Become a Patron!

Womper Woom Wejects

AndriaD

Yes, I DO wear a mask! I'm vaccinated, too!
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Me and Kadly just had a conversation about our "white noise". I just have to have a box fan to sleep with.

Same here. But football on Sundays reminds me of lazy Sunday afternoons when I was kid, at my grandmother's house; football on TV, laying on the floor next to my grandfather, snoozing with the incomprehensible football chatter lulling me to sleep. :D If I lay down on the couch when my husband's watching it now, it still has that effect on me. :D

Andria

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I can't draw for nuttin. But I'm very creative.
I got good grades in art. Still love art. But I'm not real creative.
If you are creative, I can teach you to draw. If you can already draw, I can teach you to be creative and stretch that drawing further. Unlike the teachers in school who demand perfection - and usually imitating the old masters - I teach you to have fun, then you realize that you CAN do it. Bring forth thy pencils, ladies of the South.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Drawing is quite difficult for us face blind.
Lines and such are fine but other more subtle shapes are difficult if not impossible to produce.
I am the only one like this in my family. The others are nice artists.

I can only replicate while observing shaded and contoured objects.

My creativity is more of a technical one.
Mechanical s, circuits, programs, etc.

I look at my own face several times a day in a mirror and yet if I met my identical I would not recognize me.

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Whatsoever thou canst see in thy mind, thou canst reproduce on paper...
...given that certain skills are learned. The first thing I teach is to imagine, then "see as if" your vision is a depiction of the reality you desire to recreate. We start with fantasy, because that is all the world is anyway. Once you have an outline (like a cartoon), you can fill in the shading and contours a section at a time. I started as a schematic draftsman, then moved to mechanical and architectural perspectives, then realized people were just rounded, bulging, stretched mechanical objects. If you can depict a steel bar fading into the vanishing point, you can draw a person. Patience and practice are the keys. Know that nothing is impossible if you truly have a desire to create.

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
...given that certain skills are learned. The first thing I teach is to imagine, then "see as if" your vision is a depiction of the reality you desire to recreate. We start with fantasy, because that is all the world is anyway. Once you have an outline (like a cartoon), you can fill in the shading and contours a section at a time. I started as a schematic draftsman, then moved to mechanical and architectural perspectives, then realized people were just rounded, bulging, stretched mechanical objects. If you can depict a steel bar fading into the vanishing point, you can draw a person. Patience and practice are the keys. Know that nothing is impossible if you truly have a desire to create.

One of the hardest things I learned about drawing, which my uncle, a painter, taught me, is to draw what you actually see... not what you know is there. That's harder than it sounds, but it is the essence of "perspective."

Andria

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years

And therein lies the problem with me.
I cannot visualize a face, scenery, etc except in the vaguest of senses.

I scored 46 out of 50 on a Prosopagnosia test administered by my head shrinker.
50 is the most intense form.

Like the Bitter Gene thing it cannot be imagined by those who do not have it.

Damn defective human forms.

Debadoo

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Issues with church yes. Church is a human construct and therefore naturally flawed.
Issues with spirituality nope.
Just do not believe in any afterlife myself.
believe it or not, I have a lot of issues with many if not most church's as well. it's hard to find a really good one.

If you are creative, I can teach you to draw. If you can already draw
My hand just won't do what my brain tells it to. I try to draw a horse head, and it comes out lookin like a wagon or sumpthin lol

Damn defective human forms.
I agree with that. I'm ready to trade this body in on a new one!

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
draw what you actually see... not what you know is there.
Most people have noted that in children's drawings, that child obviously walked around the house and knows that it has [at least] four sides, so they try to draw what they know is there, not what they see (the perspective view), and many adults look at those drawings and, regardless of what they actually say to that child, they are thinking, "That's really stupid." But no one had taught that child yet about perspective and drawing what they see, NOT what they know is there. I teach you to first see it in your mind before pencil ever touches paper, describe what you see, describe where the vanishing point is, describe where the light comes from... yes, it can be a long involved process, something most teachers don't want to invest their time in. I invest my time in your mind so you can invest your time in making a work of art. But that student has to want to do it.

"When the student is ready, the teacher will appear."

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I scored 46 out of 50 on a Prosopagnosia test
OK, I gather from the breakdown of this word...Agnosia means "impaired recognition," while prosopon means "face." Were you born with this inability to recognize faces or did you get it because of an accident? You are aware of the components of a face, are you not? Two eyes, nose, mouth, two ears on the sides...and you do fine with line art, so maybe we can get you are far as being a cartoonist then, rather than a live action artist. Everything can be a caricature of life.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
OK, I gather from the breakdown of this word...Agnosia means "impaired recognition," while prosopon means "face." Were you born with this inability to recognize faces or did you get it because of an accident? You are aware of the components of a face, are you not? Two eyes, nose, mouth, two ears on the sides...and you do fine with line art, so maybe we can get you are far as being a cartoonist then, rather than a live action artist. Everything can be a caricature of life.
Born with it. It is a defect in the brain I am apparently one of the lucky 1%... Just don't have their money...
It can be due to damage as well, but I have always had the issue.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
So you don't recognize faces? Like if a friend walked up to you, and didn't say anything, you wouldn't know who it was?
Not quite that bad but almost.
VERY good friends I recognize. Working acquaintances if seen outside of work I will generally not recognize.
Voices do trigger memory for me far better than faces though.
Ask me to view a lineup for the cops? LOL no hope in hell.
I have to remember what my wife wears when we go shopping.
Among all the other faces she just sort of blurs out until I get close.

Debadoo

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VERY good friends I recognize. Working acquaintances if seen outside of work I will generally not recognize.
Wow. That's awful, but interesting. had never heard of that. I know I'm being nosy, but if you don't mind, it's fascinating. So do you see fine other than faces?

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Did the shrink say there was a way around it (I know they don't ever suggest anything can be "cured")? Sometimes a person can learn to use a different part of the brain to offset dysfunctional parts. I have brain damage too (a nasty head bump), but in my case, it turned out for the better - a greater percentage of connection between right and left hemispheres, as in logic can be envisioned in art forms... (very long discussion, probably too much for this forum).

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Wow. That's awful, but interesting. had never heard of that. I know I'm being nosy, but if you don't mind, it's fascinating. So do you see fine other than faces?
Ohh I am near sighted, corrected by glasses and see very well. Not color blind or anything. Night vision is average I guess.

Ask me to describe someone and I will maybe remember they were bald or something. Or maybe rings on ears, a tatoo, but not what the tatoo was, etc... Yep 1%.

Sorry Rich not trainable.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Did the shrink say there was a way around it (I know they don't ever suggest anything can be "cured")? Sometimes a person can learn to use a different part of the brain to offset dysfunctional parts. I have brain damage too (a nasty head bump), but in my case, it turned out for the better - a greater percentage of connection between right and left hemispheres, as in logic can be envisioned in art forms... (very long discussion, probably too much for this forum).
Nope no cure known, no drugs, etc.

LynnNC

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Ohh I am near sighted, corrected by glasses and see very well. Not color blind or anything. Night vision is average I guess.

Ask me to describe someone and I will maybe remember they were bald or something. Or maybe rings on ears, a tatoo, but not what the tatoo was, etc... Yep 1%.

Sorry Rich not trainable.
And I on the other hand could tell you every last detail.

LynnNC

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Most people have noted that in children's drawings, that child obviously walked around the house and knows that it has [at least] four sides, so they try to draw what they know is there, not what they see (the perspective view), and many adults look at those drawings and, regardless of what they actually say to that child, they are thinking, "That's really stupid." But no one had taught that child yet about perspective and drawing what they see, NOT what they know is there. I teach you to first see it in your mind before pencil ever touches paper, describe what you see, describe where the vanishing point is, describe where the light comes from... yes, it can be a long involved process, something most teachers don't want to invest their time in. I invest my time in your mind so you can invest your time in making a work of art. But that student has to want to do it.

"When the student is ready, the teacher will appear."
My son did a tissue paper art project in elementary school. The teacher noticed it and had it framed. When I took my first look at the picture, I saw the sun, going down behind the mountains with a pond or river in front of it. Once I pointed out those details, she could see them. At first, she just saw the way he put the tissue paper together.

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
My son did a tissue paper art project in elementary school. The teacher noticed it and had it framed. When I took my first look at the picture, I saw the sun, going down behind the mountains with a pond or river in front of it. Once I pointed out those details, she could see them. At first, she just saw the way he put the tissue paper together.
I was one of those children that drew perspective way too soon. I found a pencil on the floor, crawled over to the wall and drew on it. I did not get spanked or yelled at because no one would believe a four-year-old had done it. In fourth grade, a teacher wanted all the children to draw something Christmassy and tape it to the back wall. I was the only one of them to do perfect perspective, and of something I had never seen except once in a magazine (a biplane pulling a banner). It is amazing how we all perceive our world differently.

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years

I remember voices like some kind of fucking tape recorder, but a music teacher once informed me that I have "perfect relative pitch," so that's not really surprising. Less perfectly, I can remember/recognize faces... but names? Never. The thing about voices though... when I hear a voice that I've heard before... in my mind's eye, I see a face -- immediately. But then trying to put a name on that recognition, bah.

Andria

Debadoo

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
And I on the other hand could tell you every last detail.
I have a hard time remembering faces, but it's because I don't pay much attention to what people look like. I used to have to make it a point each day when my son was little to pay attn to what he was wearing, just in case anything happened.

kewl pic. And really neat you still have it. My dad was fascinated by a finger painting I did one time when I was a kid, so he framed it, and always kept it.

VU Sponsors