Become a Patron!

Vaping on the Front or back Porch

walton

Gold Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Reddit Exile
Can agree, many down trodden face things which break them. We may fuss and bluster there's always a choice. Sometimes folks don't make better choices for needing to simply survive. Other times any better choices are withheld from folks due to circumstance, situation, economy, any number of rationale.

My wife has our 1 vehicle, a Jeep Patriot. We have only ever had 1 vehicle. Yes, I think it would be nice if we could manage a "spare". Still though we can only use 1 vehicle at a time. We've not really considered a second vehicle beyond, "well, it would add more expense." That usually ends the consideration for us, extra expense we cannot really afford.

We don't own a refrigerator. Wife does have a stand up freezer though. Unfortunately it is 80-90% packed full of stuff from her sister & BIL. The fridge they have is full of wasted crap. Me & wife have very little if anything in it.

Me and wife are practical folks. We're the sort what don't buy excess to the point of excess. Yes, some things we like keeping a small stock on, but these are usually staples. We both had grandparents that come up through the Depression. We're not like your common hipsters.

Me & her come from an old world. If we're struggling we sturggle like everyone else struggles. We don't beg, steal or exactly ask for hand outs. Yes, we've used state funded help. We pay into that like everyone else, that's why it's there. We got help and now are doing better, no longer do we get help. Someone else can use the help we had.

Apologies but we're damn proud folks. We earn what we get and get what we earn. Rough is it to let someone judge without them knowing a whit. Now you know and still you cannot judge because you don't know all. I don't judge, or make very stringent efforts to not do so. That isn't for me to do.

Might be Agnostic/Atheist but still don't feel morally or ethically correct to judge others. How can someone do that? That is the exact reason we've hunger in the world. "Oh, they're poor, let them starve for they're not worth feeding." And that is the current political / social will. We'll not change a thing until that changes.

i used to set with an old drunk *. Excuse that word for it isn't the other "N word", that word is used for people who do prove themselves trash. A white person can be that. My old drunk would come into a restaurant I worked at, have a coffee, maybe sometimes I'd talk him into a buffet hot plate.

He would tell me about being a hobo during the great migration. That was when * from the South went up North to Chicago and to the West. They were looking for better lives in places that would not support better lives. The same pie in the sky lived there just like it did in the South.

After a bit I got him "helping" me out. He did light stuff. I never wanted him handling too much. He was beaten down from life as well as his drinking. I would pay him a bit here and there. It wasn't charity, it was having someone offer a bit of help for a few dollars. I looked him in the eye all the time.

I had no disrespect for him, no judging. He was someone that had seen life's roughness. He drank to help cut away pain, sadness, memory. Yes, he knew it was killing him. Yes, he disliked needing the drink. Yes, he did try going sober. I saw him sober for three months. Finally, told him to go get a bottle.

Some can manage, others cannot. There was no shame in his drinking. Yes, he felt shame. But none was there for what he'd lived through. It killed him the more so to stay sober and we all there saw that. The drinking was his mercy.

Moved away from that area. Heard a few years back they had found him in his state rented apartment. Nobody doubted what had happened. He drank himself to sleep and didn't wake despite the heart attack. There was a note, "tell my boy it's okay." Nobody really understood that except an old gal. She told me he said it was okay. I give her a small handsome sum of money to donate to their church in his name.

I've also looked in the eyes of the wealthy, in the leaders, in the average. Can walk with kings or commons the same. I live as death sets for an example, there's no bigotry, no prejudice. Can I walk in "Any Man's" shoes? I think I can and do so to the best I can.

Sorry if this has been long. Sorry too if it seems convoluted and obscure. Sometimes we got things need said and so say them.

* Edited by moderator
it was not too long. it was beautifull and it showed you and your wife to be good people. as i said on the streets, it could be me or you next, everyone is merely one or two steps away, and everyone deswrves respect.
have a great day, you sound like a nice couple.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Yes I was warned and flagged for inappropriate language. Thought I framed it in context so as to not be a slur. My error, two moderators tagged me. Apologies to everyone here or what may come.

Will strive to mind my words far better. This apology is of my own accord and not due to the moderation. Yes, I was moderated. No, they didn't command or instruct me to apologize. Doing so because I realized I did wrong and hope to atone.

Again, sincerely sorry. Knew better, not sure why I goofed but I did.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
If you were to read the Bible you would find that the followers of The Way are instructed by Jesus to be as you described (not judgmental, kind, compassionate, not living in excess of worldly things, etc.).

*nods* It is found in some aspects of Hinduism, Judaism, and believe it or not Satanism, Zoroastrianism, Rosicrucian, Janism, Gnosticism, Islam and many other religious faiths. There is an ethical, moral core uniting these all.

As I've said, grew up around Mennonites, Baptists, Brethren and had a solid Christian upbringing. Mom never had her boys baptized. That was for us to decide when we turned eighteen. We got the Christianity until then because "mom's house, mom's rules."

Went on for myself and explored a good number of faiths, philosophies, ways. Come to conclude I can only honestly say, "I don't know". Does X exist? I don't know. There's a lot I don't know, some I do. My view is I don't need rewards or punishments to be a good person. That ought to be a duty we each choose to uphold.

Why? Well, you see that life goes better if you work together. That infers you act to a standard, be a good person. And it's not always being self serving either. For example, I'm proud @nadalama & @Countrypami both moderated my error of language. It shows they're really being helpful to our community here. That raises all of us up.

I'm also glad when people do nice stuff for others like offering free blankets to homeless. These things though don't require some kind of imagined reward or punishment. It is simply common sense. Then again, ... well I close there as I too am rambling. :D :)

MarkS

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Yes I was warned and flagged for inappropriate language. Thought I framed it in context so as to not be a slur. My error, two moderators tagged me. Apologies to everyone here or what may come.

Will strive to mind my words far better. This apology is of my own accord and not due to the moderation. Yes, I was moderated. No, they didn't command or instruct me to apologize. Doing so because I realized I did wrong and hope to atone.

No butt hurt here. I tend to think of myself as not easily offended. I do understand the sensitivity of the Mods toward it. Unfortunately, my parents, in general, had a dim view of people of color. I understand that it came from their life experiences but I can’t understand why they would apply it in general. What makes a person is what’s on the inside and not outward appearance.

Last edited:

walton

Gold Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Reddit Exile

thats life friend, we all make mistakes.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
What makes a person is what’s on the inside and not outward appearance.

I agree in whole heart. Know the other word that I didn't use. Got taught it was used to describe trash. Was also taught even trash deserves respect, a chance to be. The word I used I've used around various folks who sometimes do use it to refer to themselves.

Still there was no excuse of my using it here. Rules are clear. The rules are there too for the fine line gray areas of speech too. Our community here is civil and inclusive. My language may have been seen to promote a different "message", one I was not seeking to present.

Think you & me both grew up coming into what some call the New South. We know what is what and how the language, culture, society works. We can see the "old" way of hate surpassed by the way of love. As such we are likely more to account. I goofed, apologized.

Humans make mistakes and it seems not even the better of us are excluded from mistakes. It happens.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years

I thought I read your post and I didn't see anything against any rules or what would offend any Snowflakes??

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Worked my ass off out in the cold today what should have been a couple of hours worth of work turned into a project. I did do extra stuff since it got nice out but my hands are messed up from the cold~! Or is it from the Impact guns? Maybe the Hammering and grinding? LMAO~!

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Good afternoon Porch goers

May be an image of dog and text that says 'A dog's love can make even the worst days so much better.'

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
I read it this morning and it wasn't edited. Maybe I am just not easily offended? Fuck em if they can't take a Joke............................... I have always said~!

I'm not going to get drawn into a discussion about this, but I will ask if you folks would prefer that I stop posting in this thread. I'll respect a consensus.

@MyMagicMist seems to understand the situation, and any discussion should really be between him, me, and the forum admins if he has an issue. There was no flaming, no fuss, and no disrespect.

The post WAS edited; I did it myself.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Throwing out the trash this morning I started looking up what kind of bulbs are in the New Plow Lights I installed because I never heard of Tungsram before. Still new to install the Plow Blade this morning and Aim the Plow Lights but it started snowing already~! Just a light snow right now and supposed it is Snow Showers.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I'm not going to get drawn into a discussion about this, but I will ask if you folks would prefer that I stop posting in this thread. I'll respect a consensus.

@MyMagicMist seems to understand the situation, and any discussion should really be between him, me, and the forum admins if he has an issue. There was no flaming, no fuss, and no disrespect.

Since I started this thread I think that I should have final decision~! You and everyone is welcome here as long as there is No Flaming or other Troll Behavior and I look forward to your posts. No one should make anyone feel unwanted~! Just my 50¢~!

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years

I felt no disrespect in being reminded of the rule/s. Openly admitted that yes I did break them, after I looked at the Wikipedia page.

Thought what I had used was not considered that except in different context. I was wrong. I made a mistake. We all do at times. Again, really not upset at being reminded of the rules.

My apology here was an open one to other forum members, and it was sincere. That apology was not intended to convey me being upset at any moderator. In fact I'm happy to have been reminded, corrected.

Had no issue with nor do I have any issue with any moderator. I understand the rules and agree they're quite fair. If I did have issue, it would be handled directly with the person/s and privately.

I would grant permission for moderators to make that public if they chose. I'm as transparent as the moderators here. The moderators here do an excellent job, unlike other places.

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
Please everyone, don't let this stifle conversation this morning. Wasn't my intention to make things awkward.

Is anyone else seeing snow yet? It's supposed to start here around mid-day, with up to 60mph winds. Yikes! I thought it was coming from the south, but that doesn't make sense if Steve has it already and we don't. He must be getting lake-effect snow or some other system, else I'm just confused about the weather report.

Last edited:

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Please everyone, don't let this stifle conversation this morning. Wasn't my intention to make things awkward.

You didn't stifle anything~! Since it started snowing already I mounted the Blade and aimed the Plow lights~! Went to the Liquor Store to stock up on Wine and now going to the Market for some fish for dinner after I have a cup of coffee.

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
You didn't stifle anything~! Since it started snowing already I mounted the Blade and aimed the Plow lights~! Went to the Liquor Store to stock up on Wine and now going to the Market for some fish for dinner after I have a cup of coffee.

I'm surprised you aren't making a stew or something. That's what I always think of doing when the white stuff is falling. Might go digging in the freezer later on, myself.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
It was light and small flakes this morning early. Gradually went to larger flakes. The whole time it's been a steady but slow consistently snowing. Got started looking at a Netflix Original today.

About half having an internal debate regarding driving. If I could drive there's more open for me. It's a matter of my setting aside my terror and forcing myself to learn and do. It's something I'll deal with, and only I can.

2WhiteWolves

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
About half having an internal debate regarding driving. If I could drive there's more open for me. It's a matter of my setting aside my terror and forcing myself to learn and do. It's something I'll deal with, and only I can.
My nephew don't drive, he don't like to drive. How he explained... Too much happening around him, that his brain is unable to process it all.
He's very intelligent, just something in his brain that doesn't click together with driving.

! WAKE UP ! from the MEDIA SPELL !

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
f328a730e295504153d504707863c230.gif

It maybe the Weekend but the Threat of a Nor Easter has had me working for the last two days outside in the cold~! I didn't need to but I actually put a switch in my truck for the Plow lights since I replaced them I had a whole new wiring Harness for them so now I don't need to open the hood to connect the wires~! LMFAO.

Shoemakers Shoes or just fucking lazy? It is actually a hidden switch since where I mounted it the harness should have been longer and I wasn't in the Mood to extend it.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Right now I am just enjoying some Cold Ones while I look at Dopler Radar Weather Maps and out the window. I believe the NWS more that Local Media and my own Eyes for a TRUE opinion on what is actually happening~!

1643402711726.png

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon

Is anyone else seeing snow yet? It's supposed to start here around mid-day, with up to 60mph winds. Yikes! I thought it was coming from the south, but that doesn't make sense if Steve has it already and we don't. He must be getting lake-effect snow or some other system, else I'm just confused about the weather report.

Quoting my own post now....forecast has been changed and it looks like that wind will only be far north of us. It still has not snowed or even rained at all, and the temp is 44 degrees. It may be snowing a thousand feet up in the sky, but it sure ain't snowing down here.

Locally I'm about ready to say this is a lot of hoo-hah over nothing. But I guess we'll see in the morning. I hope I don't have to eat my words.

Steve, I'll be thinking about you out on the roads, if that's how it turns out for you. Hope you'll be careful - I can't even imagine driving in blizzard conditions like you could have.

@MyMagicMist do you drive a golf cart or an ATV? I understand about "movement phobias," if that's what you have. I tried to get hubbs to teach me to drive a motorcycle years ago, and I just froze completely up when I got on the thing. I couldn't get myself to let it move at all. He eventually got completely irritated with me and went back in the house. I also have an irrational fear of carnival rides, very nearly had a nervous breakdown on the one and only roller coaster ride I've ever been on - you guys would have died laughing, because it wasn't even a full size roller coaster, and I was having a right conniption.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Steve, I'll be thinking about you out on the roads, if that's how it turns out for you. Hope you'll be careful - I can't even imagine driving in blizzard conditions like you could have.

I have been Snow Plowing for close to 40 years and I have been out in the worst of conditions you could ever imagine. It is second nature to me these days and when I have assholes on the road I either drop the blade and stop them or I hit the brakes and stop to watch them fuck up~!

Years ago I saw one of the most amazing things which was Thunder Snow with Lighting~! Truly amazing and a sight to see. I used to get hyped out but now I just do what I have to do at a pace. I guess it comes from experience or getting older I don't know and don't care~! LMFAO

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years

It snowed a little here earlier but just east of us it snowed more

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I have been Snow Plowing for close to 40 years and I have been out in the worst of conditions you could ever imagine. It is second nature to me these days and when I have assholes on the road I either drop the blade and stop them or I hit the brakes and stop to watch them fuck up~!

Years ago I saw one of the most amazing things which was Thunder Snow with Lighting~! Truly amazing and a sight to see. I used to get hyped out but now I just do what I have to do at a pace. I guess it comes from experience or getting older I don't know and don't care~! LMFAO
We get thunder and lightening snows here for the past 20 years, was really strange the first time

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
We get thunder and lightening snows here for the past 20 years, was really strange the first time

Being out at 4-5AM in a Blizzard trying to keep up with keeping my accounts open it was one of the most amazing things I ever saw in my whole life. These days I have a Dashcam so it will be recorded~!

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
My nephew don't drive, he don't like to drive. How he explained... Too much happening around him, that his brain is unable to process it all.
He's very intelligent, just something in his brain that doesn't click together with driving.

It's similar with me. I have difficulty processing everything "coming in". Then, I feel trapped, flight or fright and well I get fright. I literally get paralyzed behind the wheel.

Yet, I can operate various equipment okay. Though usually said equipment isn't going on the roads. Tractors might for short distances and folks usually let you go your pace with those.

Driving a car or pickup, I have big trouble. Seems though I'm forced to it in order to much of anything of value in life. I've tried explaining it to my wife, that it seems a disability for me and further seems society excludes you if you don't drive.

She fussed and told me that isn't so. Maybe showing her that even to get educated in the trades you're required to drive will validate my point for her. Of course, she may be right on one hand it's not discrimination if everyone is required to do it.

Then again, how discriminatory does closing one out of society need to be to be called discrimination? So there's my debate, force myself to do something I feel no capacity to do to do other stuff, or don't force it yet take only what I'm "allowed" to do.

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Being out at 4-5AM in a Blizzard trying to keep up with keeping my accounts open it was one of the most amazing things I ever saw in my whole life. These days I have a Dashcam so it will be recorded~!
It amazed me the first time, makes you think all kinds of things. Our first one about 20 years ago came with a blizzard we got about 20+ inches over night

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
@MyMagicMist do you drive a golf cart or an ATV?

I think if I could get a little time to get used to it, yes I could drive a golf cart. Not sure about an ATV though. Have driven motorcycles limited, rode them. I've operated a bulldozer, a tank, forklift (tow motor), farm tractors, riding mowers, Bobcat (or bobcat styled "brush-hogs"), even used a backhoe once for a bit and was okay.

I just have trouble in cars/trucks like what you drive on the road & maybe it's a bit of slight autism, maybe claustrophobia. Not sure exactly but know I freeze up. Christy had to pry my fingers off a steering wheel once or twice.

My youngest brother is very *ahem* laid back. He tried teaching me to drive. Finally he told me to get in the passenger seat. He was not saying it to be mean but simply point of fact. "You'll not ever drive. You just are not able."

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
It amazed me the first time, makes you think all kinds of things. Our first one about 20 years ago came with a blizzard we got about 20+ inches over night

If my Memory Serves me Right we had a storm that lasted for 2 days and I hardly got any sleep because back in those days I did plowing for my Boss but he did collect I did and I also got paid my normal Salary so it was fuck sleep and just work~! Those were $2.500 Dollars days~! Wish I still had his customers~!

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
It's similar with me. I have difficulty processing everything "coming in". Then, I feel trapped, flight or fright and well I get fright. I literally get paralyzed behind the wheel.

Yet, I can operate various equipment okay. Though usually said equipment isn't going on the roads. Tractors might for short distances and folks usually let you go your pace with those.

Driving a car or pickup, I have big trouble. Seems though I'm forced to it in order to much of anything of value in life. I've tried explaining it to my wife, that it seems a disability for me and further seems society excludes you if you don't drive.

She fussed and told me that isn't so. Maybe showing her that even to get educated in the trades you're required to drive will validate my point for her. Of course, she may be right on one hand it's not discrimination if everyone is required to do it.

Then again, how discriminatory does closing one out of society need to be to be called discrimination? So there's my debate, force myself to do something I feel no capacity to do to do other stuff, or don't force it yet take only what I'm "allowed" to do.
I agree with you my friend, if you don't feel comfortable with driving then you sure shouldn't and that, IMHO should qualify you for full disability, but I have no control over that:(

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
If you
I think if I could get a little time to get used to it, yes I could drive a golf cart. Not sure about an ATV though. Have driven motorcycles limited, rode them. I've operated a bulldozer, a tank, forklift (tow motor), farm tractors, riding mowers, Bobcat (or bobcat styled "brush-hogs"), even used a backhoe once for a bit and was okay.

I just have trouble in cars/trucks like what you drive on the road & maybe it's a bit of slight autism, maybe claustrophobia. Not sure exactly but know I freeze up. Christy had to pry my fingers off a steering wheel once or twice.

My youngest brother is very *ahem* laid back. He tried teaching me to drive. Finally he told me to get in the passenger seat. He was not saying it to be mean but simply point of fact. "You'll not ever drive. You just are not able."

If you can drive a Tank you can drive anything they put on the road these days~!

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I agree with you my friend, if you don't feel comfortable with driving then you sure shouldn't and that, IMHO should qualify you for full disability, but I have no control over that:(

Both my trains of thought. I mean I know there's complete idiots that have no business driving even if they can. I know I don't drive but I do know proper driving when I see it. Know that me freezing up would put more than me at risk. So to me I'm being more responsible to not drive knowing I'm not able.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
If you

If you can drive a Tank you can drive anything they put on the road these days~!

Don't I wish it were so simple. Thing with tanks even buildings get out of your way. *chuckles*

Besides driving a tank for me was not a good experience. Likely I would not have enjoyed submarines either.Both are very cramped up.

And yes, well aware of the quote by Chief Red Cloud "Courage is setting aside fear to do something more important." Yes, I'm courageous. I've faced my fears time and time again, not ever conquered these ones, unfortunately.

Last edited:

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Don't I wish it were so simple. Thing with tanks even buildings get out of your way. *chuckles*

Besides driving a tank for me was not a good experience. Likely I would not have enjoyed submarines either.Both are very cramped up.

And yes, well aware of the quote by Chief Red Cloud "Courage is setting aside fear to do something more important." Yes, I'm courageous. I've faced my fears time and time again, not ever conquered these ones, unfortunately.

Well if you drive the right vehicle it could be like a Tank~!

VU Sponsors