Become a Patron!

A Spin Off of Keep a Word/Drop a Word and Music, Pics, and Whatnot

Bliss Doubt

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I'm feeling you on this!!! Need to go complain in that thread, Hear me now, I say Riseup Riseup Riseup Patriots of the VU!!'
oops got carried away .... carry on :)

Hardly anybody ever visits the bugs thread anymore. There used to be fairly good responses, and there were problems to be resolved after the forum changed hosts or servers or something, but for a long time now the responses are piss poor. You, Wolfie, are one of the few real problem resolution contributors there actually.

Otherwise, a lot of "duh, works fine for me".

"Well you're the only one bitching about it and you've reported it enough damn times. I'm sure Joe will look into it when he has time."
-Countrypami, 25Sep20 to a user

And now there is a nasty little bug there, pretending to be an expert and official responder, saying "you are a fucking idiot". His name is LazyChef or something like that. The people I can't stand on this forum are fewer than the number of fingers on one hand, but I'll never go back to that thread again as long as that little blob of slime is around.

Bliss Doubt

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
After last night's rant I feel like I need to bring a little levity to the thread, so how about a little humor to start the day? Sorry @Bliss Doubt but Texas only made number 9 on this list that ranks how 'southern' the various southern states are.

It's okay. We know Texas and this corridor incl. Oklahoma and Arkansas, New Mexico and Arizona, are without the stereotypical southern culture (though local cultures are diverse throughout any region). In Texas we have the distinctive Mexican American blend we treasure. My dad's people were in Alabama, probably still are, though I haven't seen them in a really long time. We'd take the long road trip to Ala. in summers, and we made fun of those people mercilessly.

On Oklahoma, the narrator mentions Johnny Cash. Country music is not southern music. It's country music, which morphed from folk music forms that came here with settlers from England, France, Germany and Switzerland. You'll find it even in New York and rural New England, and elsewhere, everywhere, all the way up to Montana. A good example of southern music is the distinctive kind of folk-gospel tradition of Appalachia.

There's lots and lots more to say, but I'll leave it there.

SirKadly

Squonk 'em if you got 'em
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
On Oklahoma, the narrator mentions Johnny Cash. Country music is not southern music. It's country music, which morphed from folk music forms that came here with settlers from England, France, Germany and Switzerland. You'll find it even in New York and rural New England, and elsewhere, everywhere, all the way up to Montana. A good example of southern music is the distinctive kind of folk-gospel tradition of Appalachia.

There's lots and lots more to say, but I'll leave it there.
On the Johnny Cash subject, he is in my opinion one of the perfect examples of the problem with trying to put artists in a box. Did he do country? Yes. He also did a little gospel, a little blues, a little rock and roll, and, well you get the idea. I don't care much for him being categorized as country when he was so multi-faceted in his song writing.

With that said, country music does tend to be dominated by artists from the south and the lyrics tend to frequently speak of the south. Midnight in Montgomery, Amarillo By Morning, Maybe It Was Memphis, and of course the Country Capital is Nashville, though I imagine there are some people in Austin who might take exception to that fact. So while country did evolve from folk as well as from "cowboy music" (which I guess maybe was derived from folk also when I think about it) it tends to be rooted in the south these days. Not that it isn't listened to elsewhere, but musicians in Chicago, Detroit and New York for example are far less likely to become country stars than musicians from Birmingham, Houston, or Little Rock.

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Good mornin Family :wave:
Just a quick stop in, haveta go get groceries, didn't get to go yesterday cause of the rain (pickup truck).;)
I hope everyone is well and havin a great day:)

May be an image of text that says 'Don't complicate life: Call Missing somebody? Wanna meet up? Invite Wanna Wannabeunderstood?-Explain Explain be understood? Have questions? -Ask Ask Don't like something? Fix Fixit it Like something? State it Want something? Work for it Love someone? Tell them Keep your life simple! THINKING MINDS'

Everyone have a safe and relaxin fourth

May be an image of fireworks and text

Last edited:

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Hardly anybody ever visits the bugs thread anymore. There used to be fairly good responses, and there were problems to be resolved after the forum changed hosts or servers or something, but for a long time now the responses are piss poor. You, Wolfie, are one of the few real problem resolution contributors there actually.

Otherwise, a lot of "duh, works fine for me".

"Well you're the only one bitching about it and you've reported it enough damn times. I'm sure Joe will look into it when he has time."
-Countrypami, 25Sep20 to a user

And now there is a nasty little bug there, pretending to be an expert and official responder, saying "you are a fucking idiot". His name is LazyChef or something like that. The people I can't stand on this forum are fewer than the number of fingers on one hand, but I'll never go back to that thread again as long as that little blob of slime is around.
Ok I have thought this over several times, I think to really get notice that we should all within the next few days go to the "BUGS" thread and individually complain, there is strength in numbers,

Bliss Doubt

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years

I didn't think I wanted to argue this further, but I hate stereotyping, mainly because people will miss so much of what is real, what is diverse, in all of the cultural treasures we have.

...country music does tend to be dominated by artists from the south and the lyrics tend to frequently speak of the south.

But again, what is "the south"?

...the Country Capital is Nashville...

When looking at country music, much of what has come from the era of recorded music and television entertainment is going to have that Nashville commercial production influence, but the real roots go back much further, to farm and ranch communities, saloons and honky-tonks, churches, isolated mountain cultures, the era when livestock shows (before commercial county funnel cake fairs) were meeting places for discoveries and local roots entertainment, etc. etc.

...So while country did evolve from folk as well as from "cowboy music" (which I guess maybe was derived from folk also when I think about it) it tends to be rooted in the south these days.

Again, what is "the south"? We have a lot of what you would call that "cowboy music" in Texas, derived from Texmex ranchera music as well as more recognizable country music forms, and dance forms such as the Schottische and others that morphed from square dancing.

"Cajun" country music arguably came from Canada with the Arcadians that came down the Mississippi, but it gets mixed in with radio country music formats.

Some argue the "blues" began in the Mississippi Delta, others say real blues started in Chicago.

You still are not distinguishing "southern" from "country". What is "the south"? No native Texan I've ever known would consider Texas to be part of "the south", nor have I ever heard Oklahoma and Arkansas referred to as "the south" before the vids you posted today.

The song "That's what I like about the south" was written by an Indiana musician. Eddie Rabbitt is from Brooklyn NY. I didn't mention the Irish origins of a lot of country music, and there are plenty of Irish in the northeast US (and elsewhere of course).

I suppose I'm making this discussion way more important than it should be.

2WhiteWolves

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
I'll try to get back here later. If it doesn't rain I'm going to a friend's pool party this afternoon. Even if it does rain we can have drinks and play cards inside. All good.
There was one time, I barely remember it. Was at someones house that were friends of dad and step mother for a pool party. All the adults were so drunk that it started to thunder, it wasn't too close, but was coming our way. As the storm approached lightning was coming with it of course. The adults didn't give a damn and let all of the children keep on swimming. Ok, bad ending to the story, cause that's all I remember.

Thankfully, it wasn't a electrical storm like the one my brother and I saw out on a lake. Boy, that was spectacular never saw anything like it. Lightning was just one after another had to been a over a hundred striking while it crossed the lake, it was so very intoxicating, intense and beautiful watching it go over the lake.

gopher_byrd

Cranky Old Fart
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Ok I have thought this over several times, I think to really get notice that we should all within the next few days go to the "BUGS" thread and individually complain, there is strength in numbers,
I did post on the bugs thread last night. Yesterday the forum sucked badly.

2WhiteWolves

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Had to clean out the water fountain. The tube that goes into the plastic watering/garden bucket needed to be cleaned badly tt was all green slimy and gross. The problem is its so long that pipe cleaners twisted together cannot handle the job, too flimsy. Geez had to think of something to wrap the pipe cleaners around. :idea: A cats play toy, lol. While I was trying the the first way with the pipe cleaners, I had to lock kitties into the bedroom, if I hadn't done this the kitties would have been trying to get to the pipe cleaners and wouldn't have ended well for me, lol. Anyway, the cats toy is long hard wire with a little knob at the end, which I thought would go into the tube with no problem. Of course, I was wrong, go figure, lol. Wrapped three long pipe cleaners around the hard wire, ok now, how do I get this knobie thingie off. :idea: Use a plier, YEY, got it off. Proceeded in cleaning the tube, and it worked :bliss:and this be the good thing for the day.
But oh boy kitties were all kinds of upset with me during the whole process of cleaning the tube :teehee: They were constantly climbing the rubber coated wire on the door and meowing throughout the hour or so of me pondering and cleaning of the tube.

SirKadly

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
"Cajun" country music arguably came from Canada with the Arcadians that came down the Mississippi, but it gets mixed in with radio country music formats.

Some argue the "blues" began in the Mississippi Delta, others say real blues started in Chicago.

What is "the south"? No native Texan I've ever known would consider Texas to be part of "the south", nor have I ever heard Oklahoma and Arkansas referred to as "the south" before the vids you posted today.
I have never heard anything on our country stations that could be classified as Cajun Country so I am curious about it. I'd love some examples that I could listen to. If I had to guess I would imagine there would be similarities to zydeco (something else I had never heard of until I got to know a NOLA native) in terms of incorporating some of the Native American traditions into the folk music brought by various groups to Louisiana?

The question of what is considered "the south" also depends a bit on where you live I suppose. Many in the Midwest absolutely consider Arkansas and Texas to be part of the south, though I'll admit I don't know anyone who thinks of Oklahoma as the south. Officially though, the Census Bureau does include it as part of the region they classify as the South.

Region 3: South
Division 5: South Atlantic (Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Maryland, North Carolina, South Carolina, Virginia, Washington, D.C., and West Virginia)
Division 6: East South Central (Alabama, Kentucky, Mississippi, and Tennessee)
Division 7: West South Central (Arkansas, Louisiana, Oklahoma, and Texas)

Anyway, my original point was that I didn't consider it fair to classify Cash as a country artist considering how varied his music was, and somehow we have gone quite far afield from that (my fault, I know) so perhaps we should either drop this discussion, or move it to PMs. But definitely enlighten me a bit on Cajun Country when you get the chance.

Last edited:

SirKadly

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
All right music fam, let's get the cookout started. Sorry, I don't have a smoker and I am no good at barbecue, but I can cook a mean frank. How do you like yours, burnt, extra burnt or turned to charcoal? And do you prefer the taste of lighter fluid or gasoline on your hot dogs?

On second thought, maybe someone else should man the grill. My hair still hasn't grown back since my last grilling (mis)adventure. But I'll at least provide the Freedom Franks.

1720128435152.png

VU Sponsors