Become a Patron!

Vaping on the Front or back Porch

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Father in law wants me to help set a lettuce bed. He may put some onions in it as well. He doesn't want anything huge. Not sure who is supposed to be tending it once planted.

Know nothing at all about muddy clay here in WV, no, not a thing. *grin* Between it and wet grass/weeds on hills I often wonder how I keep living.

LAVapesQC

Bronze Contributor
ECF Refugee
Most "Greens" are extremely hardy and require little maintenance. I grow them year round, and while some seasons are sometimes better than others the plants have great rebound abilities to offset such times. We grow Arugula, Kale, Rape, Collards, and Lettuce year round, with of course some rotation of others. Most Leafy Greens do not require excellent soil either, and very little maintenance as long as you actually use the plants from time to time.

Rhianne

Diamond Contributor
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
giphy.gif

Hope everyone is having a good morning. It’s raining and I’ve got a sinus headache. And I’m out of coffee. So it’s just tea for me. :cry:

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
@LAVapesQC

The only thing I have growing year round is Oregano and Parsley. That can be buried under 2 feet of snow but when it melts it is still there~! Starting everything fresh in the Herb Garden this year. After a while it goes to weed.

Synphul

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Another couple potentially rainy days and some freezing overnight weather coming in a couple days. So long as the forecast doesn't change, most of the week looks solid in the 60's-70's. As with most projects, things didn't quite go to plan so had to sort it out and roll with it on the strawberry tower. Mostly because avoiding pressure treated I went with cedar and chose pickets over 5/4 decking. The decking is thicker and can be screwed into directly, 1/2" thick pickets are a bit slim for that. Granted I got a few more boards for other raised beds but the pickets ran me $58 for 15 of them, 6" wide 6ft long. If I'd gone with 5/4 cedar deck, 6" wide and 8ft long, 1.25" thick the price wasn't insignificant. $370.

So I'll take my lumps and embrace the minor to moderate suck of having to craft corner supports at odd angles. lol. The pipe in the center will get drilled out with perforations for watering down the center, 4 more shelves to go. 4ft tall, 32x32" at the base and 4.5" tall shelves. With the frames being drop-over should make it easier to fill or empty with dirt.

1617034481876.png

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Another couple potentially rainy days and some freezing overnight weather coming in a couple days. So long as the forecast doesn't change, most of the week looks solid in the 60's-70's. As with most projects, things didn't quite go to plan so had to sort it out and roll with it on the strawberry tower. Mostly because avoiding pressure treated I went with cedar and chose pickets over 5/4 decking. The decking is thicker and can be screwed into directly, 1/2" thick pickets are a bit slim for that. Granted I got a few more boards for other raised beds but the pickets ran me $58 for 15 of them, 6" wide 6ft long. If I'd gone with 5/4 cedar deck, 6" wide and 8ft long, 1.25" thick the price wasn't insignificant. $370.

So I'll take my lumps and embrace the minor to moderate suck of having to craft corner supports at odd angles. lol. The pipe in the center will get drilled out with perforations for watering down the center, 4 more shelves to go. 4ft tall, 32x32" at the base and 4.5" tall shelves. With the frames being drop-over should make it easier to fill or empty with dirt.

View attachment 180014

I had to find Plain Old Varnish which is a PITA these days~! Finally found it but when I went to check the railing I found a big freaking hole in a post where a Woodpecker went to town~! So I had to cut a round piece of word with a hole saw and do a little filing with a wood rasp. I used Gorilla Glue waterproof which expands so when it dries a quick hit with a scraper and should be done.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Found out I lost my freaking Glasses today~! FMS~! Been a long time since I had an Eye Exam except at DMV so looking at a few hundred dollars for a couple of new pairs. Anyone ever used Americas Best?

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Just for good measure in case coils are hard to get I bought a couple of RDA/RTA's yesterday.

1617105062569.png

Last edited:

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
Found out I lost my freaking Glasses today~! FMS~! Been a long time since I had an Eye Exam except at DMV so looking at a few hundred dollars for a couple of new pairs. Anyone ever used Americas Best?

My husband has used them. Personally, I wouldn't, because I order my glasses from eyebuydirect. I'd rather pay $100 for a pair of progressives than the $280 that he paid for 2 pairs and an exam. (Medicare covers my exams because I have an eye condition.)

He didn't have any problem with them, though. The scrip was done right and the glasses were decent quality and held up well. He'd not be one to want designer frames and all that, though, so I don't know how wide a selection of frames they have.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I just left the place which was very friendly and professional. Good selection and the progressive lenses in glass are a good price. I didn't make an appointment so I have to go back tomorrow for the Eye Test and to pick out my frames.

Last edited:

2WhiteWolves

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Signed and it must be another Petition because I thought I already signed it~!
A passport shouldn't determine whether one should be able to get food from a restaurant nor a grocery store or go to movie or whatever you want to do/go. Hmm...where's your star???
Was talking with my dad the other day. Him and his wife got the jab 'cause their 'friends' said if they didn't get it they wouldn't be allowed to be around them. WTH??? Well, if it were me...I guess you are not my friend !
What is our country turning into; why are the people letting it turn this way? I actually know why, but damn it's so very sad to see people turn on each other like that.

! WAKE UP ! from the MEDIA SPELL !

ajvapes

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
A passport shouldn't determine whether one should be able to get food from a restaurant nor a grocery store or go to movie or whatever you want to do/go. Hmm...where's your star???
Was talking with my dad the other day. Him and his wife got the jab 'cause their 'friends' said if they didn't get it they wouldn't be allowed to be around them. WTH??? Well, if it were me...I guess you are not my friend !
What is our country turning into; why are the people letting it turn this way? I actually know why, but damn it's so very sad to see people turn on each other like that.

! WAKE UP ! from the MEDIA SPELL !
Because some of us will die if we contract the virus....

ajvapes

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
you are correct , but it has shown to reduce the effects of the virus....I was replying to white wolves who was complaining about establishments requiring proof of vax..... if those that congregate after vax the risk is greatly reduced...

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
you are correct , but it has shown to reduce the effects of the virus....I was replying to white wolves who was complaining about establishments requiring proof of vax..... if those that congregate after vax the risk is greatly reduced...

Supposedly. I personally know a few people who had severe adverse effects from the Vax.

Troy44

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Some have died from getting the Vaccine............................. Just like the amount of people who died in Nursing Homes was not disclosed.
It's true my mom's cousin is dying right now in ICU. Within minutes of getting her 2nd
Supposedly. I personally know a few people who had severe adverse effects from the Vax.
My mom's cousin. Her very close friend is dying right now in ICU. Minutes after getting her 2nd Moderna.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
It's true my mom's cousin is dying right now in ICU. Within minutes of getting her 2nd

My mom's cousin. Her very close friend is dying right now in ICU. Minutes after getting her 2nd Moderna.

I am SO SORRY my friend~! Prayers for them and all of your family~~!

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I'm not exactly thrilled about getting my second Pfizer shot, which is coming up soon. Hell I didn't like the first one - but; family pressure.

My Mom is going to be 90 and she has a Heart Condition, but so many fucking A-Holes tell her why are you not getting it? Her answer is my Son tells me what you don't about the risk to certain people and the adverse affects people have had~! He doesn't want me to get it and my Heart Doctor did not recommend it.

Troy44

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
She may be his wife but no one ever told me what I do with my Dad may he Rest In Peace~!
I haven't had the chance to talk directly to him. When I call him she puts it on speaker always. I'll be honest I'm worried about him but he seems happy.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I would hate to say I Told You So to anyone but my feeling or beliefs are mine and mine alone. I try to educate others but I will not preach or rant and rave. Take what I tell you and do your own research. Remember I have never had a Flu Shot and NEVER HAD THE FLU~!

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I'm not anti vaccine. My kids are are up to date. This one no chance I'll be taking it until I'm forced. Like held down! I'll take my chances with covid!!

I am not Anti-Vax, don't get me wrong but untested, Vaccines that cause Severe Allergic reacts or are risky I am against. Especially these untested Vaccines that they are using Humans as Lab Rats for. I sign every petition for animal testing so why not human testing? What is the Guvermentals going to do throw me in jail? All the prisoners not vaccinated there is a real safe place huh?

Troy44

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I would hate to say I Told You So to anyone but my feeling or beliefs are mine and mine alone. I try to educate others but I will not preach or rant and rave. Take what I tell you and do your own research. Remember I have never had a Flu Shot and NEVER HAD THE FLU~!
Funny you say that. I never use to get sick. I was convinced by my boss to get the flu shot about 15 years ago. Since then I get sick every year!!

Last edited:

Synphul

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I had to find Plain Old Varnish which is a PITA these days~! Finally found it but when I went to check the railing I found a big freaking hole in a post where a Woodpecker went to town~! So I had to cut a round piece of word with a hole saw and do a little filing with a wood rasp. I used Gorilla Glue waterproof which expands so when it dries a quick hit with a scraper and should be done.
Sucks that basic things can be so hard to come by. And woodpeckers can be nuts, I've got a few who have found metal poles and go to town on them. Doesn't give him much food but makes a helluva racket lol. Sounds like you got it patched up.

On a side track, you seem like a handy soul so maybe I could ask and see what you think. I've got a compact 110v electric clothes dryer. Turned it on with a load of wet clothes, ran for like 3-4 min and abruptly stopped. Along with a delicious burnt smell and some smoke drifting out the vent pipe. Tore the back off it and have the drum out of it. The wire that melted in half was right at the inline fusible link, possible also referred to as a thermal fuse? Dunno, it's got a wire lead on either side fitted to a plastic housing that screws together. Inside is a tube style 20a fuse.

So one wire coming into the fusible link attaches with a factory crimp (insulated) directly to a black wire coming into the unit from the wall plug/wire, main power cord. The other side leaves out, crimps up with an insulated crimp to a brown wire headed for the door open/closed switch. Leaves the door switch and heads via another wire to one side of the high limit thermostat. So must be the main power to the heating element, broken by various safeties. The thermostat should it overheat at the heating element, the door switch so power is shut off when the door is open.

I'm failing to come up with anything else that looks to be faulty. Removed the cycling thermostat at the rear in the exhaust vent, checked with an ohm meter and got solid tone/continuity. Placed it in a frying pan on the stove on low heat and it popped and broke connection, then reset itself once it cooled. Can't confirm the exact temp but felt warm to mildly uncomfortable so guessing it's around the 140-150F range they're supposed to operate at. Checked the high limit thermostat by the heating element the same way, it too cut off when it heated up but took a bit longer (likely higher thermal limit). Only difference was when resting room temp upon connecting the leads from the meter the values jumped around a bit before settling to a closed steady circuit. Didn't notice the other doing so.

With the fused link, the end of the fuse where the wire melted through the metal cap on the end of the fuse looked kind of melted like the metal began to drip. Checked the fuse with the ohm meter, solid tone so the fuse itself didn't pop. The one end of the wire melted totally through just where it meets the shoulder of the fused link assembly. The other side is discolored and appears it was starting to melt as well. After unwrapping the wire bundle/wad of the electrical tape done from the factory, when I touched the fusible link the housing was loose feeling. Like not even finger tight. Just spun right off and opened up. Wondering if it was a loose connection at that fuse that caused the overheat until the wire took the brunt of it or if the overheating began melting the fusible link causing the loose connection that made matters worse.

I could just grab another fusible link and attach it for $10-15 but a number of people say they've done similar only to run their dryer 2-3 times and have it fail again immediately. So trying to find out what caused the failure in the first place. It has to have been a main power source because when the line failed everything shut down (except for the melting wire). It wasn't a case of no heat and tumbler spinning, the whole works stopped. Visual inspection, no other wires look singed, melted, discolored, none of the insulated crimps, everything appears to be fine. Maybe just vibration in the dryer worked that fused link a little loose until the sloppy contacts created a short and melted through the wire? Door switch works (confirmed), thermostats seem to engage as intended. Nothing downstream that should've caused an overload situation. And to boot it's a new wall outlet that I replaced a couple months ago. The old one was in there since I moved in and had gotten worn out/loose. I confirmed it was in order and properly wired and grounded when I replaced it.

This may help better illustrate. This is the inline fuse that burnt, the pink 'cut' on the power cord side is where the wire melted through entirely. Also looks a bit green like a corroded wire inside. The outside of the fuse housing at the wire is all bubbled/distorted right around where the end of the fuse would've been. The wire is fused/melted inside the coupler on that end. The other end is melted some inside as well. Basically failed at either of the fuse without the fuse itself popping which sounds like an issue. Maybe the fuse itself is what was faulty. Failure to pop or melted and fused itself back together instead of breaking the connection.

1617139841566.png

Last edited:

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Sucks that basic things can be so hard to come by. And woodpeckers can be nuts, I've got a few who have found metal poles and go to town on them. Doesn't give him much food but makes a helluva racket lol. Sounds like you got it patched up.

On a side track, you seem like a handy soul so maybe I could ask and see what you think. I've got a compact 110v electric clothes dryer. Turned it on with a load of wet clothes, ran for like 3-4 min and abruptly stopped. Along with a delicious burnt smell and some smoke drifting out the vent pipe. Tore the back off it and have the drum out of it. The wire that melted in half was right at the inline fusible link, possible also referred to as a thermal fuse? Dunno, it's got a wire lead on either side fitted to a plastic housing that screws together. Inside is a tube style 20a fuse.

So one wire coming into the fusible link attaches with a factory crimp (insulated) directly to a black wire coming into the unit from the wall plug/wire, main power cord. The other side leaves out, crimps up with an insulated crimp to a brown wire headed for the door open/closed switch. Leaves the door switch and heads via another wire to one side of the high limit thermostat. So must be the main power to the heating element, broken by various safeties. The thermostat should it overheat at the heating element, the door switch so power is shut off when the door is open.

I'm failing to come up with anything else that looks to be faulty. Removed the cycling thermostat at the rear in the exhaust vent, checked with an ohm meter and got solid tone/continuity. Placed it in a frying pan on the stove on low heat and it popped and broke connection, then reset itself once it cooled. Can't confirm the exact temp but felt warm to mildly uncomfortable so guessing it's around the 140-150F range they're supposed to operate at. Checked the high limit thermostat by the heating element the same way, it too cut off when it heated up but took a bit longer (likely higher thermal limit). Only difference was when resting room temp upon connecting the leads from the meter the values jumped around a bit before settling to a closed steady circuit. Didn't notice the other doing so.

With the fused link, the end of the fuse where the wire melted through the metal cap on the end of the fuse looked kind of melted like the metal began to drip. Checked the fuse with the ohm meter, solid tone so the fuse itself didn't pop. The one end of the wire melted totally through just where it meets the shoulder of the fused link assembly. The other side is discolored and appears it was starting to melt as well. After unwrapping the wire bundle/wad of the electrical tape done from the factory, when I touched the fusible link the housing was loose feeling. Like not even finger tight. Just spun right off and opened up. Wondering if it was a loose connection at that fuse that caused the overheat until the wire took the brunt of it or if the overheating began melting the fusible link causing the loose connection that made matters worse.

I could just grab another fusible link and attach it for $10-15 but a number of people say they've done similar only to run their dryer 2-3 times and have it fail again immediately. So trying to find out what caused the failure in the first place. It has to have been a main power source because when the line failed everything shut down (except for the melting wire). It wasn't a case of no heat and tumbler spinning, the whole works stopped. Visual inspection, no other wires look singed, melted, discolored, none of the insulated crimps, everything appears to be fine. Maybe just vibration in the dryer worked that fused link a little loose until the sloppy contacts created a short and melted through the wire? Door switch works (confirmed), thermostats seem to engage as intended. Nothing downstream that should've caused an overload situation. And to boot it's a new wall outlet that I replaced a couple months ago. The old one was in there since I moved in and had gotten worn out/loose. I confirmed it was in order and properly wired and grounded when I replaced it.

Look at this site. They have DIY Help for your appliance problems. When my Gas Dryer went on the fritz I found the specs for the heating element and had the part in 2 days~!

Synphul

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Look at this site. They have DIY Help for your appliance problems. When my Gas Dryer went on the fritz I found the specs for the heating element and had the part in 2 days~!

Thanks, it didn't come up with anything. It's an oddball, like chinese something or other 110v compact dryer. I found the fusible link/inline fuse. I could purchase and just swap for a new one. Was just wondering if you knew what else may cause that type of failure. Or if it even sounds like the failure was anything other than a loose fuse holder. Which could've cause a bad contact/arcing and the melting.

From what I can tell they don't sell my dryer anymore, a 'sonya' but they have a 'panda' model that looks identical. Guess I could just pop a new fuse/link in it and throw it back together, hope for the best. Before I sink another 300 into a new one. My ex gf did that when her dryer stopped 'drying' and it turned out to be a clogged vent with improper components that led to it clogging up. A $30 repair would've fixed it, she opted for a new dryer and matching washer that set her back like $2200. And still didn't dry because the vent was still clogged. lol.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Thanks, it didn't come up with anything. It's an oddball, like chinese something or other 110v compact dryer. I found the fusible link/inline fuse. I could purchase and just swap for a new one. Was just wondering if you knew what else may cause that type of failure. Or if it even sounds like the failure was anything other than a loose fuse holder. Which could've cause a bad contact/arcing and the melting.

From what I can tell they don't sell my dryer anymore, a 'sonya' but they have a 'panda' model that looks identical. Guess I could just pop a new fuse/link in it and throw it back together, hope for the best. Before I sink another 300 into a new one. My ex gf did that when her dryer stopped 'drying' and it turned out to be a clogged vent with improper components that led to it clogging up. A $30 repair would've fixed it, she opted for a new dryer and matching washer that set her back like $2200. And still didn't dry because the vent was still clogged. lol.

From my IT Training I will never forget the 1st thing I learned which was Check the Physical~!

Synphul

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
How I found the melted wire in the back of the dryer.

1617155967310.png

The fuse in rough shape (but still not blown)

1617156036871.png

Heavy pitting of the fuse end.

1617156077440.png

The contact inside the fuse holder and the other wire that didn't totally burn through.

1617156130596.png

Got some crimp style butt connectors to match what was installed from the factory ordered, along with a new fuse assembly. Thinking maybe once it's installed and screwed together I may tape it to prevent it from unscrewing due to vibration. If that's what happened. The fuse not being blown seems there's no overload. Just a poor/loose connection that led to arcing and eventually melted the wire through.

VU Sponsors