that one. Two boys. One fixed. One will be next week. My little honey kitty Harley may just have to stick to being a fake girl. We can't stop saying her and she. Although we try he just seems like a dainty female to me. Lol. Ol male Harley Quinn.
38cb1b40be564674ef2287f3efc94977.jpg

MrMeowgi

The Vapin' Drummer
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I think Milly has outgrown her beloved top perch on the cat tree...teehee.
She's a load of cat and it's only like 15" wide.

Rp7mwAN.jpg
Too funny. I can probably walk to my fat cat right now and she's asleep in the food. . Growing is a pita I'm guessing for them. She can barely scratch her back and gets rolled over like a turtle.
She guards her kitty fuel well that's for sure.
27c5e46f9e56754366cf24d406eecf36.jpg

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
Awwwe these kitties. New a guy. Had a coffee mug. Said "show me your kitties". Ha ha. Will always remember that one. Two boys. One fixed. One will be next week. My little honey kitty Harley may just have to stick to being a fake girl. We can't stop saying her and she. Although we try he just seems like a dainty female to me. Lol. Ol male Harley Quinn.
38cb1b40be564674ef2287f3efc94977.jpg

You might end up being glad that Harley is male. Seems like there are a lot fewer psycho male cats than females, especially after they're fixed. Just my own experience, though. The sweetest cats I've ever had have all been male.

MrMeowgi

The Vapin' Drummer
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
You might end up being glad that Harley is male. Seems like there are a lot fewer psycho male cats than females, especially after they're fixed. Just my own experience, though. The sweetest cats I've ever had have all been male.
Yea I know it'll be easier in the long run. Easier surgery for him. He's really sweet just feisty still. So it'll get better. Need a new nickname for him I guess. Honey kitty may not work anymore. ?

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
Yea I know it'll be easier in the long run. Easier surgery for him. He's really sweet just feisty still. So it'll get better. Need a new nickname for him I guess. Honey kitty may not work anymore. ?

lol "Boo boo" always works. :)

gadget!

"The Trader"
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU SWAT
VU Patreon
When my daughter was a little girl we got a male cat and told her she could name it.
She came up with "Bob Cat", I told her I liked that, "Bob the cat"
She immediately corrected me with, "it's not Bob the cat, it's Bobcat!" Just like it not Smokey the bear, it's "Smokey Bear"

Sent from a Galaxy far far away

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
When my daughter was a little girl we got a male cat and told her she could name it.
She came up with "Bob Cat", I told her I liked that, "Bob the cat"
She immediately corrected me with, "it's not Bob the cat, it's Bobcat!" Just like it not Smokey the bear, it's "Smokey Bear"

Sent from a Galaxy far far away

I call my Mo cat whatever comes into my mind, at least one of a collection of things, like Big Mo or just Big, or Biggity, or Mister Mo, or Ole Mo, or Mo-de-oh-doh, and he answers to all of them. Mitzi is usually either just Mitz or Ole Mitz. The funny thing with me is that I've realized over time that I use a different "voice" for each of them. I bet a lot of people who talk to their animals do that, and may or may not realize it.

gopher_byrd

Cranky Old Fart
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
I call my Mo cat whatever comes into my mind, at least one of a collection of things, like Big Mo or just Big, or Biggity, or Mister Mo, or Ole Mo, or Mo-de-oh-doh, and he answers to all of them. Mitzi is usually either just Mitz or Ole Mitz. The funny thing with me is that I've realized over time that I use a different "voice" for each of them. I bet a lot of people who talk to their animals do that, and may or may not realize it.
With our male cat Romeo the tone of voice is usually what are you up to now... Juliet doesn't get into trouble, but she sure lets us know when the dry food dish is showing just a little bit of silver.

MrMeowgi

The Vapin' Drummer
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
That's how Mr. Meowgi was born. Lol. My male cat Marvin's nicknames. Lok

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Milly beating the fuck outa the rawhide dog-toy I attached to her cat tree...she killed the OEM ones.

kJNXprI.jpg

A rare nice pic, she's being sleepy girl in the warm bedroom while I watch football in the cold LR, a smart cat. :D

4ts0Slx.jpg

She's so damn beautiful....even taken with a 2014 Moto-X camera.
No Photoshop. No fancy FX, nor a phone that'd cost more than my rent....just my kitteh. =)

Last edited:

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
A silly normal pic...just Milly sleeping on high on her cat tree.

IMG_20201114_130516.jpg

But, the neat part is just before that.

When I just had the notion to go hug her furriness up on there.

Only 6-8mos ago, I would've risked losing an eye to do that, but now I just wrapped my arms all around her and laid my head on her flank. She snapped up her head, merrrupped, looked at me and bopped me in the nose with her nose. Purring ensued.

IDK why she does that nose thing, but it's a thing she does now. I talked to her and petted her a bit then let her get back to sleeping.
A day in the life....ahhhh... :inlove:?

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
A silly normal pic...just Milly sleeping on high on her cat tree.

View attachment 173105

But, the neat part is just before that.

When I just had the notion to go hug her furriness up on there.

Only 6-8mos ago, I would've risked losing an eye to do that, but now I just wrapped my arms all around her and laid my head on her flank. She snapped up her head, merrrupped, looked at me and bopped me in the nose with her nose. Purring ensued.

IDK why she does that nose thing, but it's a thing she does now. I talked to her and petted her a bit then let her get back to sleeping.
A day in the life....ahhhh... :inlove:?

That head bump (or nose bopp, as you call it) is a special gesture of deference and regard for cats. She's decided you're the head feline of her tribe, and she's paying tribute to you.

Be flattered. It's a huge compliment for a cat to do that.

MrMeowgi

The Vapin' Drummer
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Had to sneak one in of my kitty man. Marvin. He's there waiting at the driveway when I get home from work. We adopted him when he was 8. That was 4 years ago. And through the numerous nicknames I've thrown out there. MrMeowgi was born.
Funny note. If you look he has a penis on his face. . My little dick head.
4192df6fb0918edd1df0b208f5fe548d.jpg

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Going through the phone deleting old pics and came across these that I'd saved:

ob4Zesel.jpg

HWgfc31l.jpg

These are the pics the Humane Society posted on what was then Maleficent's profile page.
And ya wonder why I *had* to have her. :D

Nov. 29th is our one-year Adoption Anniversary. She was just 14mos old then and about 7lbs.
How time flies and how far we've both come since eh? ?

Last edited:

Train

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Going through the phone deleting old pics and came across these that I'd saved:

ob4Zesel.jpg

HWgfc31l.jpg

These are the pics the Humane Society posted on what was then Maleficent's profile page.
And ya wonder why I *had* to have her. :D

Nov. 29th is our one-year Adoption Anniversary. She was just 14mos old then and about 7lbs.
How time flies and how far we've both come since eh? ?
I was looking for a kitty, saw this pic online for an adoption event.
tiny vader 1.jpg

I went, and was meeting kittehs, and I said - what about this lil guy? Where's he?"
oh, he's not out, because he's sick".
Took him home anyway. Lookit him now!

onscale.jpg

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Milly was in a good mood, so decided to weigh us today.

The EZ way: weigh both of us with me holding her, then let her go and check my weight alone and subtract. Sure beats trying keep a cat on a scale long enough to get a reading. ;)

milly_weight_11-19-2020.jpg

She lost half a pound and apparently gave it to me...plus extras...
t09034.gif
:gaah:

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
Milly was in a good mood, so decided to weigh us today.

The EZ way: weigh both of us with me holding her, then let her go and check my weight alone and subtract. Sure beats trying keep a cat on a scale long enough to get a reading. ;)

View attachment 173319

She lost half a pound and apparently gave it to me...plus extras...
t09034.gif
:gaah:

It's all that pizza you've been making and showing us on the Cooking thread! :)

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
My sort of TG dinner cooking... :D

Just made her up a 1/4lb primo batch of her food: hand-diced boneless pork chops, with her Alnutrin supplements, a capsule of CurcuVet-SA50, the required amount of liver, a bit of organic pumpkin for Vitamin A and digestion, and water. Nothing else.

That's enough food for 2-3 days depending on her.

She stalks the crap outa me while I'm making it..lol...literally dancing around when it's done. I swear she'd about climb me to get to it if I didn't get it to her post-haste.

KxlPCH2.jpg

ZMm8T6T.jpg

I spoil her, but it's for both of our futures being happy and healthy too.

Last edited:

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Nice to see Mother Earth News still exists, birth parents got the magazine back in the 70s along with Prevention and Organic Gardening. :)

IMO, this is the first place to go to learn healthy things for cats: https://catinfo.org/

This is what I use for Milly's Raw Diet: https://www.knowwhatyoufeed.com/
It's really quite simple and cost-effective too.

A great site and forums for all things cat, including behavior, diet and etc.: https://thecatsite.com/
They were a good help when I struggled with Milly early on.

And, a nice pic of my beasty in repose. ?

IMG_20201205_132941.jpg

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I just had a semi-terrifying realization: Milly hasn't been going to the cupboard and pawing at it to get to the kibble. She wants the catnip.

It's in a jar so I doubt she can smell it through that and 1/4" of wood, so she's apparently learned and rermembers that is where I keep it.

She just merrrrowed the hell outa me then lead me right there and does this vibrating-tail thing....meaning she wants something. Now.

A. I give it to her and 50/50 chances of a result between psycho runnnning/jumping cat and mellllllow cat.
B. Don't give it to her and 100% chance of her bugging the fuck outa me.

<--- doomed.

Last edited:

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Bit of a surprise I'm posting in the kitty thread again. Well, we've been putting out some "dry cereal" feed for a small pride over the past few months. There's a black mama cat who has had two, now, juvenile cats and at least two other kittens. She had four of the juvies but two were all that remained.

They are feral strays and so far resist becoming too domesticated. Up in the barn atop the hill they hang out. We're not calling animal control because well frankly, rats, mice other assorted rodents need reminded to not over populate. Neighbor up at the corner of our property, or what was ours, keeps letting their chickens roam free.

Told my wife if the cats got their chickens the neighbors could go unf**k themselves. Our property, we can let feral cats be on it. They ought to pen their chickens lest "something" get them. We live rural, all kinds of critters just loves chicken. We got foxes, racoon, possum, coyote, possibly lynx cats or bob cats, a bear what beds down for Winter in the cave on the other side of the creek.

So sure, let the neighbor complain if one the feral cats hold up in our barn gets chicken.

<Imagined covo>

"Why didn't you call animal control?"

"Ya know? Yer right, we ought to call them to get your damn chickens that roam unto our property. Don't want them over here but it doesn't seem to bother you does it? Gee, y'all weird. Nah, forget animal control we'll call the law. Y'all weird so we a scared o' ya."

"We meant you call animal control for the cats."

"Um, why? Not our cats."

"So you'd let animal control get them."

"They ain't hurting a thing on OUR PROPERTY."

"But they got our chicken/s ..."

"Uh huh, and what the f**k are your chickens doing on OUR PROPERTY? Dips**ts."

</Imagined covo>

By the by, ought to be obvious I'm a country boy and have lived / worked on farms. It's only natural I love cats and dogs. Cannot say I got a real preference either way though my wife is more the cat person than me. :) Still, I got no qualms with cats as long as they don't become lawyers.

Last edited:

MrMeowgi

The Vapin' Drummer
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yep, there's a pattern of behavior here.... ;)

UXZiPIV.jpg

Milly wanted to attack the leftover wrapper from some paper towels, so I let her have at it.
She conqured it and then took a nap in it. Take THAT, wrapper!!
Too funny. I bet you could get a man bag and take her to the store. Well not really but how cool would that be if she just chilled in the bag instead of being a typical cat running off. Lol.

Sent from my LM-Q730 using Tapatalk

VU Sponsors