Become a Patron!

Considerable RDA choices!

• Total voters
I've been vaping for 3-4 months now on my 150w Temp Controled Sigelei, with a Arctic Tank with Samsung 25r 18650s. So now I'm thinking I want to go for more of a build direction, I've looked videos on building them and it looks way to simple (coming from a engineering background) to do it myself to produce clouds which is why I enjoy the vape so much.

When looking for RDA's I find like there are so many clones compared to authentic versions I have no idea what to buy! I was looking in eBay and fast tech to see what I could get but I'm not an expert. I saw videos with 3+ posts which were awesome for 2+ coil builds, please send any suggestions for RDA's i was looking at the Mutation RDA.

Any suggestions for wire and cotton would be awesome along with the RDA!!!

Thanks

Lambreau21

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Cant recommend specific RDA because I'm relatively new but I'm getting the Geekvape Griffin. Read a lot of good things, allows you to drip and has a huge deck to build on with the 2 posts. There are a lot of good ones out there just read some threads, everyone has their preference. As for cotton these are great, cheap, and will last a lifetime Cotton. For coils use this site to figure out what ohms you want to run at, how many wraps, etc Coil. Since yours is TC you can get nickel, titanium, or kanthal all preference.

skeene

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
on fasttech just go by the ratings and read the discussions, a lot of knowledgeable people on there.
i have the mutation x v3, don't like it much. good for clouds, not for flavor. don't know about v4
velocity decks are nice to build on
hope this helps!

Mykline

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Get a Tobeco-velocity-rda-clone. Clouds and flavor.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

Thanks for the site helped a lot. Just a question. When it says do 18 coil wraps for a 1.8 ohm build (messing around with diameters, using this as an example in going to build on a 5/64 drill) does that mean if I'm doing a duel coil build on each side of my RDA does that mean I wrap each coil 9 times which would make it 18 wraps combined on both coils

Mykline

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Thanks for the site helped a lot. Just a question. When it says do 18 coil wraps for a 1.8 ohm build (messing around with diameters, using this as an example in going to build on a 5/64 drill) does that mean if I'm doing a duel coil build on each side of my RDA does that mean I wrap each coil 9 times which would make it 18 wraps combined on both coils
If you are looking at an app like Vapor's Toolbox you have to set to dual coil to get correct amount of wraps per coil. Everything depends on gauge of wire and diameter of coil for target resistance you are looking for.
I personally would not build to 1.8 on an rda. More like 0.5 to 0.8 since this will be your first time making coils.

I guess I'm just getting confused with this site because I was messing around with the ohms and what I can expect when I receive everything. I currently have a Arctic tank with a .2 ohm coil, when I put .2 ohm in the calculator it's telling me that it's .8 of a wrap to achieve that I don't understand.

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    172.7 KB · Views: 12

Mykline

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I guess I'm just getting confused with this site because I was messing around with the ohms and what I can expect when I receive everything. I currently have a Arctic tank with a .2 ohm coil, when I put .2 ohm in the calculator it's telling me that it's .8 of a wrap to achieve that I don't understand.
In your calculation you are using 30 gauge wire. That is a very thin wire so takes very little to reach .2 ohm. Try 24 or 22 gauge wire in calculator to get more wraps for the coils.
I know you know this but will state it anyway, but the higher the gauge number the thinner the wire so 24 gauge is thicker then 30 gauge.

Mykline

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Hahaha I feel stupid thank you. So does a .8 build have high vapor why such a difference?
There are so many variables in vaping. Builds, equipment used, e-juice used, type of wire and what not.
On the velocity rda I use kanthal wire 24 gauge twisted dual coils at 8-9 wrap each. Ohms out at 0.23. Use 65 watt on my box mod.
Now the lower the Ohms say like 0.2 you run higher wattage to heat coil up faster. Where on a 0.8 ohm coil you can run lower wattage to heat up coil.
Now on a 0.2 vs a 0.8 coil you will have more surface area to heat up which also gives you more vapor because of the larger surface area.

You need to watch some YouTube videos of people making coils and also where they are explaining how it all works together. Also a ton of reading to get yourself up to speed on this stuff.
If you want to see some real fancy coil builds check out the thread on Post your builds here in the VU.
Remember battery safety. That will be mentioned a lot in the forums.

I have watched several hours of Vaping videos and RDA builds on this and I understand the process of building these coils, I just go confused on how people were calculating these builds so they would work with the mod. I currently run on Samsung 18650 25r 30Amp high drain batteries. Thanks in the information that makes sense, I'm not quite up to date on the different styles and different types of build. I know they have cloud and flavor builds, but I don't understand how the coils differ. Or is that more of a personal preference

BigNasty

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
honestly having done a an maddening amount of builds in my velocity what I find works just flat plain ole the best is dual macros.
Personally I use 24, faster ramp time that 22 and easier to work with.
26 is ok but I think it just falls flat.

Coil jigs are cheap Joe just had a deal on one that looks pretty decent and goes up to 3.5 or 4mm.

Woodsman

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I have two Velocities. They are on the shelf. I prefer my Hobo V3. I use 26 awg tempered ni200 about ten wraps on a 3 mm screwdriver. 2.5 mm would allow more space for the cap to fit down. I prefer single coil builds.
Eventually I will learn the trick for the Velocity.
Be sure to clean your Velocity thoroughly to be rid of any machine oil.

Woodsman

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Plug in ni200 wire. You probably plugged in Kanthal. Your 0.2 build is ni200.

Woodsman

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Sorry about short sentences. I'm on a smartphone. Now, about the rda...
I am currently vaping on my dna40 mod with a deadmodz rda. I taped off one side of the rda since I prefer single coil builds. The Hobo V3 allows single coil builds without having to tape off one side.
I taped off one side of my Velocity but still not the vape I want. I will eventually find the best build.
More I could say but this smartphone is a chore.

OBDave

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
http://www.vapingunderground.com/th...-sick-clouds-bro-thread-sticky-edition.78126/

This is my big intro-to-advanced-vaping post - I think you'll find it worth a look.

Don't use Ni200 unless you're using it in TC mode.

30g wire is pretty small - save that for if you start twisting/braiding/Claptoning/doing whatever the cool kids do with their fancy wraps they can't manage to keep off my lawn. Go get some 26 and 24 for simple dual builds - try both and see what you like best. Also, since you've got a regulated mod, try building around 0.4-0.6 resistance - you'll still be able to deliver plenty of power to the coil and you'll squeeze some extra wraps in - more coil surface area = more liquid you can vaporize at once = more flavor = more cloud.

Woodsman

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I've been vaping for 3-4 months now on my 150w Temp Controled Sigelei, with a Arctic Tank with Samsung 25r 18650s. So now I'm thinking I want to go for more of a build direction, I've looked videos on building them and it looks way to simple (coming from a engineering background) to do it myself to produce clouds which is why I enjoy the vape so much.

When looking for RDA's I find like there are so many clones compared to authentic versions I have no idea what to buy! I was looking in eBay and fast tech to see what I could get but I'm not an expert. I saw videos with 3+ posts which were awesome for 2+ coil builds, please send any suggestions for RDA's i was looking at the Mutation RDA.

Any suggestions for wire and cotton would be awesome along with the RDA!!!

Thanks
There needs to be some clarification here. You are vaping temp control (TC) with your Arctic Tank. If you plan to vape TC with your Velocity, I would suggest using 26awg tempered ni200 wire. The Velocity is designed for dual coils so you will want 14 wraps of ni200 on a 3 mm screwdriver on each side. Be sure to use exact amount of wire for each coil. When you need to change your cotton, clean your coils with a toothbrush after soaking your deck in hot water and white vinegar. This cleans the junk off the coils without destroying the tempering of the wire.

Mykline

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I have two Velocities. They are on the shelf. I prefer my Hobo V3. I use 26 awg tempered ni200 about ten wraps on a 3 mm screwdriver. 2.5 mm would allow more space for the cap to fit down. I prefer single coil builds.
Eventually I will learn the trick for the Velocity.
Be sure to clean your Velocity thoroughly to be rid of any machine oil.
Put a single coil between the posts. There's a YouTube video on doing that. I tried it and it works good.

VU Sponsors