Become a Patron!

Womper Woom Wejects

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Answer>yes, My sister has 2, attention span of gnat....LOL, but will work for rewards;)
Yep love treats.
They train better is you let them watch another being trained and getting the treats.
Found that out while training a Walker Hound.
the Walker was a rescue. He failed the gun test.
Poor thing would just shiver and drool during thunder storms.

Whiskey

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Marley responded well to the clickers it's like the jackpot sounds in Vegas to her. The one thing I haven't been able to get her to do though is be calm when someone new comes in, but I think a lot of that is the person not knowing how to respond to it. She's so friendly they immediately start petting her and loving on her basically reinforcing the behavior I'm trying to avoid.
Even your company has to be on the same page as you, have some one do trials at your door and reinforce the calm behavior with sit stays or go to your bed drills and anyone that you know is coming over, ask them not to engage the dog at all, no eye contact no petting, after a few wins, reward that but only after they have listened to your commands and remained calm. be assertive.

Debadoo

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Thanks Atcha. House warming tomorrow.

Not if you send it as an 'attachment'
it will when she downloads it! :p
awwwwwww that's so cute!! Mornin hun!

Deb,The therapy training is done with the handler(you) and the dog..... most dogs can be trained to do just about anything well, I find it depends in the amount of time and effort the handler puts into it and I always found, that repetitiveness yields the best results
(That and a handful of treats as payment)
Jup! He just has so much energy that he can't get out. when I can I go in the yard with him when he goes out, and try to get him to run around the yard. We did that bout an hour ago. I can't chase him, but I can clap and crouch a little like I'm gonna chase him. He's very food oriented. I've started showing him a treat then hiding it, to give him something to do that gets the nose and brain engaged. I think Lynn or someone mentioned that. Mighta been a friend who has Tervs on the other place.

lol I do the same thing and I keep it with my duct tape I can almost fix anything with those two things and nothing else.
I've always said that the only 3 tools a woman needs is duct tape, a hammer, and a big flat head screwdriver.

The screwdriver is for pryin stuff open!
If it moves and shouldn't........duct tape it
If it don't move and should...... beat it with a hammer til it does!

I've wondered bout all the gorilla stuff.......good to know it's worth the price.

The one thing I haven't been able to get her to do though is be calm when someone new comes in, but I think a lot of that is the person not knowing how to respond to it. She's so friendly they immediately start petting her and loving on her basically reinforcing the behavior I'm trying to avoid.
this is exactly it! They need to be calm and ignore her til she settles, then love on her. But it's hard to get folks to do that.

They train better is you let them watch another being trained and getting the treats.
Found that out while training a Walker Hound.
JUP! I do wish they'd get another dog.......he could play with it in the yard, and get a lotta energy out. Get one with a calmer demeanor and hopefully he'll learn to be calmer. Or he'll get the other dog to go bat shit crazy! hehehe

Reign

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
I use a strong "LEAVE-IT" with mine, they know it's drop and stay, until I release them from the command, that took a lot of drills to get down.

I've done this one with her since I got her and it is absolutely the hardest it seems. She's a gobbler, she walks with her nose to the ground looking for anything to eat which may contributed to our issues we are having(if we indeed having one). So I am ramping it up a little by holding up firmly on her leash/harness coupled with the command and a reward when she moves past what ever she had her eye on. But I am really starting tho think the harness is working against me so I am looking into the training leads, not the choker crap but something that sits right below the jawline comfortably.

I will say this though she's incredibly smart and I think most of our issues are because of her trainer and not her. Which is also why I am considering "professional help", I want her to be an advocate for her breed and show just how great of a dog they can be if they're with the right people.

Reign

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
it will when she downloads it! :p

awwwwwww that's so cute!! Mornin hun!

Jup! He just has so much energy that he can't get out. when I can I go in the yard with him when he goes out, and try to get him to run around the yard. We did that bout an hour ago. I can't chase him, but I can clap and crouch a little like I'm gonna chase him. He's very food oriented. I've started showing him a treat then hiding it, to give him something to do that gets the nose and brain engaged. I think Lynn or someone mentioned that. Mighta been a friend who has Tervs on the other place.

I've always said that the only 3 tools a woman needs is duct tape, a hammer, and a big flat head screwdriver.

The screwdriver is for pryin stuff open!
If it moves and shouldn't........duct tape it
If it don't move and should...... beat it with a hammer til it does!

I've wondered bout all the gorilla stuff.......good to know it's worth the price.

this is exactly it! They need to be calm and ignore her til she settles, then love on her. But it's hard to get folks to do that.

JUP! I do wish they'd get another dog.......he could play with it in the yard, and get a lotta energy out. Get one with a calmer demeanor and hopefully he'll learn to be calmer. Or he'll get the other dog to go bat shit crazy! hehehe

Yeah I highly recommend the gorilla stuff I have several of their products in the house at all times. Super glue, duct tape, wood glues, etc.. And I love your description of how to fix anything I think I went to the same "Texas College of Fixing Crap". :D

Whiskey

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I've done this one with her since I got her and it is absolutely the hardest it seems. She's a gobbler, she walks with her nose to the ground looking for anything to eat which may contributed to our issues we are having(if we indeed having one). So I am ramping it up a little by holding up firmly on her leash/harness coupled with the command and a reward when she moves past what ever she had her eye on. But I am really starting tho think the harness is working against me so I am looking into the training leads, not the choker crap but something that sits right below the jawline comfortably.

I will say this though she's incredibly smart and I think most of our issues are because of her trainer and not her. Which is also why I am considering "professional help", I want her to be an advocate for her breed and show just how great of a dog they can be if they're with the right people.
Have you ever tried the easy walker harnesses? They are amazing for training , Google them, I think they have a demo showing how they work and why they are effective on pullers and head strong dogs.

Rixsta

People's Reviewer
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I think I might get another dog, mine passed away this year, especially now we live right on the beach. Probably get another whippet.

Awwwwww, well that's gone an done it....

24wxzc3.jpg

Last edited:

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Amazing how quickly a trained dog can regress when paired with an untrained one:)

Yep they do have human tendencies.

Debadoo

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I want her to be an advocate for her breed and show just how great of a dog they can be if they're with the right people.
What breed is she? If you said, I forgot.

Exactly Deb, Whiskey is like that, just before his Cert testing I had to walk him around for about an hour among the other dogs to get him calmer , some dogs need to have the energy burned off before they are calm enough to work with
Jup. I have the time, but can't walk very far, son just doesn't have much time but does what he can. dil doesn't give a crap about training him and undoes what we do.

I think I might get another dog, mine passed away this year, especially now we live right on the beach. Probably get another whippet.
Love whippets! I was lookin at a rescue IG (italian grayhound) similar to a smaller whippet.

Ok........I gotta go pick up my son from school since I dropped him off and stole his car. then an appt at the pain clinic, so will talk to y'all later! hugssssss

Reign

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
What breed is she? If you said, I forgot.

Jup. I have the time, but can't walk very far, son just doesn't have much time but does what he can. dil doesn't give a crap about training him and undoes what we do.

Love whippets! I was lookin at a rescue IG (italian grayhound) similar to a smaller whippet.

Ok........I gotta go pick up my son from school since I dropped him off and stole his car. then an appt at the pain clinic, so will talk to y'all later! hugssssss

She's a terrier mix been trying to avoid their "street name" so I guess she qualifies as a terrier

Rixsta

People's Reviewer
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Rixy, set the chainsaw down, and back away slowly. That's a good boy. :)
Yeah, Emily is stressing because I can see lots of potential home improvements that could be done here but she's having none of it. I think she heard about the paint pot I dropped all over the kitchen floor, the copper water pipe I drilled through, the TV that I mounted on the wall that somehow fell off, oh yeah, maybe she has a point. That chipboard tree house didn't work out either.

Reign

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
I know some people who refer to them as Pibbles. Maybe you could use that?

I have heard that and do say it at home from time to time when I tell her she's being a viscous pibble. :D

Shes very lucky to have such a loving owner

Thanks I appreciate it, it's the only way I know how to care for little furry critters.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yeah, Emily is stressing because I can see lots of potential home improvements that could be done here but she's having none of it. I think she heard about the paint pot I dropped all over the kitchen floor, the copper water pipe I drilled through, the TV that I mounted on the wall that somehow fell off, oh yeah, maybe she has a point. That chipboard tree house didn't work out either.
Rixy the Toolman?
Do the local emergency room people know you by name as soon as you come in?

Debadoo

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Amazing how quickly a trained dog can regress when paired with an untrained one
Jup! Stable dogs can help unstable dogs become stable......but it can also work the other way.

She's a terrier mix been trying to avoid their "street name" so I guess she qualifies as a terrier
ahhhhhhhhh Just call her an Amstaff. American Staffordshire Terrier.

My trainer says that when I go to do DIY jobs...
roflmao!

Rixy, me boy, are ya sayin' to us that yer little more 'an a walking disaster awaitin' ta happen
how long you know the boy? He's been sayin that just about everyday!! ;)

VU Sponsors