Late Night in DIYland, take II

Chowder

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Hahahahahah......! Sorry Huck, I REALLY didn't mean to be belittling of bigoted towards you, but your flavor just isn't working on it's own! I just have to ask, were you vooping when you created that flavor, or just over ripe????

Cavediver

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Now I need to figure out a glass solution for my 12ml bottles of FA flavors. I think I'll put them in 15ml bottles.
Specialty Bottle carries amber or green 15ml euro-dropper bottles, starting at $.50 per. Unfortunately, that's going to add up real quick if you've got a flavor library like I do... That's about the cheapest option I've found for glass, be it vial, bottle, or whatever.

If you go with a non-dropper bottle, polycone caps are available for a small additional fee, but you have to call them to make the order (polycone caps can't be specified on-line).

Emilie

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Bottles arrived!

Although, I'm a little upset.

I ordered many polycone caps to go with the bottles I ordered and to replace some of the dripper caps I have on my current bottles (flavors that don't get used much). There are several cap sizes. They were all shipping in the same bag within the main shipping box. :(

Emilie

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
When your new ones arrive, put a coat (or two) of clear fingernail polish on them. They will last longer.

I'll do that! :)

RocketPuppy

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Bottles arrived!

Although, I'm a little upset.

I ordered many polycone caps to go with the bottles I ordered and to replace some of the dripper caps I have on my current bottles (flavors that don't get used much). There are several cap sizes. They were all shipping in the same bag within the main shipping box. :(
From where did you order?

Smoky Blue

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Unlisted Vendor
Member For 5 Years
YAY! My Zenith clone came in..... to China. Now, with any luck, it'll be here in 2 weeks.

I've been looking there to plan out my next order, with what sounds good. I was mainly looking for tailor-made recipes for the small stock I currently have.

the best thing i can tell you is never ever go by someone else's recipes..
try them at those given percentages, yes.. but..

you need to know your flavors.. and find your "spot" for each one..
you can and should experiment with as many companies as you feel you need to..
play with your juice and find your own happy spot.. :)

flowerpots

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Making this recipe now:

HIC's Kalev and Hussel recipe: dark and bold; blackcurrants accented with brandy, covered in dark bittersweet chocolate

2% FA Cocoa
1% FA Blackcurrant
1% FA Meringue
1% FA Fresh Cream
1% FA Brandy

But, I don't have many FA flavors so substituting with:

TFA Double Chocolate (Clear)
INA Black Currant
TFA Marshmallow
TFA Sweet Cream
TFA Brandy

So, the INA Black Currant is REALLY strong. I need to use a lower % for this flavor....

Last edited:

RocketPuppy

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Making this recipe now:

HIC's Kalev and Hussel recipe: dark and bold; blackcurrants accented with brandy, covered in dark bittersweet chocolate

2% FA Cocoa
1% FA Blackcurrant
1% FA Meringue
1% FA Fresh Cream
1% FA Brandy

INA Black Currant
TFA Marshmallow
TFA Sweet Cream
TFA Brandy
Sounds delicious as food. You'll definitely have to let us know how it came out with the subs.

flowerpots

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I can't tell if it needs to steep or the INA Black Currant is just too strong....so I'll let it steep a few days with the cap off, see what happens.

shynsly

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Here is what i use for my flavors, pretty economical.

And just a recommendation that you use glass when you use the ultrasonic as plastic will not let the vibrations through to your juice.
Also try using heat as that will work too, but keep it at 150 degrees or under to minimize nic loss.

Good luck in the Laboratory!!! :toast:

shynsly

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Using this scale now and it works fine.

RocketPuppy

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Everyone asleep? This is the only bad part about being from CA.

Chowder

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Nope, still here.same time zone.

flowerpots

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I'm here, too

flowerpots

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I have a question, for you guys.

Does measuring with a scale make that much difference in the consistency of your liquids?

I just read your post, RP, on the INA/CAP thread...

Going to amazon....

Chowder

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Measuring by weight is, by far, more accurate. So it will bring more consistency to your juices. But, it is really subjective if that's always a good thing. I have found some great vapes making a slight error. Then again, I've thrown 1 or 2 out also.

flowerpots

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Measuring by weight is, by far, more accurate. So it will bring more consistency to your juices. But, it is really subjective if that's always a good thing. I have found some great vapes making a slight error. Then again, I've thrown 1 or 2 out also.

That's a good point. I am still in the process of tweaking most of DIY stuff, even when using a recipe. So, maybe I should wait on that.

RocketPuppy

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Oh. I thought everyone was asleep. I ended up checking out other parts of the forum. I was super hesitant on getting a scale, but I needed something else from amazon and $10 more for free shipping. I find that trying to eye syringes was such a pain, and I love that there's no clean up. The scale measures to 0.01 grams, so even with a 5 ml tester, it works well.

Chowder

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Oh. I thought everyone was asleep. I ended up checking out other parts of the forum. I was super hesitant on getting a scale, but I needed something else from amazon and $10 more for free shipping. I find that trying to eye syringes was such a pain, and I love that there's no clean up. The scale measures to 0.01 grams, so even with a 5 ml tester, it works well.
I'm a medic, eyeballing syringes is what I do! But, when making bigger batches, measuring by weight would definitely have it's advantages!

Ld3441

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I'm awake too on the east coast. :)

I can see the advantage of a scale but here is what I do.
I have a base of 120mls made up in advance so all I have to do is get however much I am making at the time and add flavors. This system is working for me now but I may try out the scale down the road. I am still working on getting everything organized so I don't need something else to find a place for. I am waiting on 2 juice stands to be made now. One stand will have juice that I like to vape and the other will have test mixes. I am hoping this gets my juice organized a little. LOL

VapingJunkie

Down with the Clown
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I mix with a scale, and have VG, PG, and a diluted nic base all in their own bottles, so I don't have to eye syringes any more. All my flavors have dropper caps, so there's no clean-up, no contamination, and no messes!

flowerpots

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Good afternoon lovely people,

I checked out scales on amazon. I guess I'm not quite to scale mixing yet. I've got one on my saved list though.

RocketPuppy

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Good afternoon lovely people,

I checked out scales on amazon. I guess I'm not quite to scale mixing yet. I've got one on my saved list though.
I really can't express how hesitant I was, and of course looking back. I'm not sure why. Guess I was worried I'd be wasting money if I didn't like it.

flowerpots

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Making this recipe now:

2% FA Cocoa
1% FA Blackcurrant
1% FA Meringue
1% FA Fresh Cream
1% FA Brandy

INA Black Currant
TFA Marshmallow
TFA Sweet Cream
TFA Brandy

So, the INA Black Currant is REALLY strong. I need to use a lower % for this flavor....

The black currant toned down overnight, so this will need steeping if you use INA flavoring. There is still a strong alcohol note that needs to steep off though.

This a delicious recipe. I can't emphasis delicious enough. If you like to eat this type of candy, if you like black currant flavor at all, you will love this. The INA Black Current flavor is strong at 1% in this recipe. If you want a light to medium fruit flavor, you may want to bump it down to between 0.5% and 1%.

HeadInClouds

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
Unlisted Vendor
This a delicious recipe. I can't emphasis delicious enough. If you like to eat this type of candy, if you like black currant flavor at all, you will love this. The INA Black Current flavor is strong at 1% in this recipe. If you want a light to medium fruit flavor, you may want to bump it down to between 0.5% and 1%.

Hey flowerpots, could I persuade you to also comment where most people would find the recipe?: http://vapingunderground.com/threads/hics-kalev-and-hussel.3154/ The FA Blackcurrant is also strong but doesn't have the alcohol to deal with. It would also be awesome if you'd add your review of that Inawera flavoring on the DIY Reviews area. It sure needs some entries other than FA!

flowerpots

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years

flowerpots

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I'll post this here and in the malt flavor thread for a wide audience.

I'm making an ecigexpress order today and looking at trying another malt flavor. They have Organic Chocolate Malt by NF on sale right now for $2.49. Has anyone tried this?

VapingJunkie

Down with the Clown
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Get a juice calculator that does grams.

Sent from the Otter Box around my Galaxy S4.

RocketPuppy

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I need a good mixing by weight for dummies explanation... HOW DOES IS WORK?
If this doesn't help, let me know. The "nitty gritty" talks about it, but I'm pretty vague. I can definitely go into more detail.

You actually want a calculator that measures to 0.01 grams, especially with strong flavors like FA.

VapingJunkie

Down with the Clown
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Does ejuicemeup do it?
I believe so, but I use another program. Check my content to find it. The one I use has inventory functions to keep track of ingredients.

rowdyplace

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years

Attachments

• my-digital-scale.jpg
    my-digital-scale.jpg
    6 KB · Views: 9

HeadInClouds

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
Unlisted Vendor
You actually want a calculator that measures to 0.01 grams, especially with strong flavors like FA.

If you are weighing to the hundredth of a gram, I assume the calculator adjusts for varying density of the basic ingredients? Or do you have to account for alcohol-, pg-, vg-based ingredients' densities by hand? I've never considered mixing by weight for this reason.

VapingJunkie

Down with the Clown
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
If you are weighing to the hundredth of a gram, I assume the calculator adjusts for varying density of the basic ingredients? Or do you have to account for alcohol-, pg-, vg-based ingredients' densities by hand? I've never considered mixing by weight for this reason.
My juice program does this automatically.

RocketPuppy

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Great question. I use this, and it accounts for the varying densities. For the first few recipes, I weighed a ml of each and then did a little math and a little dance, and the end results were the same.

rowdyplace

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Maybe this will help: (Not my work - Borrowed from a knowledgeable person or group)

Mix by weight Densities:

PG: 1.036 g/ml
VG: 1.261 g/ml
PGA: 0.789 g/ml
Vodka: 0.938 g/ml
Water: 1 g/ml
Flavor: 1 g/ml

50/50 PG/VG: 1.149 g/ml
60/40 PG/VG: 1.126 g/ml
70/30 PG/VG: 1.104 g/ml
80/20 PG/VG: 1.081 g/ml

To be precise: flavor density depends on the base of the flavor.
PG based flavors are roughly 1.04 g/ml, alcohol based flavors are roughly 0.9 g/ml.
But taking an average of 1 g/ml for flavors is fine since the
difference is negligible and it's subjective.

ClaireW

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I label bottles with painters tape. Easy to write on. Easy to take off and leaves no residue.
Off to look at scales. Squirrel.

I just started doing the same. Don't know why I didn't start sooner! Although the graphic designer in me wants to make really cool labels ;-)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

ClaireW

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Happy Sunday everyone! I'm starting my day slow with a cup of chai and my usual ryy4d vape. Then some house chores.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

VU Sponsors