VU Patreon
Going to watch Fatman tonite.
Mel Gibson as Santa Claus with a hitman trying to kill him. Should be good

FreshFarms

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Three Identical Strangers was quite interesting

P.S. This COVID hits hard, and I've already re-watched Lord of the Rings and Hobbit second time this year. Need to wait at least 5-6 months to watch these masterpieces again :D

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Not a movie exactly, but a, HBO/Hulu mini-series of six episodes. :)

The Head (2020)

The_Head_2020_.jpg

I love the Arctic regions, wish I was there much of the time. It's just so beautiful.
So, it is a mystery/drama type show with a touch of sci-fi set there and is pretty great. It's not a horror, although it has it's moments...

Yes, it is mostly in English, but due to the multi-national crew, the subtitles will be needed for most.

Pastorfuzz

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
Not a movie exactly, but a, HBO/Hulu mini-series of six episodes. :)

The Head (2020)

View attachment 174552

I love the Arctic regions, wish I was there much of the time. It's just so beautiful.
So, it is a mystery/drama type show with a touch of sci-fi set there and is pretty great. It's not a horror, although it has it's moments...

Yes, it is mostly in English, but due to the multi-national crew, the subtitles will be needed for most.
Looks good. Since you like the north, have you seen "Arctic" with Mads Mickelson?

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Been watching a series on Viacom owned Pluto.tv called Becker. Not really a huge fan of any of the cast. I enjoy the genre and style of such a show.

LAVapesQC

Bronze Contributor
ECF Refugee
I have watched a couple of no-brainer action movies on Netflix over the last two weeks - none of which I can tell your their names (they were that good). Unlike their prices, the quality of movies on Netflix does not seem to be increasing.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Tremors Shrieker Island and for #6 in a campy movie franchise it was pretty good. Can't say more without revealing a spoiler though.

1607691005139.png

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
"The Upside" last night on Showtime. Bryan Cranston and Kevin Hart. I loved it, found it unexpectedly touching.

Now I want to binge-watch "Your Honor."

LAVapesQC

Bronze Contributor
ECF Refugee
Just rewatched "No Country for Old Men"
Great movie.

My 3rd favorite movie of that year. I actually still think There Will Be Blood and Michael Clayton were as good if not better. However I am mincing words over 3 of the best movies made in my lifetime.

The last scene from No Country For Old Men always stuck with me: As Tommy Lee Jones Speaks:

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
I do remember that one, but no, I haven't seen it.
Seems interesting if a little on the drama side for me. :)

This series of posts made me remember the two part series with Kenneth Branagh (on A&E in the USA I think) called "Shackelton."

I wish I could find a place online to watch this again. There are some short parts of it on YouTube, but I couldn't find the whole series. When I first saw it years ago, though, I thought it was great.

Branagh is not for everybody. I just happen to be a huge fan. His Avignon (St. Crispin) monologue in Henry V brings me to tears every time.

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
This series of posts made me remember the two part series with Kenneth Branagh (on A&E in the USA I think) called "Shackelton."

I wish I could find a place online to watch this again. There are some short parts of it on YouTube, but I couldn't find the whole series. When I first saw it years ago, though, I thought it was great.

Branagh is not for everybody. I just happen to be a huge fan. His Avignon (St. Crispin) monologue in Henry V brings me to tears every time.

Do ya use Xfinity?

There are other sources, but I don't think posting them here is a good idea. ;)

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
damn, we are gonna have lockdown in a few weeks and this gem plus first season of Fargo are waiting :D
GL mate, I'm in WA state where it all started, and it has not gotten better. I'm used to being alone though.
I have a good cat, that makes me remrember that love and goodness stil exists, or I'd prolly have been incarcerated by now. =)

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Recently saw Equalizer 2 with Washington. Me and Christy both felt it was an "alright" but not "great" movie. I liked the scene and lines when he rescued the boy from the gang bangers. "Who are you," one of the bangers asks him. "Boy, I'm your father, your mother just never told you about me."

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
Saw Ava on Netflix. It was 50% ok. Can anyone suggest anything at all decent on Netflix to watch. It's getting bad.

If you haven't seen the series "Ozark" on Netflix, you might like that. I thought it was great. Three seasons, iirc.

"Broadchurch" was good, too. And "Bloodline."

Last edited:

FreshFarms

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Unlisted Vendor
GL mate, I'm in WA state where it all started, and it has not gotten better. I'm used to being alone though.
I have a good cat, that makes me remrember that love and goodness stil exists, or I'd prolly have been incarcerated by now. =)
yeah, that is always good to have someone near you :D
i "cured" myself with biking hard in the countryside during the first lockdown and it really worked
idk what i am gonna do now without the gym and biking (too cold outside)

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Saw Ava on Netflix. It was 50% ok. Can anyone suggest anything at all decent on Netflix to watch. It's getting bad.

Can't recall off hand if Red Sparrow is on Netflix or Hulu. Agree with you though, it is getting rough to find anything to watch. Finishing up the last season of Becker on Pluto here.

Kind of dreading that too. Might have to go re-watch re-reruns of Midsomer Murders. :| I only like the ones with Jones in them. Especially love the whole, "You, ... slammed ... the ... door" scene.

Airy tv has Dukes of Hazard tv series and Hogan's Heroes but I'll try finding something. Nothing on Roku carries enough Andy to bother looking at it. There's also Three's Company on Pluto ... um, yeah but erm, I'll find something.

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
"Peppermint" on Netflix.
"My Spy" on Prime

I took a quick look at "Peppermint" last night. Jennifer Garner, yes sir, I will be watching that. I know you didn't recommend it for me, but thanks anyway!

Recommending TV is kinda like recommending eliquid flavors. It's a matter of taste for sure. I have really enjoyed "The Crown" on Netflix, I liked 'Searching for Bobby Fischer." Somewhere I just saw "Beasts of the Southern Wild" that was great.

@MyMagicMist is it Pluto that has "In the Electric Mist" based on the James Lee Burke novel? Also I saw a listing for the first season of "True Detective" on one of these channels. That first season was really very good.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
@MyMagicMist is it Pluto that has "In the Electric Mist" based on the James Lee Burke novel? Also I saw a listing for the first season of "True Detective" on one of these channels. That first season was really very good.

Nope, not Pluto but it is on Tubi for free w/ commercials. Tubi has a fair policy on commercials too.

How much does Tubi cost?​

Truly, it's nothing: you won't hit a paywall at any point, nor can you toss in a credit card to eliminate ads or access premium content or perks. Tubi is 100% ad-supported, which means you'll see commercials before and also during content.

Luckily, the ads are usually pretty short and innocuous, and pop up inconsistently within and around the content. When watching an episode of a TV show, you'll probably see a short (30-second) commercial beforehand, and maybe a 15-second or 30-second ad in the middle. It varies, though: We watched Cowboy Bebop and didn't see any ads beforehand, but then it had two commercials for a total of 45 seconds at the middle point.

With movies, we've encountered different results, as well. A viewing of Arnold Schwarzenegger's The Running Man via the PlayStation 4 app began with a single short ad, but then continued uninterrupted for the next 45 minutes or so. There would also be an ad any time that I resumed the film after stopping, though.

Eh, on the Roku device one free episode of first season of True Detective is available. After that you need to subscribe to HBO, or buy it at $3 per episode on the following: Prime,Vudu (walmart), Fandango, Google Play, Apple TV.

Quirky enough I could subscribe to Apple Tv on the Roku device for $5 month. I would still need to pay $3 per episode for that show. HBO isn't coming off licensing rights too easily on it. They only agreed to let Roku have access to their view with a provider app again this month. Yep, was a big brew ha over that. HBO isn't wanting to play with other content providers.

I got to see that season on binge watching it a free on Direct TV weekend. Did not follow it after that season.

*ahem* Please don't go getting me addicted to soap operas again. I once poked fun at my grandma for her constant watching of General Hospital. Her reply was, "well sit down there and look at it for two minutes, Benny." Three weeks later I was rooting for Luke to beat Scorpio and kill Marco. Nope, nope, nope ... don't want to get addicted to soaps again.

Last edited:

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
Nope, not Pluto but it is on Tubi for free w/ commercials. Tubi has a fair policy on commercials too.

Eh, on the Roku device one free episode of first season of True Detective is available. After that you need to subscribe to HBO, or buy it at $3 per episode on the following: Prime,Vudu (walmart), Fandango, Google Play, Apple TV.

Quirky enough I could subscribe to Apple Tv on the Roku device for $5 month. I would still need to pay $3 per episode for that show. HBO isn't coming off licensing rights too easily on it. They only receagreed to let Roku have access to their view with a provider app again this month. Yep, was a big brew ha over that. HBO isn't wanting to play with other content providers.

I got to see that season on binge watching it a free on Direct TV weekend. Did not follow it after that season.

*ahem* Please don't go getting me addicted to soap operas again. I once poked fun at my grandma for her constant watching of General Hospital. Her reply was, "well sit down there and look at it for two minutes, Benny." Three weeks later I was rooting for Luke to beat Scorpio and kill Marco. Nope, nope, nope ... don't want to get addicted to soaps again.

My husband got all into "All My Children" for about six months. I had long before stopped watching it myself, but there he was, glued to the damn thing every day.

Now that I think it through, it was probably on HBO Max that I saw True Detective. I got a deal with DirecTV that included a free year of HBO Max, so I temporarily have it again. I tried to watch the second season of TD, Colin Farrell was in it I think, but it wasn't nearly as good as the first season.

I do see it available via Amazon Prime but, as you said, it's $2.99 per episode, or $22.99 for the season. I'm not paying for a show like that when there's so much free stuff to choose from.

I want Amazon to put the rest of James Lee Burke's Robicheaux novels on Kindle Unlimited. I could keep myself occupied for a while if they'd do that!

LAVapesQC

Bronze Contributor
ECF Refugee
Thanks for the suggestions. I will try them out. Definitely revisit Ozark and maybe it's time to break out the Hulu as well.

Pastorfuzz

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
Hey @nadalama check out "Manhunt, Deadly Games" on Netflix.
it's about Richard Jewell and the bombing at the Atlanta Olympic games.
The FBI blew it on this one.
Great mini series.

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
Great mini series.

I will do that, thanks.

I had tickets to a couple of the events at the 96 Games in Atlanta and was there with my kids, but the events got rained out (one was a baseball game, can't even remember what else). They were postponed until the next day. I asked the kids if they wanted to wait in Atlanta for the games or head on to the beach at Savannah. Well, Savannah won out, and that decision was the only thing that kept us from being at the games when that bombing happened!

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
Great mini series.

Ok, I watched all the episodes of this. Turns out it was more of a tragedy than I realized. I LOVED Jack Huston in it - love him in everything I've seen him in - and it doesn't hurt my feelings at all that he's an absolute knockout. I despised Judith Light in it right up until nearly the end of the series, when she decided to act like a halfway decent person. Overall, I was kinda glued to it for a few days and I enjoyed watching it. I appreciate the recommendation very much.

However.

Hollywood might as well give it up, trying to get Southern US accents right. The Atlanta cast sounds pretty much just like the Murphy cast, and one of the only characters in the whole series who is anywhere close is the guy who plays the head ATF agent. The next closest character is Kathy Scruggs, but she's a little over the top as that Georgia-belle (although real Georgia belles ARE a little over the top). Also the man with cancer, who lived in the cabin in the woods, he must have been a native from around Murphy somewhere, because his voice was spot-on.

I've lived all over the South, and this is just a thing with me. There's a WORLD of difference in the way the people talk in the two main locales in this series. It just seems to me, with the length of time that movie-makers have been at work, they could have figured out how to find voice coaches that can get this RIGHT. It seems like when they do get it right, it's just accidental.

My nomination, still, for the WORST Southern accent ever attempted in a movie belongs to David Morse, one of the guards in "The Green Mile." It was even worse than Kevin Costner's five minutes of attempted English accent in the Robin Hood movie he did with Morgan Freeman.

Last edited:

Smigo

Gold Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Never heard of it but got the DVD from our library.
I liked it. ?
Cant even recall any profanity in it unless I missed it! How refreshing is that these days with F F F in just about every sentence nowadays!?

Nailz

FUCK the FDA
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Also watched WW84 last night, didn't think it was bad, but a bit slow at times, there is action, but not the normal super hero action packed movie though.

I watch a lot of the super hero movies multiple times, this won't be one of them though.

gopher_byrd

Cranky Old Fart
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
I tried watching WW84 a few nights ago, I fell asleep...

I did stay awake for the 2019 version of Midway. If you like historic war movies this is worth your time. Woody Harrelson did a good job as Adm. Nimitz.

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
I tried watching WW84 a few nights ago, I fell asleep...

I did stay awake for the 2019 version of Midway. If you like historic war movies this is worth your time. Woody Harrelson did a good job as Adm. Nimitz.

Woody Harrelson, once he "got over himself" a little bit, has become a surprisingly good actor. I've always enjoyed watching his stuff, even when he was crude, but he's proven he can do serious roles, too.

Have to admit my favorite, or at least most memorable, scene of his was in "The Cowboy Way," where he walks naked (except for his boots, I think) out onto the porch of a cabin, covering his jewels with his cowboy hat. As he talks you realize he's making gestures with both hands, and his hat is still "suspended" in mid-air. Took me a second, then it was cute as hell.

I've been watching "City on a Hill" on Prime. Wow. It's a Ben Affleck/Matt Damon production, Boston cop drama with a plethora of f-bombs, but man is it ever good! I think I'm about halfway through it.

Smigo

Gold Contributor
Member For 2 Years
My misses has 2 movies she can watch a couple of times a year.
So today, she loves this one, we watched this. I'll admit that even when see says "hey lets watch Major Payne" I think really, again! But after 5 minutes im laughing my head off.
Her other is this and its usually on this time of year but hasn't showed up.
Guess I'll be ordereing it from the Library this coming week. Will admit again its a classic funny watch. Especially the Chiclet and baked bean scenes! "Mr Wilson!"

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
Watched "Hillbilly Elegy" on Netflix. My friend recommended it. Good movie, done by Ron Howard, with Amy Adams and Glenn Close.

Smigo

Gold Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Im so hanging out to see Greyhound. Dont have anything other than my phone and get movies from our Library. Have told them to please get Greyhound. They have it on order.
Saw this the other day. Hilarious! Ordered number 1 first but number 2 came before it.
Very funny.

VU Sponsors